PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Greater Flesh Fails? Overpowered Shadowcaster?

Scorpions__
2010-04-27, 09:23 AM
How cheesy is it to take Favoured Mystery (Greater Flesh Fails) three times and gain the use of Greater Flesh Fails 3/day and quicken and cast it, and use an orb of shadow to get it off again, possibly with the Reach [Metashadow] feat?

No save, no spell resistance, and it's a shadowcaster (NPC) so it's likely to get surprise. No hope?

Is this too much?

I feel I may have accidentally stepped in cheese.

DM[F]R

Starbuck_II
2010-04-27, 10:00 AM
How cheesy is it to take Favoured Mystery (Greater Flesh Fails) three times and gain the use of Greater Flesh Fails 3/day and quicken and cast it, and use an orb of shadow to get it off again, possibly with the Reach [Metashadow] feat?

No save, no spell resistance, and it's a shadowcaster (NPC) so it's likely to get surprise. No hope?

Is this too much?

I feel I may have accidentally stepped in cheese.

DM[F]R

Shadowcasters can't quicken without quicken Mystery (1/day each time you take it).

Your plan is very feat intensive.
Favored mystery can only be taken once/mystery. So you messed up there.
There is reach metashadow feat, but 1/day (per feat taken).

Scorpions__
2010-04-27, 10:08 AM
Shadowcasters can't quicken without quicken Mystery (1/day each time you take it).

Your plan is very feat intensive.
Favored mystery can only be taken once/mystery. So you messed up there.
There is reach metashadow feat, but 1/day (per feat taken).

I'll have to check about favoured mystery when I'm with my books again, thanks for pointing that out.

The feat-intensive bit isn't much of a problem as the NPC is high-level, so he can have quicken multiple times (not a bad thing either as he can quicken whatever he wants.). Same with Reach Mystery, this also works well with Line of Shadow [Metashadow].

Are you sure about favoured mystery, cause I found this: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/gaming/dnd/howToKillADragonIn1Round18thLevelShadowcaster and it would appear...

DM[F]R

sambo.
2010-04-27, 10:19 AM
Shadowcasters can't quicken without quicken Mystery (1/day each time you take it)
Greater Metashadow Rod of Quicken Mystery?

3/Day quicken any Mystery.

expensive though.

edit: how about using Afraid Of The Dark in a similar vein?

@ lvl 14, that's 1d6+3 Wis damage, Will save for half.
thrown three times as an Su ability, that's potentially 3d6+9 = 6-27 Wis Damage (depending on saves) and without getting into any Meta abuse.

with some half decent rolls, that's gonna bring a lot of nasty things crashing down. maybe not a dragon. but it'll certainly cramp their style.

and at worst, you've seriously dented their Will save.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-27, 10:29 AM
Wait, you are right, it says you can take same mystery the second time. But it does say it only gives 1 extra use.

sambo.
2010-04-27, 10:38 AM
Wait, you are right, it says you can take same mystery the second time. But it does say it only gives 1 extra use.

as i read the feat/mystery descriptions:

Greater Flesh Fails is a Master Path mystery, so it would be cast as a Spell useable 1/day

take Favoured Mystery (Greater Flesh Fails) once: it becomes a Spell Like Ability, useable 1/day.
take Favoured Mystery (Greater Flesh Fails) a second time: it becomes an Su ability, still only useable 1/day.
take Favoured Mystery (Greater Flesh Fails) a third time, it stays an Su ability but you can now throw it 2/day. each additional use of Favoured Mystery (Greater Flesh Fails) gives you one extra use per day of Greater Flesh Fails.

that's VERY feat intensive and i highly doubt it's even possible to get all those feats at the appropriate level (we are talking about an 8th level Mystery after all).

Pluto
2010-04-27, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't call it cheesy. You're talking about a CR 16+ encounter.

Unless you have a group that has unanimously decided to dump Strength, ignore ability damage defenses and ignore SR, the first-round barrage shouldn't be lethal. There should be party members left to finish the fight or to clean up the damage.

AULatBoaPC[?]