PDA

View Full Version : White mage? (3.5)

Admiral Squish
2010-04-27, 12:05 PM
So, I was thinking about different characters it would be interesting to make, and the idea of a 'white mage' occurred to me. Virtually no lethally offensive magic, but healing and defensive magic, along with some non-lethal deterrent and debuffing spells. Doing things like making the enemy's sword too heavy to wield, making the enemy fall into uncontrollable laughter, strengthening yourself and your allies...

So, I'd like to know how you would build something like this. Using 3.5 rules, what would you do to make this? What class? What spells would you use?

Telonius
2010-04-27, 12:08 PM
Cleric to Apostle of Peace (BoED). Maybe with some Radiant Servant of Pelor thrown in there.

Honestly, you can probably do it with just a regular Cleric, and choose only defensive spells. Bard could work too.

Kylarra
2010-04-27, 12:08 PM
So, I was thinking about different characters it would be interesting to make, and the idea of a 'white mage' occurred to me. Virtually no lethally offensive magic, but healing and defensive magic, along with some non-lethal deterrent and debuffing spells. Doing things like making the enemy's sword too heavy to wield, making the enemy fall into uncontrollable laughter, strengthening yourself and your allies...

So, I'd like to know how you would build something like this. Using 3.5 rules, what would you do to make this? What class? What spells would you use?Other than the obvious Healer class? Probably cloistered cleric->RSoP and a few other normal cleric PrCs.

ErrantX
2010-04-27, 12:11 PM
Other than the obvious Healer class? Probably cloistered cleric->RSoP and a few other normal cleric PrCs.

2nded. Cloistered Cleric is a white mage. Combat Medic (HoB), RSoP (CD), and many others will help, but overall, a straight up Cloistered Cleric would be a white mage.

-X

JeenLeen
2010-04-27, 12:33 PM
Healer or Cloistered Cleric are probably best, although Healer is rather limited.

If there is a way to get the Healing subschool spells added to a Wizard's list, a wizard who doesn't use offensive magic would work mechanically. You can fluff it as that his training did not cover those types of spells.
I think a wizard would give you the versatility for spells like 'Weight' or 'Touch of Joy' more than cleric, although I might be wrong, and his lack of weapon or armor proficiencies is in line with a white mage. Of course, you could just as easily refluff a cleric as not having those, saying he wasn't trained.
An archivist could work similarly.

I imagine Book of Exalted Deeds would have a number of useful spells.

nedz
2010-04-27, 12:48 PM
You could do this with Bard

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-27, 12:58 PM
For a purist white mage, here's my combo:

Healer/Apostle of Peace/Combat Medic

Agrippa
2010-04-27, 02:29 PM
How about archivest? That could make a decent white mage.