PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Eberron Vampire Lord Calderus stats

Kintar
2010-04-25, 09:33 PM
Has anyone seen the vampire lord Calderus's stats ever listed somewhere? He was first mentioned I believe I "Whispers of the vampire blade" as the big bad guy that turned Lucan and is later mentioned by name in "Sharn, city of towers" but neither place ever listed stats for him. I would like to introduce him to my party and would appreciate his proper stats.

AslanCross
2010-04-25, 09:43 PM
Calderus is referred to as female. She's also psionic, so I'd probably stat her as a high-level telepath. I doubt she has a statblock anywhere.

Kintar
2010-04-25, 09:55 PM
Strange she would be mentioned in two prominent places, one as though she was a spymaster "The Servants of Calderus" and not have a statblock written up about her. I really wish they would explain more about her because my party would like to free Lucan from her hold.

AslanCross
2010-04-25, 09:56 PM
If you're the DM, I'd say that's a golden opportunity to create your own crunch for her. I enjoy doing that even for premade adventures.

Kintar
2010-04-25, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately two things potentially impede me from home brewing her. One is time. I am very busy and while I like to dn for my group I may not have the time to correctly fashion this Gillian to be both a proper challenge and difficult enemy for my group. 2 is my group is the sort that if later "official" rules came out for her that were different than how I had her they would call shenanigans.

AslanCross
2010-04-25, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately two things potentially impede me from home brewing her. One is time. I am very busy and while I like to dn for my group I may not have the time to correctly fashion this Gillian to be both a proper challenge and difficult enemy for my group. 2 is my group is the sort that if later "official" rules came out for her that were different than how I had her they would call shenanigans.

The first is indeed a problem. The second is not---I believe WOTC no longer intends to publish any Eberron books, even for 4E.

Kintar
2010-04-25, 10:20 PM
Yes unfortunately it is, so maybe I can make use of the wonderful knowledge base here and put out the request for a good Calderus build. All I have been able to learn is that she is a vampire lord, lives in the bowls of Sharn, runs her own spy network and is some sort of psionic. Please be creative so that I and my players may benefit :)

Kintar
2010-04-26, 08:31 AM
No one else running the "Whispers of the Vampire Blade" ever wondered what Calderus's stats were?

Altarus
2010-04-26, 08:37 AM
I could make a reasonably good build, but I'd need to do finish my thesis and get the book to get a feel of what she does.

Kintar
2010-04-26, 08:51 AM
Well, unfortunately Altarus, She seems to be a prominent person as she is mentioned in both the aformentioned module, as well as "Sharn City of Towers," but they don't delve into her to far.

Apparently she is a Vampire Lord with some sort of psionic powers. To my knowledge her class and race are never listed. In the module, she captured an npc secret agent for Breland (I think he was a 6th level Rogue) and turned him back against his agency. In the source book where she is mentioned She is leader of the "Servants of Calderus".

So ya, a "prominent" figure in Sharn, but apparently not even enough to give the race and class of this person.

Altarus
2010-04-26, 09:09 AM
Given that Calderus is an ancient vampire based in Sharn, and with the help of simple statistics, we can safely Calderus is/was a Human. As for the class, this gets tricky, though being a Psionic Class, it actually makes things easier.

What I would use are the following builds / combos

Telepath
Psychic Warrior
Psychic Warrior / Swordsage

If WotC's Mind's Eye Articles are usable, I'd use these.
Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)
Psychic Rogue / Swordsage
Psychic Rogue / Psychic Assassin

And those are not counting the various prestige classes in Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Psionic, or WotC's Mind's Eye Articles. So tell me, what kind of character would you like Calderus to be? Sneaky? Manipulative? Blaster? Striker?

Kintar
2010-04-26, 11:12 AM
Well I guess I would love to hear other's opinions on how they view this potential influential force for/against mid to higher level pc's in Sharn. I get the feeling when I think about her, a vampire lord that apparently runs her own spy agency, that she has survived all this time through supreme cunning, but also ruthless decisiveness. Living right under the nose of a major branch of the Silver Flame, as well as any other evil undead hunters and not getting taken out before has to show something for her. And, per the module "Whispers of the Vampire Blade" Calderus apparently had to feel confident in herself and agency to committ an outright attack against the King's Dark Lanterns (the cia of Breland) by taking one of their higher rogues, turning him to a vampire, and then controlling him and ordering him to steal an artifact for her.

I do not see Calderus as a blaster, or some other class that wages it's battles through alot of (attention gathering) bells and whistles. But I would love to hear if someone else does.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 02:08 PM
I second the Psi Rogue/Psi Assassin. Its good, but not unbeatable