PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior Power queation?

gallagher
2010-04-26, 08:44 AM
so underneath most of the powers, it has a section where it says how one may augment it by using additional power points. for instance, here is the one for expansion

Augment

You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.

1. If you spend 6 additional power points, this power increases your size by two size categories instead of one. You gain a +4 size bonus to Strength, a -4 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum effective Dexterity score of 1), a -2 size penalty on attack rolls, and a -2 size penalty to Armor Class due to your increased size.
2. If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action instead of a standard action.
3. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s duration is 10 minutes per level rather than 1 round per level.

my question is this: if i spend a total of 7 points, do i get to both increase in size from medium to huge, and then also make it a swift action? or do i need to spend 12?

Melayl
2010-04-26, 08:52 AM
You need to spend 12. And you'd need to be 12th level or higher, also (can't spend more than your level in PP in 1 round).

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 08:54 AM
You have to spend 12 points to get both benefits.

There are two kinds of augment bonuses on powers - one, that you have to actively spend points to activate, and one that passively kicks in when you spend enough points on another augmentation. The wording on these is distinctive - "If you spend X additional points..." refers to the first, and "in addition,for every X additional points you spend..." is the second.

Crisis of Breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crisisofBreath.htm) is an example of a power with both wordings.

You need to spend 12. And you'd need to be 12th level or higher, also (can't spend more than your level in PP in 1 round).

13+, actually (base cost is 1.)

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-26, 08:54 AM
You'd need to spend 13, actually.

1 (base) +6 (2 sizes) + 6 (swift) = 13

Yora
2010-04-26, 09:23 AM
In addition, for every 2 additional power points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this power’s save DC increases by 1.
This line is probably the only exception to the rule, that all augmentations are paid for seperately. It's part of many powers that allow a DC by the target, but not all.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-26, 09:32 AM
You need to spend 12. And you'd need to be 12th level or higher, also (can't spend more than your level in PP in 1 round).Slight clarification (beyond changing the total to 13). You cannot spend more power points than your manifester level on any given power. You can spend considerably more than your ML in one round, since you can manifest several powers in a single round [one for each swift or immediate action you get (usually one), one for each standard action (usually one), and one for each move action (usually one, though sometimes two, or even three); you can get additional swift or immediate, standard, and move actions through various means, including being a synad, a metapsionic'd synchronicity, manifesting hustle, temporal acceleration, schism, fission, wearing a belt of battle, PrCing into ruby knight vindicator or swiftblade, attaining level 8 as a factotum, certain metapsionics, and a few others.

Draz74
2010-04-26, 10:28 AM
This line is probably the only exception to the rule, that all augmentations are paid for seperately. It's part of many powers that allow a DC by the target, but not all.

Nah, there's other, similar exceptions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaphysicalWeapon.htm) too.

Yora
2010-04-26, 11:43 AM
Oh, nice to know. I always thought these augmentations are handeled seperately.