PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Barbarian/?

Blind Venetian
2010-04-26, 10:55 AM
It's been quite a while since I played 3.5, and as such I'm a bit rusty. Basically, I am trying to build a level 10 character with 36 points on a DMG point buy system and 49,000 gold to spend on equipment.

The idea I had in mind was a Half-Orc Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker. A savage warrior living among more 'civilized' folk, likely having worked as an enforcer in the past for unsavory sorts. Though she definitely wouldn't be stupid.

I'm afraid I don't have access to a wide wealth of 3.5 books. At the moment I currently own the DMG, Player's Guide (3.5), Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, and Unearthed Arcana.

Allanimal
2010-04-26, 11:01 AM
There's always the classic Lion Totem Barbarian -> FB with Power Attack, Leap Attack & Shock Trooper Übercharger build that will do massive damage on a charge & a two-handed weapon.

Ernir
2010-04-26, 11:09 AM
Those books should do fine. :smalltongue:

Levels:
Barbarian 6/Frenzied Berserker 4 (Some Fighter levels would be good for the feats, if you are willing to multiclass more)

Feats:
Power Attack [1]
Intimidating Rage [Flaw] (Complete Warrior, prereq)
Destructive Rage [Flaw] (Complete Warrior, prereq)
Improved Bull Rush [3]
Shock Trooper [6] (Complete Warrior)
Leap Attack [9] (Complete Adventurer)

Flaws are in Unearthed Arcana, and can give you up to two bonus feats. If your group does not use those, your feat selection up to level 6 is made for you by the FB prereqs.

I assume you are aware of Frenzied Berserkers' tendency to go berserk, right? :smalltongue:

There's always the classic Lion Totem Barbarian -> FB with Power Attack, Leap Attack & Shock Trooper Übercharger build that will do massive damage on a charge & a two-handed weapon.

That's the Spirit Lion Totem.

It's in Complete Champion. Trades away the Fast Movement for Pounce. Always worth it.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-26, 11:14 AM
I'd recommend against frenzied berserker unless you havea way to max your will save, or party members which have a method of neutralizing you.

Say you're walking down the hall, rogue trips a trap by accident, you take damage. You fail your will save and start to frenzy. Even if you're standing next to the other meat shields, you're going to do a lot of damage before you calm down, and it'll be worse if they start fighting back.
What about if you're standing next to the wizard, (I'm assuming he's not batman and so isn't automatically prepared for every eventuality. Because that level of optimization is NOT normal) A good power attack from you with average damage could be enough to kill him in one shot.

Gnaeus
2010-04-26, 11:15 AM
I am assuming that you aren't soloing, that you have other party members.

In my experience, there are 2 kinds of players who play frenzied Berserkers.

The responsible ones do at least one and usually more than one of the following:
Take Iron Will
Buy magic items (like resistance cloaks/vests) to crank up their will save.
Take Endurance and Steadfast Determination, or build with a high wisdom.
Take feats/items that will allow them to reroll a bad save.

In other words they want to make the will save to come out of frenzy on a 2, and/or have some rerolls available.

The others are looking for a passive-aggressive way to PK party members.

Blind Venetian
2010-04-26, 11:15 AM
The game I am trying to make a character for is using the Traits and Flaws system from Unearthed Arcana. I was just looking it over but I wasn't sure if there was anything in there that really seemed to fit.

I suppose I could grab Complete Champion off of DriveThruRPG if they've got it. But what does Pounce do again, exactly? I'm guessing it's some sort of charge or jump attack to knock enemies prone?

EDIT: Okay, Frenzied Berserker does sound quite a bit more dangerous than I realized. I definitely don't want to attack my own party, obviously.

What other alternatives out there for Barbarian Prestige Classes?

Gnaeus
2010-04-26, 11:19 AM
The game I am trying to make a character for is using the Traits and Flaws system from Unearthed Arcana. I was just looking it over but I wasn't sure if there was anything in there that really seemed to fit.

I suppose I could grab Complete Champion off of DriveThruRPG if they've got it. But what does Pounce do again, exactly? I'm guessing it's some sort of charge or jump attack to knock enemies prone?

Pounce lets you charge, then full attack. Otherwise, you charge and attack once.

EDIT: Okay, Frenzied Berserker does sound quite a bit more dangerous than I realized. I definitely don't want to attack my own party, obviously.

Some people do. Its good that you don't.

Il_Vec
2010-04-26, 11:21 AM
I play a Brb 2/ Fighter 4/ FnzBrz 3 myself on a campaign.
Make sure you/someone in your group can boost your Will save, because otherwise you will get the drop on at least one friend each encounter.

Person_Man
2010-04-26, 11:28 AM
Note that FB has the problem of accidentally going into a murderous frenzy and killing your friends. Just make sure that someone in your party has Calm Emotions memorized. Anywho, here's my suggested build given the books you have available:

Human or Orc (superior to Half-Orc) Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Frenzied Berserker 4

Feats:
Human: Power Attack
1st: Destructive Rage (pre-req)
3rd: Intimidating Rage (pre-req)
Fighter Bonus: Cleave (pre-req)
Fighter Bonus: Improved Bull Rush (pre-req for Shock Trooper)
6th: Leap Attack
Fighter Bonus: Shock Trooper
9th: Extra Rage

If you take Flaws, you might also want to drop Extra Rage and take Dodge->Karmic Strike + Combat Reflexes or Combat Reflexes->Hold the Line.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-26, 11:31 AM
Pounce lets you do a full attack on a charge. That's why so many melee builds have a 1 level dip in barbarian.
Now add in leap attack. And shock trooper to let you drop AC instead of Attack when you power attack, PLUS FB gets what, a x4 power attack?

I recommend some skill tricks, they make a more versatile character at the cost of skill points instead of feats. Choose the ones you think look cool.

Of all the builds, I think a FB is the one where you should most likely ask the wizard/sorc/cleric/rogue "Help me by taking X." X being 'grease' or 'hamstring' or something else to stop your movement. (A lot of build requests get told, "have wizard cast a spell for you" and frankly expecting another player to devote their resources/actions to helping you is irresponsible. But FB is a bit of an exception, because it really is helping the party)
While frenzied, you can't make skill checks, so no balance. So you automatically can't move in a grease spell. Hamstring, rogue gives up some d6 of sneak attack, and halves your movement. Hopefully now the rest of the party has the time to run away and wait however many rounds it takes you to calm down. Cleric has calm emotions, which can also end your frenzy if you fail your save.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-26, 11:32 AM
Even with Wizards who aren't Batman, memorizing a Grease spell isn't "optimization" when your party includes a Frenzied Berzerker. It's a basic survival trait.

Personally, I'd suggest Barbarian 6/Bear Warrior 4. You get so angry you turn into a grizzly bear (well, black bear to start, but it gets better).

Of course, at the end of this line of reasoning is the Anthropomorphic Bear Were-Bear Barbarian/Bear Warrior...too much bear for anyone to bear.

Blind Venetian
2010-04-26, 11:36 AM
If I remember correctly, there's a feat in one of the PHBs that allows you to use your Constitution modifier in place of Wisdom for your Will saves.

At least I think there is.

Il_Vec
2010-04-26, 11:41 AM
Of course, at the end of this line of reasoning is the Anthropomorphic Bear Were-Bear Barbarian/Bear Warrior...too much bear for anyone to bear.

Speaking of bearing bears, currently in one of my groups we have a Brb/Fbz/Berserker(Deities and demigods) with Bear Shape, a Brb/ Bear Warrior/ Bearlord, a Druid with Bear animal companion and a ranger with a bear companion. We have too many bears.

Still, Bear warrior is really good.I like to pair it with Warshaper.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-26, 12:02 PM
Even with Wizards who aren't Batman, memorizing a Grease spell isn't "optimization" when your party includes a Frenzied Berzerker. It's a basic survival trait.

Personally, I'd suggest Barbarian 6/Bear Warrior 4. You get so angry you turn into a grizzly bear (well, black bear to start, but it gets better).

Wolf cohort moment, anyone?

Prodan
2010-04-26, 12:02 PM
If I remember correctly, there's a feat in one of the PHBs that allows you to use your Constitution modifier in place of Wisdom for your Will saves.

At least I think there is.

Steadfast Determination, PHB2, requires Endurance as a prerequisite. Also makes it so that a natural 1 on a fortitude save is not an auto failure.

goken04
2010-04-26, 12:42 PM
I second Bear Warrior, because it's fun. But Frenzied Berserker isn't so bad if you have a cleric with Calm Emotions handy; you can even pick up the Blind Rage (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Blind_Rage) flaw without feeling guilty.

Amphetryon
2010-04-26, 12:54 PM
If you go FBerserker, buy a wand of Grease for the party arcanist and tell him "When me go crazy, me go REALLY crazy. Kill emenies, kill buddies, kill everbuddy. Use dis t'ing and me stay put til me calm down."

This way, you're taking care of the potential problem you create before it ever becomes one.

Gnaeus
2010-04-26, 12:59 PM
Unless you kill him first, in which case, oh well.

Berserkers who pimp their will saves

or

Berserkers who are actually hoping to kill party members and then pretend they didn't mean to.

jiriku
2010-04-26, 01:00 PM
Eldariel's Barbarian Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525) is an authoritative reference. It's also a hell of an entertaining read, and well-organized so you can easily find what you're looking for. Since discovering his guide, I literally haven't built a single barbarian PC or NPC without referring to it. Run, do not walk, to the link above and study it well.