PDA

View Full Version : Frog-like races

Ralasha
2010-04-26, 08:32 PM
Can someone point out the official one to me, I cannot find it. And perhaps some decently balanced Homebrews? I am attempting to build Glenn.
Previous, and rejected race and racial features can be located on this Character Sheet (http://playrpgonline.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=4520).

Touchy
2010-04-26, 08:39 PM
Slaads, but if memory serves correct, they have to roll for their alignment... every turn.

AslanCross
2010-04-26, 08:39 PM
Bullywug? Not sure what book it's in for 3.5 though.

EDIT: It's in Monsters of Faerun.

DementedFellow
2010-04-26, 08:40 PM
You can create an anthropomorphic frog with the anthropomorphic template. The only bad thing is that they have a moving speed of 10'. That is crippling, in my eyes, unless you have a mount.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-26, 08:43 PM
arn't kuo-tua's frogs?

Zaq
2010-04-26, 08:43 PM
Neraphim (singular Neraph). Planar Handbook. They're awesome.

Touchy
2010-04-26, 08:47 PM
Neraphim (singular Neraph). Planar Handbook. They're awesome.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2

This is the version posted on wizards.

Darrin
2010-04-26, 08:48 PM
Kuo-Toa, MM p. 163.
Grippli, Dragon #324 p. 87.
Bullywug, Monsters of Faerun p. 25.
Maanvaki, Far Corners of the World. Mire and Mud: Monsters of the Wetland (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030822a) online article.

Geiger Counter
2010-04-26, 08:52 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2

This is the version posted on wizards.

Yeah, +2 natural armor, no way that's LA+0.

Ralasha
2010-04-26, 08:58 PM
I believe the Grippli is in a book too.
One of the MMs... I think.
Kua-Toa are fish people.

Think I'll Boil down the Neraph, and use them. Remove 1 Nat AC, Dark Vision, Weapon Familiarity, grant Weapon Familiarity: Bolas, and Nets. +2 Bonus on Swim and Jump. Green skin. Drop the Camo.

And you basicaly get the race I was using in the first place. -.- nvm. I want a small sized race, with no land speed reduction for armor gorramut! And base speed 30. Amphibious!

I know it exists, but demented wouldn't allow the mellowed version of it. -.- it wouldn't even count as LA +1, but it's on there.

And where is the Anthropomorphic Template? Also, that wouldn't change its size, or even it's LA, which would be negative. It would have to be increased to at least small in order to level the LA out.

Grippli
(Monstrous
Humanoids)
(DR324 p87)
+2 Dex
–2 Str
Ranger
• Small Size
• 20’ Movement
• 20’ Climb Speed
• Low-Light Vision
• Weapon Familiarity – Bolas & Nets are
considered Martial Weapons.
• +2 Racial bonus on saves vs. Poison.
• Humanoid (grippli)
• +1 Racial bonus on attacks vs. Vermin.
• +4 Dodge bonus to AC vs. Animals and Vermin.
• +4 Racial bonus on Climb & Jump checks. All
Jumps are treated as having a ‘running start’.
• +2 Racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
• Illiterate – all classes must spend 1 skill point to
read/write one of their languages.

Not bad... but I'll have to take a hit to strength... and to Con... and Speed, or HP for the trait... Not to mention that damned Skill Point for Literacy.

Asbestos
2010-04-26, 09:05 PM
arn't kuo-tua's frogs?
Kuo-toa's are Deep Ones.

The Anthro template is in Savage Species I believe.

DementedFellow
2010-04-26, 09:11 PM
Anthropomorphic Template is in Savage Species. Very back of the book. AFB now, but I don't believe there is LA attached to the frog. It lists different species. The movement was the only impairment I can remember at the moment.

Ralasha
2010-04-26, 09:15 PM
Aside from size?

Repost:
Grippli
(frog-like
humanoids)
(DR324 p87)
+2 Dex
–2 Str
Ranger • Small Size
• 20’ Movement
• 20’ Climb Speed
• Low-Light Vision
• Weapon Familiarity – Bolas & Nets are
considered Martial Weapons.
• +2 Racial bonus on saves vs. Poison.
• Humanoid (grippli)
• +1 Racial bonus on attacks vs. Vermin.
• +4 Dodge bonus to AC vs. Animals and Vermin.
• +4 Racial bonus on Climb & Jump checks. All
Jumps are treated as having a ‘running start’.
• +2 Racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
• Illiterate – all classes must spend 1 skill point to
read/write one of their languages.

In any case, I assume you all to be reasoning, intelligent people, and as such, please, explain to me how this is not a negative level adjustment:
Toad Small
HD: 1d8
BAB: +0
ECL: 1
Str: –4
Dex: –2
Con: +0
Int: +0
Wis: +6
Cha: –2
Skills: (2 + Int mod) Χ 4
Nat Arm: +0
Size Mod: +1
Favored Class: Cleric
Spd: 5
Now, how is that an ECL 1? I would understand if it were ECL 1/16th, but a commoner could kill it more easily than it could defecate.

Frog (Small)
Dex: +2
Con: +2
Wis: -2
Cha: -2
Type: Monstrous Humanoid
Subtypes: Amphibian, Animal, Aquatic.
Size Modifier: +1
Land: 20, Swim: 20
Low Light Vision
Amphibious (Can breath underwater, or on land.)
+2 Racial Bonus on Jump and Swim Checks.

Does this work for you? It is effectively, a pond Frog version of a Grippli. Rather than a Tree Frog. Pond frogs are generally stronger than a Tree Frog, and less frail. They are also, slightly slower to react to external impulses. And are less appealing, appearance wise. It isn't as powerful as a normal Anthropomorphic Animal in the same ways, but is powerful enough to remain balanced. (Thought it would still loose its ass, where as my Glenn would at least hold his own for a little while).

Zaq
2010-04-26, 09:42 PM
Yeah, +2 natural armor, no way that's LA+0.

Why not? Halflings have an effective +2 to AC compared to humans (which actually applies against touch attacks). Neraphim also don't have too terribly much going for them... basically just Outsider tricks. Neraph Camouflage is good fun, but in no way overpowered. What's so bad about +2 AC?

EagleWiz
2010-04-26, 09:49 PM
Also, there is a type of wizard elf that looks mighty froglike...

Ralasha
2010-04-26, 10:15 PM
Me thinks you are the type of DM that only knows how to handle book stuff? I am trying to make Glenn, you do know who Glenn is, right? Chrono Trigger?

I did not think it was unbalanced, considering the abilities of other races, which have no drawbacks... such as Goliath, with it's mighty +4 strength +2 Con, Powerful Build, High Altitude Acclimated, Mountain Movement, etc.

As I was saying, it is weak enough to not be over-powered, powerful enough to not be underpowered, and balanced enough to be used as a PC. I have attempted. Think I will try to find another campaign for him.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-26, 11:02 PM
Ah ha, here we go! This is a previous entry to one of my monster competitions.

Gridoll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520705&postcount=4)

Even has a bunch of racial feats.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-26, 11:23 PM
Yeah, +2 natural armor, no way that's LA+0.Kobolds gain the equivalent of +3 AC (+1 natural, +1 size, +1 Dex), and they're not at all powerful unless you use supplemental materials.

The real impressive trait they have is that they're outsiders.

hamishspence
2010-04-27, 02:34 AM
Sivs are also froglike and in Monsters of Faerun. They're LE and have monastic tendencies.

Ralasha
2010-04-27, 08:04 PM
You are all missing the mark. -.- I just want something like the grippli without the strength penalty, and with amphibious racial traits.

Eldariel
2010-04-27, 08:05 PM
Why not a Human Polymorph Any Objected/Bestow Cursed by an evil Wizard (your future BBEG) into Anthrofrog? Seems pretty appropriate.

Ralasha
2010-04-27, 08:09 PM
DM said no to my Anthropfrog. Which is think is bloody stupid. and yeah the whole bestow curse thing is actually exactly what I was going for.

Demented is the DM I was going for, trying to find someone a bit more... whats the word... Meh, doesn't matter.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-27, 08:13 PM
You are all missing the mark. -.- I just want something like the grippli without the strength penalty, and with amphibious racial traits.

Grippli don't have amphgibious traits.
They have one ability: Marsh Move (Ex): Grippli suffer no movement penalties for moving in marshes or mud.

So Neraph or Bullywags seem like smartest plan to emulate a frog without str penalty.

Bullywags have no Str penalty (Con bonus), but do have mental penalty.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-28, 02:45 AM
Stick the water racial variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) onto a neraph. You still can't breathe water, but frogs can't breathe water either.

hamishspence
2010-04-28, 02:48 AM
Stick the water racial variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) onto a neraph. You still can't breathe water, but frogs can't breathe water either.

Most frogs can absorb some oxygen from water through the skin:

And one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornean_Flat-headed_Frog

has no lungs at all.

Doodleface
2010-04-28, 02:59 AM
Does a frog fighter remind anyone else of 'Frog' from Chrono Trigger!

Sorry for the useless post.

The_Snark
2010-04-28, 04:42 AM
In any case, I assume you all to be reasoning, intelligent people, and as such, please, explain to me how this is not a negative level adjustment:
[anthropomorphic toad]

I find myself struck with a sudden desire to play a druid.

(I realize the race is spectacularly unhelpful in this case, and for that matter in any case that doesn't involve being a druid. But for druids, wow; high Wisdom, decent Con, and in exchange you take a bunch of physical penalties... which cease to matter once you get wild shape, and until then you have an animal companion to carry you and/or contribute in melee. If it weren't for the anthropomorphic bat in the same table, I'd say it's the perfect druid race.)

Optimystik
2010-04-28, 05:34 AM
Does a frog fighter remind anyone else of 'Frog' from Chrono Trigger!

Sorry for the useless post.

That's what he was going for :smalltongue: "Frog" and "Glenn" are the same person. (Spoiler?)

Anyway, I agree - a Water Neraph seems pretty froggy. Or just fluff him as a toad.

Eldariel
2010-04-28, 11:35 AM
That's what he was going for :smalltongue: "Frog" and "Glenn" are the same person. (Spoiler?)

Not really, given the name "Glenn" has no meaning to the player before he learns of it being Frog and yeah...it's all revealed in the two flashbacks.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-28, 11:39 AM
An Aquatic Grippli (?) or Neraph is your best bet.

Grippli is a small-sized frog-folk from Dragon Magazine

Neraph is a Medium Outsider who is related to Slaad from Planar Handbook

pick one.

hamishspence
2010-04-28, 11:54 AM
As written, it's not clear if Bullywugs can breathe air or not. They are humanoids with the aquatic subtype, and the Amphibious trait isn't listed in their statblock (in either Monsters of Faerun or the Players Guide to Faerun online update) and, as written in the MM, an aquatic humanoid without the Amphibious trait can't breathe air.

That said, this could have been a hangover from 3.0, where there wasn't an Amphibious special quality, and the MM didn't say anything about Aquatic creatures being unable to breathe air.

Sivs are described as being able to breathe air in their description entry, but they aren't listed as having the Amphibious trait, either. And are LA +1.