PDA

View Full Version : Solo Campaign (SlyJohnny) - Crimson Shield

Pages : [1] 2

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-26, 06:07 PM
This is a thread for my solo game with SlyJohnny.

Charsheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=203021

- If you're not SlyJohnny or me, you definitely should not post in this thread.
- Also, I may want to run this campaign for different players. If you read along, it may impair your ability to play it later.

There, procedurals done. And now, without further ado, let's start:

*** Prologue ***

It wasn't shaping up to be a good week for Keldan of Clan Harvir. In fact, it was shaping up like a rather bad beginning for the rest of his life. First, there was the murder (or accidental slaying, as Keldan tried to think of it, gripping to the edges of his dignity) of his friend. Then, the long night awaiting trial, the desperate escape attempt, and now he found himself a fugitive, further from home than he had ever been.

The familiar mountains were left behind, and he was making his way through gently sloping forested hills. The sun's last rays flickered upon the treetops and darkness started to descend, along with a drizzling rain. A dancing light of a campfire drew his attention. Could have been anything ... brigands, trolls ... but could also be a weary traveler, just like himself, drying his wet clothes by the fire. Oh, what would he not give now for a set of dry clothes; and he was so hungry he was ready to eat a troll, let alone risk an encounter with one. Keldan slowly advanced. What he saw made him relax somewhat. A single robed man, sitting by the fire, deep in thought. Keldan slowly approached to a distance from which it would be appropriate to speak.

"Hello," said the robed man, who was sitting with his back to him.
"I... uhm, I was just passing through the forest, and ..." Keldan stuttered.
"I figured as much." the man still hasn't faced him, and kept gazing into the fire. "Have a seat."

Carefully, Keldan sat next to the man. The stranger gestured at a tray of meat and forest berries, and mug of steaming hot mead. Was Keldan dreaming?
He took the food and tasted it. It was good, and so was the mead.

"I guess an introduction would be in order," said the young dwarf, "I am Keldan of Clan Harvir."
"I know. I've been expecting you."

At that moment, the stranger turned to him for the first time, and of all his features, the only thing Keldan saw were the eyes - black, and deep.
The more he looked into those eyes, the bigger they became, until the darkness surrounded him completely and not a shred remained of the world as he knew it. This was not shaping up as a good week at all.

Surrounded by darkness, Keldan wanted to scream, but couldn't. Darkness was all around. As for himself, he was ... where? Was he even at all? And then, the darkness exploded with light. No more dark forest, before his eyes was water, waves as far as the eye can see. And a long thin bridge across the waves, trailing into the distance. He tried to turn his head to look, but couldn't move it, or any part of his body, as if encased in stone. Or ember. Transparent ember. With his peripheral vision, Keldan noticed a sandy beach under him, on which the waves were breaking ... or were they? On second thought, they weren't. Nothing was moving at all. Not him, not the rest of the world. He tried to draw a breath, but couldn't. How can you breathe ember?

Then, reality left its standstill and started to move. First, it was the air in his lungs, then gravity took its toll. And Keldan started to fall, right on the sand, from a height of about twenty feet. A dreadful week indeed.

Down on the beach, you have some time to get your bearings. Behind you, you see as you turn around, is a castle, compeletely out of place in the middle of the beach. How could you miss it before? Oh yes, you were unable to move your head. Oh, look, there's a bright light flashing from the top floor of the tower.

*** Game on ***

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-26, 06:08 PM
[roll0] non-lethal falling damage.

Somewhat bruised, but alive.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 12:11 PM
"Ngguhf!"

Keld pushes himself to his feet unsteadily. He winces as he does so, rubbing a bruise on his shin where his leg twisted wrong as he fell, glancing around frantically for any hidden menaces that might seek to take advantage of his distress.

When it appears that nothing is moments away from eating him, he peers about him at the beach as he dusts sand off his work clothes, wondering where he could be. He tries to remember the nearest sea or large lake to his homeland, wondering how far that is, and if he recognises this lonely shoreline at all.

He turns and stares out at the sea and it's bridge. A sea? With a bridge? A bridge across a sea? Well, I see it, so it must be real... I thought that to cross seas, surface folk just built larger boats then we do? Maybe that was just Doxx telling me a tall tale. A bridge makes a lot more sense then giant sea-ships do. he muses.

He examines the bridge closely, his logical, detail-orientated dwarven brain immediately assessing what the bridge is made of, how wide it is, how high it rises above the waves, and how far it seems to extend.

He turns to look about him, his eyes settling on the castle tower. He stares at it with a mixture of hope and fear, wondering at what race constructed it, and how far away it is. A castle on a beach? That's even stranger then the bridge. His mind rebels against such a large structure with foundations on soft sand. There must be magic involved, he decides. He finds he doesn't know how he feels about that, and thinks his father wouldn't be impressed. He asseses how large it is, how many towers it has.

He kicks a pile of sand aggressively, angry at what a miserable, confusing place the outside world seems to be. Then he decides to investigate. He circles around it, keeping low and aiming to get as close as possible so as not to be spotted by anything on the walls.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 12:28 PM
The castle is built of rose-colored sandstone, that looks very unnatural to Keld. Doesn't seem like the kind of stone that can be mined in a quarry. It is about 40 yards across, and most of it is the height of a two-story building. The single tower rises to about double that height, and is strangely enough devoid of arrow slits. Not a very defensive construction. The light that you saw before, comes from the top platform. It flashes erratically a few more times, then dies off.

There are some barred windows in the walls, all about 10-15 feet off the ground (second floor height). Circling slowly around the castle, Keld notes two more bridges, going in different directions across the seemingly endless sea. The bridges are made of grey marble, also doesn't seem very natural. They're about 7 feet wide, have a 4 feet high metal railing. They're unsupported, arching upwards slowly, reaching a height of several dozens yards, as far as you can see - unusual for a bridge of such size to lack support. Also, there's water in all directions - you're on an island, size about 1/2 mile.

Spot check DC 10 to open spoiler.

All bridges seem to reach land about 1 mile away, give or take. Another island? Mainland? Who knows?

Behind the castle, Keld discovers a small lake in the center of the island, and on the other side of the lake, a forested area. Now that you've almost finished circling the castle, you also see it has a large wooden gate, which is closed at the moment.

Listen check DC 10 to open spoiler.

A female voice from the castle, in Common: "Where did he go? I don't see him. He was right there a moment ago!"
If you fail the Listen check, you hear an unclear voice, probably humanoid, coming from ... ?

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 01:06 PM
[[Spot and Listen check- http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2496450/]]

Keld frowns. He doesn't remember anything like this near home. And he's not certain how the occupants will react to his trespassing on their private fiefdom. He glances back at the footprints he's left in the sand, grimacing.

He looks up at the wall in front of him, and then cracks his neck, and then his knuckles, then the joints of his legs. He murmurs at a volume that quickly rises to a loud hiss, and short thick black hairs sprout over his palms, and then recede. ((Invoking Spiderwalk))

Kicking sand over his new footprints as he goes, he walks over to the wall, and then jumps up onto it, pulling his feet up, and then scrambles up the side of the wall as quickly as he can, his arms and legs shifting in an oddly smooth and incongruous motion as he aptly scales the wall.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 01:22 PM
OOC
[[Spot and Listen check- http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2496450/]]

I get "page not found" when I try this link. Please roll in thread (for example, [*roll]1d20+3[*/roll], without the asterisks, gives you a d20+3 roll)
EDIT: oh yeah, I see it now, there was a redundant "]]" at the end. But still, better to roll in thread, I think

You easily scale to the roof of the main building. The main building, the only building, in fact, is squeezed tightly between the castle walls, in a way that leaves space only for a small courtyard, on the inner side of the gate. The round tower rises additional 20 feet from the center of the roof, ending in a flat platform.

If you didn't make the previous Spot check, repeat with +5 bonus, as this kind of thing is easier to notice when you're up high.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 01:37 PM
Keld jumps accross to the roof on the other side and immediately scrambles so that his body is out of sight. He glances back at the tower nervously, and then scuttles around the perimeter of the roof, looking down into the courtyard, starting at the gate, for any sign of the source of the voice or any objects in the courtyard below. If he spies anyone, he'll immediately duck back onto the roof and out of sight.

That done, he moves around to the back of the tower, peering over at the forest and lake from his position of height. "This is a silly castle. And a silly place to build a castle." he says to himself.

With an air of having sorted that issue out conclusively, he turns around and crawls towards the tower, and then up it on the side facing away from the gate. Without touching the surface and the side of the platform, he nervously peers over the rim.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 01:52 PM
As Keld peers down into the courtyard, he spots two (probably) human girls by the gate, aged about 14, dressed in simple peasant clothing, one brunette with a long braid, the other blonde with short-cut hair. They're arguing among themselves, and while they do so, the idea to look up doesn't occur to them. Keld is very close, less than 20' above, and can hear them well - the topic of the argument seems to be "Shouldn't we go look for him?" vs. "No, we should stay here."

Does Keld still wish to climb the tower, or will he do something else in light of this new discovery?

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 02:04 PM
Keld stares at them curiously and tries to size up whether they're armed.

All the humans I've seen are taller then that. And thicker about the limbs... are those children?

In light of the discovery that his pursuers do not seem as powerful and alert as he feared, Keld completes his circuit of the roof and his surveyance of the courtyard and terrain, before heading off to climb the tower.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 02:15 PM
Keld doesn't see any weapons on the girls. The courtyard, about 20x20 feet, has a flowerbed, a small patch of vegetables and a well as its only attractions. A survey of the roof doesn't yield any interesting information.
Terrain? As you saw before, the island is a doughnut - central lake of about 1,000 feet, a ring of sand around it, with the forested area and the castle the only distinguishing features. The three bridges, like the spokes of a wheel, trail off into the distance. Assuming it's evening time now, the position of the sun in the sky indicates they go east, west and north. To the south, a spoke is missing - nothing but endless featureless sea there.

As you climb up the wall, and try to peer off the rim of the platform, make a Move Silently check vs. [roll0]. EDIT: don't bother :smallsmile:

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 02:17 PM
On the platform, another girl, about same age, is scanning the surroundings, intently looking for something. She has her back turned to you, and is oblivious to your presence.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 04:18 PM
Keld stares at the girl impassively. He finds his heart quickening for some reason, and resents his nervousness. These human kids can take him as they find him, damn their eyes.

He wonders if she was causing the flashing, and if so, what with; does she have any posessions about her? He also wonders how she got up here: if there is a visible means of entrance to the roof or tower other then by climbing as he did.

He hauls himself up onto the lip of the tower, and takes a step forward. He silently waits for the girl to notice him, if she's still preoccupied. As soon as she turns to notice him, he quietly says "Hello. What's your name?"

(Move Silently check: 1d20+2)

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 04:21 PM
Move Silently check [roll0]

((Sorry about that, guess you can't edit in rolls after the event. I've got the hang of this now I swear, no more stupidity when it comes to posting rolls :) ))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 05:21 PM
Next to the girl, Keld notices a trapdoor in the floor, probably this is the path leading down. The only other feature of the platform is a large lantern, almost as tall as the girl - this probably is the source of the flashes Keld saw earlier. The lantern is presently off.

As she first notes Keld, the girl turns about and shrieks in a brief moment of fear - which soon gives way to befuddlement.

You? I saw you fall on the beach, how'd you get up here?! she manages to take a few deep breaths and calm herself down. I'm Rheeta... Welcome, I guess. She glances toward the setting sun, then at the trapdoor. Let's go inside, the boys will be here soon.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-27, 05:33 PM
Keld bows to the girl. "Keldan of Clan Harvir, at your service."

At her mention of going inside, he shrugs. "Okay." He steps back, allowing her to go first.

"What do you know about this place, Rheeta? Did everyone come in the same way I did?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-27, 05:59 PM
Rheeta flashes a smile, revealing two rows of perfect teeth. Pleased to meet you, Keldan. She opens the trapdoor, revealing a spiral staircase and takes a few steps in. Assuming you follow her down:
Rheeta leads you down the stairs, then though dimly lit corridors. As you walk, she tells you: Let me guess, you met a strange man, drowned in his black eyes, and found yourself hanging in midair, and SPLAT, yes? We all came here the same way. And now we're part of the Game (she speaks this word with almost reverence), and we can't go home until we win.

You go down the stairs, into a large cathedral-like hall on the ground floor. A long oak table is surrounded by a dozen chairs and a few overturned barrels. All manners of decorative (?) weaponry hangs on the walls, dominated by a huge red shield. The last rays of the setting sun penetrate through the high windows. The two girls you saw earlier come through the front door, still arguing whether to go out and look for you ...

Lejra, Marianna, meet Keldan. I don't know how, but he ended up on the roof. Have a seat, Keldan. Everyone will be here soon. We're few, and new arrivals are welcome. Before everyone swarms you, is there anything you'd like to ask us?
Or something you'd like to tell us, Marianna (the blonde) butts in, like, for example, how the heck did you get on the roof?

SlyJohnny
2010-04-28, 05:58 AM
"You can call me Keld, if you like. All my friends do."

Keldan meets Marianna's gaze for a moment, before turning away, indifferently. The same way Rheeta did. You two weren't paying attention." He responds.

Keld wanders past the weapons, cocking his head at them and sizing them up. He wonders if any seem to be missing or displaced from their mountings, indicating that the other children have been arming themselves. He ignores the invitation to be seated for a moment

"What Game is this? And how did you find out about the rules of it, if you were all just dropped here like me?"

Keld reaches out to take a weapon down off the wall, favoring a dwarven war axe if there is one, or any strong-looking sword or axe if there isn't. He tests it's edge and its balance, and then wanders over to peer up at the red shield. He also picks up a couple of short knives or daggers, figuring they'd be easiest to turn into serviceable weapons, if it came to that.

"How many of us are there? Where do we sleep? What do we eat? Is everyone else human? Are there no adults?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-28, 10:34 AM
The same way Rheeta did. You two weren't paying attention.Let's see if Keld is as smooth talker as he thinks he is... Bluff [roll0] vs. Sense Motive [roll1] (she has no ranks, but this falls squarely in the "hard to believe" category).

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-28, 10:44 AM
No we weren't. We were at the gate the whole time. And the gate was locked. Marianna grows a bit mad. What is going on, Rheeta? How did he get up there?
Rheeta shrugs. As Keldan leaves the baffled girls for a moment and goes to scout the weapons, he discovers after a brief look they are all wooden replicas, albeit painted very realistically.

It is at this time that the front door bursts open and ten or so boys of various stages of childhood or adolescence burst in, chatting merrily among themselves. Except for one Halfling and one Elf, they're all human; they are well armed (with wooden replica swords?), but don't seem hostile.

The Elf takes a step toward you, Ah, our new arrival. I'm Valanis. Welcome to the Island of the Crimson Shield.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-28, 11:25 AM
Keld turns, shoot a glare of irritation at Marianna, and then bowing to the elf.

"Well met, Valanis. Keldan of Clan Harvir, at your service." Keld says, reciting the greeting he's been taught with a kind of polite solemnity that only very young boys can manage.

"Do you just call the island that just because of the shield over the fire? What is this Game that Rheeta was telling me about? How do you all know about it?" Keld says, bursting with more questions, but not wanting to seem as ignorant as he is.

Keld tries to appraise how old the elf is, whether he's the oldest boy here.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-28, 03:38 PM
DM: Some Sense Motive checks may have been rolled.

The elf seems to be ... hard to say how old he is in elf years, but definitely one of the tallest here, and acts like the one in charge.

Have a seat, please.

Everyone grab seats, either on chairs or the overturned barrels, with Keld clearly the focus of attention, whether he likes it or not.

Ah, so many questions must be running through your mind. Excuse us staring, but we're not used to see anyone on their feet so soon after the transition. Usually takes a day or two to recover from the fall.

Took me three days ... near broke my damn neck. One of the others reinforces his words.

Anyway, very perceptive of you to notice our emblem, there on the wall.

Island of the Crimson Shield is the best! The halfling kid squeaks, and all laugh heartily. After a brief pause, the Elf continues.

I'm not asking you how you came here, because I know. We all found ourselves here the same way, with minor variations. Why are we here? As I said, the Game. The Game is simple: in the sea, there are dozen islands, connected by bridges. Whichever island you're dropped on, is your home team. Whichever team manages to occupy all islands and beat the other teams, wins and gets to go home. This is all we know. This is what we were told. Everyone you see here is your teammate - all thirteen of us.

Valanis pauses and lets you digest the information, maybe say something.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-28, 05:30 PM
"Who told you about the game? Nobody told me anything. How do you capture other islands?"

Keld stares at his hands, examining his fingernails.

"Do you know what happens to the losers?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-28, 10:39 PM
As I am telling you now, the ones that were here when I plopped down on the sand a few years back, they told me. Who told them? Well, the Game ... you see they, whoever "they" may be, kidnapped us and placed us here, and we have to fight. We have no choice. We're not very good at this, and haven't really captured anything yet. Well, just once, we captured Darkwater Island, that's the one to the west, but we were pushed back. At least we've been defending our island successfully, which is better than nothing. This has been going for quite a while. People come, arriving the same way you did, and ... he stops for a moment, then finishes the sentence. And go.

Let's eat!

The girls bring in trays of food from an adjacent room, probably the kitchen; everyone digs in. The food is surprisingly good. There's meatloaf, bread, potatos, rice, even gravy. And mead to top it off.

Valanis explains to you as he chews, There are only three rules to the Game. First, you can't play to lose. Second, every day game ends at sundown. Third, never look directly into the sun.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-29, 06:08 AM
((OOC: ...Dammit, now I'm really hungry.))

Keld blinks as the food is brought out, his mouth watering.

"This looks delicious! Where do you get it all from? Do you cook it yourself?"

He thanks whichever girl who serves him profusely, and then tucks in for a few moments, doing fair damage to the meatloaf.

"So... do people die? Is that how you're supposed to take islands? Which team is doing the best so far? How many people are in the other teams... are we small or large?"

He pauses for a moment to shovel another load of potatoes and rice into his mouth. He swallows before he's ready, and grimaces painfully as he asks a fresh load of questions.

"Why is it called dark water island? How do you know who's on what team, other then by recognising your friends?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 09:24 AM
Valanis tries to answer your questions one by one, constantly interrupted by the other kids, who are all very excited about the new arrival.

The food? Some of it we made here, some we got from ... them. As you could see, there are no wheat fields or cow pastures on the island.

At your mention of people dying, they tense up a bit. Eventually one big kid musters up a "Don't worry about it." Whether this encourages you or not is questionable.

We don't know much about the other islands. We have our three neighbours, they don't let us on their islands, we don't let them on ours, for obvious reasons. Nobody, here at least, knows much about the other islands. There are rumors flying around, that we got from our neighbours. You can ask them yourself tomorrow - when you go on guard duty with the rest.

How do we know who's on what team? Wherever you're dropped, that's your team. If you were to hit the beach one island away, I guess you'd be my sworn enemy right now.

Are we small or large? Right now, I'd say, fairly small. We're lucky to have only three bridges, some islands have more than three. I have no idea how we were to defend this place if we were to spread our resources across more than three bridges.

We used to be more powerful once, with twenty or so players. That was before my time, but I heard stories. We took Darkwater Island, they have a castle similar to ours, and this emblem of a black wave, and anyway,

And, they cheated! The big kid smacks his fist on the table. Once you lose, you lose. Their castle was taken, so they had to serve us.

Yes. Something like that. Anyway, they had a different view of the rules. Their survivors rebeled one day and pushed us off their island.

The meal is almost over. The girls are clearing out the dishes. Marianna, who's in charge of your side of the table, takes the empty plates of your neighbours to the right and left, but leaves yours in place. You're quite sure she's doing it on purpose.

It's getting late, the Elf says. Busy day tomorrow. Keldan, you'll share a room with Migor.
Whaaat!? The halfling whines, I just got a room for myself last week.
Valanis shrugs. Please, Migor, show Keldan to your room. His room. And one more thing, Keldan of Clan Harvir. You're now Keldan of the Crimson Shield.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-29, 11:31 AM
Keld rises, leaving his plate where it is. That uppity human girl clearly isn't helping with the guarding, so she should do her job properly.

He grabs one of the weapons off the wall as he falls in to follow the halfling. They say the game ends at sundown, but he's dubious. "Don't worry, Migor. I'm a quiet sleeper and I'm tidy. You won't even notice me, half the time. How did you get a room of your own? Was someone killed?"

Keld keeps a lid on the half a dozen new questions the previous answers provoked, wanting to first make nice to the halfling so he actually gets some answers.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 11:57 AM
As you approach the weapons collection again, you may equip yourself with any of the following:

Shortspear
Quarterstaff
Shortsword
Rapier
Longsword
Scimitar
Falchion
Light Wooden Shield
All weapons are made of light wood (deal non-lethal damage, and -1 to each damage die); the shield is normal.

You follow Migor upstairs to the second floor, through a wooden door, into a bedroom. He points at one of the two beds, which seems like it hasn't been slept in for a while.

Next to the bed, there's a closed wooden chest, and on top of it, a stringed musical instrument you never seen the likes of.

Migor sits on his own bed, and after a moment of silence, points at the instrument. He made it himself. My roommate, Devon. Whittled it from a tree, and god knows where he got the strings. He was a nice guy. I miss him sometimes. Although it's cool to have a room all for yourself. Was cool, anyway.

He sits on the bed, silent, for a few minutes, then jumps up. Hey, wanna see something? He opens the shutters and points at the sky. You don't recognize any of the constellations - the stars look completely foreign. After a moment, you realize where Migor is pointing - it's a perfect ring-shaped group of stars. We call it The Eye. It's like they are watching us. Through it. Anyway, time to hit the sack. Up at dawn tomorrow, as always.

If you follow his advice and go to sleep:
Nothing happens overnight. You wake up at dawn (or, if you're a heavy sleeper, Migor wakes you up). You regain hit points appropriately for a night rest.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-29, 12:21 PM
((Keldan takes a falchion))

Keld stares at the instrument for a moment, expressionlessly. When Migor draws his attention to the stars, he turns to fix him with him with an odd stare instead, as if snapped out of a trance and not quite able to remember how the halfling got there. The moment passes. "That's strange... I don't see the sky very often, but we definitely don't have that on our world. Why do you think it's a them? Rather then just that... man?"

Keld peers up at the stars. "It's all so strange... why we're here... these rules... what happens if you break them? You must have seen someone try. If you try to attack at night or get everyone to stop playing, or look at the sun... or was that just a joke? And there's something else. The most important. How often do you get new players? And when get dropped in, is there a big flash or a sound or anything? Or do you just have to spot them from the tower? Does every team get a new player at the same time?"

Keld realises he's talking more then Migor probably wants to.

"I'm sorry. I know you want to sleep, I'll just... I'll sleep easier knowing some things."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 01:54 PM
Well, I mean, look at this place, it's huge. Of course it's more than one man, how could one man make all this?

Break the rules? Bad things happen if you break the rules. There was this boy, he threw a spear at night, through the gap, when the bridge was open. Just threw a spear into the darkness, didn't even attempt to hit anyone in particular. And the next day he went for a swim, got a cramp and drowned, just fifty yards off shore. It was before my time, but some of the older kids remember him.

New players? It's just ... whenever. Random. Sometimes a few months go by without getting anyone, and sometimes a few come in succession. I dunno if the other islands get a player at the same time, they woundn't tell us anyways. They just appear in mid-air, ten or twenty feet above the sand - luckily, the sand is soft, Island of the Crossed Swords, that's the one to the east, is all rocky, I wouldn't want to land there - and whoomp, fall down. There's this area of beach where they usually appear, we don't walk there. Cause, you see, you wouldn't want a new arrival to break his fall on your noggin, right?

Good night!

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 01:59 PM
DM only
[roll0] .........

SlyJohnny
2010-04-29, 02:22 PM
"Good night, Migor. Sleep well."

Keld sleeps, but with a mind to waking early the next day, before everyone else.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 03:15 PM
Ok, I'm somewhat stumped here, as there are no D&D rules for waking up early. But, I guess it would depend on one's physical resilience... or maybe willpower?

You know what, if you want to wake up before everyone else, roll a d20, add both your Wil and For save bonuses, and have the result be 20+.

I totally made this rule up right now.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-29, 03:40 PM
((That actually makes perfect sense! It explains why I can't get up in the morning to save my life :) ))

[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 10:42 PM
And neither, apparently, can your character. Dawn is painting the eastern sky red as Migor nudges you awake. All over the castle, sounds of hurried footsteps and quick conversations.

Get up, Keld, get dressed, team assignment starts.

Outside the gates, you see others gathering, weapons ready. As you leave the room, Migor darts back in, and comes back with a long rust-colored coat.

Almost forgot. I wanted to give you this. It belonged to one of the previous players. He was about your size. I think it'll fit you nicely.

If you examine the coat, you find it stuffed with soft cloth and leather [[counts as Padded armor]] It really seems to be your size. A small patch of black leather covers a hole in the chest area.

Downstairs, you join the gathering. Valanis gives orders for the day, assigning people to guard the bridges. You're sent to the west bridge with a group of three humans. The leader of your small group is Serjan, a kid as tall as Valanis, but wider and more muscular. He's carrying two shortswords in what seem to be homemade scabbards. Your two other partners carry a longsword and a shortspear and shield.

Let's go meet the losers, says Serjan.

Everyone check their weapons, glance at the spreading dawn, and get ready to move out.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 02:11 AM
Keld thanks Migor profusely, although he's unsure how to react to the halflings generosity.

He reluctantly falls into his group. He'd hope to sneak off in the morning to avoid guard duty. With his luck, he'll be recognised by the whole rest of the island. He falls in behind his team leader.

"Why do we split up to guard the bridges? Why not stay together at the fort, and send people out to whichever bridge the other team comes accross?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 09:31 AM
Serjan: Holing outselves up in the castle is a sign of weakness.
Valanis: If our neighbours came to the bridge in the morning and not find us there, they'll surely march on to the island. All three of our neighbours. And we'll be under attack from all sides. If we meet them halfway, it's a deterrent, at least.

Your little group starts its march west. Slowly, the bridge rises above the water, and after walking a few minutes, gets so high you're afraid to glance over the railing. You get the very disconcerting feeling your group are not the only ones moving here. So is the bridge. If you ask about this, or give signs the movement bothers you:
Serjan: Don't worry about it. It's just closing down. The bridges open overnight, you see, there's a gap in the center. Now the gap is closing.
You've walked for almost half-mile and are getting close to the middle of the bridge now. [[to be continued. let me know if you want to do something proactive in the meanwhile]]

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 10:30 AM
Keld looks down at the bridge as he walks. He finds himself apprehensively running his hand along the black leather patch in his thick jacket, tracing the seams of the hasty repair with one of his fingers. I don't know why I'm nervous. I bet half of these human kids arn't even trained to heft a sword. I could knock them about but good. And if it all goes wrong, I can escape under the bridge. Or even just blast th- ... I, I could use my power to... like I did with Dal....

Keld shivers for no apparent reason, and speaks to distract hinself.

"So what island is at the end of this bridge? Our neighbours are Darkwater, Crossed Swords, and who else? This place is so... silly. What shape do the islands make, connecting as they do? It can't be a circle. It must be more like a pentagram or a diamond. Has anyone made a map? Or even been to the far islands?"

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 10:33 AM
((OOC: Wait, is Valanis with my group? I thought it was just me, Serjan, and two other humans?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 10:35 AM
He's not with your group. That convo took place right before you left the island. [[ to be continued ]]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 12:07 PM
Darkwater to the west, that's where we're going now, Crossed Swords to the east, and Brotherhood Island to the north. That's what I know. When our guys occupied Darkwater, they saw it had two other connections, but I forget the names. Maybe ask Valanis at the end of the day. Or you can ask the losers directly, once you see them. If they'll answer.
Exact map? Nobody knows. There must be a dozen of those things. Or more.

Dozen? Another kid snorts. I say it's endless. Never ends. It's just islands all the way.

Don't be stupid. If it's endless, then how come we have nobody on the south? We must be on the edge.

And the other edge is ... exactly where?

Okay, okay ... look sharp, people, here they come.

Across the arc of the bridge, you see a small group of humanoids, similar to yourself, approaching. There's a gap in the middle of the bridge, and it slowly closes down just as the two groups approach. There you are, three human kids and one dwarf, about 20' away from the gap (which is now a barely visible seam), and on the other side, a group of four adolescent Half-Orcs armed with wooden swords.

The two groups eye each other intently. Serjan is the first to break the silence.

Helllloooo losers!

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 12:20 PM
Keld stares across at them. Four half-orcs at once... odd. Or is it?

"Hey. Where do you come from?" he whispers to the two kids next to him. "What town? What country? Heck, what do they call the world?"

He raises his voice just high enough to include their leader, and asks "Have we ever had half orcs on our team? Or anything else that's not a demihuman?"

He eyes the half orcs appraisingly, wondering how they'll respond to the taunt.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 01:18 PM
OOC: I'm not sure which world you're from, but anyway, they both name countries you recognize. They're from far away, but definitely same world as you.

Meanwhile Serjan is too busy exchanging insults with the half-orcs to mind your question.

He has basically four main arguments:
1. "You're losers, you lost, we took your island, you should be our slaves, what you did wasn't by the rules."
2. "Anyway, you're dead men walking, when your island is taken once, you can't win anymore."
3. "We beat you once, and we'll beat you again."
4. "And you're ugly too."
The Half-Orcs' only have one argument, and it boils down to: "You and your pansy elf can shove the rules where the sun don't shine before we beat the living crap out of you."

After a while, the sides grow weary of this rather repetitive exchange. All the other seven drop their warlike posture and either sit down on the stone bridge or lean on the railing. Serjan turns to you. What were you asking? Half orcs? Not demihumans? Heaven forbid, we're not freaks, unlike some. Also, he lowers his voice, don't talk about team matters here. Don't give any info to the enemy.

Also, you note two of the half-orcs pointing at you and
(Listen DC 5 to open spoiler)
making fun of the short new guy. they seem to find your stocky build rather humorous

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 01:24 PM
Listen: [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 01:29 PM
Keld leans back, and chats to his team mates, content to talk about whatever they steer the conversation towards. He occasionally glances over at the half-orcs, expressionlessly sizing them up. He finds he has a desire to go over and chat to them, but doesn't want to make trouble. He relaxes, but remains somewhat alert, his falchion drawn.

((Content to wait until the end of duty, or until something happens))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 01:31 PM
[roll0] let's see if something happens.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 01:34 PM
Your teammates talk about castle maintainance, berry picking, water temperature, and other trivial issues. At lunchtime, one of them gets sandwiches out of his backpack. There's enough food for everyone. The half-orcs gruffly chew on their own food. Let's see if something happens after lunch. [roll0] EDIT: nothing remarkable happens. At sundown, the bridge slowly starts to open up. The seam turns into a gap, expanding up to about 15 feet in a few minutes. The half-orcs turn and leave. Serjan leads your small team back home, not before yelling Losers! for the last time.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 01:36 PM
((Trivial question, but is the half orc grub more or less the same as ours?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 01:37 PM
The sandwiches aren't cut as neatly, and the layers of ham and veggies aren't laid out as meticulously, but the general concept is the same.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 01:38 PM
"So nothing happens at night? Nothing at all, it's all against the rules? No new players ever come in at night? Fighting is forbidden, or even moving off the island and scouting?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 01:41 PM
It just says "Game ends at sundown". That's what we were told. We don't take any chances. And where would you go anyway, with the bridges wide open?

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 01:43 PM
"You could swim over. What says? Did the older players ever say who told them?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 01:47 PM
I don't know. I never met any of the original players. Come to think of it, when I came to the island, three years ago, everyone who was there, never met any of the original players too. Valanis was here even longer, he also never met anyone who met any of the original players. It's just something that passes from one generation to another. But people who break the rules do get punished (he repeats the story you heard before, of the kid who drowned after throwing a spear at night).

Back on your home island, the guards from the other bridges are gathering.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 01:55 PM
Keld falls in with the rest of the children, eager to here what happened today and get to know the others better.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 02:13 PM
You mingle around with the children, listening to them as they exchange stories of their day.
No one was under attack, no one was forced into combat, and that's good.

Make five Gather Information checks. For each check that beats the appropriate DC, you may open the spoiler.

DC 5The north island (Brotherhood) is populated by very powerful oriental warriors. Luckily, they aren't agressive, and are content to guard their own border.

DC 10The east island is populated mostly by Elves and Half-Elves. If you're reading this, another DC 15 checkValanis never goes to guard on the east bridge because he doesn't want to confront his own

DC 15Valanis heard (from another kid) about Serjan's constant taunting of the half-orcs, and he's not happy about this

DC 20There's an idea brewing among some human kids to attack the east island. They're considered the weakest of the neighbours.

DC 25Your character can't make DC 25, so why the hell are you reading this? No cheating!

Once you had your share of mingling, Valanis calls you and asks you to follow him into the castle. He wants to talk.

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 02:21 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

SlyJohnny
2010-04-30, 02:30 PM
Keld listens raptly to any casual gossip he can obtain.

He tries to clarify whether a dwarf has ever been seen as a player on any of the other three islands, and if anyone knows where any of these people come from: if they're all from the same region.

Whether or not he finds out, he follows Valanis into the castle, taking the opportunity to swap his falchion out with a longsword. His experimental swings of it have found it to be more unwieldy then heavy, and a nice, balanced longsword might be better for smacking people with.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 11:03 PM
Valanis leads you to a side room, where Marianna is waiting for the two of you, with a glare that doesn't require description.

Valanis scratches his head. So, I heard some interesting things about you. Dropped on the sand, disappeared out of sight, and was next seen on the roof. How'd you do that exactly? And why would you need to lie? We're teammates, we don't lie to each other. So, care to try this from the start?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-01, 05:12 AM
Keldan exchanges glares with Marianna. Perceptive little trinket. If there's one thing he hates, it's being called on his lies.

"I didn't lie, Valanis!" he says, hotly. "Father says a dwarf that lies is one step away from a dwarf that does shoddy stonework. Marianna was just slacking off on watch and is trying to make up excuses for it."

He sighs, and looks up to meet Valanis's gaze. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sneak around like that. It was unbecoming. I was just... really scared when I landed here. And everything was so odd. I wanted to see who lived in the castle before they found me. The gate wasn't shut properly, so I wriggled through. Marianna and that other girl were too busy arguing to notice. I was going to say hello to them, but I'd seen a flash from the tower and wanted to know what it was, and get a better view of the island. And once I got up there... well, that girl seemed all right, so I sort of gave myself up."

He relates the story in a matter-of-fact, as if he's far too unimaginative to come up with elaborate lies. He glances at Marianna again.

"You're lucky I wasn't one of the enemy. I could have stolen the crimson shield off the mantle and pushed Rheeta off the tower with it, by the time you'd finished squabbling over whether or not to look for me."

((Bluff- [roll0]))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 02:36 PM
Much more plausible this time, so only +5 to Sense Motive. [roll0]

Edit: Uh oh.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 02:38 PM
No! That's not true ... Val, you have to believe me, we didn't slack, the gate was closed tight!

I believe you, Mar. Keld, last chance to come clean. Why are you lying to us, and what are you hiding?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-01, 02:57 PM
Keld scowls, for a moment looking as if he's going to fight, or tell them where to shove their invasive questions. "Oh, fine. Be like that then." He says, petulantly. He finds he's all but holding back tears. It's not fair they don't believe him, just because he's lying through his teeth. Why are they so mean and mistrustful?

"I can show you. But just you, Valanis. Mar doesn't need to see and I don't trust her. You'll have to come outside. I'm not being shifty, but it's easier to show you if I have more space and a proper wall." Keld says. Plus, if you react like everyone else did when I tell you, I can get away easier if I'm already outside.

((Being honest about intent to show him Spiderwalk on the wall outside, but possibly concealing motives re: wanting to be outside to potentially escape if they attack. Bluff roll?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 03:07 PM
[[Eh. I'll let you get away with the last bit w/o a bluff]]

Whether you trust Marianna or not is irrelevant. I trust her, a lot more than I trust you anyways. Very well, let's go outside. Show us what you've got.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-01, 04:07 PM
Keld wanders outside with them and leads them around the back, away from the other children. He walks up to the wall of the fort, and then scuttles up it, his limbs flexing strangly as he adheres to the wall easily. He turns around to look down on them, hanging upside down with his legs pointing skyward.

"When I was small... there was... a little spider, in one of the shafts. One I wasn't supposed to be in. It talked. It showed me things. It said a lot of things I don't... I didn't understand. It said it could give me powers if I'd help it, bring it out of the shaft. And if I promised to... It was only a tiny spider, and I was worried about the voice and I wanted it to stop, so I took it out, to the surface, but even after the spider went, the voice... anyway. I can do this whenever I want."

He peers down on them from his position, from a height he's calculated to be out of reach of a heavy stone's throw.

"...Please don't tell anyone."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-02, 09:08 AM
Valanis smirks as he sees you on the wall. Well, I certainly can see why you wanted to keep this a secret. But don't be afraid. We had people with strange talents before. The previous tenant of your room, all sorts of strange things happened when he played his music. Things even he couldn't explain. Anyway, don't be afraid. I won't tell the others, but even if they knew, no one here will scream "burn the witch". We don't do this to teammates.

Marianna, on her part, only has one word to say about this.
Cool

SlyJohnny
2010-05-02, 05:39 PM
"...Oh! Okay."

Keld crawls down a little way, and then falls off to land on the sand.

"I'm sorry about the lies. You say we're all friends and on the same team, but I wasn't sure if I had any friends. And it was strange to just be stuck in the air and then have people looking for me... well, you went through it too."

He follows the other two back inside.

"So it's always the same place people appear? How do you know? Is there a big flash or noise or something, or do they just hang there for a while? How long do they hang?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-02, 07:41 PM
It's more or less the same place. Always during the day. They just ... materialize, quietly, out of something that looks like black mist. Take a minute or two, usually whoever's on lookout has time to notice. And if not, there's usually the scream, when they fall.
Meanwhile, you're called by the others to join them for supper. Food is, as before, delicious. Girls clear the table afterwards, and you no longer have a problem with your plate being left.
[[unless you want to do something proactive, nothing interesting will happen for the rest of the evening]]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-02, 10:47 PM
Keld hits the sack early. He wants to rise before the others tomorrow. The information about how new players are dropped in has all but scuppered his plans to infiltrate the other teams, but he's still enthusiastic to check out the other island, and he figures it'll be easier to slip out and then beg for forgiveness, rather then ask for permission.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 12:34 AM
You go to your room, (politely?) shrug off Migor's attempts at cheerful conversation, and drop into bed.

DM[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 12:36 AM
You wake up before dawn. As you lie in bed, you note that the sky, other than maybe a small hint of rose in the east, is pitch black, and all is quiet in the castle.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 08:37 AM
Keld takes a deep breath, and then wanders into the main hall, trying to find the kitchen. He looks about for a bit of metal cutlery, something large and that still has the shine on it: a steak knife, or a big serving spoon. Something he can see his reflection in most clearly.

Then he creeps out towards the gate, and recasts Spiderwalk and starts clambering over the wall, so as not to leave footprints. He heads North, hopping off the wall and moving along the bridge. Before he gets within sight of the gap, he crawls underneath it, moving along the underside, upside down.

He crawls towards the gap, and stops before he reaches it, so he's not visible from the other side... and also because he's nervous about the Rules everyone talks about, and doesn't want his actions misinterpreted.

He waits for day to arrive, for the bridge to extend. He fills his time by peering out at everything he can see, and quietly thinking.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 08:58 AM
DMSpot [roll0] Before you leave the room, you notice Migor is not in his bed, nowhere to be seen in fact. Some spare blankets have been tucked under the covers to "fill in" for him. Would you like to do something else in view of this information or continue as you were?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 09:12 AM
Keld stares at the blankets.

That's odd... what's your secret, little bunk-mate?

Keld thinks for a moment. Then he does the same thing himself, wadding up blankets to make it seem as if he's still in bed. Then, after claiming the peice of cutlery he judges most suitable for use as a mirror, he climbs up to the watchtower and recasts Spiderwalk. He lies prone on the platform, keeping his eyes mostly fixed on the gate.

If the halfling tries to sneak back in through the gate from an angle of approach that can be seen from the tower, Keld will hurriedly clamber down to meet him. Otherwise, if dawn comes with no sign of the errant halfling, Keld will clamber down the tower and the northern wall, and head onto (and under) the bridge, before the northern patrol comes out to meet him.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 09:24 AM
You grab a well-polished tray that can, in emergency, double up as a mirror. Some time passes as you lie in wait on the tower, focused on the gate. You don't see the halfling, or anyone else for that matter. All is quiet. Stars begin to give way to the light of dawn, and shadowy outlines of objects are visible. You decide it's time to leave. You climb under the north bridge, clinging to it with unnaturally hairy and sticky fingers. You go halfway, and wait for the two ends of the bridge to meet - which happens at about sunrise. Just as the gap in the bridge closes down its final few feet, you hear steps approaching from both sides - patrols are coming in from your island and from the north.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 09:27 AM
Keld lingers a moment, waiting for the two parties to speak with or greet one another. He's curious if the oriental folk speak in Common amoungst themselves, or some native tongue.

After a few minutes of eavesdropping, he continues on, past the Brotherhood guards and towards their island.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 11:13 AM
No one speaks for quite a while. It's quite eery actually. If Keld hasn't heard the approaching footsteps himself, he could have sworn there's nobody there. Apparently the rules of engagement are very much different here than on the half-orc bridge.

Keld slowly starts moving north, clinging to the underside of the bridge.
DMMove Silently [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 11:16 AM
Keld's foot scrapes on a piece of masonry, and now you hear speech in an unfamiliar tongue. Someone's peering over the side of the bridge. It's difficult for them to bend over and see the underside, so -5 to Spot. Please make a hide check vs [roll0].

Edit: Well, their spotting skills don't seem up to the task. The guards argue among themselves for a while, but fail to notice you, as you cling to the warm stones, heart pounding, and eventually go back to their watch. You continue north. [[to be continued]]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 12:38 PM
Remembering not to look down, you make your way across the hundred-yard-high bridge (don't look down, I said!), wind gently caressing your hair and the waves below (which part of don't look down did you not understand!?) and finally reach the far shore, muscles aching.

On the other side, a hard rocky beach welcomes you, nothing like the soft sand on your side. You're still under the bridge, like a troll, wandering what to do next.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 08:53 PM
Keld peers out, wondering if he can see a clear depression in the beach, an obvious place where the children steer clear of that might indicate a player drop point.

He slowly slips the tray underneath the sand, in time with the lapping of a particularly high wave, and tries to peek up at the person on watch, getting a sense of where they're directing their attention.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 09:23 PM
The Castle on this island, as you can see in the mirror, is no castle at all, but rather a two-storey barrack-like building, about two hundred yards away. The island itself is rocky, with patches of shrubbery and low overgrowth. Short, thin trees grow sparsely. From your point of view, you can see a lone figure walking about the flat roof of the barracks.

You don't see any place that screams to you "new arrivals here".

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 09:59 PM
Keld waits until the figure on top has turned to fave the other way entirely, and then rushes up to the barracks building, flattening himself against it. He heads towards the door, and puts his ear to it, listening.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:03 PM
I'm gonna need some Move Silently and Hide checks on this.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 10:04 PM
Eeep. I hate those.

Move Silently [roll0]

Hide [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:07 PM
Listen [roll0]
Spot, if needed, [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:09 PM
You get to the building unnoticed. The guard seems to be busy with something else on the other side, and doesn't hear your steps, nor your hoarse breath. Putting your ear to the door, you hear absolutely nothing. [[I may have rolled a Listen check privately. Also, is Keld armed? I don't see any weapons on your charsheet, but you did say something about taking a longsword. Is it still on you?]]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 10:13 PM
((Ah, still had the falchion on the charsheet. Changed to longsword.))

Keld remains for a minute or so, listening at the door.

Assuming he hears nothing, he quietly opens it and peeks inside.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:14 PM
The door won't budge. Keld notes with disappointment it's locked from the inside.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 10:17 PM
Keld circles around the building, looking for a vulnerable entry point- a window that isn't as secure as the others, or another door. He hopes he doesn't have to climb on top of the building to gain entry.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:34 PM
Most of the windows are shuttered tight, but you find one shutter ajar. Someone has been very neglectful ...

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 10:42 PM
Keld cautiously opens the window with the point of his sword, suspicious of his good fortune, anticipating a trap. He clambers up and wiggles through the window.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:48 PM
You find yourself in a dimly lit pantry. Shelves line the walls, loaded with unlabeled boxes, and also some pots and pans. Smell of exotic spices is thick in the air. One plain door seems to lead into the interior of the building.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-03, 10:54 PM
Keld advances, favouring efficiency over stealth. He wants to scope this place out and possible raid it before he's discovered.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 09:44 AM
The door leads you to a large mess hall. You can't see much details, the first thing you notice there's a skinny long-braided girl with a broom, sweeping the floor. (Assuming you take 10 on Move Silently and Hide, Listen [roll0] and Spot [roll1] on her part, both vs. DC 12)

Edit: She hears you and spins around to face you.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 12:02 PM
As soon as the girl starts to turn, Keld inwardly curses, and without thinking, he rushes forward, hurling his full weight at the girl as he brings his sword around in a wide arc, aiming to knock her down before she can raise the broom in her defense, or scream an alarm. He idly wonders if he just started a war between his island and that of the more powerful Brotherhood.

Attack on a Charge (-2 ac till next turn): []1d20+4[]
Damage if hit: []1d8[]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 12:03 PM
((Oops. Rolls are here:))

Attacking on a Charge (-2 ac till next turn): [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 12:04 PM
((...

Look, ******* forum, if you're not going to let me repost, then don't convert my code until you do!))

Attack on a Charge (-2 ac till next turn): []1d20+4[]
Damage if hit: []1d8[]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 12:06 PM
((O_O))

Attack on a Charge (-2 ac till next turn): [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 12:12 PM
Oh, but wait, you failed to surprise her, so initiative first!

[roll0] on her part.

Edit: also, innocent question, you are attacking her for real, yes? (not a trick question, there is no wrong answer, just making sure)

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 12:14 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

((I'm not sure what you mean and I am suspicious that question isn't as innocent as it sounds :P

I suppose I am. I am aiming to incapcitate her before she can raise an alarm, and I am whacking her with my sword as hard as I can, so. Yeah. I'm totally beating up a little girl with pigtails because I'm afraid she'll get me in trouble. Keldan is such a hero. :3 ))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 12:15 PM
DM only:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 12:20 PM
As you charge, the weapon undergoes a change in your hand. Some of your will to hurt, to maim, transfers itself into the weapon. It seems to be infused with your malice. It grows heavy ... but is just as easy to wield.

OOC: deals full damage. And lethal damage, I might add.

The momentum of your charge carries you forward, through the room, and before the girl can raise her broom (broom!) to defend herself, you whack her on the side of the head. She drops on the floor in a limp heap, a small stream of blood trickling down her temple.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 12:42 PM
Keld stifles a cry of victory, and it becomes a laugh that's no louder then the thump of the body hitting the ground. He shivers with the exhiliration, with a rush of adrenaline that's now unneeded. Knocked her out with a single blow! He stares at the sword in his hand, as a feeling of cold dread begins to creep over him, mixing with his sense of malicious triumph.

"hahh... but... why-"

He stares down at the prone figure in front of him.

hide the body

Suddenly moving quickly, he drags her back into the pantry, closing the door. With shaking hands he checks her pulse, and struggles to remember everything Doxx ever told him about first aid, lessons he was never remotely interested in until this moment. Head injury... so that would be...

He tears off a strip of the girls clothing and attempts to bandage the wound without touching her tender skull overmuch. He also collects random articles from the pantry and shoves them like a pillow under her head, elevating it.

((Untrained Heal check, attempting First Aid to stabilise. Can't access my sheet right now, but reasonably sure my Wisdom bonus was +0))

[roll0]

((SRD is confusing on Heal rolls. They can't be retried without evidence of failure, but First Aid checks CAN always be retried, as long as the patient is still alive. So is that a yes, or a no? If they can be retried, I'd like to spend the next few rounds continually making First Aid checks until I beat the DC or the girl is dead. If that's the case, feel free to roll for me for as many rounds as I have.))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 01:10 PM
The girl is lying on the pantry floor, out cold. You can see her chest slowly rising as she takes shallow breaths. The trickling blood dried out, and you think she's not in immediate danger.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 01:35 PM
finish her off

"No." Keld says out loud.

With one backwards glance towards the girl, Keld exits the pantry and heads into the dining hall, looking to explore the rooms from there.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 02:04 PM
So, first things first. Before I forget, 200 XP to Keld. No, not for beating up a girl, but for everything so far put together.

Back from the pantry into the main hall, you see a layout somewhat similar to your own castle - a large hall, with replica (?) weapons and tapestries on the walls. A huge shield with an emblem of a handshake between two gauntleted arms hangs over the main door - same door you tried to open from the outside unsuccessfully; no wonder you failed, it's barred from the inside. There are a few more doors to interior rooms, and a spiral staircase leading both up, to the second floor, and down, to the basement.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 02:08 PM
Keld decides to check out the interior rooms before he risks going upstairs and alerting the guard, or trapping himself in the basement. He roots through the rooms, looking for anything interesting or valuable.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 02:18 PM
First door
Kitchen. Some pots slowly simmering over a small fire. Keld discovers nothing of interest.
Second doorTwo girls mending some clothing with threads and needles.
Spot & Listen on their part [roll0]; in case they see or hear you, Initiative [roll1]

Third door
Uhm, let's resolve door #2 first.
Fourth door
Uhm, let's resolve door #2 first.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 02:22 PM
((: / No listen check to hear the room is occupied before I enter? Ahh, it's my fault for not specifying to do that. Okay, Hide, Move Silently:))

[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative:

[roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 02:31 PM
One of the girls runs to the window and screams a few words in an unknown tongue. The other grabs a quarterstaff and holds it up menacingly, she's ready to attack you, should you try to approach.

WWKD? (What would Keld's do?)

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 02:42 PM
Keld decides that he obviously does not have a career as a sneak-thief ahead of him, and that it is past time to leave. He slams the door shut, and grabs a chair from the hall, forcing it under the handle

Running back into the dining hall, he stomps his foot childishly, angry he's been discovered and is leaving empty handed. His eyes drift over to the large shield hanging above the door.

He moves over to the door and rips off the shield, slinging it across his back. He also removes the bar and kicks the door wide open, in an attempt at misdirection. He turns, heading back towards the pantry, taking a moment to size over the weapons on the wall, wondering if these humans have a different selection available to them then the Crimson Shield island.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 02:49 PM
The shield is not just hanging on the wall, it seems to be bolted or nailed to it. Make a Strength check to rip it off. Should you fail, you may retry if you want, but each try takes one round.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 02:54 PM
"Ngggh!"

[roll0]

If the shield does not come loose on his first initial heaving, Keld briefly contemplates whether blasting out a section of the door with an Eldritch Blast would be a faster way of getting the shield free without damaging it, then simply tugging it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 03:06 PM
Well done. The shield has been ripped off the wall in one try. Carrying the shield on his back, Keld kicks the door open, as planned, then sizes up the weapons on the wall. Oooh, they have interesting stuff, those humans. They have, check this out, polearms! Halberd, Glaive, Guisarme, Ranseur ... how do you pronounce those names anyway?

Meanwhile, two slim bodies throw themselves against the door Keld just recently barred with a deep THUD.

DM[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 03:07 PM
Holy cow, one of them gets a natural 20 and actually manages to get the door unstuck. Now what?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 03:24 PM
Keld spins, raising his free hand. A rush of shifting dark energy flares up his arm and leaps off the edge of his fingertips: no crackling noise or other fanfare, just a bolt of potential death where there was none before. It slams into the top of the door as it swings open.

((Eldritch Blast on the door, or accross the doorway as warning shot. Do I need to roll?))

"Get. Back. INSIDE!" he rasps in Dwarven, raising his voice for possibly the first time since he arrived in this world. He hopes the girls get the point even if they don't speak his tongue.

Assuming the girls hesistate, he turns, shoving his longsword back into his belt and retrieving a nice halberd that reminds him vaguely of his grandfathers military urgosh. If he can still carry anything else, he'll also grab up a number of glaives in his other arm.

He heads for the pantry and shuts the door behind him, intent on escape.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 03:33 PM
Well, looks like you're using the intimidate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm) skill on them.

So, make an Intimidate check vs. [roll0]. You get a +4 bonus due the Eldritch Blast.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 03:36 PM
"Lookit Me I So Scary" roll: [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 03:42 PM
Daunted by this display of arcane power, the girl eeps and darts back into the side room. [[OOC: I need to work out your carrying capacity to figure out how much stuff you can haul. Pause game for now, will be back later today.]]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 11:28 PM
Ok, here goes: You can grab up to 4 polearms and without significantly worsening your athletic ability (which is already limited somewhat by the shield).

Translation: you're already carrying medium load, up to 4 polearms keep you within medium, anything above that puts you in heavy.

Keld grabbed whatever he wished to grab, now he's in the pantry.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-04, 11:44 PM
Keld takes a halberd and four glaives, his solid dwarven frame ensuring he keeps moving at his natural full speed, even though he's definitely carrying one more polearm then he feels remotely comfortable with. He shuffles into the pantry and closes the door behind him.

He takes a moment to check that there isn't anyone waiting outside the window, using his tray, and then struggles out. He looks around for bridges leading away from this island, other then the one he came accross.

Favoring a random bridge headed to the east or west, if there is one, but ultimately settling for any bridge that doesn't lead back to his home island, he jogs over to it, "accidentally" letting the glaives slip from his back near the front of the bridge. He hurriedly scoops them all back up, save one, which lightens his load and hopefully will serve to mislead his pursuers.

He clambers underneath this bridge, hoping he has enough of a headstart on his pursuers to not have been seen. He heads out along it, resolving to stop once he's out of easy visibility of the island, but well before he reaches the middle. The polearms are occasionally clattering on the underside, and he doesn't feel like another fight today.

((Whew. Let's see if I can get that laundry list done without encountering something that will potentially throw it off halfway through :)))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 12:06 AM
You notice arching bridges to the east and west. In addition to the one back south, which I guess you're not interested in. If there's a bridge north, you can't see it from here. Since Keld expressed no preference of direction, and both bridges look pretty much the same, I'll let his intuition decide. [roll0] 1 = he goes east, 2 = he goes west.

Also, as he's about 50' away from the barracks, a distinct whoosh of an arrow or a crossbow bolt headed right for him makes his heart miss a beat. Let's see if that shield he carries on his back has more use than just an emblem, shall we? [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 12:10 AM
Oh my. A crossbow bolt hits his unprotected shoulder for [roll0] damage. Wounded, he continues on his path.
Keld had AC 17 = +1 armor, +2 dex, +4 shield. In a way, I'm glad the shot hit 18, it saved me deliberating whether he's devoid of dex bonus or not :smalltongue:

SlyJohnny
2010-05-05, 12:16 AM
((Bloody hell, +4 ac shield? I'm stealing every teams coat of arms from now on! Is it the size of a tower shield, could I seek cover behind it? Oh, and that was lethal damage, right?))

Keld cries out, the bolt wrenching a sob of pain from in between his panting. A crossbow? Where did these oriental kids get or make a crossbow? Why doesn't HE have a crossbow? Life is so unfair.

Keld whirls, attempting to identify the location and relative distance of the sniper, wondering if he can get at them or if it's best just to cut his losses and keep running.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 12:52 PM
((OOC: to answer your questions in order, it IS a tower shield, and the +4 AC is exactly the cover bonus. Yes, that was lethal damage from a pretty much real bolt.))

On the roof of the barracks, Keld notices a figure. Only the dark-haired head is visible, he or she is probably lying prone.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-05, 05:39 PM
A crossbow. A real hunting crossbow. His father had one of those that he was never allowed to touch. That would be a treasure to bring back, better then a polearm, any day. A few Eldritch Blasts would put that kid on the deck and leave it ripe for the taking. Keld raises his injured arm as if to take a pot shot, and then whimpers in fresh agony as his shoulder muscles tighten around the bolt's entry point. No. One clean shot would put paid to him. That wiry human kid will get his another day.

Keld turns and runs, full tilt, for the cover of the underside of the bridge, intent on making his escape underneath it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 09:07 PM
As you run, the distant sniper reloads and gets another shot at you. Probably too far to be a real threat, but still, who knows, this might be his or her lucky day ... Keld is not the only one here thinking "one good shot and I got me a nice trophy", you know.

[roll0], [roll1]

Edit: Well, this bolt misses wide and hits nothing but some rocks. You reach the underside of the bridge safely. Which one is it, by the way? The one going home or a different one?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-06, 03:51 PM
Keld drops a glaive as planned, and then crawls away along the underside of the western bridge, heading away from this island and to somewhere potentially much more dangerous.

He crawls as speedily as he can, aiming to get out of crossbow range that much faster in case the kid gets any cute ideas about leaping off the roof to take a parting shot at his back. He peers backwards, worriedly, wondering if anyone is looking for him underneath the bridge or otherwise racing towards it to warn the guards. He feels a lot less confident about his brilliant sneak attack strategy, now that he knows the pointy objects these kids carry are particularly long as well as pointy.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 04:00 PM
Keld manages to get under the bridge and away from land without being on the wrong side of any parting shots. He starts crawling forward, clinging to the stony underside in a most unnatural position.

Near the middle of the bridge, where you can see the seam ... well, you can't actually see it, but you're nearing the highest point of your crossing, uh oh, highest point, DON'T LOOK DOWN, you need to make a Move Silently check.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-06, 04:07 PM
Keld winces as the point of one of the glaives taps softly against the underside of the bridge, a sound that sounds like a thunderbolt to him. He grasps the errant point in his hand, repositioning it, and continues onward.

(Sneakety-sneak: [roll0])

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-07, 09:56 AM
Listen, 1st group [roll0]
Listen, 2nd group [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-07, 09:58 AM
You hear some commotion above. You've been noted. A face leans over the edge of the bridge, east of the seam. Well, not a face as such. A head, rather, covered in a horned demonic mask. At least you hope it's a mask.

((OOC: I'll be unable to post most of the weekend))

SlyJohnny
2010-05-07, 10:40 AM
Keld shirks backwards and flattens himself against the supports of the bridge, hoping that the angle is sufficiently uncomfortable that the masked demon-looking thing will elect to get back up rather then scan the underside in any detail. He begins to wonder whatever posessed him to think this was a good idea.

Hide: [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-07, 10:46 AM
Keld holds his breath, trying to be one with the stone.

Spot check ... [roll0]

Whew... after only a brief examination, the head pops back up. I mean, so what if they heard a noise ... could have been any noise, right? Or maybe they were imagining things... nobody expects to see a kid with a tower shield and four polearms clinging to the underside of the bridge, right?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-07, 11:29 AM
Keld internally monologues a prayer to Vergadain and continues his crawl. Just one more dangerous bridge to go after this, and he's home free, he thinks. I need a better way. Something to distract the guards up top. I can't keep doing this, the elf said there could be a dozen islands, and sooner or later an island with polearms or crossbows will hear me. But I have to know about the other islands. Maybe if I... well. Just get home, for now.

He crawls to the edge of the bridge and remains there, composing himself. He repeats his ritual of slipping his tray under the sand and lifting it up in time with the soft lapping of a wave, checking out this islands building and any guards it may have. He also looks to see if this island does have a clearly demarked landing place for new arrivals.

((OOC: When there was the commotion earlier, were the demon-heads speaking Common?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 09:55 AM
((ooc: not any language you recognize))

Through your improvised mirror, you see a grassy meadow, and beyond it, well-tended gardens. Beyond the gardens, a white stone building with a domed roof, about 500' away. Two figures are tending the garden - one pruning the rose bushes, the other digging something. They're about 200' away, and don't seem to notice you.

Nothing strikes you as the designated arrival spot at this time.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 10:45 AM
Keldan withdraws the tray and then curls up against the underside of the bridge. He's made his mind up to wait until nightfall before he tries moving over to the bridge that he thinks will take him to the half-orc island. He idly fingers the tender shoulder wound where the bolt hit him, and if it's still embedded, he removes it with a significant amount of soft whimpering. He studies the bloodied quarrel before he pockets it, wondering how crude it is or if it looks relatively well-made.

He spends some time pondering the layout of this place, wondering what directions bridges lead off from this island, and then dozes lightly, content to wait hidden under the bridge until night falls and the guards return.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 11:13 AM
The bolt definitely seems to be crudely homemade, with a fire-hardened tip. The fletching work is rather shoddy, thus probably ineffective at long ranges. Hurts just as much as the real thing, though.

You spend the rest of the day resting and nursing your shoulder. ((recover 1 hit point))

The sun sets, and you hear footsteps on the bridge above as the guards return. They exchange trite remarks about their day - in Common, much to your surprise. Apparently, nothing interesting happened today and for this they are ready to give thanks to their gods. They keep walking toward the center of the island, not noticing you. At dusk, you feel the bridge moving slightly, as it opens up for the night. As darkness falls, you see some campfires lit on the island.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 11:25 AM
Keld wonders why they don't all go indoors, but dozes off again, content to wait until a time when he judges most of them will be asleep by their campfires.

After a few hours, he wanders out, hugging the crest of the beach as he heads around towards this island's southern bridge, assuming it has one. He takes note of how many bridges this island seems to have, and in what directions.

He waits underneath the second bridge until sunrise is close, and then he crawls out along it, towards the gap.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 12:11 PM
The people of the island gather around three different campfires. You hear low melodic chants, possibly prayers. After a couple of hours, the people disperse and the fires go out.

As you take a brief survey of the island, circumferencing the beach, you note, behind the large stone building, a smaller wooden one. The gardens go all around, forming a ring around the main building. There are a total of four bridges, snaking off into the darkness, in all four primary directions.

You are now NW of your original island, and based on that, the half-orc island should be to the south. You reach the head of the southern bridge ... let's see if something happens ... [roll0]

Nothing significant happens. The island seems to be asleep. As planned, you crawl under the bridge, and toward the gap - which begins closing down, as sceduled, just as you reach it. You hear footsteps approaching from both directions.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 12:26 PM
Lets see if this works any better. You lot just keep staring each other down, and don't hear anything but the sliding of stone against stone while you rub the sleep out of your eyes...

As soon as the platform extends about a metre or so out, Keld takes a few quick steps forward, so that he's attached to the platform as it extends out, but likely not visible to those standing guard the other side.

Just before the two platforms meet, Keld clambers across them, already crawling underneath the half-orc side of the bridge even as the bridge merges together.

((Move Silently: [roll0] Hide: [roll1] ))

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 12:27 PM

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 12:31 PM
Listen #1 [roll0]
Listen #2 [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 12:33 PM
Seems like you've been heard ... by the people on the side you're just leaving. There's some worried speech on their side, checking where the noises are coming from, but, since the noise moves in the other direction, they decide not to care. Meh, it was probably the bridge anyway.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 12:39 PM
Phew... no, if anything that's even more obvious, in some ways. I suppose there's just no good way to do it. Always going to be risky. Ah, well. I wonder what Valanis will say when I reappear.

Keld continues onwards down the bridge. Once he gets to the far end, he repeats his usual performance, using the tray to spy on the fort and any guards, and looking for an obvious landing point for new players.

((OOC: By the way, what was the approximate headcount on the praying demon-faces outside the domed building on that island?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 12:46 PM
((the demon face peered at you from the Brotherhood Island side. Those praying by the campfires seem to be normal teen or preteen human(oid)s. there were between dozen and two dozens of them.))

You are now at the south side of the bridge, presumably at the orcish island. Researching it via a mirror reveals a large rock formation at the center of the island, surrounded by smaller rocks all around. The only signs of life you detect are some small birds pecking at thin grass.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 12:53 PM
Birds... so there are animals here. Why don't they have a guard? What if they get attacked on one side, how would they know? Maybe they're weak.

Keeping well away from the birds, not wanting to startle them, Keld darts outwards, taking a brief count of all the bridges connected to this island as he heads to the one leading east, and, hopefully, homeward.

Assuming he manages to get there without incident, he crawls along the underside as he's done with every bridge before now.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:25 PM
There are three bridges to this island - the one you came from, one more going east (hopefully home), and one more north-west.

You scramble toward the east bridge as you see a plume of smoke rise from the central rock formation. If you ignore it and keep going:

As you climb below the bridge, you hear footsteps running above. One or two people(humanoids?) are running toward the island. You wait them out. Near the mid-point, you fail miserably at this, possibly last, attempt to be sneaky, you attract attention from both sides. A half-orc peers down one side of the bridge, and Valanis down the other.

Keld? What are you doing here? Where have you been?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 01:33 PM
"Umm. Hi. That's sort of a long story, I'll tell you later." he says, somewhat sheepishly.

Keld clambers up towards Valanis, and up onto the bridge. He faces away from the half orc side, so they can't see the shield's emblem.

"What's going on? Is Dark Water being attacked? Are we going to help?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:39 PM
Valanis takes you a few steps backwards, out of earshot of the half-orcs. His other pals gaze at you wide-eyed, and so do the half-orcs; both sides almost forgot about each other's existence, oggling the weapon-laden dwarf who came from down under.

Uhm, we're not attacking them. You mean the smoke signal? I don't know what it's for, although might have something to do with one of their guys just running off. Where did you get those weapons? And .... what in the world is this? (points at shield)

Also, 200 XP to Keld for completing this journey.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 01:48 PM
"They didn't have a guard up on the island. Maybe they are being attacked from the island to their northwest..." Keld murmurs.

"I, um. Stole the weapons from the Brotherhood fort. The big shield is their coat of arms, like our crimson shield. But don't get mad! I went back along their west bridge, so they probably think I came from there. If we hide this stuff and you don't put me to guard the north bridge, they'll never be the wiser."

Keld coughs. "Anyway. I think if we go help them, we won't lose anything, and we'd get their good will. What do you want me to do? I can take this stuff back or I can stay here with you."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:53 PM
Help whom? Help the los... Oh my god, I'm becoming Serjan. I mean, help the half-orcs? I don't want to help them. I don't need their good will. If they're attacked, let them deal with it. Hopefully, whoever wins becomes weakened and vulnerable.

But wow, great job getting all this stuff. Yes, I see what you're saying, as long as Brotherhood don't know where you came from, we can play them against their other neighbours.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 02:30 PM
Keld glances over at the half-orcs.

"That's the problem, isn't it? You attack, even if you win you've just got more territory to defend. And prisoners, too, unless you kill them... I'm guessing most kids don't have the stomach for that. After all, the next island might turn around and do the same to you."

He continues to stare at the remaining half-orcs. "There's at least eight islands here. And I think you're right, it's probably more like a dozen or more. We're behind on people, too. So... there's no way to win. Unless... I've got a plan I'd like to run by you, when we get back to Crimson."

He turns and gazes up at Valanis. [COLOR="Gray"]"I was wondering, though. Why do you think you got dropped on Crimson, instead of Crossed Swords, like the other elves?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 02:37 PM
Ok, I'd love to hear your plan once we get as far as possible from those guys. But I still don't understand how helping them will help us.

((ooc: One of them just might have really good ranks in Listen, and in addition good enough ranks in Bluff not to show it. You never know...))

He scratches his head at your other question.

I asked that myself many times. We have mostly humans here. Sometimes a halfling or a dwarf would come along. Among those - he nods to his left - I've never seen anything other than Orcspawns. And Crossed Sword folk as almost all like me. Sometimes half-elves. It's like ... someone out there did this to me on purpose, to taunt me. Did I ever wish to ... He shakes his head angrily. Anyway, I'm just trying to make the best out of this bad situation.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 03:15 PM
"Well. We'll see what we can do for you." Keld says, cryptically.

He leans against the railing, facing the half-orcs, content to wait until something happens or the end of guard duty.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 03:21 PM
A half-orc arrives from the other island. He speaks to his friends angrily in their own tongue. They point at you, and by their gestures, tell him of your coming from under the bridge. His jaw drops slightly and he curses. He joins his friend on watch. The plume of smoke back on the orcish island is soon dispersed by the wind.

If you keep waiting, nothing of interest happens till the end of the watch. Laden with trophies, you and your allies return to Crimson Shield Island in the evening.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 03:27 PM
"I didn't see anyone watching... yet they saw me. That's really strange. How did they do that? You guys had their island once... is there a hidden lookout point or something?"

Keld grunts in annoyance. "They'll be alert for me next time. Well, it was useful while it lasted, I suppose.

Keld walks back with the others. He takes care not to let the half-orcs see the front of the tower shield he stole.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 03:38 PM
Hmm. I've been told about that island. That huge rock, it's trecherous. There are many hidden spots for a lookout or an ambush to hide.

((maybe the DM rolled a spot check for you and it failed? I guess we'll never know...))

And you're back on Crimson Shield Island. Everyone eye you with a mix of suspicion and amazement - they must have thought you died or ran off. When they see the shield and the polearms, you're close to being mobbed. Because, you see, everyone wants a polearm. Especially, the guisarme is very popular with the kids for some reason. Everyone is suddenly your friend.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 03:45 PM
Keld grins. "All right, all right! The halberd's mine. The glaives and the guisarmes can go to whoevers best with them. Has anyone actually used a polearm before, other then me?"

Keld looks back at Valanis. "You know this lot better then me. Which four kids do you think should have them? Should we have people practice with them so we can see?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 03:55 PM
((That would be Halberd, Glaive, Guisarme and Ranseur, btw))

Hmm. I don't think anyone here has any weapon training, except me, Timour and Serjan. But I'm okay with my Longsword and won't trade it for anything else.
It's settled then. I'll take the guisarme. Timour can have the, uhm, glaive. As for the other ranseur, I guess we can take Keld's advice and let them fight over it. Whoever's alive, can...
Serjan, stop being such an ass please.
Ok, you're the boss.

After deliberation, Valanis hands the last remaining polearm to a kid who looks slightly less incompetent than everyone else.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-10, 04:15 PM
Keld smirks at Serjan, and then adopts a sombre expression when Valanis looks in his direction. "Just so long as those lot don't take a guard stint at the north bridge. That might be... awkward. Lend the polearm to someone else if any of you three go up there."

Keld looks over Timor, sizing him up and wondering if he's spoken to him before now.

"Anyway, I've got an idea I wanted to talk about with Valanis in private. You should come too, Serjan. I want to know what you think."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-11, 04:00 PM
Sure, I understand. They'll be quite pissed if they see their weapons in our hands.

Timour is, along with Serjan and Valanis, one of the three biggest and strongest kids. He's quiet and didn't talk much during dinner, didn't show much interest in your arrival, unlike most of the others. You wonder whether it's because he's deeply immersed in his own thoughts, because he's an introvert, or maybe just because he's dumb.

I'm open for new ideas. Come, Serjan, let's talk in my room.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-11, 05:09 PM
Quiet one. Have to watch out for the quiet ones. Maybe should have invited him too, but I don't know which way he'll fall on my plan. I know Serjan will like it. With just the three of us, even if Valanis isn't sure, Serjan will help me pressure him into it before we sell it to the others.

Keld follows the other two to Valanis's room.

"Thank you for hearing me out, Valanis. It's good of you to listen to ideas from a new player."

Keld paces about the room, gesturing with his hands. He's calm, and confidant, and quite emotionless.

"The way I see it, is this. We're behind in numbers. If we take over another island, we'll get their new players too, right? But that's slow. Too slow. And you have to either kill the other team or take them as slaves and waste people guarding them. We could make them fight as conscript soldiers if we were a lot more powerful then them, but we're not. Getting other teams to fight for our team is the only way we can get enough new fighters quickly enough, though."

Keld looks over at Serjan.

"Noone wants to be a loser, and there can only be one winner, so any alliance you do wouldn't last. And there's too much incentive just to dig in and defend, rather then march out and win, because you might die or your friends might die, and nobody wants that. So you need another way to make sure a team is loyal and will fight when you tell 'em."

Keld stares at the door, as if seeing through it and looking out at the girls preparing supper.

"There's an old story about a dwarven king who had many enemies. His nobles and the other clans were plotting against him and just wanting power for themselves, rather then the crown. Some of them wanted him dead and he couldn't be sure who'd try and who wouldn't. He didn't have anyone executed or anything miserable like that. What he did was insist on entertaining some of the neices and nephews of the conspirators, their favored cousins, or their youngest sons or daughters. Had them brought to his own clan halls, and treated them like his own blood. Spoiled them, gave them gifts and told them stories and saw to it they had the best tutors and servants. Always kept them close to his heart. Close by. In case word came that their families were moving to betray him."

Keld pauses for a moment to let that sink in.

"Wouldn't have to be all stick, either. Noone really knows how the game works. Some think they do, but the half-orcs havn't given up, have they? We could unite teams under a single banner. Our banner. And we could have more soldiers then any of the other islands. More reliable then slaves, and better then killing."

He looks over at Valanis.

"We should attack Crossed Swords. I have a plan how we could take them by surprise. We'd probably only need to deal with the one set of bridge guards on our side, and then once we took the fort and whoever they've left there, we'd... explain things to them. If we swarmed in numbers, we wouldn't have to kill anyone. They'd be sore at first, but they'd all be alive, and you could help smooth things over with them, get them working with us, rather then against us."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-11, 11:31 PM
Valanis frowns.
Why Crossed Swords specifically? Are they the only ones you haven't antagonized yet?
Val, he's right, you know. The elves are weak. I know you don't want to, but if we are to win the game, we'll have to deal with them eventually.
Valanis sighs.
And what is it exactly that you intend to explain? Hi, we took your island, help us now or else? Didn't work well last time.
He takes a few steps around the room nervously.
Fine, let's hear this great plan of not killing anyone.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-12, 06:54 AM
"Before, you tried to take the half-orcs as slaves. Now, we're going to offer the elves a chance to be our equals. Or at least, to be their own jailers and guardsmen, because we'll have hostages. They'll fight with us, because they'd lose more to fight against us."

Keld shrugs. "It might not work, if they don't have girls tending house like we do. Or if they decide they don't care what happens to them. Or if they get it into their heads that they can pull a rescue attempt fast enough that we wouldn't have time to slit their throats. But I think we can be nice and just make it work on the threat of violence, rather then actually killing people... by the time they get it together enough to do something about us, they'll realise what we're offering isn't so bad. They'll be on the winning team, for the first time in who knows how long."

Keld and points up in the direction he estimates the lookout tower to be in. "The other islands seem to do the same as us. Dividing their players up on the bridges, have someone in the tower watching so they can signal if one end gets attacked. In... say, a day or two, I can crawl along under the bridge and knock out whoevers in the tower, then we can attack from one end, take our their guards and be in their keep before the rest of them even know. Then we take their girls or housekeepers back to Crimson, and when they come back at night, we tell how it's going to be... politely, but firmly. They won't want to fight at night. And they won't be able to get at the girls until the next morning, anyway. And then we have some of them join with us to attack another island, and do the same again."

He looks up at Valanis.

"Valanis, if we do this right, we'll have them with a handful of bruised guards and an islands worth of bruised egos, but no dead. And that's the best way this could happen. Even if we just left them alone, eventually someone else would come and stomp on them because they're weak. They won't be happy, but they'll see reason. You won't be happy, either, and they'll sense that. You'll be able to be diplomatic about it, be able to promise to speak for them, ensure they're treated fairly. They'll come to like you, trust you, even if they won't like the rest of us."

Keld pauses to let this sink in. "You knew your island would have to face them in combat one day. Surely this way is better then how you imagined it, isn't it?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-12, 09:20 AM
I... I need to think about it.

Can you please think faster, dinner is waiting. And I want to practice my swordsmanship, I mean, guisarmemanship with Timour.

Ok. Ok. We'll do it your way, Keld. We'll try to take them, once you've healed from your wounds.

Great, so it's settled then! I'll go tell everyone!

No, please don't. Yet.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-12, 12:32 PM
Keld's emotionless veneer conceals a sudden surge of sneering contempt for the peace-making, reluctant elf. Bah. The daisy-muncher wants a chance to worry over it and get cold feet, does he? Well, we'll see about that. I won't tell everyone, but I'll see to it that Serjan does.

Keld's shifts his face into sympathetic, and rests a hand on Valanis' arm, reassuringly. "I'm sorry I had to be the one to suggest this. If I thought we could do this with just diplomacy, I wouldn't have. I know this must be hard for you. This will be better for everyone, though: us, and them, once we've won and they've had time to think it over."

He bites his lip, feigning concern.

"I know you want time to get used to the idea, but the earlier we tell the others, the earlier we can start practicing, and the easier the fight will be. The easier the fight is, the less the elves will be hurt. You're our leader, and it's your decision. But maybe you should make an announcement after dinner. Something to think on."

If Valanis dismisses the meeting, Keld will follow Serjan out to practice, keeping an eye out for Migor on the way.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-12, 10:33 PM
I'll think about it. The elf's demeanor is a clear indication the meeting is indeed over.

During dinner (which occurs before practice after all) Migor sits next to you, and while everyone shows great interest in the what, how, where and when of your travels (how much you tell is up to you, whatever you choose to withhold, they won't insist much), the halfling is especially willing to pelt you with questions, even to the point of neglecting his food.

So, how did you climb from under the bridge? Are there, like, handholds or ropes there?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 12:06 PM
Keld raises the Brotherhood tower shield up above his head, for the entire team to admire, as he relates an embellished version of his daring infiltration of their barracks and his battles with the four people inside. He doesn't mention the sweeping girl, or the mixed feelings he had about nearing killing her. In fact, he avoids relating any element that doesn't accentuate his martial prowess or competence. When he mentions being hit with the crossbow bolt, he downplays it as a lucky shot that didn't inconvenience him in the slightest. He mentions he did some scouting of other islands before coming home, but leaves it at that.

"If anyone thinks they can use a shield like this without being more likely to crush their own toes when they drop it, then come see me afterwards. Otherwise, we'll keep it here as a trophy. Soon, we'll have lots more of them to keep it company."

When Migor asks, he winks.

"I could tell you how, but it's a secret method. Can't go around telling it to all my friends, just for nothing. You'd have to trade me a secret for it."

Once the conversation moves on to other things, Keld tries to catch up on the events of the past day and a half that he missed. He also enquires about who normally tends to the wounded new arrivals here, if there are any particular girls who take the role of healer or nurse, beyond just someone designated to keep watch at the bedsides of the sick. He portrays this as a general question, not giving any indication that his shoulder wound is more serious then he's made out and that he wants to seek treatment for it.

((Bluff roll required for any of these porky pies? If so, feel free to roll for me. Also, random question, what build is Migor? Does he look small and light, or relatively thickset for a halfling?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 12:44 PM
No one seems to want the shield. Some try to lift it, but deem it too heavy and unwieldy.

Migor winces. Uhm, what kind of secret? I don't have any secrets, I'm afraid. He manages a slight smile.

The girls, you find out, take the role of nurses. Lejra has some actual healing knowledge and a small supply of medical implements, while the others hold a fetch-me-the-bandaid assisting role.

((Migor is of course very skinny by your standards, possibly a bit on the skinny and light side even for his race))

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 01:14 PM
He's wincing. Damn, pushed too hard. With a guilty concience like that I'm surprised he hasn't been caught before. Damage control, put him at ease-

Keld smiles, and turns away to grab for another slice of bread. "No secrets is a good, dwarven way to live. I was just fooling around- I'll tell you later. Or hells! Even show you." He says, casually, aiming to make the halfling believe both that it was just an innocent joke and that Keld didn't even notice his twitchy reaction to it.

"How much do you weigh, Migor?" he asks, looking around for where Lejra sits and making a note to approach her after the meal.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 01:35 PM
I'd love to see! I weigh ... I dunno, about 20 pounds ... why do you ask?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 01:51 PM
"Twenty pounds. A number four miner's pick and a sack of beast-feed. I thought you looked small, even for a smallfolk." Keld takes a delicate bite of his bread, swallowing quickly as he continues to study Migor. His voice trails off, as if he's thinking out loud.

"I'm strong. I think I could carry you, even with this heavy coat and halberd and a tray, and it wouldn't slow me down. Humans are lanky, but long-bodied. Muscle's stringier, stretched all across. Why, they weigh about as much as dwarves, I think. They're heavier then they look. And they're a funny shape, all wrong for carrying. You're not.

I don't know, I'm just thinking."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 02:06 PM
((ooc: according to MM, a mature halfling weighs about 30-35 pounds. There is no indication of a weight of a halfling kid... 20 pounds seemed about right))

You want to carry me? There? Under the bridge? But ... what if I fall? People who fall into the sea, do you know what happens to them? They're never seen again. Gone forever. I don't know where you get the guts for this, but ... I don't know if I could.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 02:19 PM
((ooc: word. I was hoping you'd assume that kind of calculation :) ))

"I wouldn't make you do anything you really don't want to do, Migor." Keld says, solemnly. "But I'd never let you fall."

Keld scoops yet more food onto his plate, his stomach set on making up for lost meals.

"Anyway. I can show you on the wall outside or our room or something. I didn't know that about the sea though. I know people can go swimming, you told me before of the boy who drowned. How far out do you have to go before its dangerous? And how do you know- do you just suddenly get sucked under if you cross an invisible line? Has anyone ever tried to cross on a boat or a raft?"

((ooc: Being insincere and trying to fake sincerity with the first paragraph, in case it matters. Do I have to declare whenever I lie? Or shall I only bother with that when you request a Bluff roll?))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 02:30 PM
He is excited about the prospect of you showing your abilities to him somewhere safe, where he cannot fall from a height of 200 feet. Much less so, when you mention crossing the sea.

No, you can't sail across the sea. If you do, the Crazy Captain will get you. What? Haven't you heard? He was a kid, like us, on the islands, many years ago. Had this idea to sail to the edge of the world, wherever that may be. Built a huge ship, like a frigate. But he didn't make it. They cursed him. Whoever runs this place. He and his crew are forever cursed to sail around the islands, never reaching his destination. Sometimes, at night, you can see his ship on the water. I saw it once, when lightning struck in a storm. It's a beautiful ship.

Several other kids next to you shudder at Migor's a-bit-too-loud mention of the Crazy Captain. Yeah, they've seen him too.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 02:43 PM
"But say, just ferrying a group under the bridge and to another island, during the day... eh. So, how far do you have to go out before the sea swallows you up?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 02:57 PM
I don't know. There's no rule for that. Or against that. Usually, when people go for a swim, they don't stray too far from the shore. I never tried anything beyond waddling in shallow waters. During the day ... I guess no one every saw the Crazy Captain during day, so it could be safe.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 03:11 PM
"Interesting. Thanks again, Migor. You're a handy fellow to know."

Keld continues to eat and listen to the others chat.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 03:19 PM
After dinner, Timour and Serjan stage a mock fight with their newly aquired polearms on the beach, by the firelight. Other kids pour out of the castle to watch.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 03:26 PM
Keld goes out to watch, wanting to see how the two fight. He moves over to them while they're setting up and murmurs, "Careful. If you're really angry and you really mean it when you hit someone, the weapons turn real for a second. So keep it friendly. We can't afford to lose either of you."

He stands back and prepares to watch them fight, eager to assess their abilities or pick up tips. He keeps half an eye on Migor in case he chooses this moment to wander off.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 03:38 PM
We know that already, Keld. This is not our first time holding these weapons, you know. We usually don't tell new arrivals, because it's the kind of thing they need to discover the hard way. Anyone who can't muster enough anger to fight, usually dies soon enough. But yeah, we'll keep it friendly.

They start sparring, goaded on by a circle of children around them. Even some of the girls are out, cheering, as is Migor. Absent are Rheeta and Valanis.

Both contestants seem almost evenly matched. After a few back-and-forth parrying and dodging, Serjan manages to land a glancing blow. Timour seems to be staggered and goes on the defensive. Just as he seems to be recovering, Serjan, with another lunge, trips him off his feet, and follows up with a poweful attack, burying the blade of his weapon in the sand right next to Timour's head.

Everyone applaud. A clean victory.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-13, 04:59 PM
Keld applauds, and heads back inside. They should practice all the time. I should, too, but I don't want to challenge anyone until my shoulder's better and I'm sure I can win.

He heads back inside, looking for Lejra or Rheeta.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 11:04 PM
Rheeta is nowhere to be seen, but Lejra was right there on the beach watching the fight, and is now heading back in with everyone else.

Hi. Are you looking for me? Is there anything I can help you with?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-14, 11:16 AM
Keld hangs back and lets the others go on in. "They tell me you're our healer. Would you please take a look at my shoulder? The bleeding has mostly stopped but it hurts when I move it." he murmurs to her.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-14, 12:49 PM
Come with me. Lejra takes you to a side room on the ground floor, which seems to serve as an infirmary. Shelves of ointments and improvised bandages line the walls. She tells you to take your coat/armor and shirt off.
Clean penetrating wound. You got lucky there, could have hit a major organ. Here, let me sanitize and bandage it.
As she works on the wound (ouch! that sanitation liquid stung a bit!) she chats with you what's it like on the other islands, and whether you were scared to go alone like this. If you don't cooperate, she doesn't persist.
There you go, all done.

Outside, you find the hall near-empty; most of the population retired for the night.

The following night, you may regain double the normal amount of hit points.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-14, 01:24 PM
Keld chats to her, but doesn't tell her any more then he told the others. "I had to do it. Noone knows anything around here. They think they do, but noone can see the whole picture. I wanted to map all the islands. Learn more about where we are. Find a way out other then fighting everyone and winning... but I think we're going to have to fight a bit before we have what we need to do any of that properly."

He hops down.

"Thank you, Lejra. We're lucky to have you here."

Keld doesn't go to bed immediately. He wanders around, exploring the fort properly, starting with the basement, where he hides the tower shield behind some convenient sacks or barrels. He takes note of what kind of supplies are available here; in particular, he looks for anything like a bunch of netting or a big tarpaulin or canvas, or any spare sheets that could be tied together to be used as such. He also looks for tall, sturdy poles, wondering if the polearms are the most suitable tools readily available.

Actually, maybe I'm just making a clockwork windchime, here. Why not simply build a large sandcastle? A big mound would be enough to cushion the fall of new players, no more of this waiting to nurse them back to health business. Maybe they don't do it because it doesn't work, though. Maybe they just drop them from higher if you try to catch them. Have to ask.

Inventory taken, he wanders outside and around the island, performing a cursory investigation of the trees, running a hand along the smooth stones.

Lime, lime, lime, let there be some honest lime or something I can extract lime from. From lime and sand and water comes cement, and from cement comes walls, and from strong walls comes safety and victory. Even a small wall left on the bridge would make us strong, combined with those pikes.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-15, 11:21 PM
The basement consists of a main space about the size of the great hall above, and there are several doors leading maybe to other rooms. You find a place to stow the shield. There is something that looks like a canvas, but no poles. There are also some fishing supplies, wood planks, nails, and carpentry tools. A few barrels of non-perishable foods are stored here as well.

Outside, do you climb over the wall to get out of the castle for recon or exit through the gate? (the latter requires the gate to be left open, as it only locks from inside)

The forested area, only 200 yards or so in size, when visited at night, is full of life. You hear something that sounds like some kind of nocturnal bird, and also the peter-patter of small feet (rodents? rabbits? something else?). If you choose to enter:

After wondering around for a few minutes, you manage to find a small rainwater lake inside the forest, and some limestone formations surrounding it.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-16, 09:22 AM
Keld clambers over the rear wall of the castle, and ventures into the forest. He nods in satisfaction when he finds the limestone.

Wonder what we could use for mining picks. Or maybe I could just blast it out. I'd need the others to help build a lime kiln. Once we take Crossed Swords, I'll have the elves relieve some of our guards, and use some of the humans to build things like this.

He raises his hand, and experimentally delivers a series of eldritch blasts to one of the small rock formations, wondering if this means of extracting the rock is practical.

This concluded, he wanders the forest for a while, getting used to it's dimensions and strange sounds. Then he returns home, checking to see if the gate is still shut behind him. If it is, he'll climb the wall again and head to his room, checking Migor is there.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-16, 12:04 PM
The cold stone isn't impressed by your attempts to hurl magical energy at it. Its just sits there and absorbs it quietly. A pick, a large hammer, or a similar instrument will be needed.

[[Eldritch blast: 1d6 damage, and 1/2 damage to objects. Stone: hardness 8; even if we assume limestone is softer, it's still not enough]]

After wandering around the forest a bit, and getting used to owls glaring at you with glowing eyes, you return to the castle. The gate is still secured, and upon returning to your room, you find Migor in his bed, but wide awake.

Where were you? I was worried, thought you left for another crazy adventure.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-16, 12:16 PM
"I've had enough adventures for a while. I was just looking around the forest... found limestone. We could make quicklike. I think it would be nice to be able to build things. Walls on the bridges, and such."

Keld yawns, and then takes off his shoes and sits crosslegged on his bed, looking at Migor.

"So, what's new with you? Anything interesting happen while I was gone?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-16, 09:02 PM
Limestone? Walls? That's cool. How do you know anything about building? I wish I knew stuff like that.

What's new? Uhm, let me think. Valanis got mad at Serjan for taunting the orcs constantly. So they changed places - Serjan was assigned to the Brotherhood bridge, where I am usually. And the Brotherhood never talk back, never say a word, so Serjan acts kind of bored and pissed at the same time, but I think it's just because he's afraid of the Brotherhood guys.

And we were worried about you, of course.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-16, 09:21 PM
"That's Serjan. Looks his fear in the face and calls it a loser, to feel brave."

Keld peers out the window from his place on the bed, frowning up at the ring of stars.

"I wanted to be a builder, like my father. He was training me as a mason. But we're all good at different things. I'm sure you're good at things I'm not. What did your father do, Migor? Where do you come from?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-16, 09:31 PM
My folks were farmers ... why am I saying 'were', they should still be there, on the farm. It's just that it seems so far away. Keld, I want to go home so much. I'll do anything to be back home on the farm, with Ma and Pa and my two brothers and my little sister. If they would just let me go home ... It's a nice farm. We grow apples and peaches. There's a pond nearby. And it the winter, Pa and I would go skating on the pond. I wonder if my sister learned to skate by now. I wonder if my brothers still pull on her pigtails.

He's getting a bit misty-eyed at the memories.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-16, 09:37 PM
"I'll see you get home safe, Migor." says Keld, with quiet confidence. "If we have to take over every other island in this place, then we'll do it. I have some ideas how. Do you think there's another way?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 08:33 PM
I don't know... I don't think so... why would there be?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-17, 08:59 PM
Keld shrugs. "I don't know. Depends what they want from us. If they just want to find the most aggressive warriors, then, well... that'll be us, anyway."

Keld nestles down, assuming Migor has no more to say.

"I need to rest. Sleep well, Migor."

After a while, Keld changes his breathing and lies still apart from the odd twitch or sniffle, feigning sleep. He lies awake for a bit, waiting for Migor to leave the room.

If Migor doesn't leave after Keld has been "sleeping" for three quarters of an hour or so, then he'll give up and go to sleep, with an aim to be awake early tomorrow so that he can find out where Migor goes.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 09:37 PM
Some time after you start feigning sleep, Migor slowly gets out of bed and tiptoes quietly in your direction. Very quietly, he whispers, Keld ... Keld, are you awake?

If you respond
Oh. I just wanted to ask that you don't go on any new adventure without letting me know, okay?

If you don't respond
He turns away from you and slowly tiptoes out of the room

SlyJohnny
2010-05-17, 10:56 PM
Keld lies motionless and listens as Migor leaves the room, trying to estimate the direction he's heading in, if he's opening any doors.

After a moment, he rises, stalking after the halfling, relying on his natural darkvision to allow him to navigate quietly. He wonders what lightsources there are outside the room, other then the moonlight seeping through the barred windows. He follows Migor from a distance, preferring to let him get a little ahead and then surmise where he's gone, rather then trail him too closely. Where possible, Keld crawls along the ceiling to reduce his visibility. He finds himself enjoying this game, though he doesn't quite understand why.

If any sound gives him away and causes the halfling to turn, Keld will freeze where he is immediately, relying on the darkness to shield himself from the halfling's gaze.

((I assume rolls are needed, not sure what situational modifiers apply:))
Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 11:29 PM
Migor walks through the dimly lit corridor, and down the stairs to the ground floor. You follow very quietly, and he has never a reason to suspect or turn his head. In the starlight piercing the second-story windows of the great hall, you see him open the basement door and go down the stairs.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-17, 11:38 PM
Keld doesn't follow further yet, but ***** his head above the basement door, all four limbs resting on the wall. He listens at the top of the stairs, trying to hear what Migor is doing down there, or guess what he might be moving around.

(Taking 20 on this check, unless this roll is successful. Listen:) [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-17, 11:40 PM
((I can't say "*****"? Urgh. Keld "turns his head to one side to incline an ear towards the basement", just in case you were wondering.))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 11:41 PM
You hear Migor's steps trailing as he goes down the stairs, and then it goes quiet.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 01:02 AM
Keld slowly crawls downward, upside down, in pursuit of the halfling...

((If needed: Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1] ))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 01:05 AM
DM [roll0]You enter the basement. Migor is nowhere to be seen.... However, a strange shadow in the corner attracts your attention. It's something that wasn't there before, when you went to the basement last time, you believe.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 01:09 AM
Keld stares levelly at it, and silently drums his fingers along the shaft of his halberd before gripping it tight and slowly drawing it. He examines the shadow in the monochrome tones of his darkvision, trying to discern what it is.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 09:58 AM
Looks like a row of bricks in the wall has been shifted slightly - there's now a small gap where there used to be, as far as you remember, nothing but solid wall.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 12:00 PM
Hmmm. Well, if the night I left is anything to go by, he spends the whole night away. So if I follow, I likely won't meet him coming back. I think I've trapped him. What is your secret, little Migor?

Keld wonders if more of the bricks are loose, if he can widen the gap so that he can fit through it comfortably. He pauses mid crouch, and examines his weapons: he wonders if they'll be enough room to jab with a halberd or longsword should the gap turn out to be a tunnel, or if they're too cumbersome and a smaller weapon would serve him better. If that's the case, he'll quickly go back upstairs and fetch a shortsword or short spear, before heading back down and moving the bricks, leaving his halberd in front of the tunnel. Otherwise, he'll advance with the halberd probing the way for him.

Still seeing the world through the crisp, textured tones of shifting grey afforded by dwarven darkvision, he crawls forward into the tunnel, following the halfling.

I can't believe I didn't notice this when I was down here before. My father would be appalled. Maybe if you stay on the surface too long, you lose your stonecunning. Or stop being able to see in the dark. Or... he shudders at this line of thought.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 01:19 PM
Examination reveals the gap to be a secret door, disguised as part of the wall, and left just a tad ajar. If you pry it open, you find a narrow staircase going further down. A dim light shines from downstairs. It seems the tunnel opens into a larger room after twenty feet or so. The tunnel itself it too narrow for a halberd to be efficient, but the room is probably much larger.

DM[roll0]

A low speaking voice is heard from downstairs, very likely Migor's.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 02:03 PM
Keld pauses where he is, listening to the voice and struggling to make out the words. He stands where he is and listens for a while, until he either makes out the words, or determines that it's impossible to do so from where he is.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 02:04 PM
DM[roll0]
You can't quite figure out the spoken words from this distance.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 02:08 PM
Keld waits until the voice picks up again, until the halfling is as deep into his conversation or monologue as he's going to get, and then creeps closer still, trying to make out the words.

((Move Silently, don't know if distracted listener modifier applies: [roll0] ))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 02:19 PM
You advance for about 2/3 of the staircase, to a point from which you can hear much better. Migor speaks in brief sentences, pausing for a few seconds after each one. He must be to the side of the room, since you can hear, but not see him.

[[click on the spoilers for as long as you like. Whenever you feel like taking proactive action, let me know]]

... I don't know how he did it.

He said he can show me. But I was afraid.

Okay, okay, I'll make him show me. I promise.

No plans yet. No change.

They don't tell me anything. Valanis ... the elf, I mean, our leader, didn't say anything.

Okay, I'm sorry. I'll find out. Please don't be mad.

Yes, tomorrow.

The conversation ended - and you hear small footsteps advancing toward you!

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 02:29 PM
(( D: D: I listened 'till the end.))

Keld shifts position, moving onto the ceiling and flattening himself against it. His first instinct is to confront the halfling and extract some answers out of him, but decides it would be better to hide for now. He readies himself to pounce on the halfling if he's detected though.

((Hide: [roll0]))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 02:39 PM
Spot [roll0], because nobody expects a Dwarf on the ceiling...

He walks right under you, and up the stairs.

Interestingly, you didn't specify Keld closes the secret door behind him when he went down. So now Migor is standing in front of a door he could swear wasn't open. Hmm. He shakes his head, muttering stupid, possibly attributing this to his own forgetfulness, and disappears in the "upstairs basement". The door closes behind him.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 02:54 PM
Keld hangs down and drops from the ceiling as soon as the door is half closed, lunging towards it before the halfling can shut it. He turns his (uninjured) shoulder towards the closing aperture and slams into door and halfling both, with as much speed and force as he can build up in the narrow tunnel.

He's already raising his halberd as he bursts free into the cellar, and it falls down towards the halfling like a judges gavel, before turning and sweeping across in a haymaker blow. He tries to channel the cold-blooded calculating part of his brain into the swing, not wanting the weapon to become lethal. He wants the halfling alive, but unconcious or stunned.

To hit: [roll0]
Damage if hit (Nonlethal:) [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 03:32 PM
Oh boy. The halfling did not see it coming. At all. As he's closing the door, you rush up the stairs, thrusting with the blunt end of your polearm. He only has time for a short squeak before it hits him square on the forehead and knocks him out cold.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-18, 03:55 PM
Keld moves speedily. He searches the halfling, patting him down thoroughly and relieving him of his shoes and any other objects he may be carrying. He gathers some fishing net, and trusses the halfling up in it. Nothing fancy or technical, just tangling the netting about him and weaving them over his limbs until the halfling looks like he's been captured by a fairly stupid and dizzy spider. He winds the casting ropes around until he can lift Migor up by them without the whole mess unravelling and causing Migor to fall out. He nods, satisfied, and then slings the halfling over his back, shuts the secret door on his way out, and heads upstairs.

Leaving the extra weapons he picked up behind him in the hall, he wanders out into the night air and clambers over the wall with the halfling in tow. If Migor stirs at any point during this, Keld will bop him on the head until he slips back into unconciousness.

Keld stops momentarily to refresh his casting of Spiderwalk, hissing the foul words and performing the unnatural gestures with an unusually merry air, and then strolls out along the bridge leading to the Crossed Swords island. He stops a good twenty or thirty feet from the gap. He clambers over the railing, the net's casting ropes wrapped firmly about his arm, and crawls underneath the bridge.

He lets the net dangle beneath him, leaving Migor suspended a little ways above the open sea. He hangs upside down, ignoring the pain in his arm from holding the net for so long, and waits patiently until the halfling awakens to the feel of the cool breeze.

((OOC: Let me know if I get interrupted at any point during that tall order. Sorry for posting so many actions at once, just trying to save time :) ))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-19, 10:15 PM
[[You can't find a net. However, there are some old ropes, blankets and clothes. The general concept is doable.]]

The underside of the bridge must be a familiar sight to you by now, but those two hours until Migor regains consciousness put a strain on your patience, as well as your arm. Eventually he comes to. He looks sideways, then down, catching the starlight reflections dancing on the waves, then up, and sees you.

A scream of primal horror fill the air. You never had an idea a halfling could scream so loud - and for such a long time!

SlyJohnny
2010-05-20, 06:59 AM
Keld gives an understanding, reassuring smile. It's a very genuine reassuring smile, completely out of place in the current situation.

"It's fine, let it out. Let it all out. No need to be embarassed, we're more then half mile away from anyone that could hear you. I won't tell the others if you cry."

He waits until the noise has died down a little, for as long as that may take.

"I said I'd show you how I did it, so here we are. It's cool, isn't it? Doing it this way means you won't need to summon the courage to do it tomorrow. Also, I think I might kill two birds with one stone. You've said earlier that people who fall into the water disappear, but I feel like I really need to see it first hand to get any useful clues from that."

Keld lets go of the rope for a fraction of a second, gripping it in both hands once it's dropped straight down for a few feet.

"On the other hand," he says reflectively, "It might be more worthwhile to find out what happens if a person is slowly lowered in, instead of just falling off the bridge. Yes. I think that would be a more efficient use of our time together."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 11:17 AM
The halfling regards you with fear. Had he not been stuck in the improvized harness, he'd be trambling like a leaf right now.
No! Please, don't drop me! I'll do anything! What do you want?

He then fills his lungs with air again for one more attempt to scream HEEEEEEEEEELP! at no one in particular.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 02:17 PM
Keld wrinkles his nose. "Actually, I've changed my mind. If you scream again I'll drown you. You're hurting my ears."

He clears his throat. "Now. Tell me who you were betraying us to, and how you were doing it, and why, and who else is involved. Start talking and I'll stop lowering the rope. Any time you stop talking for longer then one second, I'll start lowering it again. I do hope you have lots to talk to me about, Migor."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 02:24 PM
The halfling starts spewing words faster than a repeating crossbow, taking brief pauses only when it's absolutely necessary to take a breath. OkoklookdontgetmadpleaseIdidntmeananythingbadIjust wantedtogohome... Itsthemyouknowthemwhoeverrunsthisplace ... theyneedsomeinformationonusbecausetherearethingsth eydontknowandtheysaidifIhelpthemtheywillsetmefree ... sorrysorryIjustwantedtogohomepleasedontkillme

Or in other words: Ok, ok, look, don't get mad please; I didn't mean anything bad, I just wanted to go home... It's them, you know, them, whoever runs this place ... they need some information on us because there are things they don't know and they said if I help them they will set me free ... sorry, sorry, I just wanted to go home, please don't kill me

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 02:32 PM
"How did they contact you first? Have they said when you can go home? How do you speak to them?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 02:35 PM
They said, if I help them enough and do a good job they'll let me. I don't know, maybe they're cheating me. Still seemed better odds than conquering all the islands.
I speak to them by putting my hand on a wall in that room downstairs. There's this special portion of the wall, when you put your hand on it, you can hear them and they can hear you.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 02:39 PM
"And you found this slab by accident? How do you know it's really them? What kind of things do they ask of you, what do they want to know?"

Keld stares down at the halfling. "Migor, this is important and you kept it from everyone. They have no reason to make good on their word to you."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 02:53 PM
I found about it ... well, he, my former roommate actually had this job before me. I spotted him going down there and talking to them. But I didn't say anything to anyone because ... well, I didn't know what to do ... And then he was killed in battle. So I went downstairs and asked if they want my help.

I know it's them because ... well, who else could it be? They know a lot about us, and they have all sorts of magics, and they get us food. And this communication portal. I mean, who else could it be? I'm pretty sure I'm not talking to a couple of bored kids on the next island who just happened to have this wonderful talking wall.

They want to know things ... well, they know what happens outdoors during the day, like who goes to guard which bridge, they know, and if there's a battle or a new arrival, they know. But things that happen indoors, or at night, they don't know. So they ask me to tell them. Like, what do we talk about at dinner, who sleeps in which room, who likes whom, who dislikes whom, those things. Even how we arrange the furniture. And they asked me about you, but I told them I don't know how you did ... that.

And I know they have no reason to make good on their promise. It's a longshot. But, I mean, look around. Conquering all the islands, doesn't it seem a much longer shot to you?

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 03:04 PM
Keld moistens his lips. "What do they want? Why can't they watch us at night?" he says, more to himself then the halfling. He glances down again.

"You speak to the wall, yes? With words, they can't read your mind? You must have codes... they must have given you a phrase to speak if you've been found out and are being forced to lie to them. What is it?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 03:05 PM
No. They haven't given me any codes, honest, we just speak, with words. I mean, I speak. They don't really speak. The wall sort of vibrates and I can hear them inside my head.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 03:49 PM
"Well. They're not like the gods, then. There are limits to what they can do. Or they're working against something. That means they can be beaten. Beating them is a safer bet then trusting them to do right by us."

Keld grimaces. He seems almost disappointed.

"I brought you out here because I wanted this for myself. I didn't want the others to interrupt. But if you ever hide anything from me again, I will find out. But I won't drown you. I'll do it all myself, back on the island where all your friends can watch. You'll never see your sister or your father or your little farm again. From now on you'll make reports every night as if nothing's changed, tell them what I say to tell them."

Keld starts to turn around.

"If you can think of anything important you'd forgotten before, now's the time to tell me. You wouldn't want me to find out later, and think that you'd hidden it from me."

He crawls onward. "One other thing. This boy that threw the spear. Did you or your roomate tell on him? Is that the only reason they knew?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 03:54 PM
I'm not hiding anything, I swear! I'll do as you say, honest! And about that boy, I don't know. It actually happened before my time on the island. It's like a story that passes from one generation to another. I don't know who told on him. Although ... they told me to retell this story to all new arrivals and make sure they know it well.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 03:58 PM
"I'm disappointed in you, Migor. I thought we could be friends. You could have told me this." Keld shakes his head ruefully.

"I wish your damn friend had kept a journal."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 04:02 PM
DM only [roll0]
So ... now what? Are you going to pull me back up? Please ... I'm scared.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-21, 04:11 PM
Keld stops crawling long enough to haul Migor up, and free his arms and legs. "Here. Lie on top of my stomach, between me and the bridge, and hold on to me. You'll be fine."

He continues onward. "I'll tell Valanis about you, I think. But only Valanis, for now. I'm surprised he didn't find the secret door himself, if he's been there so long. I thought elves could sense them the same way we sense odd stone."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 11:58 PM
Migor, almost paralized with fear, complies.Please take me back, I'll do whatever you say, I promise.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-24, 12:25 PM
Keld travels back to the island, and leaves Migor standing by the locked gate while he clambers over the wall. Rather then unlocking the gate, he goes inside, and emerges with Migor's bedding and pillow. He opens the gate, drops the sheets and pillows at the boys feet (though he keeps ahold of the halflings shoes), and says "You'll sleep outside tonight. Valanis will likely want a word with you in the morning. Don't try to get back in or wake anyone up, or there will be trouble."

He shuts and securely bars the door, ignoring whatever protestations Migor attempts to make, and heads back inside. He walks down to the cellar, moves into the secret chamber and closing it behind him, and then moves down into the room that Migor was speaking in before.

He walks around the room cautiously, taking it in, turning a speculative eye over every inch of the stonework.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 09:32 PM
When Keld comes back and opens the gate with the halfling's bedding, the halfling is not at the gate.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 01:14 AM
((Awww, crap. That, I wasn't expecting.))

Keld blinks. He looks around, looking for any side of where the halfling has gone, small bare footprints in the sand that would at least indicate a direction that Migor moved off in. "He knows more secrets then just the one I caught him at."

Keld waits by the door in case Migor is hiding and waiting for a chance to get back in, as he looks for footprints and decides what to do.

Maybe he just headed to the forest. Maybe he just wants to hide in there and see what we're going to do with him, before he comes out. Damnation. Now I have to tell Valanis. I was going to let it slide so that noone else learned about the room.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 01:24 AM
Make a Spot check vs. Hide [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 01:27 AM
Or, in other words, you don't find him, he finds you. From behind a small mound of sand, Migor rises to 'greet' you with a rock in his hand, tossing it at your head at close range.

attack [roll0], damage [roll1] + [roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 01:29 AM
How's that for irony? The padded armor he gave you saves you from becoming his victim (your flat footed AC is exactly 11).

Migor reaches for another rock. Initiative [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 01:40 AM
Keld winces, a sharp intake of breath as the rock slams past his vest, and then he grins. It's not a pretty grin. "Remember this part. This moment. Is where it all went wrong for you." he says.

Initiative [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 01:43 AM
Although Keld got lucky with the first rock, he's still flat-footed and can't defend himself properly. Migor doesn't respond to the taunt, and just lines up another throw.

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1] + [roll2]

Lucky bounce, grazed you only a bit, for 2 damage (1d3-1 has a minimum of 1). He retreats a bit, as much as his short legs would allow him to, and is now about 30' away.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 01:58 AM
"Nugghf!"

Keld grits his teeth in pain as the rock bounces off the door and slams in to the side of his head. He raises a hand to the wound instinctively, his fingers coming away covered in blood. Only a graze, but he feels woozy.

He thrusts his bloodied hand towards Migor, malicious energies rushing through him without him even needing to think, as he flings an Eldritch Blast in the halflings direction.

To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

His attack complete, he whirls backwards, pressing his body against the thick door, taking full cover behind it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 08:56 AM
The blast catches the treacherous halfling square in the chest, knocking him off his feet and into the sand. He's down for the count.

300 XP for the entire ordeal.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 11:51 AM
Keld whirls out again and fires another Eldritch Blast at the halfling's prone body. Then he stalks over, plants his foot on his opponents midriff, and spins his halberd around so it's point downwards.

"Goodbye, Migor. Remember this moment." he croons, and then drives the point of the halberd into the boy's heart. ((Full round action, Coup De Grace))

He withdraws the spearpoint, and wipes it off on the halfling's clothes. How odd. He half expected he'd feel the same way now as he did after Dal, or nearly killing the Brotherhood girl, but he just feels a kind of satisfaction that his assailant is dead he's not too badly hurt. Maybe it gets easier with practice, like anything else.

He picks up the halfling's body, being careful not to get his blood on his own work clothes, and heads towards the woods, intent on finding a suitable, secluded site to bury the body.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 11:54 AM
There are enough patches of soft earth in the forest, and you can easily dig a shallow grave with your hands, or Eldritch blasts, if you choose not to get dirt under your fingernails.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 12:03 PM
Keld cuts away the topsoil and turf and then digs a rough grave using his Eldritch Blasts, pleasantly surprised at their utility for digging. He is careful to make it a fairly deep one. He doesn't want scavenging animals giving it away. He uses his halberd to help scoop out the soil.

Having already checked the halfling for posessions earlier, he now checks his clothes for anything useful, wondering if any part of them are padded or otherwise noteworthy or useful. Otherwise, he tosses the halfling's shoes into the grave and fills it up, carefully replacing the topsoil and turf and scattering the rest of the dirt to make the ground look as undisturbed as possible.

He heads back to the fort, kicking sand over the remaining rocks and any bloodstains there may be, making a cursory attempt to cover up evidence of the fight. He heads back inside, and wanders down towards the secret room again, closing the door behind him.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 12:28 PM
A cursory search of the halfling's body reveals that his clothes were also stuffed to resemble a padded armor, and he had a harmonica in his pocket. Strange. You never heard him play it.

Soon, Migor's face disappears beneath clumps of dirt for the last time. Keld removes as much evidence of the fight as he can, and goes back down to through the secret door in the basement.

The room from which Migor was talking is a ten feet stone cell, completely empty save for a wooden chair. There is a section of wall next to the chair that's distictly different from the rest of the rough stone walls. It's smooth, and doesn't seem to be stone at all; maybe some exotic metal.

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 12:33 PM
Keldan stuffs the padded clothing next to the tower shield in the cellar, and keeps the harmonica in his pocket. He makes a mental note to inspect it later. He wonders who made it.

Keld wanders around the room, taking it in, running a hand over the stonework. He examines the chair, wondering if it's one of the ones from the dining hall. Then, he walks over to the strange plate, takes a breath, and places his hand on it.

"Hail. Who am I speaking to?" he says, confidently.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 12:42 PM
[[the chair is of similar make as the ones in the hall]]

You place your hand on the wall and speak. For a while, nothing happens, and you beging to wonder whether it shows something of your wisdom and sanity, that you expect a wall to answer.

And yet, after a minute or so, it does answer. Not with voice, but with rapid vibrations, that coalesce into words in your head.

Who this?

The pronounciation "sounds" strange, like a foreigner trying to master a new language.

[[ooc: Migor is dead, but the Indigo color lives on!]]

SlyJohnny
2010-05-25, 12:45 PM
"Answering a question with a question is rude. I asked you who I am addressing." Keld says.