PDA

View Full Version : Warden Maiev Shadowsong, Warcraft DnD 3.5

pilvento
2010-04-27, 09:43 AM
I was wondering how would WoW characters be if they were in the D&D pen and Paper world, Im a big fan of all the warcraft series, so i wanted post here for those of you who have actually played the game to give me a hand. How would Maiev Shadowsong (http://www.wowwiki.com/Maiev_Shadowsong) look like on a character sheet, what classes levels and skills would she have in your opinion?
any Backgroud specifics?
anything at all?

why Maiev, well its my favourite character and we are starting a new campaing for 3.5 and the sneaky one is missing so, this could be my chance.

im actually goning to play it so i have to stick to my DM rulez wich is only one : no ToB

Farlion
2010-04-27, 09:51 AM
There's an official WoW Pen and Paper RPG Rulebook. It's somewhat disappointing in the way it is made, but there are some cool ideas in there.
There are alot of WoW spells and abilities in that book which would help alot in creating Maiev Shadowsong. Since it's been quite a while since I looked at the book, I can't really help you from the top of my head.

Cheers,
Farlion

pilvento
2010-04-27, 09:54 AM
yes, i know and unfortunatelly it totally sucks, thats why i want to make the character from scratch using dnd books

Edwin
2010-04-27, 09:56 AM
yes, i know and unfortunatelly it totally sucks, thats why i want to make the character from scratch using dnd books

Suck? How so? I thought the way they did the different classes was rather well executed.

pilvento
2010-04-27, 10:02 AM
Suck? How so? I thought the way they did the different classes was rather well executed.

the PrC are way to weak in comparison to the Complete series PrC, the book is very well adapted, but i cant make my hole team and master to play a warcraft campaing, thats why i want to adapt the character conept to dnd.

Edwin
2010-04-27, 10:09 AM
the PrC are way to weak in comparison to the Complete series PrC, the book is very well adapted, but i cant make my hole team and master to play a warcraft campaing, thats why i want to adapt the character conept to dnd.

I always assumed that anything outside the actual WoW books aren't really meant to be used in conjunction with it. But that's just me, apparently. :smalltongue:

As far as Maiev goes, I'd say either get one of the extremely track-focused classes out there, of which the name eludes me, or simply use some ranger/rogue combo, with maybe a splash of barbarian to give her the ability to rage. Seems appropriate, given how she behaved towards the end.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-27, 10:15 AM
I'd say Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat.

Hawk7915
2010-04-27, 10:16 AM
I think Mystic Ranger X/Horizon Walker 6 is a good base: she'll have track, spellcasting, and at will "Dimension Door" (BLINK!). Mystic Ranger 14/Horizon Walker 6 is a fine build, but you can go for less Mystic Ranger levels (8 is the minimum in my book, since that gives you "4th level spells", your second favored enemy, and Swift Tracker) and use those six spare levels for Swordsage, Rogue, Barbarian, or Justicar (track/bounty-hunter focused class) as you see fit.

pilvento
2010-04-27, 10:21 AM
that last idea was nice, specially for the blink, where can i find the mystic ranger?
I also thought of ninja, but i cant find any way to optimize it

The Glyphstone
2010-04-27, 10:24 AM
Ninja's a very weak class, and it wouldn't fit her anyways - game mechanics aside, night elves don't have innate invisibility, they're just good at hiding.

I'd expand on the above and go with Scout 2/Mystic Ranger 12/Horizon Walker 6, and take the Swift Hunter feat.

(Mystic Ranger is in Dragon Magazine I think, it's a Ranger variant with full spellcasting. Not sure what it loses though.)

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-27, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Maiev Shadowsong
I am the hand of justice, Illidan. Long ago, I swore an oath to keep you chained... and by all the Gods – I shall!

I don't know if this is right power wise, but I'll throw in some Bloodhound.

Definitively Start with ranger I guess.

lsfreak
2010-04-27, 10:57 AM
Get Shadow Pounce in there. DimDoor -> full attack, and while shadow pounce requires you be able to make a melee attack from the place you shadow pounce to, it doesn't explicitly require you to make only melee attacks (see if your DM agrees). Thus, combine with Quick Draw in order to throw daggers/shurikens at nearby enemies when you drop your main target.

I'd say something like:
Ranger3 (Endurance, TWF)
+2 levels
Horizon Walker6 (DimDoor at will)
Crinti Shadow Marauder5 (Shadow Pounce)
Finish off with something with sneak attack progression.
The extra levels before Horizon Walker could be barbarian (for Whirling Frenzy), rogue (sneak attack + Craven), or subbing normal ranger for Mystic Ranger (and finishing Mystic Ranger after Shadow Marauder, rather than sneak attack). Going the sneak attack + Craven route will be more damage.

Another, similar possibility would be
Ranger3 (Endurance, TWF)
Rogue1 (and grab Craven)
Sneak attack fighter1
Horizon Walker6 (DimDoor at will)
Teflammar Shadowlord4 (Shadow Pounce)
Finish off with something with sneak attack progression. Gets you shadow pounce a level earlier, but at the cost of an extra feat, which you probably can't really afford unless you're allowed flaws.

Optimystik
2010-04-27, 11:19 AM
Any way we can work her ultimate in there? That shadow avatar thingy that she summons, unless I'm mistaken (WC3 was a looong time ago.)

Draz74
2010-04-27, 11:34 AM
(Mystic Ranger is in Dragon Magazine I think, it's a Ranger variant with full spellcasting. Not sure what it loses though.)

It's from Dragon Magazine originally, but most people look it up on Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf). It's not full casting, though -- it's a progression similar to that of the Bard.

P.S. I definitely second the Horizon Walker idea.

Optimystik
2010-04-27, 11:43 AM
Now I kind of want to stat out the rest of the heroes... :smallsmile:

pilvento
2010-04-27, 12:58 PM
where can i find the crinti shadow marrauder or theTeflammar Shadowlord. ??
sneak attack would be the best idea for extra damage, specially with craven. but it allways exist the crit inmune bastards.

thanks a lot. more ideas????

how about the equipment, not the whole thing, just her weapon and maibe the bladed cloak

lsfreak
2010-04-27, 02:41 PM
Shadow Marauder is in Shining South, and Shadowlord in Unapproachable East.

For crit immune, if you go 3 levels into rogue, there's a ACF that trades trapsense for the ability to do half sneak attack dice to immune creatures, while flanking. If you want something earlier without delaying progression into Horizon Walker/shadowpouncing, the weapon crystals in MIC.

Zephyros
2010-04-27, 04:28 PM
Before WoW RPG was released (and therefore started being its own game - so no comparisons with D&D 3.5, in WoW RPG for example most Arcanists are exclusively either blasters/ DoTers/wonky summoners) there was the Warcraft D20 RPG which was an Add-on for 3.5.

In the book Alliance&Horde you can find the prestige class Night Elf Warden (also Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor and some other fluffy prcs).

Maiev was statted in one of those books as well, featuring her around the pre-epic territory and equipped with some minor artifacts.

Greenish
2010-04-27, 04:51 PM
Swordsage gets you pretty much anything except the ultimate, but then, you'd probably have to be wizard or something to summon the invulnerable avatar of vengeance to attack your enemies and raise dead to fight for you.

I don't see why she should have Track, she's a jailor, not a huntress.

Her weapon could just be a reskinned scimitar or such. Slashing, one-handed, good criticals…

Akal Saris
2010-04-27, 05:38 PM
Maybe she took Track after Illidan escaped?

I'd second the swordsage idea.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-27, 05:43 PM
A single level of Assassin squeezed in there would give Poison Use, or a level of Avenger instead if you think Maiev's obsession with capturing Illidan hadn't turned her Lawful Evil at some point. Six levels of Horizon Walker for Blink/Dimension Door, Fan of Knives is just a full attack of daggers/shuriken with TWF. I wouldn't bother with trying to imitate the Ultimate Attack, it really didn't feel to me like it fit with her at all, it was just a slapdash Raise Dead/Resurrection combo move.

Runestar
2010-04-27, 05:54 PM
Now I kind of want to stat out the rest of the heroes... :smallsmile:

Why not? Though I am not sure if it counts as threadjacking if we do so in this thread, or if we should start a new thread.

I imagine arthas could be a cleric/marshal/prestige paladin. Mountain King might be a fighter/hammer of moradin (prc from player's guide to faerun). Keeper of the grove is a centaur druid while illidan is a warblade with mageslayer feats?

pilvento
2010-04-28, 10:22 AM
Why not? Though I am not sure if it counts as threadjacking if we do so in this thread, or if we should start a new thread.

I imagine arthas could be a cleric/marshal/prestige paladin. Mountain King might be a fighter/hammer of moradin (prc from player's guide to faerun). Keeper of the grove is a centaur druid while illidan is a warblade with mageslayer feats?

im gonna start a new thread then so we can all share our ideas