PDA

View Full Version : Create a shop anywhere

Trekkin
2010-04-26, 04:16 AM
I am currently in a campaign wherein shops are few and far between, as is loot; going from fifth to sixth level, we gained 170 gp as a party and have not found a single place where we can buy or sell anything in the entire campaign. I'm not complaining, as this is logical for the setting, but as I'm currently generating an undead-using cloistered cleric, I'd like some means of converting what little we have into what we need (black onyx. crates of it.). Thus:

1. Is there any 1-3rd level cleric spell that can contact any being capable of serving as a shopkeeper?
2. Are there any guidelines for the price of wood? How about hay? We've been through forests and grasslands, and my minions might as well get harvesting.

AslanCross
2010-04-26, 05:55 AM
1. Not that I know of. Honestly it might be best to ask the DM directly, or ask any NPCs you've met for directions to people who might handle your materials.
2. Arms and Equipment Guide lists lumber as 1-10 GP/50 lb for the common variety (say, trees common in your area's climate), 11-25 GP/50 lb for uncommon (trees that grow in a particular place; sequoias, for example, or maybe types prized for mundane special properties, like cedar), and 26-50+ GP for rare (special varieties that have extraordinary properties, like Soarwood, Bronzewood, Ironwood, etc)

I'd say hay and straw count as "common dried goods," which cost 1-5 sp per pound.

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately, you have to wait a level to get your best bet, Divination. Lesser Planar Ally will also give you something you can send on an errand to Sigil or wherever with your shopping list, but that's a level away too. If there's a traveling merchant within 5 miles, Helping Hand might work.

Outside core, Divine Insight (SpC) with a Knowledge check can help you find what you need, if you pick the right Knowledge check to boost. Interplanar Message (SpC) could work, but you need to touch the subject when you cast the spell - so summon something good, send it home, then ask it nicely to get a merchant to plane shift to you.

Emmerask
2010-04-26, 06:43 AM
2. Are there any guidelines for the price of wood? How about hay? We've been through forests and grasslands, and my minions might as well get harvesting.

Problem is that in most forests/graslands belong to a local landlord (except if its wild land but then its dangerous to harvest stuff there).

You canīt just walk around chopping wood there or hunt deer or anything, well you can but is stealing :smallwink:

Lysander
2010-04-26, 08:46 AM
Maybe instead of a shop you could go with the Oregon Trail method, trading with other travelers you encounter. Perhaps you can find caravans of traders with many goods, or just lone individuals willing to make a deal with their personal possessions. I mean, where are you? In the middle of a desert? A wild untamed continent? A different plane? Are there really no towns or cities at all and no other intelligent beings?

Escheton
2010-04-26, 09:07 AM
just buy the dirtfarm community.
you now own a dirtfarm community, with a bustling economy due to doubling in value. What with the basic worth and all the plat and all.
something about economics I never really got...

Trekkin
2010-04-26, 12:03 PM
Are there really no towns or cities at all and no other intelligent beings?

The only town we've found is completely deserted and the only intelligent beings have either tried to kill us( and had nothing of value), been dragons that flew off at once, or disappeared within minutes of talking to us.

It's not exactly untamed, but we were sent here via bizarre one-way portal, so our on world's economy is completely cut off. And frankly if there are any landlords, getting arrested for stealing from them might at least get us to the jails of somewhere with usable materials.