PDA

View Full Version : Statting out the Music Meister

Crosswinds
2010-04-26, 09:14 PM
So, I was watching some cartoon reruns with my nephew when this guy called "The Music Meister" caught my eyes (and ears). He's a supervillain from some Batman show. Throughout the episode, he displays powers such as forcing others to do his bidding through the power of song and dance.

Being the fan of crazed, over the top villains such as this, I figured "Why not throw him in as a BBEG or something in a campaign?" So, I pose this question to you, oh esteemed Playgrounders:

What is the best way to make a character (or villain) that can mimic Dominate/Charm Person and the like through the use of his voice? I was thinking of starting him off as a bard, but I was wondering what PrC's (if any) could help achieve this goal.

Oh, and did I mention he changes his costumes mid song/mid chase/mid fight? I figure I can rule of cool/funny that in, but if there's a technical way to do it, that would be even better.

EDIT: Also, if you mention a PrC, tell me the book it's in as well so I don't have to scour the group library forever.

tahu88810
2010-04-26, 09:18 PM
Likely simply a changeling bard will do the trick. Maybe add in Master of Masks (or that disguising PrC...Master of Disguise, I think?) for the costume changes.

Crosswinds
2010-04-26, 09:30 PM
Er...and what book is that in?

Also, I've heard about something called "Sublime Chord." What does it do, and would it be worth using?

HunterOfJello
2010-04-26, 09:30 PM
the Changeling Bard build is usually the best for that

there's one version called The Joker that is especially amazing.

HunterOfJello
2010-04-26, 09:32 PM
Races of Eberron

go to the Racial Substitution Levels section to find Changeling Rogue

take Rogue 1 then all Bard levels afterwards

WildPyre
2010-04-26, 09:38 PM
A simple Hat of Disguise will easily explain the costume changes.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-27, 12:27 AM
Go with an Eclipse Caste with the First Performance Excellency, First Presence Excellency, Hypnotic-Tongue Technique, Respect-Commanding Attitude, Phantom-Conjuring Performance, Husband-Seducing Demon Dance, Majestic Radiant Presence, Authority-Radiating Stance, and Worshipful Lackey Aquisition. You'll need to get his Essence up to 4 to be able to take all that, and you might wanna also grab some Ox-Bodies, Dodge Charms, and some Melee or Martial Arts.

absolmorph
2010-04-27, 01:11 AM
Go with an Eclipse Caste with the First Performance Excellency, First Presence Excellency, Hypnotic-Tongue Technique, Respect-Commanding Attitude, Phantom-Conjuring Performance, Husband-Seducing Demon Dance, Majestic Radiant Presence, Authority-Radiating Stance, and Worshipful Lackey Aquisition. You'll need to get his Essence up to 4 to be able to take all that, and you might wanna also grab some Ox-Bodies, Dodge Charms, and some Melee or Martial Arts.
Exalted does this sort of thing so well :smallsmile:

Pluto
2010-04-27, 01:38 AM
A simple Hat of Disguise will easily explain the costume changes.

No Hat.

Awesome Quaver Specs of Disguise

Raging Gene Ray
2010-04-27, 01:53 AM
the Changeling Bard build is usually the best for that

there's one version called The Joker that is especially amazing.

The Joker Bard, the solution to the Batman Wizard.

Sublime Chord is from Complete Arcane. It's a PrC for Bards that has its own spell progression, and lets bards get their high level spells earlier. It also lets them learn Sorceror spells AND bard spells. It might be good for getting the spell Channeled Sonic Blast from Complete Mage (It's a devastating blasting spell that can be cast as a swift action for low damage or charged for 2 rounds to release something like 15d10 damage on everything within 60 feet).

You might consider his spells. Enchantment spells to dominate others and maybe some blasty Sonic spells for the over-the-top flair. Maybe give him Craft Wondrous Item and have him craft some sort of homebrewed Sonic Bomb that brings down all the major buildings and centers of trade/learning/politics/religion in the city while he sings a jaunty tune to taunt the PCs.

And the only reason to go changeling is to pick up the Changeling Rogue racial substitution level...which is still a good reason (give up trapfinding for 2 extra skill points and you can take 10 on all social interaction checks)

You should probably consider Lyric Thamaturge from Complete Mage. You get a feat called Melodic Casting which lets you burn bardic music uses to boost the DCs of your Enchantment and Illusion spells.

Also, you need a brainwashed minion. The Music Meister himself shouldn't get involved, he should have charmed or dominated fighters/warblades...maybe they have a sending stone which lets them get the bonus from his Inspire Courage without him actually being there.

There's that Dervish PrC from Complete Warrior and something called Cloaked Dancer from Complete Scoundrel. Those might be good for his minions.

If you like, you could use the necromancer bard PrC from Libris Mortis called the Dirgesinger. His personality would be a stereotypical depressed emo-kid, and he would be the Music Meister's protege. The MM constantly humiliates and degrades him (ya know, typical minion-evil mastermind relationship) and the Dirgesinger remains loyal because his abuse "fuels the dark miasma in my soul. And when I stare into that miasma, I see a thousand tears of blood...tears that will wash you away...tears that give rise to my own dark spirit...they are my own tears...and they shall rise to left me up to a new dawn...a dawn of night."

If you like that idea, you could probably have the Dirgesinger act as the Meister's disposable decoy to distract the PCs while he escapes sometime before the epic final confrontation.

gorfnab
2010-04-27, 02:06 AM
Er...and what book is that in?

Also, I've heard about something called "Sublime Chord." What does it do, and would it be worth using?

Sublime Chord is in Complete Arcane and is always worth using, usually the first two levels anyways. It gives you 9th level spells over 10 levels, advances bardic music abilities, and can give you a nice caster level boost with Song of Arcane Power.

Edit: Ninja-d

Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2/ Virtuoso (Complete Adventurer) 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8