PDA

View Full Version : Jack Chick Fanfic

LibraryOgre
2010-04-26, 03:48 PM
Whatever happened to Elfstar? (http://blog.fantasyheartbreaker.com/2010/04/21/whatever-happened-to-elfstar/)

Greenish
2010-04-26, 03:53 PM
I want to see Chickniverse as a campaign setting. Homebrewers, your challenge is here!

[Edit]: Why, of course I write a reply before reading the link! Anyway, that's pretty awesome.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-26, 04:11 PM
Jack Chick should ask that guy (girl?) to write for him. It's so much better than the original.

Greenish
2010-04-26, 04:15 PM
Jack Chick should ask that guy (girl?) to write for him. It's so much better than the original.Well, to be honest, a monkey with a typewriter could compete with ol' JC pretty evenly.

Also, I don't think I'd want to live in a world where someone like Chick has such writing skills. :smallamused:

Swordgleam
2010-04-26, 07:08 PM
That's so awesome and yet so very awful at the same time.

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-26, 07:23 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm going to let this go for now because there's nothing inherently religious about it or the discussion, but it's probably going to end up locked because Chick's work is a religious tract.

Arakune
2010-04-26, 07:36 PM
That's why we are on the safer femslash fic discussion :smallwink:

Swordgleam
2010-04-26, 07:43 PM
I just read the About page. The guy who wrote that works for White Wolf and designs games. Now it's a whole new level of hilarious.

White Blade
2010-04-26, 07:48 PM
That is, in fact, pretty good. I'm shocked and impressed.

QuantumSteve
2010-04-26, 07:56 PM
That was pretty good. I really liked the characterization. Thanks for that. :smallsmile:

On a related note, I'd never even heard about Jack Chick before now. Although, I must say, I don't feel compelled to read more of his comics. Not that I have anything against preachieness, but his particular brand of preachienss just rubs me the wrong way.

Escheton
2010-04-27, 12:33 AM
lol
read the comic-link. It's so horrible I had to close-tab fast. But the 50's mentality with the "real spells, evil dm thing" is hilarious.

Terraoblivion
2010-04-27, 01:43 AM
That is certainly an impressive feat, having a 50s mentality about Dungeons and Dragons. I mean i didn't know they were prescient back then and ready to be frightened by a game that wasn't published until 1974.

Murdim
2010-04-27, 02:06 AM
This version is quite more emotionally charged than the original one, not to mention much more sensible, realistic, well-written and deepened, but at least it ends slightly better for Debbie. Can I say that without it being considered "about religion" ?

Project_Mayhem
2010-04-27, 05:29 AM
I've been playing Mage the Awakening for a year now, and I still wanna know when I'm getting taught real space magic. It's the only reason I'm playing

mikeejimbo
2010-04-27, 08:44 AM
I've been playing Mage the Awakening for a year now, and I still wanna know when I'm getting taught real space magic. It's the only reason I'm playing

No way, it's all about the Entropy Fate/Death. (Dammit, nWoD)

I liked that the fanfic really stayed with the basic plot rather than taking it off in a different direction. I also like that it left a few things ambiguous.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-27, 01:16 PM
No way, it's all about the Entropy Fate/Death. (Dammit, nWoD)

Are you down with entropy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bueZoYhUlg)

The lyrics are a touch NSFW (two f-bombs).

T.G. Oskar
2010-04-27, 02:14 PM
I just read the About page. The guy who wrote that works for White Wolf and designs games. Now it's a whole new level of hilarious.

Wait; is he the same guy that wrote the faux-tract marketing Demon: the Fallen? Or is he just another WW guy who seemingly has a thing for Chick parodies?

...Albeit, this isn't a parody. It's well-written; there's a better grasp of D&D than on the original tract, and it shows the GM as someone who's a bit sadistic. I mean, that kind of railroading is really, really terrible!

...So maybe it *is* a parody to bad GMs, even if only a bit. In any case, it is nice how the writer keeps to the spirit of the story, but perhaps he could have done something a tad different. Maybe it's because of how many times I've played (and the few ones I've DMed), but I don't think that would be a typical gamer's reaction, supporting the DM with that harsh comment of "things happen, deal with it". Maybe the GM was a...you might already know, but that attitude was a bit unrealistic (though, sadly, close to the original interpretation of the character).

Murdim
2010-04-27, 03:07 PM
...Albeit, this isn't a parody. It's well-written; there's a better grasp of D&D than on the original tract, and it shows the GM as someone who's a bit sadistic. I mean, that kind of railroading is really, really terrible!
Ms. Frost/Gina isn't sadistic, just jealous. She has a crush on Debbie and tries to move her best friend Marcie away from her, so that she can get more intimate (not intimate that way, well, not at first at least) with her. Really, it makes so much more sense than Chick's version.

mikeejimbo
2010-04-27, 03:30 PM
Are you down with entropy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bueZoYhUlg)

The lyrics are a touch NSFW (two f-bombs).

Oh yeah, that song is awesome.

So I think that the DM in the story was reacting to the fact that Marcie seemed to be trying to get Gina to allow her to disarm the trap without having seen it.

JonestheSpy
2010-04-27, 04:01 PM
I'm sorry, you cannot do Jack Chick parodies (or slashfic, or whatever) without cartoons. That's just...wrong. It's like saying you're going to perform a Miles Davis song and then just reading the sheet music out loud.

Emprint
2010-04-28, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the kind words!

Wait; is he the same guy that wrote the faux-tract marketing Demon: the Fallen? Or is he just another WW guy who seemingly has a thing for Chick parodies?

I had nothing to do with the one for Demon (which is framed in the office), but the ones in the Daeva clanbook were commissioned by me. (They were written by Ben Baugh and drawn by Kenneth Max Brooks.)

...So maybe it *is* a parody to bad GMs, even if only a bit. In any case, it is nice how the writer keeps to the spirit of the story, but perhaps he could have done something a tad different. Maybe it's because of how many times I've played (and the few ones I've DMed), but I don't think that would be a typical gamer's reaction, supporting the DM with that harsh comment of "things happen, deal with it". Maybe the GM was a...you might already know, but that attitude was a bit unrealistic (though, sadly, close to the original interpretation of the character).

This isn't a parody. It's a love story, and a completely straight-faced one. And these aren't typical gamers, they're just themselves.

Basically, I looked at Chick's characters, and I asked "what would make a real person behave that way?" And the answer, here, is that there's a love triangle going on.

Marcie has a deep, if probably non-romantic, love for Debbie. She's always been in Debbie's shadow, because she wants Debbie to pay her attention.

Debbie wants to find her own place in the world. Her relationship with her father is toxic, and being successful and the center of things makes her feel independent and powerful. She's attracted to Gina.

Gina wants Debbie romantically, and goes a tad soft on her. She's also got a very domineering attitude towards DMing, and promotes a strong "you are not your character" vibe at the table. To her, losing a character means you weren't playing well enough. (Never mind that "playing well" seems to mean reading Debbie's mind.)

Gina probably matures a lot when she gets to college and plays in other people's games. Still in the hobby in '91, she drinks the White Wolf philosophy in wholesale, before drifting out completely sometime during the heyday of the urban LARP... say, '94, maybe.

These are early, if not original gamers -- their exposure to D&D materials includes Holmes, Moldvay, Gygax and Hargrave. The DM is an authority not to be contravened, and they've been given "save or die" tournament dungeons as a model to play the game.

Yet, and this is important... they're friends. Mike may be creepy, Gina may be manipulative, Debbie self-absorbed, and Marcie terminally depressed, but they're friends, and this is what they do together <i>as</i> friends.

Jerthanis
2010-04-29, 12:40 AM
That was awesome.

Incidentally, I'm going to be starting a Demon: The Fallen game sometime soon, does anyone know where I can find the faux Chick Tract for that?

Dragonmuncher
2010-04-29, 12:48 AM
But... Elfstar! Did she ever get resurrected!?

I want to see Chickfic where they run through Tomb of Horrors.

Emprint
2010-05-01, 09:52 PM
That was awesome.

Incidentally, I'm going to be starting a Demon: The Fallen game sometime soon, does anyone know where I can find the faux Chick Tract for that?

E-mail me at russell THATLITTLEATSIGN white-wolf.com. I'll see what I can do. :)

T.G. Oskar
2010-05-01, 10:35 PM
That was awesome.

Alternatively, you can google for it. There's an unofficial Wiki for White Wolf products that has a mirror page of the original, complete with a PDF copy of the page.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-01, 10:38 PM
The fact that this was produced by taking Jack Chick seriously makes the end result even more impressive...

Reynard
2010-05-01, 11:16 PM
White Wolf, you may be crazy and in need of more vigorous editors, but don't you ever stop being awesome.