PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Favored Soul

senrath
2010-04-25, 11:59 PM
Hello everyone, I'm back again requesting help with a character. I'm playing a Human Favored Soul of Olidammara, and I need some help picking feats, items, and spells. We're at level 10, have WBL, and stats were generated using 36 point buy.

These are the books I have access to:
Players Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Unearthed Arcana
Complete Arcane
Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Champion
Races of Stone
Races of the Wild
Races of Destiny
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Sandstorm
Storm Wrack
Frost Burn
Miniatures Handbook
Players Handbook II
Arms And Equipment Guide

Also, when it comes to items, I'd prefer not to be purchasing a large number of small items.

And when it comes to feats and spells, I'd like to keep at least some of them fitting in with the character, who is a compulsive gambler.

Escheton
2010-04-26, 08:31 AM
then might I suggest making your armor and shield called?
so that when you lose them in a bet you can just call them back later.

Person_Man
2010-04-26, 09:49 AM
Mobile Spellcasting: If you can make a Concentration check, you can cast a Standard Action spell and move up to your speed as a single Standard Action. This frees up your Move Action to Demoralize, Winged Warrior, Goad, Combat Panache, Extraordinary Concentration, regain Psionic Focus, direct a Spiritual Weapon, etc. Comp Adventurer.

Extraordinary Concentration: Allows you to maintain concentration on a spell that requires it as a Move or Swift Action (depending on how good your check is), as opposed to the normal Standard Action. Spells that require Concentration as part of the duration are balanced to essentially prevent you from doing other things while they are active. This feat removes that restriction. Take a look at Calm Emotions, all of the Detect spells (which can essentially be used as Blindsense and/or a magical trap or secret door finder), Mislead, Wall of Fire, Storm of Vengeance, Implosion, and whatever spells you can find in the splat books. Comp Adventurer.

Minor Shapeshift: As long as you have any Polymorph spell of 4th level or higher available, you can spend a Swift Action to give yourself temporary hit points equal to your Hit Dice. If you have a Swift Action to spare most rounds, this is a great tank option. Complete Arcane.

Zen Archery: In case you want to be an archer build instead of a tank. Complete Warrior.

BTW, what's Olidammara's weapon? You might be able to get some mileage out of the free Weapon Focus.

Also, I can't comment on a Favored Soul thread without pimping my homebrew fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57097).

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 09:54 AM
BTW, what's Olidammara's weapon? You might be able to get some mileage out of the free Weapon Focus.

Rapier :smallyuk:

And I advise against Zen Archery, and anything else based on Wisdom. Focus on Cha, dump Wis and make yourself a buffer/healer.

senrath
2010-04-26, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll take it into consideration as I'm building my character.

Person_Man
2010-04-26, 10:20 AM
Rapier :smallyuk:

And I advise against Zen Archery, and anything else based on Wisdom. Focus on Cha, dump Wis and make yourself a buffer/healer.

Well IIRC Weapon Focus (Rapier) is pretty much useless in terms of feats. There might be a crit combo somewhere, but they're usually pointless anyway since so many things are immune.

Favored Soul is Wis for DC and Cha for highest level? I thought it was the other way around. Oh well. If so, you're right, both about the uselessness of Zen Archery and the type of spells he should go for. Though I'd add in that in addition to buffs and healing, he can also summon and use many divinations quite well also.

senrath
2010-04-26, 10:22 AM
Yeah. Wis is just used for DC, so I'm dumping it. I've also decided to go summons, and take up Malconvoker.

Eventually, he'll be using Planar Binding and such to get gambling buddies.

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 10:31 AM
Favored Soul is Wis for DC and Cha for highest level? I thought it was the other way around.

I know, it confused me too. Wis is the "understanding stat" and Cha is the "forcefulness" stat, so it should be the other way around - Wis giving you more spells, and Cha making them stronger. Ah, WotC, you slay me.

Ernir
2010-04-26, 10:59 AM
****ty weapon focus, that one. I suggest the PHB2 alternate class feature instead, the one that gives Temporary HP.

There aren't that many Cleric (or, therefore, Favoured Soul) spells that really support the "trickster" thing. Trickery Devotion from Complete Champion is good and fitting, though.
You may want to focus your divine powers on granting luck and morale bonuses instead. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (printed as a Cleric 7 spell in Complete Divine, was brought down to level 5 when it was reprinted in the Spell Compendium), Divine Favor, etc.

You should decide now whether you are going the Divine Metamagic way. If you do, it's going to eat up a bunch of your feats, skill points, and spells known, but it may be worth it. You are Cha-based, after all.

Yeah. Wis is just used for DC, so I'm dumping it. I've also decided to go summons, and take up Malconvoker.

Eventually, he'll be using Planar Binding and such to get gambling buddies.

I suggest Able Learner (Races of Destiny) to make those skill requirements less painful, then...

senrath
2010-04-26, 11:07 AM
I didn't know about that alternate class feature. Definitely using that.

And thanks for reminding me about able learner.

Draz74
2010-04-26, 11:30 AM
And when it comes to feats and spells, I'd like to keep at least some of them fitting in with the character, who is a compulsive gambler.

So ... Alternate Spell Source to turn some of your spells Arcane, and go into Fatespinner?

I don't even know if that works by RAW. But it would be a delightfully unique character, and Fatespinner is a good PrC.

Unfortunately the Olidammara Relics in MIC are both pretty underwhelming. Well, Pipes of Frenzied Revelry are flavorful out-of-combat utility. But they don't really seem that "Olidammara-ish" to me.

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 11:40 AM
I see no reason why Fatespinner can't be adapted to Divine - explain your concept to the DM and ask him.

Failing that, try our very own Giant's Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html), or Divine Prankster from RoS if you can pick up perform somewhere. (The adaptation means you don't have to be a gnome.)