PDA

View Full Version : Discworld Luggage 3.5 [PEACH]

Debihuman
2010-04-27, 09:45 AM
Since I'm chock full of April silliness this month, I thought I'd finally finish up the Luggage from Discworld that I had started ages ago.

The Luggage

The luggage is a Large iron bound wooden chest made of sapient pearwood (a magical, intelligent plant that is nearly extinct, impervious to magic and only grows in a few places outside the Agatean Empire, generally on sites of very old magic). It has hundreds of little legs protruding from its underside and can move very fast if the need arises. It can have only one master at a time and usually moves it the speed of its master although it can travel at 60 ft. It walks on hundreds of tiny legs in a swaying motion.

The chest opens and has a content's weight limit of 1,500 lb. and a content's volume limit of 250 cu. ft. The chest can be locked (Open Lock DC 30) and anyone attempting to open the chest without the owner’s permission will be bitten. Its mouth, the feature often remarked upon by those it is about to consume, contains "lots of big square teeth, white as sycamore, and a pulsating tongue, red as mahogany."

The inside area of the luggage contains many conveniences: even when it has just devoured a monster, the next time it opens, the owner will find his underwear, neatly pressed and smelling of lavender.

The function of The Luggage is to act as both a carrier of personal effects and bodyguard for its owner, against whom no threatening motion should be made.

One of the greatest features of The Luggage is its ability to follow its current owner anywhere.

The luggage does not speak but understands a limited amount of Common.

The Luggage
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 12d10+30 (96 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +10 natural), Touch 9, Flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: Bite +15 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (2d6+10)
Space/ Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special attacks: Crush (1d8+7), Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Can't be tripped, Construct traits, damage reduction 5/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision, spell-like ability, stability
Saves: Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con —, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills: Balance +2, Escape Artist +2, Intimidate +5, Jump +9, Listen +6, Move Silently +5*, Tumble +2
Feats: Acrobatic, Agile, Great Fortitude, Improved Overrun, Power Attack
Environment: Any Urban
Organization: Solitary or with Master
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Combat
The luggage will attack with its bite and attempt to overrun targets that are Medium sized or smaller.

Crush (Ex): The luggage deals 1d8+7 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): The luggage is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

An ironwood spell heals the luggage of all of its lost hit points.

A repel wood spell drives the luggage back 60 feet and deals 2d12 points of damage to it.

A wood shape spell slows the luggage (as the slow spell).

A warp wood spell does not actually change the luggage’s structure but negates its damage reduction and immunity to magic for 1 full round.

Spell-like ability (Sp): At Will, the luggage may follow its owner through any dimension as if it were under a greater teleport spell. This only affects the luggage and creatures inside of it. This does not allow it to go to places other than where its owner goes.Once it arrives at its destination, it may wander away from its owner.

Stability (Ex): The luggage gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Swallow Whole (Ex): The luggage can try to swallow a Medium or smaller opponent by making a successful grapple check. A swallowed creature can be automatically bitten each round and can be spat out at as a free action any time. Spat creatures land 1d10 feet from the luggage. The luggage can hold 4 Medium, 16 Small, 64 Tiny or 256 Diminutive or smaller opponents. Furthermore, all attacks made against the luggage from the inside take a -2 penalty to both attack and to damage. Masticated creatures are eventually spat out and may be raised, reincarnated and resurrected normally.

Creatures not spat out by the luggage can attempt to open the luggage with an Open Lock check (DC 30) with a +2 competence bonus for being inside the luggage. Any creature within the luggage that is not being attacked by the creature's bite attack can stay within the luggage quite comfortably. However, the luggage may sulk and refuse to move if anyone tries to get inside without permission of its owner.

Skills: The luggage has a +4 racial bonus to Move Silently due to its many legs.

Construction
The luggage is made from sentient pearwood worth 150,000 gp and requires Craft (woodworking) DC 30 check. Its hardware (hinges, key, and lock) are masterwork quality and quite artistic, adding another 10,000 gp to its cost.

CL 14th; Craft Construct; animate objects, greater teleport, secret chest; Price 420,000 gp; Cost 210,000 gp (includes the cost of the sentient pearwood and masterwork hardware) + 5000 XP

Notes: The luggage has 13 skill points. I put 6 ranks in Intimidate and Listen and 1 rank in Move Silently. Other skills are synergy from feats.

The luggage does not have a gizzard so swallowed opponents do not take any acid damage.

Rincewind's luggage may be homicidal but not all luggage has to have that personality trait. I'm purposefully keeping this creature as close to a generic as possible rather than to make a specific luggage.

Update: I increased the number of creatures the luggage can Swallow Whole based on a variety of compelling suggestions.

Last and hopefully final update: Added Stability.
Added "Can't be tripped" to special abilities (see Behir for example).

Debby

Silverscale
2010-04-27, 10:10 AM
I want Luggage like this. {Commisions a Luggage Construct}

Edwin
2010-04-27, 10:14 AM
This is actually pretty cool. Like, a lot.

I remember something about a similar monster though. Can't remember the name, but it was back in 2e. Basically just a treasure chest, only instead of containing sweet loot, it contained razor-sharp death.

Silverscale
2010-04-27, 10:32 AM
You're thinking of a Mimic. I think they made a reappearance in 3.0 or 3.5. But either way this is cooler, not only does it attack people who aren't supposed to open it, but it stores stuff for the person who is allowed to open it.

Sanguine
2010-04-27, 10:38 AM
Three problems I notice; 1)It's not nearly lethal enough, 2)You make no mention of it's ability to follow it's master across dimensions, 3)How is not Evil I mean seriously okay maybe not all sapient pearwood luggage is evil but Rincewind's sure as hell is.

Edit: Also it should have a higher Int in my opinion. It should definitely be in the Sentient category.

Edwin
2010-04-27, 11:29 AM
You're thinking of a Mimic. I think they made a reappearance in 3.0 or 3.5. But either way this is cooler, not only does it attack people who aren't supposed to open it, but it stores stuff for the person who is allowed to open it.

That's the one! And yes, definitely much cooler.

And, completely irrelevant to this particular topic, why, oh god why would they remake that horrible monster?

Silverscale
2010-04-27, 12:20 PM
And, completely irrelevant to this particular topic, why, oh god why would they remake that horrible monster?
To prevent the automatic response of "OOO look a Treasure Chest! Let's open it!"

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-27, 12:29 PM
I'm thinking of a few comments, but it's a great start.

One, it needs to be able to swallow things larger than itself whole. Absolutely necessary. Where it dumps them, i don't know but i wouldn't be surprised if they climbed out of the Place where the Sun Doesn't Shine.

Two, it was described as being able to rotate compartments at the beginning of interesting times, given that it killed a shark, then deposited a load of coconuts, then the shark...

Three, if this is going to be THE Luggage, it should really be a damaged example; it being cheap, poorly made and the territorial hick of garment conveyance.

Debihuman
2010-04-27, 07:18 PM
Okay, taking suggestions in stride. First, updated the creature to allow it to Swallow Whole and the ability to follow its owner anywhere.

What do you think of its new Swallow Whole ability? Suggestions welcome.

Debby

radmelon
2010-04-27, 09:53 PM
I think it's pretty good. No complaints here, and I like how you made it faithful to the original book (Which I just finished.).

Bhu
2010-04-27, 09:56 PM
Debbi you're choices for homebrew are wicked awesome

ryleah
2010-04-27, 10:12 PM
You should model it's swallow whole ability after the dalmosh's (MM5 if I'm not mistaken) for flavor. After all the thing doesn't always let it's victims back out after they're done, does it?

Debihuman
2010-04-29, 12:25 AM
You should model it's swallow whole ability after the dalmosh's (MM5 if I'm not mistaken) for flavor. After all the thing doesn't always let it's victims back out after they're done, does it?

The thing with the luggage is that isn't alive [I didn't give it the living subtype], so basing its abilities on living creatures is tricky.

How do I give it a gullet when it isn't alive? It's a sentient wooden box with a tongue that can grapple, teeth that can bite, and feet that can run. I'm not sure giving it a "standard" Swallow Whole ability makes a lot of sense for it.

Debby
P.S. see updated creature.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-04-29, 12:43 AM
nice design.
a few minor points to get it closer to the books:

- looks a bit low on the HP and damage reduction could be a bit higher.
- it should get stability against being bullrushed for its many legs and a low center of gravity.

IIRC in "The Last Continent" The Luggage actually holds several persons.

---

a) how does one gain one?
- need to buy it from the maker?

b) how do they become solitary?
- Master killed?

back to a)
is there a way to make a solitary your own?
suggestion: healing it's HP
- if it lost the master, it's probbably safe to assume that the master got killed horribly and the soul is destroeyd (i.e. not on another plain where the luggage would have followed) and the luggage has by then aquired a lot of damage.
so anyone who repairs it becomes the new master.

Atcote
2010-04-29, 06:14 AM
3)How is not Evil I mean seriously okay maybe not all sapient pearwood luggage is evil but Rincewind's sure as hell is.

I agree with you in most respects except this; I can't really see Rincewind as evil. As far as fantasy 'heroes' go, I believe he's Chaotic Neutral. He never goes out of his way to hurt someone (unless they've really, really annoyed him), but he's quite content to have them die.

And I believe, despite everything, he never once pushed Twoflower off a cliff (although, to be fair, Twoflower had the luggage at this time).

The_Snark
2010-04-29, 06:34 AM
I agree with you in most respects except this; I can't really see Rincewind as evil. As far as fantasy 'heroes' go, I believe he's Chaotic Neutral. He never goes out of his way to hurt someone (unless they've really, really annoyed him), but he's quite content to have them die.

I was confused for a minute too, but I'm pretty sure Sanguine was saying "Rincewind's was evil", with Luggage implied after the possessive; "Rincewind's [Luggage] was evil". Rincewind is a hapless Neutral of some flavor, like you said.

One, it needs to be able to swallow things larger than itself whole. Absolutely necessary. Where it dumps them, i don't know but i wouldn't be surprised if they climbed out of the Place where the Sun Doesn't Shine.

What's so bad about Slice?

Atcote
2010-04-29, 06:56 AM
I was confused for a minute too, but I'm pretty sure Sanguine was saying "Rincewind's was evil", with Luggage implied after the possessive; "Rincewind's [Luggage] was evil". Rincewind is a hapless Neutral of some flavor, like you said.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I'd argue against the 'evil' still though... I have a feeling it's either hungry (as hungry as a pretty non-living trunk with various interdimensional pockets inside it) or is taking dog like pleasure in playing. Given its reaction to being 'abandoned' (or lost) in 'Interesting Times', I think it's pretty damn animalistic, but it is made, so maybe it should count as a type of intelligent (3+, but not too smart) construct?

Debihuman
2010-04-29, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've increased the number of creatures the luggage can swallow whole so it can now hold 4 Medium sized creatures, etc.
Good call on giving it Stability for bullrushing as I hadn't even thought of that.

As with any monster, there can always be variations. For example if you wanted smarter luggage, you could add the the awaken construct spell from Savage Species on it during construction. Unfortunately, that particular spell requires a humanoid brain.

As for what happens when its master dies or when it is abandoned, that's really up to the DM. Solitary luggage without a master is a wandering monster. I'm not sure what rules exist for wresting control of a Construct if there are any. However, the creator can voluntarily give control to someone else. I suppose a luggage's master who is about to die can tell the luggage to find someone suitable to obey.

Agri: the rules for making a luggage are in the Construction section. If you have the Craft Construct feat, you can repair damage that a construct has taken. Also, casting ironwood on it heals the luggage.

Debby

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-29, 12:17 PM
As with any monster, there can always be variations. For example if you wanted smarter luggage, you could add the the awaken construct spell from Savage Species on it during construction. Unfortunately, that particular spell requires a humanoid brain.

I wouldn't be surprised if THE Luggage provided more than enough material components for that without effort, meaning the hands of the caster are metaphorically clean, though maybe not his socks...

I was suggesting allowing it to swallow a Large creature because i thought it swallowed the shark, then dumped it. I might be mistaken and it may have only dragged it...

Debihuman
2010-04-29, 01:00 PM
Debbi you're choices for homebrew are wicked awesome

Thank you. I'm flattered that you think so.

I think it's pretty good. No complaints here, and I like how you made it faithful to the original book (Which I just finished.).

Thank you too. Whenever I covert a creature from media (book, tv, movie, etc.), I try to be faithful to the source material but the rules have to make sense or the thing won't be playable.

Debby

Agi Hammerthief
2010-04-29, 03:53 PM
I suppose a luggage's master who is about to die can tell the luggage to find someone suitable to obey.
que?

Pterry was quite clear that it follows it's master EVERYWHERE. This includes the afterlife.

Debihuman
2010-04-29, 06:02 PM
que?

Pterry was quite clear that it follows it's master EVERYWHERE. This includes the afterlife.

It can go to the Outer Planes but dead characters aren't usually PCs. If you play with Ghostwalk, the luggage could probably gain the Incorporeal subtype, but should be getting a Template to do that. It's not standard to the creature. Of course, becoming a ghost isn't standard for a PC either.

Debby

NakedCelt
2010-04-29, 10:15 PM
Surely the interior of the Luggage counts as some kind of demiplane? Or multiple demiplanes, one which contains (and cleans) laundry, one money, one the remains of swallowed enemies, etc.? Rincewind even travelled in the Luggage once -- check Last Continent.

Atticus Bleak
2010-04-29, 11:27 PM
Hah! Funny, I recently gave my party an item called "The Chest" by the party that I based on the luggage. There are rules for a similar device as a Homonculus in MoE with arms that can give you potions and whatnot, so I combined that with a bag of holding and a few other items. It is a very low magic world, with only 2 wizards, a few warlocks, and a handful of clerics. The Chest is not nearly as formidable as the luggage, though. The only time it ever got into combat was when the party blacksmith build a mini-cannon with a flat trigger that it can fire by closing the lid. That was amusing to say the least.

3)How is not Evil I mean seriously okay maybe not all sapient pearwood luggage is evil but Rincewind's sure as hell is.

Actually, the fiction described that most things made of sapient pearwood are at least bitter and slightly hostile, as if they were annoyed to be sapient. The Luggage is itself a special kind of sinister, but most things made of sapient wood are apparently put out that they are intelligent at all and take it out on the world by having a surly disposition.

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-30, 05:45 AM
Any Evil villain with one of these instantly becomes insanely powerful :smalltongue: It's a transport and an escape method and a tank.

But, really, I love it. I've loved it since I first read Colour of Magic and enjoy your recreation.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-30, 10:31 AM
I'm a Discworld fan and I've read almost every book, and I think the luggage is at least cr12.

Debihuman
2010-04-30, 06:13 PM
Even a Huge Shark is only CR 4; the luggage didn't seem to fight monsters that much tougher, unless I'm missing something. CR 12 seems a bit too strong for its abilities.

NakedCelt: The interior of the luggage is simply larger than appears from the outside (like the TARDIS) but it isn't connected to any demiplane. The luggage can only travel where its master goes and whoever is inside goes there too, unless he or she happens to have a spell that can send him or her somewhere else.

Rin Hunter: Teleporting out of the luggage would be no problem at all provided you had the appropriate spell. I would imagine trying to teleport into the luggage would be risky as you'd be bitten once you arrived. The luggage itself doesn't teleport unless its master does.

If you are looking for a tougher version of the Luggage you can add a template to it. For example you could have Awakened Luggage via the Awaken Construct spell. I just statted out a basic version.

Debby

Atcote
2010-05-01, 01:54 AM
Even a Huge Shark is only CR 4; the luggage didn't seem to fight monsters that much tougher, unless I'm missing something.

He did step on a demon/God once...

Probably doesn't count, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

Atticus Bleak
2010-05-04, 11:06 PM
NakedCelt: The interior of the luggage is simply larger than appears from the outside (like the TARDIS) but it isn't connected to any demiplane. The luggage can only travel where its master goes and whoever is inside goes there too, unless he or she happens to have a spell that can send him or her somewhere else.
Debby

I agree that it is not a demiplane per se, it is implied, if not outright speculated by Rincewind, that the Luggage had multiple nigh-infinite compartments. Something akin to a certain Haversack. It is indeed bigger on the inside, as well as having multiple destinations for the lid, much like Howl's Moving Castle, and is intelligent enough to know which compartment its "owner" might need, should it decide to be agreeable. However, this is more of a fluff concern than actual mechanics.

Serpentine
2010-05-05, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure that it should be Large sized. Elsewise, very cool :smallbiggrin: