PDA

View Full Version : Best Familiar Choices <3.5>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 11:44 AM
Playgrounders. I am entering a 1st level campaign, where my DM has allowed me to take Improved Familiar early, as constellation for having to run Generic Spellcaster (modded to not suck).

I want a hardy familiar who, without polymorph, can duke it out until I get better spells.

Here's my character design:

Race: Half-Elf Half-Vistani
Cass: Spellcaster (Arcane, but uses WIS) 1
Feats: Redhead, Otherworldly, Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar
Alignment: CN

My plan is either an elemental (such as a small Unraveler) or an outsider

danzibr
2010-04-26, 11:55 AM
What a nice way to constelate you... or constole?

Anyways, is he having any level cap? Like, for example, could you get a Pseudodragon which requires arcane caster level 7?

If so, you'd have to take Planar Familiar instead, but then you can take Lantern Archon (arcane caster level 7). And they're awesome.

Escheton
2010-04-26, 11:55 AM
given the lvl req for improved familiar im thinking outsiders and such are outta your league at lvl 1.
If not, it's broken

vp21ct
2010-04-26, 11:57 AM
Raven

Ravens can speak common, and thus can serve as messengers. Many's the time that I have used one to great effect.

Just don't be like V and forget about yours.

true_shinken
2010-04-26, 12:01 PM
Out of curiosity, what does the Redhead feat does?

QuantumSteve
2010-04-26, 12:03 PM
For melee, an Earth Mephit is pretty nice. 17 Str, DR, Power Attack and Change Size. Better than a small Elemental.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 01:43 PM
Out of curiosity, what does the Redhead feat does?

Three druid spells: 1 first level and 2 0 level

and the DM is waiving Level Requirement to a degree. Mostly, our PCs are either Generic or Standard classes (A Ninja/Monk, a spellcaster [me], ect.)

and I did like Unraveler, thinking a small one would make a powerful familiar with some combat bonuses, although I was told either Improved Familiar, or No Familair at all

ArcanistSupreme
2010-04-26, 01:47 PM
If you can get one, quasits are nice.

Telonius
2010-04-26, 01:48 PM
Three druid spells: 1 first level and 2 0 level

Aww, I was hoping for Favored Enemy: Cartman. :smallbiggrin:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 01:49 PM
If you can get one, quasits are nice.

DM said no to quasits. I can either choose an Outsider (because I'm neutral, either spectrum is kosher) or an Elemental (such as Fire, Unraveler, or even a necromental)

Ashram
2010-04-26, 02:00 PM
My minmax-y friend usually goes with a hummingbird, which I believe grants a +3 in initiative rolls.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-26, 02:00 PM
would he allow the mephits?

Cuz mephits are probebly your best bet.

Earth or air typed are the best. earth for PA air for flight and fly by attack i belive.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 02:05 PM
would he allow the mephits?

Cuz mephits are probebly your best bet.

Earth or air typed are the best. earth for PA air for flight and fly by attack i belive.

In our campaign, Mephits don't exist. In fact, a lot of things don't exist. (Including Psionics, Incarnum, and Many Undead :( )

Optimystik
2010-04-26, 02:07 PM
I'll just leave this handbook here. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007)

*slips out*

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 02:09 PM
I'll just leave this handbook here. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007)

*slips out*

Gracias.

and is an Unraveler (PlH) a viable familiar?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-26, 02:41 PM
Three druid spells: 1 first level and 2 0 levelSource? __________________

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-27, 11:11 AM
Source? __________________

There's like 3 versions of the feat.

One from Ravenloft
One from Faerun
and one from some other source

Draz74
2010-04-27, 11:17 AM
Generic Spellcaster (modded to not suck).

:smallconfused::smallconfused:

It's a Sorcerer. With bonus feats. Who can cherry-pick the best Cleric and Druid spells to learn. And switch its key ability score to whatever it wants.

... By "suck," do you perhaps mean "be so overpowered that it destroys the game"?

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-27, 11:46 AM

It's a Sorcerer. With bonus feats. Who can cherry-pick the best Cleric and Druid spells to learn. And switch its key ability score to whatever it wants.

... By "suck," do you perhaps mean "be so overpowered that it destroys the game"?

We hybridized all of the core casters into one, which has d6 hd, 3/4 BAB, and full casting off wis (always wis)

Kylarra
2010-04-27, 11:51 AM

... By "suck," do you perhaps mean "be so overpowered that it destroys the game"?You have to remember this is the same person who plays with a practiced spellcaster feat that restores your lost casting, not just caster level and a myriad of other houserules. In that setting, perhaps it does "suck".

Milskidasith
2010-04-27, 11:56 AM

Are you kidding me? The generic spellcaster truly sacrifices power for flavor. /tongue in cheek.

Kylarra
2010-04-27, 11:59 AM
Are you kidding me? The generic spellcaster truly sacrifices power for flavor. /tongue in cheek.
Godwin's law for class-power threads?

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-27, 12:01 PM

What, does it not have a familiar or something?

FafnerMorell
2010-04-27, 12:26 PM
We hybridized all of the core casters into one, which has d6 hd, 3/4 BAB, and full casting off wis (always wis)

Oh, I've got the perfect familar for that class: Schrodinger's cat. The cat's only ability is it chooses which of an infinite number of universes exists in the next instant. The cat exists in a perpetual state of Time Stop, only allowing time to advance when it's ready, and by as much as it's prepared for, as it is completely omniscient and omnipotent.

By definition, this is the best familiar choice, since the cat would not permit a universe/multiverse to exist in which it is outclassed.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-27, 12:32 PM
Oh, I've got the perfect familar for that class: Schrodinger's cat. The cat's only ability is it chooses which of an infinite number of universes exists in the next instant. The cat exists in a perpetual state of Time Stop, only allowing time to advance when it's ready, and by as much as it's prepared for, as it is completely omniscient and omnipotent.

By definition, this is the best familiar choice, since the cat would not permit a universe/multiverse to exist in which it is outclassed.

not funny.

and Spellcaster doesn't get a familiar from the word "go"

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-27, 05:38 PM
There's like 3 versions of the feat.

One from Ravenloft
One from Faerun
and one from some other source1 sounds like that lapsed license campaign

2 I don't see it on the official WotC feat index

3 sounds 3rd party

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-27, 05:47 PM

So, because it's a sorcerer with a better HD, BAB, and spell-list, it sucks? What is your logic here?

Runestar
2010-04-27, 06:09 PM
So, because it's a sorcerer with a better HD, BAB, and spell-list it sucks? What is your logic here?

Logic being that it still doesn't have full bab, all good saves and 8+int mod skill points per lv? :smallwink::smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

I am not aware of a redhead feat from faerun setting. Closest is the magical training regional feat, which lets you cast 3 cantrips.

Kylarra
2010-04-27, 06:26 PM
Redhead seems like a wasted feat anyway. It's marginally good if you're not already a caster, but since you are, well....

Escheton
2010-04-27, 11:42 PM
disregarding the whole "we play things our way" part of the thread

I miss the hedgehog
it's cute and gave you a +1 nat armor when near.

What with hummingbirds and parrots and other obscure familiars I don't even know the sources of, why not a hedgehog or armadillo familiar?
Or a platypus, or a mole, a guinea pig, a tiny tiny horse, tiny monkey (maybe broken on a rogue/wizard or beguiler with the feat as it can prolly disable) and other homebrew.

The Tygre
2010-04-28, 12:40 AM
1 sounds like that lapsed license campaign

It is. And? :smallannoyed:

Togo
2010-04-28, 01:49 AM
Pseudodragon is a classic, but a good 'un. It makes a good platform for familiar buffs later on, the ability to sense invisible creatures is handy, and the telepathy and chamelon powers make it a good scout.

Of course if you can push the limits for that, a blink dog is very handy for it's ability to teleport. Gives a whole new meaning to rover-go-fetch. Plus it's a dog, so you can take it places and people won't freak out.

Lanterna archon is worth if for the aid-at-will ablity. Temporary hps, for everyone, all the time. The abiltiy to damage, at range, almost any creature in the game system is just icing on the cake.

KurtKatze
2010-04-28, 02:02 AM
Humming bird comes from a dragon magazine, don't know the number, but they give it the stats of a thrush... not very fitting. As you seem to use a lot of 3rd Party/homebrew stuff already, why not sit down with your dm and "create" a fitting familiar together?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 02:08 AM
Get the Mongoose book about Familiars. It has a mega list of them rg. Ant gives +2 Con, Donkey gives +2 Fort & Will, Penguin gives +2 Reflex etc.

They're just the awesome ones, it has everything you could ever want.

Gorbash
2010-04-28, 07:11 AM
Get the Mongoose book about Familiars. It has a mega list of them rg. Ant gives +2 Con, Donkey gives +2 Fort & Will, Penguin gives +2 Reflex etc.

Hahah, I love those 3rd party books. I mean, what the hell, +2 con???

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 07:15 AM
Hahah, I love those 3rd party books. I mean, what the hell, +2 con???

The books logic was that an ant is pretty useless so it gives a big bonus, whereas things like a chimera (needed a feat and a minimum level) is awesome so only gives a +2 on Bluff.

Or something like that. Not that it matters because you can have a penguin Familiar. PENGUIN!! :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-28, 07:17 AM
The books logic was that an ant is pretty useless so it gives a big bonus, whereas things like a chimera (needed a feat and a minimum level) is awesome so only gives a +2 on Bluff.

Or something like that. Not that it matters because you can have a penguin Familiar. PENGUIN!! :smallbiggrin:

I think Frostburn gives that too.

Anyways, one of those 3rd party books mentions using a spellbook as a familiar. Has 300 pages and grants access to a MM feat. Can't remember what one though.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 07:20 AM
I think Frostburn gives that too.

Anyways, one of those 3rd party books mentions using a spellbook as a familiar. Has 300 pages and grants access to a MM feat. Can't remember what one though.

:smalleek:

:smallbiggrin:

Yes I love penguins. And rhinos.

Don't look at me like that....

The Tygre
2010-04-28, 08:48 AM

They're just the awesome ones, it has everything you could ever want.

Heh. I wanted to recommend that earlier, but decided against. Thought the ability to have a troll or a nymph as a familiar might be a little overpowered.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 08:50 AM
Heh. I wanted to recommend that earlier, but decided against. Thought the ability to have a troll or a nymph as a familiar might be a little AWESOME!!!

Fixed that for ya :smallwink: (You're probably right though)

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-28, 11:24 AM
Pseudodragon is a classic, but a good 'un. It makes a good platform for familiar buffs later on, the ability to sense invisible creatures is handy, and the telepathy and chamelon powers make it a good scout.

Of course if you can push the limits for that, a blink dog is very handy for it's ability to teleport. Gives a whole new meaning to rover-go-fetch. Plus it's a dog, so you can take it places and people won't freak out.

Lanterna archon is worth if for the aid-at-will ablity. Temporary hps, for everyone, all the time. The abiltiy to damage, at range, almost any creature in the game system is just icing on the cake.

Isn't a Blink Dog an Outsider?

Escheton
2010-04-28, 11:56 PM
Table 2–6: Arctic Familiars
Familiar MM Entry Special
Arctic fox Ch. 6 Master gains +3 bonus on
Move Silently checks
Gyrfalcon Hawk Master gains +3 bonus on Spot
checks
Lemming Rat Master gains +2 bonus on
Listen and Spot checks
Snowy owl Owl Has low-light vision; master
gains +3 bonus on Move
Silently checks
Penguin Ch. 6 Master gains +2 bonus on
Fortitude saves
Puffi n Raven Master gains +2 bonus on Swim
and Survival checks
Rat Rat Master gains +2 bonus on
Fortitude saves
Raven Raven Speaks one language

The Tygre
2010-04-29, 01:20 AM
Isn't a Blink Dog an Outsider?

Nope. Blink Dogs be magical beasts, and if memory serves right, an issue of Kobold Quarterly had rules for having their puppies as familiars. They're prone to gnomes and halflings.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-29, 01:46 AM
It is. And? :smallannoyed:If its not simply a reprint of an official book, then the feat is essentially homebrew. I'm glad that setting got yanked for balance

The Tygre
2010-04-29, 09:16 AM
If its not simply a reprint of an official book, then the feat is essentially homebrew. I'm glad that setting got yanked for balance

1.) Reprint of Ravenloft campaign setting.

2.) Officially licensed by Wizards of the Coast.

3.) Right. Because Wizards never made anything broken planarshepherdinitiateofthesevenfoldveiltruenaming monkwhatnow in their run.

4.) ... Do you have the slightest idea what Ravenloft was about?

Escheton
2010-04-29, 10:27 AM
isn't ravenloft wizards attempt to win back the goth kids from vampire: the masquerade?

The Tygre
2010-04-29, 10:40 AM
isn't ravenloft wizards attempt to win back the goth kids from vampire: the masquerade?

I KEEL YOU!

But no. Ravenloft was published in 1990, technically the first adventure was in 1983. The Masquerade had its first edition one year later.

Person_Man
2010-04-29, 10:52 AM
The real key to any familiar is the Share Spells ability. At low levels, Alter Self can turn your familiar into any animal (dinosaurs!) within the HD limitation. With Improved Familiar, you can open up magical beasts, elementals, etc. At higher level you get Polymorph, and then you can pretty much do anything.

Eldariel
2010-04-29, 11:34 AM
The real key to any familiar is the Share Spells ability. At low levels, Alter Self can turn your familiar into any animal (dinosaurs!) within the HD limitation. With Improved Familiar, you can open up magical beasts, elementals, etc. At higher level you get Polymorph, and then you can pretty much do anything.

Magical Beast, actually. Familiars are turned into MBs automatically. This limits stuff somewhat, as MBs tend towards higher HD. But yeah, it still has plenty of uses.

Emmerask
2010-04-29, 11:52 AM
The books logic was that an ant is pretty useless so it gives a big bonus,

A real super tiny ant? I can see a whole host of things I could do with that^^
It should have something like +40 to hide and sneak I guess?^^

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 12:01 PM
A real super tiny ant? I can see a whole host of things I could do with that^^
It should have something like +40 to hide and sneak I guess?^^

I said it was the book's logic. I guess they were looking at the combat potential of an hippogriff or something.

:eek: You can have an Efreeti Familiar by their rules. ZOMG I must try and slip this past a DM sometime.

Haberdashery
2010-04-29, 12:15 PM
I suppose they're balancing it by the fact you'd probably lose your familiar, or wake up one morning to find him smooshed against your pinky finger. I'm sure I'm not the only one with traumatizing memories about the pet ant that lasted perhaps 4 whole minutes before a tragic end...

Escheton
2010-04-30, 01:22 AM
yeah, but that ant didnt have half your hp.

on an earlyer note: what are good lowlvl magical beasts?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 01:25 AM
yeah, but that ant didnt have half your hp.

on an earlyer note: what are good lowlvl magical beasts?

Because Wizards are known for their high HP totals :smallwink:

Personally I'm a fan of the Shocker Lizard, but that could just be me.

Escheton
2010-04-30, 01:34 AM
not really, but gishes do

when using mongoose I think or some other third party I once took shockers as a base familiar, then took a few more.
Then I took a bard lvl...

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-30, 02:02 AM
Squishy familiars is a good point. Anyone know of a decent PrC (3rd party or not) for making a familiar a bit less squishy?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 02:07 AM
Squishy familiars is a good point. Anyone know of a decent PrC (3rd party or not) for making a familiar a bit less squishy?

Share Spells: Mage Armour, Mirror Image, Bear's Endurance etc.