PDA

View Full Version : Eager new DM looking for tools.

Siddsartre
2010-04-26, 04:43 PM
Tl;dr : Requesting useful online tools, such as a dungeon generator, and encounter helpers, for a new DM who so far is having fun feeling like he's in over his head.

I've been playing for about two years, casually, and loving every minute about it. For about half that, I've been looking at DM-ing as a great creative outlet, but been scared to, after listening to a story about how my gaming buddy Mat (normally the DM) once had his nooby friend, eager to DM, agree to let him use any wizards-sanctioned (not necessarily wizards-created) book. Long story short, the campaign ended with my buddy killing the campaign's big-bad evil-guy with a combination of the spells Power Word: Orgasm, and Cursed Orgasm, from the hilarious 'book of erotic fantasy'.

Me? I've at least been smart enough to ban that book, and got over my fear that my lack of familiarity with rules, at least when compared with my more veteran PC's, would cause issues. Yesterday was our first session, and though it might have been smarter to start with a one-shot, maybe run something pre-written, or even start the PC's at level 1, I did none of those things, starting them at level 5 in a world of my own envisioning.

Session went surprisingly well. PC's took the the story and ran with it (what little they know of it so far), and my encounters (that I'd been much more worried about) were received as very fun, and properly challenging.

I would, however, like to prepare a little better for next session. I've heard whispers of dungeon generators, and other tools that help with encounters...stuff like that. All that sounds incredibly useful, and I was hoping one of you could provide a link, since I saw nothing of these in the new DM (former) sticky.

So far for encounters I've been planning out one detailed, really thought out battle per session, putting the attention and effort into the monsters or npc's as I would a PC of my own, and then otherwise drawing interesting fodder off of www.dmtools.org, manipulating a few things here and there off of the beasties I pull, to have them suit the party/world best.

Either way, what I most need help with is maps. I've got a cool excuse for my party to be exploring some ruins next sessions, and a dungeon generator would be splendid. Someone must have a link.

Greenish
2010-04-26, 05:31 PM
…my gaming buddy Mat (normally the DM) once had his nooby friend, eager to DM, agree to let him use any wizards-sanctioned (not necessarily wizards-created) book. Long story short, the campaign ended with my buddy killing the campaign's big-bad evil-guy with a combination of the spells Power Word: Orgasm, and Cursed Orgasm, from the hilarious 'book of erotic fantasy'.Just a side note, but there's nothing wrong with that as long as everyone had fun.

mikeejimbo
2010-04-26, 05:35 PM
I had no idea BoEF was sanctioned.

Siddsartre
2010-04-26, 06:15 PM
Just a side note, but there's nothing wrong with that as long as everyone had fun.

I understand, it's all in good fun. I think it was just that the DM put a lot of effort into building an evil guys that the party would approach as a gen-u-ine certifiable badass. I think the DM was a little dissapointed he had such an unglamorous death.

Swordgleam
2010-04-26, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

My own site, Chaotic Shiny (http://chaoticshiny.com), has a ton of generators, most of which are aimed at helping out DMs. Tavern, NPC, merchant, city, etc.

You can also find a lot of useful advice on the RPG Bloggers Network (http://rpgbloggers.com). Just don't go crazy trying to follow it all.

Sowelu
2010-04-26, 06:49 PM
If you have a laptop handy, you might enjoy this thread on RPG-SoundMixer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150151). Don't overuse it, but it's something to keep in mind!