PDA

View Full Version : Getting a feat early

Trekkin
2010-04-25, 09:05 PM
Is it possible to fake either an HD requirement or a level requirement for a feat? I'm trying to get Undead Leadership to qualify for Lord/Lady of the Dead (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x), but before sixth level.

Also, do the reward rules in Fiend Codex II let you get a specific feat as the additional feat?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-04-25, 09:09 PM
Is it possible to fake either an HD requirement or a level requirement for a feat? I'm trying to get Undead Leadership to qualify for Lord/Lady of the Dead (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x), but before sixth level.

HD requirements may be "cheated" via Bard's singing you some bonus HD, but that would require them to do so 24/7. Plus, you would still lose the feat if you suddenly lost the minimum HD. My suggestion is to have a warforged bard as such.

Level requirements may be bypassed via Dragonwrought Kobold shenanigans, as long as said feats are epic, so it's probably of no use to you here.

AslanCross
2010-04-25, 09:10 PM
Even if you did fake it, faking things is usually temporary, and once the faking effect wears off you lose the benefits of the feat. As such, I doubt it's possible. The only way to bypass such requirements is typically through getting it as a bonus feat wherein your class description specifies that you get the bonus feat whether you meet the reqs or not.

EDITED for grammar.

TheOverlord
2010-04-25, 09:25 PM
I am going to second what everyone else has said. There are very few powers (if any) that are going to boost Hit dice officially. And even if you could, it would be a stretch for any DM to allow you to use said boost in a capacity, and for the duration needed, to spend time attracting your desired undead followers. The HD requirement on this as well as just basic leadership are pretty hard and fast, (at least more so than most D&D rules) as these feats can get unbalancing to a game quickly.

Trekkin
2010-04-25, 09:27 PM
I don't want the feat's benefits, just the feat itself to qualify for the PrC.

AslanCross
2010-04-25, 09:33 PM
I don't want the feat's benefits, just the feat itself to qualify for the PrC.

That ventures into DM interpretation territory. If I were the DM, a feat being a prerequisite for a class is a benefit as well. If the feat turns "off" due to unmet prerequisites, it can't be used as a prerequisite for other things. There's a reason why feats are such sensitive investments in character creation.

Trekkin
2010-04-25, 09:40 PM
Back to the not-using-material-components-for-animate-dead drawing board, then.

Milskidasith
2010-04-25, 09:47 PM

Get it as a SLA.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-25, 09:48 PM
You could just ask your DM to waive the requirement, change it, or houserule you something. That's always better than cheesing your way around the requirement anyway.

Trekkin
2010-04-25, 09:51 PM
Get it as a SLA.

I've been spending the better part of a day trying to do exactly that (see my unreplied-to thread asking how to do it as a divine caster). This was in fact leading up to getting it as a SLA. Irritatingly, the only ways I have found to do so take three feats and still need a hugely expensive material focus, and everywhere I search I'm told it's easy to get as an SLA...and then not told how to do it.

Any ideas?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-25, 10:01 PM
Acquired templates that grant HD, such as lycanthropy.

Nothing says you can't get multiple strains.

Then take some belladonna to cure yourself after you get what you want.

Trekkin
2010-04-25, 10:03 PM
Is there any way to then cure lycanthropy?...wow, I'm finally asking a lycanthropy-related question in response to Lycanthromancer.

...And had it answered. You're a character-saver, Lycanthromancer.

sofawall
2010-04-25, 10:53 PM
I've been spending the better part of a day trying to do exactly that (see my unreplied-to thread asking how to do it as a divine caster). This was in fact leading up to getting it as a SLA. Irritatingly, the only ways I have found to do so take three feats and still need a hugely expensive material focus, and everywhere I search I'm told it's easy to get as an SLA...and then not told how to do it.

Any ideas?

Well, Dweomerkeeper gets things as a Su. ability, don't they?

Ravens_cry
2010-04-25, 11:08 PM
Is there any way to then cure lycanthropy?...wow, I'm finally asking a lycanthropy-related question in response to Lycanthromancer.

...And had it answered. You're a character-saver, Lycanthromancer.
Unfortunately, it doesn't cure it so much as stop it from developing once it is contracted, and only if consumed within an hour of contracting the disease.
There are other ways, however (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm). (scroll down to 'Curing Lycanthropy')

OldTrees
2010-04-25, 11:14 PM

Fell Animate Metamagic feat: +3 spell level adjustment, creatures slain by spell are animated and count toward the Animate Dead control pool.

Arakune
2010-04-25, 11:20 PM
Fell Animate Metamagic feat: +3 spell level adjustment, creatures slain by spell are animated and count toward the Animate Dead control pool.

Use it on 0th level spell for CdG things with acid splash.

Try 3.5 Palemaster Later, they get free animate dead.