PDA

View Full Version : Shaving with a straight edge.

V for Victory
2010-04-26, 04:03 PM
I want to start shaving with a straight edge razor, however I have found several conflicting opinons on this on the internet so I have a few questions

1. How do I prepare the razor with a strop, should I sharpen it first?

2. What brand should I buy?

3. How long will a good razor last?

4. How much will it cost to get all of the required materials?

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-26, 04:19 PM
Any particular reason you want to do this and not use a disposable, like a Quattro or a Mach 3? Disposables these days give you a much better shave than anything else on the market (including straight edges) and are also much safer.

RandomNPC
2010-04-26, 04:30 PM
I'm going to guess you want to do this because it seems like a good idea, or it seems cool. If that's the case, go for it, those are both perfectly good reasons I choose to do things for.

The only other reason I'd want a straight edge in my bathroom is so I'd have a decent blade there that didn't look out of place.

hint: don't watch sweeny todd before shaving.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-26, 04:36 PM

I dunno about you, but I always get a murderous rage when I hold a cutting implement in my hand. I just usually suppress that.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-26, 04:39 PM
I dunno about you, but I always get a murderous rage when I hold a cutting implement in my hand. I just usually suppress that.

Not always, just occasionally in work (I do so hate my supervisor).

Can't say I can see the appeal of using a straight edge, any particular reason?

Flickerdart
2010-04-26, 04:48 PM
The badass factor?

http://www.ratemyeverything.net/ImageDatabase/PostImages/1550/Large/Frodo_Shaves_Like_a_Man.jpg

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-26, 04:50 PM
The badass factor?

http://www.ratemyeverything.net/ImageDatabase/PostImages/1550/Large/Frodo_Shaves_Like_a_Man.jpg

Fair enough I guess.

Kneenibble
2010-04-26, 04:55 PM
I have been curious about straight razors for some time now, and I will answer the question why at least for myself.

Safety razors give a great shave and are safe, yes, but disposable consumables are a blessing and a curse. Anybody can use them that can pay for it; they require no effort or skill other than that, and there is nothing personal about using them: they are consumed and disposed.

Straight razors, on the other hand, offer the user something that lasts, something that requires effort and skill both to care for and to use. While straight razors are still a kind of consumer item, a bought object by which the consumer enjoys an illusion of identity, such a kind of item also allows that consumer to have a personal relationship with its function.

Besides which, the opportunity to use something which is not "safe" is more satisfying. The control of the power of the razor is in the hands of the user, not a faceless company that created the disposable razor-head.

That is why I am interested in a straight razor. It is an aesthetic preference based around a hands-on, personal control of the objects I use in everyday life.

Now, I want to know if anyone has an answer to V for Victory's question. I've only ever seen straight razors for sale online, where the whole kit is hundreds of dollars. Barbers very rarely use them, and even those who do are now required by (Canadian) law to use a handle with disposable blades.

In my reading, unsupplemented by experience, the razors nowadays remain sharp for many long years, but ought to be stropped before each use, and kept clean, dry, and oiled between.

edit tl;dr -- Yeah, straight razors are obviously way cooler. Now someone answer the ****ing question.

RS14
2010-04-26, 05:29 PM
I want to start shaving with a straight edge razor, however I have found several conflicting opinons on this on the internet so I have a few questions

1. How do I prepare the razor with a strop, should I sharpen it first?

2. What brand should I buy?

3. How long will a good razor last?

4. How much will it cost to get all of the required materials?

I've used one for a few months.

I ordered from a seller on Straight Razor Place (http://www.straightrazorplace.com/), which has been a good resource.

1. The strop doesn't serve to sharpen the razor. IIRC, it simply serves to even out small deformations in the edge, which is thin and can be easily damaged.

I'll assume you'll use a hanging strop. Pull it tightly and pass the blade lightly spine first along it. Flip it over by rolling it on the spine and reverse. Do this 30 or so times.

If you use too much pressure on the blade or too little tension on the strop, it will sag (imagine a tightrope) and cause a slight deformation of the edge. This is bad.

Do so after shaving as well.

Sharpening is accomplished with a stone, and needs to be done only infrequently. Some people will pay someone to do so. Personally, I'm going to get a stone sometime soon and learn to hone.

2. The SRP wiki recommends many (http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Good_Straight_Razor_Brands). Personally, I use an A See, which is not listed, but has worked fine.

Learn from my experience: get a round point. I've nicked myself many times in learning to shave, most (all?) with the square corner.

3. A good razor will last many decades. It will need honing periodically. I've not needed to yet, but I shave infrequently. I'm not sure how frequently this will be required.

4. There are usually some shave-ready razors at reasonable prices in the SRP classifieds, but I don't see any below $70 at the moment. I payed $40 for the razor and $32 for a basic strop (http://ruprazor.com/store/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=22&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=32) and brush/soap/styptic-pencil (http://ruprazor.com/store/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=52&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=32) kit.

Feel free to PM me if you run into trouble.

poisonoustea
2010-04-26, 05:40 PM
I used a Dovo for about one year. Sometimes I need to shave with a cutthroat 'cause of sensitive skin and thick beard hair; I don't do that often now by now since I'm not having problems. I used an Arkansas stone to hone it, and stropped it on a belt. So it doesn't matter what you use as long as you do it right.

SRP's been a nice site to me, though the users seemed a bit too... zealous* in the way of straight razor shaving. A fun bunch though.

*You don't really need a 12'000 grit stone to hone a razor. Don't buy one.

Haruki-kun
2010-04-26, 08:53 PM

That's kinda like saying "Don't play Katamari before driving". :smalltongue:

EDIT: ........don't. <.<

thubby
2010-04-26, 11:16 PM
Any particular reason you want to do this and not use a disposable, like a Quattro or a Mach 3? Disposables these days give you a much better shave than anything else on the market (including straight edges) and are also much safer.

depends entirely on your facial structure. multi-blades tend to chafe, and in my case the angle of a safety razor makes it useless in many spots.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-26, 11:36 PM
depends entirely on your facial structure. multi-blades tend to chafe, and in my case the angle of a safety razor makes it useless in many spots.
If they chafe, it's almost always the cream, not the razor. I actually went out of my way to bother a dermatologist over this.

Gaelbert
2010-04-26, 11:42 PM
I use a bowie knife. Really.

Vaynor
2010-04-27, 01:31 AM
I use a bowie knife. Really.

I smash my face against a boulder until the hair falls off.

Like a man.

Mauther
2010-04-27, 03:51 PM
Don't forget to factor intoilet paper and band aids. And for the love of god, don't sneeze. I decided to strait razor my first year of college cause I thought it would be cool, was shaving with a cold and nearly took my head off. Did get plenty of attention from girls though. Just don't tell them what the scar is from....

You can get some great sets in vintage or resale stores. That's where I got mine, probably spent 20 bucks total (razor, stand, brush, etc) lovely ivory handles the works. Seen similar listd online for over $100. If your in England or going there check resale there for sure. Was shopping off portabello and I couldn't walk into a shop without some classic razors and spyglasses (and no, I have no idea why there were so many spyglasses)

V for Victory
2010-04-27, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful

Gaelbert
2010-04-27, 11:26 PM
I smash my face against a boulder until the hair falls off.

Like a man.

I just stare at my face in the mirror until my hair gets so scared that it shrinks back into my skin. Lost a couple of tongues that way. But, you know, just collateral damage and all.

Adlan
2010-04-28, 05:45 AM
I use a single blade saftey razor, which I like. I find multi blades to be lame and expensive, and disposables to be only slightly cheaper, and still uncomfortable. I've been considering a straight razor, but I just haven't found time or the money to get one.

However, what I did get was a good bristle brush, and shaving soap. They are much superior to foams, gels or oils (All the ones I've tried), and I've found a cold water shave actually gives better results.

A good Razor should last for ages.

If you want a posh one:
Medival Razor/Knife (http://www.interknife.co.uk/shopping/13th_century_folding_knives.html)

Heliomance
2010-04-28, 05:49 AM
I'm also interested in a straight razor at some point. I've heard they can give a better shave than any saftey razor if you use them right, and the aesthetic is just wonderful. I graduated from electric shaver to safety razor, and I'm getting to the point where I'm competant enough with that that I'd feel reasonably safe learning how to use a straight razor.

Gitman00
2010-04-28, 12:36 PM
I know a guy over on Fleet Street that can give you some tips. :smallamused:

mucat
2010-04-30, 11:19 AM
I just stare at my face in the mirror until my hair gets so scared that it shrinks back into my skin. Lost a couple of tongues that way. But, you know, just collateral damage and all.
I taunt a dragon until it's enraged enough to breathe a gout of hellfire directly in my face. Due to my long training as a badass, the flame does not burn my skin, but the whiskers are slightly less badass (having grown recently, after all) so they shrivel and burn off. Then I tell the dragon to piss off, and it slinks away in abject defeat.

(Disclaimer: mucat does not actually do this. He shaves with a wimpy disposable. It has lots of blades, it pivots so it won't cut him, and I think it has aloe strips or something.)