PDA

View Full Version : Spellwurm, THE best symbiont

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-26, 05:09 PM
I humbly present you the spell wurm,a tiny aberration which in my opionion deserves the title of the most useful symbiont

First when attached to a host, it adds three spells to spells know (in case of spontaneous casters, or let them prepare the spells without consulting a spell book (prepared casters) These spells are Mage armor (Useful) blur (cheap way of getting displacement) and Ancient Knowledge (insight bonus on a single knowledge check, not really impresive)

Now three spells don't seem too much but the real kicker is the fact that Spellwurms..... cast as level 5 sorcerers!!! and due symbiont traits, any spell range personal they cast is shared with the HOST!!!

To make the deal even sweeter, they have their own turn (on your initiative though) so you can have them buff you while you can do any other thing.

Now only level 2 spells might not be impressive but there are a few key defensive spells and some buffs, that fall in that range. From the top of my head: Wings of cover, mirror image, glitter dust, web solid fog, alter self, scorching ray, false life, the animal buff line. and for level 1 spells we have
true strike,, grease, summon monster 1, nerveskitter, mount.

Normally the symbiont might require a constent of personalities, but the ego score of the spellwurm is laughable (5), and Daelkyr half blood can actually grow one at level 10

And technically it only cost 8,000 gp.

In all excelent investement isn't it?

Darrin
2010-04-26, 06:50 PM
Now three spells don't seem too much but the real kicker is the fact that Spellwurms..... cast as level 5 sorcerers!!! and due symbiont traits, any spell range personal they cast is shared with the HOST!!!

Might want to read the description a little more closely: "When the spellwurm is attached to a host, this spellcasting ability is suppressed."

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-26, 06:58 PM
Might want to read the description a little more closely: "When the spellwurm is attached to a host, this spellcasting ability is suppressed."

:sigh: darn it, anyway it was too good to be true....gues I'll stick to tentacle whip

The Shadowmind
2010-04-26, 07:08 PM
If you find a way to negate the detach/reattach penalty, you have it cast the utility spells, saving your own spell slots.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-26, 07:12 PM
If you find a way to negate the detach/reattach penalty, you have it cast the utility spells, saving your own spell slots.

doesn't half delkyrs ignore the attach reattach penalties?

TheYoungKing
2010-04-26, 07:16 PM
doesn't half delkyrs ignore the attach reattach penalties?

Nope. Afraid not.

Ixahinon
2010-04-26, 07:27 PM
Get a Necrotic Cyst. The spells cast from that is just...wow

Zaq
2010-04-26, 08:29 PM
My favorite symbiont is the Shadow Sibling. Anything that gives you immediate-action potential, especially with a not insignificant miss chance, is worth considering...

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-27, 02:37 AM
Gutworms are OK. They're free as well, so there's that.

Sydonai
2010-04-27, 02:58 AM

A Binder dip. Level 1 vestige name Naberius, heals ability damage at a constant rate, great for Symbionts and Hellfire Warlocks.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-27, 07:10 AM
You can't tell it what to do with its actions, especially when it isn't attached.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-27, 02:46 PM
You can't tell it what to do with its actions, especially when it isn't attached.

Kill it and reanimate it as an undead.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-27, 03:04 PM
I believe you can, if you are the dominant one (it is an Ego check, like the one against inteligent items)