PDA

View Full Version : Pimp My Castle! (and looking for mapmaker.)

Saph
2010-04-26, 06:58 AM
So once my exams finish in a couple of months, I'll be running a new campaign, and the theme of the campaign is that the party will be operating out of a base - a small castle by a lake. For those of you who've played any of the Suikoden games, it'll be something like that. The campaign'll involve the party first clearing out the castle then basing their operations out of it, getting rid of monsters from the surrounding area, going on odd dungeoncrawls, defending their castle from attacks, and eventually getting involved in national politics once their castle's big enough.

As part of this, one of the main themes is that the party get to add things on to their castle. I'm trying to come up with fun stuff but currently drawing a blank. Ideas I've got so far are:

1. Magic item lab/creation facility.
2. Weapon training hall.
3. Stables of some kind - horses, maybe upgrading to magical beasts.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Basically, think of anything that you think would be cool to have on your D&D base. I'm going for coolness and usefulness rather than massive power - the idea is to make the place fun.

Also, I'm looking for a good program for making RPG world maps that works on a Mac, preferably free - know of one?

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 07:15 AM
- A shop that gets more exotic gear as the campaign progresses.

- A "Danger Room" where they can non-lethally spar against each other or against previously defeated monsters, and hone their tactics or try new techniques.

- A room with some kind of mini-game - when the players start to burn out on D&D, they can send all their characters there and you break out Life or Clue or Jenga or something. You could even connect the two in some way.

- Rec room - massage parlor, concubines, minstrels, jesters etc.

Saph
2010-04-26, 07:18 AM
Ooh, those sound fine. I like the Danger Room idea - could use some kind of illusion setup to make it work. They'll have an Artificer NPC to help them make stuff, so it could be done.

Anasazi
2010-04-26, 07:25 AM
murder holes, boiling cauldron, reinforced gates, arcane research tower, divine temple, a griffin post, messenger birds, various upgraded flags that give various buffs to the castle as a whole, bombard towers, archery field, a moat, jousting area, fencing area, a stockade, drawbridge, barracks, upgraded kitchen, dining hall, wardroom, hall of heroes, demonic summoning room, scrying room, torture chamber, harem quarters, additional wings...

thats all i got this second.

Tiki Snakes
2010-04-26, 07:29 AM
Well, if it's suikoden based you can't forget the vitally important hot-tub room. (With boy-girl specific hot-tubs and a screen between the two, of course!)

More seriously; A Library. For the storing of books and so on to aid in knowledge checks etc, scrolls, and maps (ancient or otherwise).

Ernir
2010-04-26, 07:31 AM
Do you have the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook? As the title implies, it has lots of stuff on castles.

Saph
2010-04-26, 07:33 AM
Do you have the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook? As the title implies, it has lots of stuff on castles.

I do, but the only thing I ever hear it used for is creating silly indestructible flying fortresses. I was looking for something a bit more traditional.

Library sounds good, too.

The Shadowmind
2010-04-26, 07:46 AM
I do, but the only thing I ever hear it used for is creating silly indestructible flying fortresses. I was looking for something a bit more traditional.

Library sounds good, too.

It has the main base things and some interesting wondrous "items" but the problem outside of the Cube, is that most things are badly overpriced, making anyone without the landlord feat go broke to build even a small fortress.

Altarus
2010-04-26, 08:18 AM
For map creation, you could go with the tried and tested (at least to me) method of using graphing paper and mechanical pencils. Then scan them and beautify. Takes a very long time and very messy, but it's the simplest.

Square tile mapping using computers, I'd use This (http://profantasy.com/), but you have to buy. Also found This (http://graffletopia.com/stencils/504) and This. (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=326525) Not sure if they're usable on Mac though.

As for the Castle itself, I'll list the areas going by what I remember from Suikoden Tierkries and I'll add what I did for a fortress that I made for a friend.

Caslte Components
Main Hall
Meeting Room
Various Living Quarters w/ Guest Rooms
Blacksmith's Forge
Alchemical Workshop
Library
Sparring Room
Kitchen w/ Pantry
Dining Hall
Roof Deck w/ Observation Tower
Stables
Courtyard and Garden (Complete with Hedge Maze and Fountain)
Docks and Wharfs
Trading Post
Defensive structures (Gates, Walls Ramparts, Towers)
Elevator (For lesser hassle)
Spacious Basement with mysterious artifact
Dimension/Planar Gates (Yeah, this one is from Suikoden)

I'd also advise using Stronghold Builder as a guide and only as a guide.

JeminiZero
2010-04-26, 08:25 AM
-Create Food Traps: Because sieges are so much easier when you aren't running out of food. Add traps of prestidigitation to flavor.
-Underground Magma Forge: Those who play Dwarf Fortress will know what I'm talking about. Basically dig deep enough to hit magma, and use the heat to power stuff like blacksmith forges. Also discourages your players from turning the thing into a flying fortress.
-Legendary Locations: These are found throughout the various splat books. Adding one or two of these can give the castle a bit of flavour and history. E.g adding an Otyugh Hole will give your players free iron will, and provide a steady stream of people who want to visit it.

Contrary to popular belief its not completely indestructable. Its just that the tools required to challenge it are not readily available in the Test of Spite Arena that spawned it. E.g. a CR 13 golem psion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8198514&postcount=55) can breach it in 1 round.

Ossian
2010-04-26, 08:30 AM
Man you KNOW you want the G-room from Dragonball Z.

Prize in XP for every turn successfully spent in the room, just by not being flattened to the ground by the gravity force. Extra PX for doing stuff like working out or doing martial arts.

Say you have to pass a DC 25 fortitude Save for x1,1 to x2 G and add +5 to DC per "G" added. Combat or strenuous activity adds a +10 to the DC.

You know you want to reach power level over 9.000!

Also, automatic ballistae on turrets are fine, and so are probe droids (call them constructs if you like, as long as they float, drone and look suspicious)

O.

Saph
2010-04-26, 08:34 AM
For map creation, you could go with the tried and tested (at least to me) method of using graphing paper and mechanical pencils. Then scan them and beautify. Takes a very long time and very messy, but it's the simplest.

Yeah, thinking about it, it's probably quicker to do it on paper than it is to learn how to use a mapping program. That list was helpful, too.

-Create Food Traps: Because sieges are so much easier when you aren't running out of food. Add traps of prestidigitation to flavor.

I can't think of any good reason to allow abuse of the trap rules. I'm DMing the game, not trying to break it. :P

Amiel
2010-04-26, 08:34 AM
Restrooms (or their medieval equivalent) with functioning one-way portals (for number one and twos) to the paraelemental planes, specifically Ooze.

An inn within the stronghold, that the characters can kick back and relax in, indulge in drunken antics and generally have massive amounts of fun (while drunk). Preferably, the inn will regularly have bard performances and the like, and other entertainment (bear fights for one).

Your players might also want to think about attracting folks to live within or surrounding the castle; these can then take on the role of; chamberlain, innkeep, monastic cleric, stabler, and so on, freeing up kicking-ass duties to the characters.

A vivarium within the castle proper or its immediate area that can house a menagerie; whether this is open range or encased within glass-quariums is up to you. In effect, they'll be having their own zoo to admire and experiment with.

A merchant's shop, complete with merchant, that the characters can purchase items at a discount or at a premium. Hilariously, it could staffed by a reformed kobold.

A church, of whomever wishes to keep an eye on the castle. This'll be quite handy and useful for the players.

A weaponsmith and blacksmith, for weapons and armour and other metal items. Though, you probably wouldn't want a conventional forge, there should preferably be a lava vein underneath the castle, the forge can thus make use of its tremendous energies.

Defensive towers that funnel and store the power of the sun; these can be used to fire bolts of raw energy at enemies.

Trebuchets and other siegeworks for sieges.

If you want to get traditional, a moat (filled with piranhas and barracudas, crocodiles and sharks) and a drawbridge; which is in actuality a road of force.

ka_bna
2010-04-26, 08:36 AM
You might also want to look at the castle from NWN2.
Anyway:
- Vineyards (Free fine wine!)
- In a basement is an ancient vault. The key must be retrieved from some quest.
- Mail tower: send messages by pigeon or magical means. Or communicate by holograms.
- A secure teleportation room (think Stargate)
- A hospital (magically heal to full HP in one night)
- Workshop for hired gnomes to tinker
- Bunker for a last stand, a small area heavily fortified.
- A small wooden forest/town/hill for allies to reside in.

Onion Knight
2010-04-26, 08:52 AM
A weaponsmith and blacksmith, for weapons and armour and other metal items. Though, you probably wouldn't want a conventional forge, there should preferably be a lava vein underneath the castle, the forge can thus make use of its tremendous energies.

Why settle for just using the lava vein for a forge? Dwarves could be hired to create extensive mines beneath the castle, grabbing valuable minerals and metals ready for forging. You could have your own little dwarf community! Also allows for self contained dungeon crawls, your miners break through into an underground cavern with unknown evils lurking out of sight.

(I've been playing too much dwarf fortress :smalleek:)

Amiel
2010-04-26, 08:54 AM
Why settle for just using the lava vein for a forge? Dwarves could be hired to create extensive mines beneath the castle, grabbing valuable minerals and metals ready for forging. You could have your own little dwarf community! Also allows for self contained dungeon crawls, your miners break through into an underground cavern with unknown evils lurking out of sight.

(I've been playing too much dwarf fortress :smalleek:)

I believe I answered that one with this; :smallsmile:

"Your players might also want to think about attracting folks to live within or surrounding the castle; these can then take on the role of; chamberlain, innkeep, monastic cleric, stabler, and so on, freeing up kicking-ass duties to the characters."

Saph
2010-04-26, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I've got a few NPCs drawn up to staff the castle with.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle expanding the staff beyond a certain point, though - if there are too many people there managing them can start to feel like a job. I'll probably have an NPC to do most of the managing, though.

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 08:58 AM
I would add an "abandoned wing" with Haunting Presences (Libris Mortis). The players can leave the wing unexplored if they don't want to deal with the persistent threat there, or they can exorcise it - doing so will grant them an intelligent item or items, inhabited by the now-liberated possessing spirit.

Also, definitely in favor of the "sealed vault in the basement that needs a plot-key" and the "hospital wing" ideas.

All-in-all, this is pretty cool.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle expanding the staff beyond a certain point, though - if there are too many people there managing them can start to feel like a job. I'll probably have an NPC to do most of the managing, though.

Have the castle manage itself - staff it with constructs it can order around, or simply have enchanted brooms and such running around the place like in Silverymoon.

banthesun
2010-04-26, 09:00 AM
A map room? Always cooler if the map in question is magical; something rendering the campaign world in minute and constantly updating detail. If it wasn't large enough for the players to make out individual figures it wouldn't be too gamebreaking. It could be useful to note troop movements or other large scale operations. If they have some other scrying magic they could check out other smaller incidents too.

An observatory would be pretty cool too. I'm not sure how useful it would be, but it could always be used to add flavour to one of the other rooms (I'm still thinking of the map room, sorry).

JeminiZero
2010-04-26, 09:04 AM
Have the castle manage itself - staff it with constructs it can order around, or simply have enchanted brooms and such running around the place like in Silverymoon.

Or Castle Heterodyne for that matter. :smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-04-26, 09:06 AM
It'd be totally cool if the map room has a floor-length map, that is translucently 3D and magical. The spectator may issue commands and directives to the map, if zooming in, zooming out, or when more details are required. The map should also pan and tilt and revolve (completely or partially).

Altarus
2010-04-26, 09:18 AM
It'd be totally cool if the map room has a floor-length map, that is translucently 3D and magical. The spectator may issue commands and directives to the map, if zooming in, zooming out, or when more details are required. The map should also pan and tilt and revolve (completely or partially).

The Magical Version of Google Earth

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 09:19 AM
The Magical Version of Google Earth

Yes, the all-seeing fey Gug'l who inhabits the Map room will be an indispensable asset when planning adventures :smallbiggrin:

DanReiv
2010-04-26, 09:39 AM
Infirmary/Alchemy lab + Mad Doc.

Might even make a fun encounter/sidequest when they clear out the castle, and a possible recruit.

Gotta love the brain-in-a-jar assistant, skeleton nurses, animated scalpels and stuff :)

Jail/Prison Cells.

Again possible encounters/sidequests/recruiting jobs possible when clearing.

Nearby Villages/cultivated fields/Mill/Mine.

Needed to sustain the castle. same as before, lots of encounter/quest possible.

Edit: added Jail/Castle surroundings.

Brother Oni
2010-04-26, 09:58 AM

In a traditional castle, the day to day management of a castle was done by the castellan, so if you don't want to role play every little interaction between the staff and the PCs, just make him the point of contact for passing down orders and passing up information/plot hooks.

If you want it a little more detailed, make the people in charge of various parts of the castle the PCs would be interested in be the main point of contact for the players, so they'd speak to the head librarian, master blacksmith, chief huntsman, etc, rather than all the apprentices, gameskeepers, etc.

Edit: There was a Dragon Magazine I remember reading that had a whole bunch of interesting ideas to do with old castles.
One item I remember was a time portal desk: the PCs find an old letter in the desk from a previous inhabitant of the castle and if they leave a letter of their own in the desk, when they come back to it, they'll find a reply from the inhabitant.
You can use this as a plot hook device (the PCs go treasure hunting for things the previous inhabitants hid) or just a nice piece of flavour text as a nostalgic piece of what the castle was like in it's heyday (you could even make it into a nice prop as well if you limit the letter exchange to once per play session).
If you're feeling inclined, you could make it quite bittersweet and harrowing - if the players know the castle fell in a long protacted siege, start the letters some time before the siege starts and the players have the moral dilemma of whether they want to try and save this person and change history or let history run its course.