PDA

View Full Version : Helping One Of My Players (3.5)

Amphetryon
2010-04-26, 09:05 AM
As I have previously lamented mentioned, I DM an Eberron campaign for a very large group of n00b players. After a near TPK, some of them are actively starting to seek out advice on how to improve their concepts. Most of them are straightforward enough ideas that I'm able to give off-the-cuff advice that is cogent without being convoluted. One player's build, however, makes me seek the collective advice of the GitP forumites.

As I understand it, he's working on a build that finishes as Illumian Monk 3/Rogue 1/Psion (Seer) 6/Zerth Cenobite (CPsi) 10. Currently, he's Monk 1/Rogue 1/Seer 1. His bonus Monk feat was used for Improved Grapple, and he spent his other two feats to get Crusader's Strike and the Martial Spirit stance. It thus appears he's looking to provide supplemental healing with a psionic grappler.

Evasion has been houseruled as follows for this campaign: Evasion reduces the damage to 1 point/damage die, unless 1/2 damage would be less. Two classes with Evasion = Improved Evasion. Improved Evasion means the character would always take 1/2 damage or 1 point/damage die.

Allowed books are what we have in hard-copy: PHb, DMG, every Eberron book, XPH, CCh, CPsi, RoD, RotW, and MoI (discouraged but allowed). Formal 'retraining' rules are not used, but I allow one mulligan feat per player, as they learn the game better. We do not use flaws or traits.

Any helpful advice on feats and tactics is appreciated.

EDIT: No multiclass penalties. I fixed the final build for legality, since I forgot to double check it before posting. D'oh.

JeminiZero
2010-04-26, 09:21 AM
Presumably you also houserule to overlook multiclass penalties?

Anyway, off the top of my head, the most famous combination of monk and psionics is 2 monk/18 PsyWar with Tashalatora. Although this route is obviously a bit difficult since you are disallowing retraining.

Other than that, he has to try find a way to reduce the MADness of that build. I beleive there are 2 different feats (Carmedine Monk and Kung Fu genius) that allow a monk to apply Int instead of Wis to AC which can help solve some of that.

Zerth Cenobite is a poor choice as it gets its own seperate powers rather than progressing psion. Most of its abilities can also be emulated by a sufficiently high level psion. Better I think, to go down the Slayer route. Also comes with benefits like higher ML making buffs harder to dispel, and stronger buffs (more AC from inertial armor, larger HP pool from vigor etc). Let his unarmed strikes count as natural weapons for some PsyWar powers like Claws of the Vampire, and recommend those powers to him. If he really needs the help, let him pick up Metamorphosis through Expanded Knowledge

Whats the rogue level for? If he is trying to keep trap monkeying up, recommend the Able Learner feat.

Edit: And of course, get Practiced Manifester somewhere in there.

ghost_warlock
2010-04-26, 09:31 AM
This character will probably need more than a feat swap to achieve what the player wants.

Part of his problem may be that he's stacking a bunch of +0 BAB classes...and for no apparent reason in the case of the rogue level(s), as it delays when he'll reach Zerth Cenobite:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks.
Manifesting: Power point reserve of at least 2.
Special: Still mind class feature.

Note that Still mind requires 3 levels of monk, which the proposed build you've mentioned doesn't fulfill.

Honestly, the best advice for this character is to retrain that pesky rogue level for monk. He'll boost his faltering BAB, net an extra hp or two, and get closer to earning the special requirement for his PrC all at once.

Since you're not using retraining rules, I'm not sure what other advice to give. If he's mainly taking the rogue levels for the extra skill points, I'd say to point him towards the Open Minded feat (+5 skill points).

Amphetryon
2010-04-26, 09:38 AM
Presumably you also houserule to overlook multiclass penalties?Yes, sorry. I never use multiclass penalties, since multiclassing is its own penalty unless your Op-fu is strong.

Note that Still mind requires 3 levels of monk, which the proposed build you've mentioned doesn't fulfill. I should look at my books as I post. :smallredface: He's indicated interest in that particular PrC, so amend it to Rogue 1/Monk 3/Seer 6/Zerth Cenobite 10. Good catch.

Captain Six
2010-04-26, 11:24 AM
You could houserule that the Zerth Cenobite gets "+1 Existing Manifester Level" every other level rather than starting a completely new psionic progression. You'd miss out on some Psychic Warrior goodies but there are feats that fix that.

Pluto
2010-04-26, 11:33 AM
I sure hope you're using fractional BA and saves.

You might want to point out Link Power in Complete Psionic. Combined with a Swift or immediate action spell, it is one of the best ways for Psychic Warrior-types to manifest powers and to fight in the same combat.

You could houserule that the Zerth Cenobite gets "+1 Existing Manifester Level" every other level rather than starting a completely new psionic progression. You'd miss out on some Psychic Warrior goodies but there are feats that fix that.Hell, 8 to 10/10 manifesting wouldn't be a problem with 4 dead manifester levels.

Captain Six
2010-04-26, 05:17 PM
Hell, 8 to 10/10 manifesting wouldn't be a problem with 4 dead manifester levels.

After leaving my computer I thought that 5/10 was very underpowered. 7-8/10 is what I would give in retrospect.

Amphetryon
2010-04-28, 10:29 AM
As far as I can tell, the advice is "completely scrap the player's chosen PrC and rebuild it as something more uber." Please clarify if this is an oversimplification or misrepresents your contribution.

Please note that the original request was for feat and tactical advice for the player, which, as I read the replies, consists entirely of "Able Learner" (with a complete removal of Rogue level, apparently? Note that this would cause me to suggest violating my own house rules) and "Practiced Manifester."

Any further input?