PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding race

Morth
2010-04-25, 09:02 PM
http://www.pokewiki.de/images/7/7a/Art-Lucario.jpg

What race do you think fits it best? I'm totally serious, despite the comedic circumstance.

Catch
2010-04-25, 09:07 PM
A Marrulurk, from Sandstorm. Small-sized, high Dex and Wis, innate sneak attack and death attack. Downside is 3 racial HD and +1 LA.

There's also the Lupin race from the Dragon Magazine Compendium, or a re-flavored Gnoll for a quick fix.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 09:09 PM
Marrulurk from sandstorm (they are jackals!!!).... can fake Aura Sphere with eldritch blast:smallbiggrin:

Edit:....ninjas :smallyuk:

Morth
2010-04-25, 09:11 PM
Marrulurk from sandstorm (they are jackals!!!).... can fake Aura Sphere with eldritch blast:smallbiggrin:

Actually, the character was going for Monk/Sorc/Enlightened Fist/Master of the Unseen Hand... Underpowered? Maybe, but it fits the style of an unarmed character that can use aura for ranged attacks with his fists and such.

-Edit: Also, any that have no level adjustment?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-25, 09:21 PM
Phrenic anthropomorphic badger.

PSYCHIC RAEG

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-25, 09:40 PM
Ring the Golden Bell feat from Dragon Compendium.

Punch at range (25ft +5ft * wis mod) for (I think) Wis mod +3 times per day!

(Don't get mad if I got it slightly wrong... my hard drive with all my D&D stuff did a major crash & burn and I'm on vacation right now.)

Morth
2010-04-26, 08:01 PM
Any wit ha level adjustment of 1 or less, so I can be relatively close to a human or other base race?

The Rabbler
2010-04-26, 08:08 PM
most races with any beyond-average traits will have a LA, as will most templates. if all you want is to look like this, you could go changeling and look however you like. if you want a race that actually confers some helpful benefits, homebrew it up!

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 08:26 PM
You want to be an LA 0 Pokemon.

...Yeah.

Darrin
2010-04-26, 08:51 PM
Hegeyokai Fox (Oriental Adventures) in hybrid form.

Morth
2010-04-26, 09:08 PM

...Yeah.

More or less. :)

Pluto
2010-04-26, 09:58 PM
If you're going to be refluffing a race, why not just scratch out a new one?
D&D races are pretty formulaic for the most part: +2 one ability, -2 to another, a couple skill bonuses and a minor ability to define it.

So say something like Small, 20ft move, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, 5 lb telekinesis at will, +4 to jump and sense motive, and you're done.

Or what Darrin said.

Geiger Counter
2010-04-26, 10:04 PM
I was planning to use this for a custom race but why not give it a tongue that is mechanically identical to a whip, except you can't drop it.

gorfnab
2010-04-27, 02:23 AM

...Yeah.
Not exactly the pokemon you're looking for:

Beguiler (Shining South) Incarnate with the Lightning Gauntlets soulmeld :smalltongue:

And then there is this one: Ling Ling (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1276.0) :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-27, 02:50 AM
Actually, the character was going for Monk/Sorc/Enlightened Fist/Master of the Unseen Hand... Underpowered? Maybe, but it fits the style of an unarmed character that can use aura for ranged attacks with his fists and such.

No no no, go Monk 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Enlightened Fist 5/ Master of the East Wind 10, get 18/20 Sorcerer spellcasting and 16/20 Monk abilities. You'd want to dump Wis and get Ascetic Mage at 6th, and I'd pick up Draconic Heritage and Draconic Breath and eventually get Blinding Breath as a spell known. Not too underpowered later on when you can Wraithstrike + Flurry + Shivering Touch, and you can even pick up Persistent Spell at around 15 for Shield, Bladeweave, Wraithstrike, Displacement, etc. Don't forget to use a Lesser Rod of Extend on short-duration swift-action spells like Wraithstrike and Bladeweave, since a spontaneously cast spell won't get its casting time increased for metamagic unless the normal casting time is a standard action or longer.

DragonBaneDM
2010-04-27, 10:50 AM
I say shifter! =D