PDA

View Full Version : Changeling wardrobe

Zom B
2010-04-25, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking of playing a changeling in an Eberron campaign I'll be joining shortly. I've not played one yet but I read here that their racial shapeshifting does not affect their possessions. Are there any items in any book (I'm guessing it'd be psionic) that let you change its form, so that I can change the appearance of my clothing? I'm not wanting to go with a Hat of Disguise so much as just clothing that can change itself.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-25, 08:00 PM
A Hat of Disguise is really the only thing I can think of that would help, unless you feel like dropping 20,000 gp for a few Wilding Clasps.

Edit: Misread the question. A Hat of Disguise is really the only way to go.

Seffbasilisk
2010-04-25, 08:02 PM
There's 'shiftweave' in Eberron IIRC, which changes the clothing to match.

Ring of Arming if you really want a few choices to just swap through, armor and weapons too...

Lysander
2010-04-25, 08:03 PM
A hat of disguise can easily be refluffed into being a shirt of disguise.

The Shadowmind
2010-04-25, 08:03 PM
Shiftweave is 5 changing outfits in one. MiC.

Zom B
2010-04-25, 08:10 PM
A hat of disguise can easily be refluffed into being a shirt of disguise.

The reason I don't want a hat of disguise or a shirt of disguise is not because I need the head slot but because if I wore that there's no point in me being a changeling and I was hoping that something that just changes your clothing or clothing that changed form but not your appearance would be cheaper.

I'll look up shiftweave. Thank you, although I was thinking of something where I could go, "I'm taking on the appearance of the unconscious guard, and changing my clothing to match, right down to the tabard with the organization's crest on it." Shiftweave wouldn't allow that. (Yes, I know I could just put on his outfit, but I'm trying to make an example on the fly.)

Ravens_cry
2010-04-25, 08:10 PM
Shiftweave is 5 changing outfits in one. MiC.
Do they have the special properties of the outfits? Such as, can you have the +5 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saves against cold conditions of cold weather gear and other be the courtiers outfit?

Prime32
2010-04-25, 08:17 PM
The reason I don't want a hat of disguise or a shirt of disguise is not because I need the head slot but because if I wore that there's no point in me being a changelingThe bonuses stack, so a changeling with a hat of disguise gets a +20 bonus on Disguise checks.

Lysander
2010-04-25, 08:27 PM
Maybe your DM will as a houserule allow you to form clothes out of your own body and allow you to technically walk around naked while clothed? It's a pretty common shapeshifter trick in movies/tv/books/comics and I don't see the harm if it provides no benefit other than for disguises.

Frosty
2010-04-25, 08:27 PM
Their racial ability is identical to that of Disguise Self (actually, is strictly better. anything Disguise Self does the racial ability also does), and they do not stack.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-25, 08:28 PM
Simple version? Wear clothes that are a big baggy on your "small size" (not actually small, but in the 5'2" range), but will also fit your "large size". Assuming you're about 5'6", you're looking at clothes that are very baggy, probably with drawstrings at the cuffs (so you can tie the cuffs up to your elbows and knees when short, or just let them loose when big). You might want to take some points in Rope Use... you know a few knots which will quickly let you adjust your belt or cuffs. A cloak with a hood is another good option; you can change a few details relatively easily, looking more half-elven or half-orcish without much effort, or change hair colors.

Zom B
2010-04-25, 08:30 PM
Their racial ability is identical to that of Disguise Self (actually, is strictly better. anything Disguise Self does the racial ability also does), and they do not stack.

Um, go read Changeling again.

Changelings have the supernatural ability to change their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions.

Actually, by that reading, it is possible to walk around naked and make my body look like clothes. I wonder if the effect would be like somebody wearing body paint, though.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 08:35 PM
There is the vestement of many style in RoE, which "lets the wearer akter its outward appeareance". and is dirt cheap to boot (500 gp)

Kosjsjach
2010-04-25, 08:35 PM
The Vestment of Many Styles (Races of Ebberon) is exactly what you want.

EDIT: ninjaaaaaaaas!!!

vp21ct
2010-04-25, 08:39 PM
What I tend to do is have a Havversack and lots of clothes in it. Throw in a disquise kit (for things like fake jewelry, believable make-up, and the like) and you should be good.

Zom B
2010-04-25, 08:45 PM
Poifect. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

ungulateman
2010-04-25, 08:47 PM
If you're cheap, just buy a bunch of cloth clothing (1 gp). Armour is a bit less practical for that though.

If you have a Bag of Holding, problem solved.

Voice of Reason
2010-04-26, 01:00 AM
Um, go read Changeling again.

Actually, although Changeling provides a +10 circumstance bonus on disguise checks and Disguise Self provides a +10 untyped bonus (who in their right mind made it untyped anyways!?), the disguise skill lists all spells that "alter your form" under one category. Disguise Self and the Changeling's ability both give this same bonus to the disguise check. They do not stack. Saying that they do stack is akin to stating that Disguise Self and Deceptive Facade stack for a +20 untyped bonus to disguise (and likewise with polymorph, alter self, shapeshift, etc.).

I would second (third, fourth?) the Vestment of Many Styles