PDA

View Full Version : Got my Candle man in my slender jack.

RandomNPC
2010-04-26, 04:23 PM
ever start talking about something (like memes) and list a few off for someone, and mid list start mixing things up?

Now for the serious part, what the heck is it in a persons brain that makes them do that? cause i think mine has been a little hyper lately. Am I ok? more importantly (to you) are you ok?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-04-26, 10:40 PM
Dude, I can't be the only person here for whom that title sounds really, really wrong.

I don't really mix up memes. But then I don't really discuss and in fact try to avoid them most times. I mix up characters and settings. I've got several moments of a story I've thought up in my head, and the story includes Transformers, Star Wars, the Bionicle, and the Men in Black as justification for the American Godzilla being dropped into the middle on a dinosaur-ruled planet haunted by the Death Star. With additional mercenaries, delegates, and a single Tri-State Area obsessed evil scientist tossed in as neutrals.

But yeah, I think it might be overexposure. The human mind is an attic. If you keep stuffing couches in there, you'll eventually have to start stacking the chairs on top.

Sholos
2010-04-26, 10:50 PM
On the more serious topic, one way that it's thought the mind categorizes stuff is essentially having links from one thing to another. Things that are related. So, "chair" might be linked to "couch" because you sit on both of them, but might also be linked to "cat" if you think about cats clawing chairs up. The closer things are, the more tightly they're connected. Both Candle Jack and Slender Man are boogeymen of sorts, and they're both memes, so it's easy to slip the one into the other.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-26, 11:44 PM
Dude, I can't be the only person here for whom that title sounds really, really wrong.

I don't really mix up memes. But then I don't really discuss and in fact try to avoid them most times. I mix up characters and settings. I've got several moments of a story I've thought up in my head, and the story includes Transformers, Star Wars, the Bionicle, and the Men in Black as justification for the American Godzilla being dropped into the middle on a dinosaur-ruled planet haunted by the Death Star. With additional mercenaries, delegates, and a single Tri-State Area obsessed evil scientist tossed in as neutrals.

But yeah, I think it might be overexposure. The human mind is an attic. If you keep stuffing couches in there, you'll eventually have to start stacking the chairs on top.

Yeah, I-- wait what? :smallconfused:

Ubercaledor
2010-04-27, 08:00 AM
On the more serious topic, one way that it's thought the mind categorizes stuff is essentially having links from one thing to another. Things that are related. So, "chair" might be linked to "couch" because you sit on both of them, but might also be linked to "cat" if you think about cats clawing chairs up. The closer things are, the more tightly they're connected. Both Candle Jack and Slender Man are boogeymen of sorts, and they're both memes, so it's easy to slip the one into the other.

Ah, the schema/network theory. Also, I tend to think of it like your brain zipping information by creating close associations between two things, reducing them both to caracatures/templates and then only noticing the differences. Sort of like when you find yourself saying "Doesn't that guy look like whats-his-face?" Because they share a similar template.

Coplantor
2010-04-27, 08:17 AM

My mind works in the same way, but fails to produce things as awesome as this!

Player_Zero
2010-04-27, 08:25 AM
ever start talking about something (like memes)...

No. No I have not. Unless it was to make fun of someone for their use.

Haruki-kun
2010-04-27, 09:02 AM

How very nice and polite of you.

RandomNPC
2010-04-28, 08:24 PM

in most cases, I did almost get attacked by twilight goofs that way, but I was explaining the concept to an older co-worker on the one that inspired the thread name.

and if you think that title is bad, it's not the worst I came up with.

also, yeay im not screwy in the mind! Science said so!

Moff Chumley
2010-04-28, 10:58 PM

Yup, that'd be me. :smallsmile:

Anyhow, *points to sig*