PDA

View Full Version : Fiddling with Supernatural Abilities

Gaiyamato
2010-04-26, 04:59 AM
I was wondering, in what ways can one change the energy type of a Supernatural Ability?
Are there any non-homebrew methods?

Geiger Counter
2010-04-26, 05:04 AM
It might help if you didn't make us guess what you are talking about, but I am just going to go out on a limb and say the answer is no.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-26, 05:17 AM
Any, any Su ability that deals damage of an energy type.
Feats and/or class and/or racial abilities that would allow the energy type to be changed.

Geiger Counter
2010-04-26, 05:20 AM
Any, any Su ability that deals damage of an energy type.
Feats and/or class and/or racial abilities that would allow the energy type to be changed.

:smallsigh: what class/race?

Gaiyamato
2010-04-26, 05:36 AM
Any rofl.
It shouldn't matter by RAW mechanics which one. I am just after any mechanic that allows an effect similar to the Energy Substitution Feat to be applied to an Su.

I've looked over a lot of resources and cannot find anything, so just making sure I there isn't anything I've over-looked.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-27, 12:36 AM
So no one knows of any ways to change any Su ability that deals damage with an energy type into a different type of energy?

The Rabbler
2010-04-27, 12:41 AM
this is a complete guess, but would the energy substitution from archmage fit the bill?

Gaiyamato
2010-04-27, 12:44 AM
this is a complete guess, but would the energy substitution from archmage fit the bill?

Nope, only applies to spells being cast from a class, not Su abilities. :P

The Rabbler
2010-04-27, 12:49 AM
Nope, only applies to spells being cast from a class, not Su abilities. :P

does this include class-granted Su abilities or only spells?

Gaiyamato
2010-04-27, 12:52 AM
does this include class-granted Su abilities or only spells?

That feat applies to only spells. It was my first thought also. It has the exact effect I am after, but only applies to spells being cast.
At a stretch it may be allowed to apply to a SLA perhaps. But certainly not a Su.

I'm after anything that can alter Su. :P
Thinking it does not exist. :(

Ashram
2010-04-27, 12:56 AM
I would ask your DM about making an Energy Substitution feat for spell-like abilities. Metamagicking spell-like abilities is usually pretty tricky as is; messing with energy types on those abilities is something entirely different.

The Rabbler
2010-04-27, 12:57 AM
another guess here, but have you looked for a monster feat that might change it? I'm not sure where that might be, maybe savage species, but wherever there is magic of some kind, there is metamagic somewhere.

gdiddy
2010-04-27, 01:07 AM
The only metamagic for Supernatural Abilities that I could think of is in Tome of Magic. You can enlarge, empower, widen, and extend 1/day with the right feat (p. 72); nowhere was there anything energy-related. Sorry, man.

Supernaturals are rare and powerful for the fact they outright laugh at a lot of the things that plague spell casters. They're not a panacea, though.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-27, 01:09 AM
It's a Supernatural Ability, not a Spell-Like Ability I wish to change. The Monster feats seem to only apply to SLAs. :P

I was hoping to see if I found something under RAW first before I resorted asking for homebrews. ;)

The only metamagic for Supernatural Abilities that I could think of is in Tome of Magic. You can enlarge, empower, widen, and extend 1/day with the right feat (p. 72); nowhere was there anything energy-related. Sorry, man.

Supernaturals are rare and powerful for the fact they outright laugh at a lot of the things that plague spell casters. They're not a panacea, though.

What I thought.

My original idea was an Uldra with the Spellfire feat which gives Spellfire as an Su. I then wanted to change the energy from [FIRE] to [COLD] so it could stack with other cold effects and not melt my silly ass. lol.

gdiddy
2010-04-27, 01:12 AM
Nope, nothing by RAW. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=supernatural)

Mostly, because it would be broken, unless it were 1/day like the other Meta-[Su] feats.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-27, 01:18 AM
Well just shifting the energy type form [FIRE] to [COLD] isn't really.
In fact I think more stuff stacks with fire than there is cold.
I may understand if there was one that made it an unnamed type or sonic or force as they are more easily breakable. :P

I'll have to think on this some more then. Thanks for the help anyway.

Keld Denar
2010-04-27, 02:03 AM
Do you mean like making a Shocker Lizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shockerLizard.htm) into say...a Fire Lizard, or a Cold Lizard or such?

Nothing that I can think of in any published book by WotC, although as a DM, you could rule easily make up X Lizards bred by wizards to take on different characteristics. Probably no adjustment to CR.

JeminiZero
2010-04-27, 02:08 AM
I can think of only 1 thing that does this, and even then in a rather limited way. Breath Weapon Substitution spell from Spell compendium lets you change the energy type of your breath weapon (supernatural or otherwise) into another type. But it only applies to breath weapons.

Gaiyamato
2010-04-27, 05:47 AM
Do you mean like making a Shocker Lizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shockerLizard.htm) into say...a Fire Lizard, or a Cold Lizard or such?

Nothing that I can think of in any published book by WotC, although as a DM, you could rule easily make up X Lizards bred by wizards to take on different characteristics. Probably no adjustment to CR.

Didn't think of shocker lizards. But yeah, exactly that.
Except I was going to try it as a player. As a DM I'd normally just handwave this and be done with it. lol.

I can think of only 1 thing that does this, and even then in a rather limited way. Breath Weapon Substitution spell from Spell compendium lets you change the energy type of your breath weapon (supernatural or otherwise) into another type. But it only applies to breath weapons.

Yeah saw that too. Soo close, but no cigar unfortunately. :(

I think there are enough precedents for this sort of thing to convince a DM to maybe allow it though.

The shocker lizards have just given me an awesome idea for a dungeon though.. *cackles*

hamishspence
2010-04-27, 06:17 AM
Draconomicon has several for breath weapons- but it's spells that you need to cast to alter the energy of your breath weapon.

I think most are repeated in Spell Compendium.

EDIT: Apparently this has been mentioned.

Optimystik
2010-04-27, 06:43 AM
EDIT: Apparently this has been mentioned.

That's one of the more convoluted ways I've seen to exclaim "Ninja!" :smalltongue:

@OP: Why not craft a magic item? Say, a lens of some kind, that converts all energy damage you deal of one type to another type? That could then be applied to all your abilities - spells, Ex, Sp, and Su. Work with your DM to come up with a cost that is manageable.

hamishspence
2010-04-27, 06:59 AM
That's one of the more convoluted ways I've seen to exclaim "Ninja!" :smalltongue:

Ninja is what you say when the same thing is said by someone else while you are still typing.

When you take another look and somebody said the same thing quite early in the thread, it's a case of "oops- I didn't read every post closely enough" :smallamused:

Person_Man
2010-04-27, 09:31 AM
Note that most types of Bardic music are Supernatural as well, and there are some feats and prestige classes which modify them or add new uses.