PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge IV

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 12:45 PM
Basically, a challenge to create an optimised, flavourful character, using a "special ingredient" of a particular PrC, different for each contest. You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

1. Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

2. Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

3. Cooking Time: Further to discussions in the previous thread, the secret ingredient will be announced from the get-go. Contestants will have until Thursday 6th May to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, Heliomance. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

4. Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavour for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic point lost in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

5. Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when anonymising the entries!

6. Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

7. Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

Back to the standard fare of Completes, this time. I think this is a thoroughly useless class, and I defy you all to make a good build out of it! Complete Warrior's Stonelord!

Allez optimiser!

Judges:
arguskos
volthawk
Grynning
Private-Prinny
9mm
Olo Demonsbane

Contestants:
Caliphbubba
the_archduke
Bakkan
AtwasAwamps
BooNL
DanReiv
Zemro Shivic
Gralamin
The Vorpal Tribble
FishAreWet
crazedloon
Mushroom Ninja
SaintRidley
Eldonauran
Akal Saris
Strategos
Amphetryon
Hand_of_Vecna
Ingus
ShneekeyTheLost

arguskos
2010-04-27, 12:47 PM
Imma judgin'. Let's see the pain, gentlemen. :smallamused:

Caliphbubba
2010-04-27, 12:58 PM
heh. I'm actually playing a Stonelord in a game.

not very optimized however...but maybe I'll give it a shot.

I've been lurking on your other contests and have been really impressed with everything folks have done, so I'm a little reluctant...but hey you only live once

the_archduke
2010-04-27, 01:03 PM
I think I can come up with an entry

Bakkan
2010-04-27, 01:12 PM
This will be my first optimization challenge, I'm in.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-27, 01:13 PM
I'd like to give this a shot! As an entrant, please!

Volthawk
2010-04-27, 01:18 PM
I'll volunteer to judge.

Grynning
2010-04-27, 01:25 PM
I'm back as a judge. For the really realz this time.
And Stonelord...yeah, I've always kinda liked this class even though I know it's terrible. Also, the first class in the new batch that may actually yield some good-aligned characters (we've had plenty of evil in the last 3).

BooNL
2010-04-27, 01:42 PM
So... stones it is?

Must be something I can do with this. I like dwarves, I like stones.

The PrC however, is very underwhelming. Full BaB and a couple of spell-like abilities spread over 10 levels? I'd rather take levels of fighter than this.

*Sigh*, let's see what we can cook up this time :smallwink:.

As a side note: the only thing that piqued my interest is the fact that it gets Survival as a class skill, surely that must be good for something!

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 01:44 PM
I did warn you!

If you all think it's too bad, then I can change the special ingredient.

DanReiv
2010-04-27, 01:48 PM
It's sounds fun and I might give it a shot if I've enough time.

What about template and races with LA ? (last not being relevant this time but hey, for future reference)

template can be added anytime (when compatible) ? or just at the beginning, or not at all ?

Zemro
2010-04-27, 01:52 PM
After watching the last couple challenges, I think I'll give this one a go.

The class may lack a little lustre, but I think I can come up with something that at least tastes good...

BooNL
2010-04-27, 01:52 PM
Nah, it's all good, I think I can work with this.

Gralamin
2010-04-27, 01:53 PM
Signing up as a contestant.

the humanity
2010-04-27, 01:53 PM
I would very much like it if you did change it.

mortal hunter, wild soul, blood magus, alienist, dread pirate, fochluchan lyrist, ollam, and fortunes friend all sound interesting to me.

;)

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 01:57 PM
I tend to go for the 10-level classes, as they have more meat and can actually serve as the focus of a build. If I change it, I'll go Warchanter, for this one, I think. Who votes to keep with Stonelord, and who votes to change to Warchanter?

arguskos
2010-04-27, 01:59 PM
I tend to go for the 10-level classes, as they have more meat and can actually serve as the focus of a build. If I change it, I'll go Warchanter, for this one, I think. Who votes to keep with Stonelord, and who votes to change to Warchanter?
Stonelord. Do Warchanter next contest, don't change it.

Stonelord has some potential that I'm expecting to see.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-27, 02:04 PM
I can think of a dozen awesome builds flavor-wise... but power is a whole 'nother ballgame.

the humanity
2010-04-27, 02:05 PM
I'd much prefer warchanter, though I can wait, it'll be maybe a few weeks before it happens again.

DanReiv
2010-04-27, 02:06 PM
working on the stonelord, keep it's fun to see what might come out from such a 3rd rate PrC.

What about templates, races and LA in general please (see above), sorry if I'm new to this, but I'd rather not spent time for something against the rules.

Also full WBL ?

Zemro
2010-04-27, 02:06 PM
I've got a better feel for Stonelord, so I'll vote for that.

Gralamin
2010-04-27, 02:08 PM
Keep Stonelord.

BooNL
2010-04-27, 02:17 PM
I've got an idea for Stonelord now. See how far I can go with this train of thought.

FishAreWet
2010-04-27, 02:20 PM
Like Stonelord. With Dragon Magazine was allowed, had a great idea that relies on that... :smallfrown: Oh well, I'll figure something out.

arguskos
2010-04-27, 02:21 PM
Like Stonelord. With Dragon Magazine was allowed, had a great idea that relies on that... :smallfrown: Oh well, I'll figure something out.
Ooh! Ooh! Tell me it! I love builds that rely on Dragon material. :smallbiggrin:

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-27, 02:25 PM
Stick with stonelord, please!

FishAreWet
2010-04-27, 02:27 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Tell me it! I love builds that rely on Dragon material. :smallbiggrin:

Might be able to salvage the concept. You'll find out when the competition is over.

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 02:30 PM
working on the stonelord, keep it's fun to see what might come out from such a 3rd rate PrC.

What about templates, races and LA in general please (see above), sorry if I'm new to this, but I'd rather not spent time for something against the rules.

Also full WBL ?

Full WBL, though you don't need to give a full equipment list. As for templates, inherited go at the beginning, acquired go wherever you picked them up. If you don't have a very good reason why you picked them up, though, you're likely to lose points for elegance. Races with LA are allowed, LA rules are as normal. No buyoff.

Jeff240sx
2010-04-27, 02:30 PM
Wow.. just.. wow.

That's such a terrible PrC. I can't even find the energy to *try* to salvage it.

GL to everyone with more fortitude than I.

crazedloon
2010-04-27, 02:34 PM
I shall also join in on this fun as a chef :smallbiggrin:

FishAreWet
2010-04-27, 02:41 PM
This class is dumb. Even if all of these abilities were at will... it would still be dumb.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-27, 02:52 PM
Hopefully I can get something submitted this time. (curse you exams!)

SaintRidley
2010-04-27, 03:03 PM
I have a fun Stonelord concept floating in mind now, so I say keep it.

We'll see if I have time to work everything together and actually make a submission. I'm seeing my idea as very possible to pull off right now.

We should get the earlier editions of this thread linked in the first post, for ease of perusal for contestants who wish to see good examples.

Eldonauran
2010-04-27, 03:35 PM
*flips through Stonelord* Crap, crap, crap, crap. Oh.. I can work with that. And that, and ... that too.

I ... may have something that might work well. Signing up as a chef.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-27, 04:48 PM
Are there any slots left for judges? If not, I'll enter as a chef.

Pechvarry
2010-04-27, 05:14 PM
It seems like a lot of decent builds could make use of *some* Stonelord but not all of it. I can see a few different ideas that would be interesting with 2-4 levels of Stonelord but much worse with all 10. So even if the build relies on the secret ingredient, it'd still get scored low on "use of secret ingredient".

How unfortunate.

9mm
2010-04-27, 05:19 PM
I'll return as a judge.

lets see if you all can come up with something other than what I'd produce. (sla abuse FTW)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-27, 05:54 PM
It seems like a lot of decent builds could make use of *some* Stonelord but not all of it. I can see a few different ideas that would be interesting with 2-4 levels of Stonelord but much worse with all 10. So even if the build relies on the secret ingredient, it'd still get scored low on "use of secret ingredient".

How unfortunate.
No friggin' kidding.

There is at least one PrC I've run across that does pretty much everything Stonelord does but in half the levels and does it better.

Akal Saris
2010-04-27, 06:06 PM
Damn it 9mm, you ruined my first idea already =P Maybe I'll go for SLA abuse ANYWAYS, just to spite you!

Seriously though, I love how absolutely and completely themed this PrC it is. It's like some developer sat down and thought: "Screw playability! I've got a fever, and the only cure is more stone!"

Screw it, I'm in as a contestant, though it looks like competition is heavy this time around. Like BooNL said: I like dwarves. I like stone. There must be something I can do with this. :smalltongue:

Strategos
2010-04-27, 06:12 PM
I've got an idea or two for this as well, sign me up as a contestant please.

Also, I'll get started on the trophies either tonight or tomorrow.

Amphetryon
2010-04-27, 06:12 PM
If I can squeeze in the time between finals, I'll throw a (lousy) build in.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-27, 06:13 PM
Seriously though, I love how absolutely and completely themed this PrC it is. It's like some developer sat down and thought: "Screw playability! I've got a fever, and the only cure is more stone!"

The extra flavor added by the class opens up some possibility for a great elegance score, but power will suffer almost automatically, and, since everyone is the same race as a class requirement, originality will be hard to keep up. It just seems like it's too flavorful, and you end with only a few types of possible characters.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-04-27, 06:19 PM
We're probably having similar thoughts. I'm also looking at a PrC I've been wanting to make a build with for awhile that puts Stonelord to shame in fewer levels. I've got some decent synergy going but it's a struggle not to completely overshadow stonelord.

The biggest problem with this class is the way it structures the stonepowers. unlike a class like those two classes from BoVD and BoED that you compare your class level+CHA to a table to see which abilities are open or that tattooed monk that gives bonuses based on your class level when you take the ability rather than your totsl class level. So every time you you gain stonepower it's inferior to the last one you got because you already got your first choice, second choice, etc.

Akal Saris
2010-04-27, 06:32 PM
I've got an idea or two for this as well, sign me up as a contestant please.

Also, I'll get started on the trophies either tonight or tomorrow.

Yay trophies!

The extra flavor added by the class opens up some possibility for a great elegance score, but power will suffer almost automatically, and, since everyone is the same race as a class requirement, originality will be hard to keep up. It just seems like it's too flavorful, and you end with only a few types of possible characters.

Yeah, I agree with this. It could turn out a lot with the first challenge, where everyone was a divine crusader, an ur-priest, or a blackguard.

Eldonauran
2010-04-27, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I agree with this. It could turn out a lot with the first challenge, where everyone was a divine crusader, an ur-priest, or a blackguard.

Gawd, I hope not. I'm hoping my idea will turn out pretty unique. My 'Use of special ingredient' score will not be great but I'm hoping to make up for it by keeping the 'flavor' of the Stonelord fresh by using similar ... seasonings.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-04-27, 06:46 PM
I'm willing to sign up as a judge if there is still a slot open for that. Otherwise, I'll just continue to lurk on this thread :smallsmile:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-27, 06:52 PM
I would be willing to stand in as a judge for this contest.

FishAreWet
2010-04-27, 06:54 PM
This is the hardest Iron Chef yet. This class just doesn't do anything :smallfurious:

I worry about originality. There are only so many Dwarf themed earth/case/mountain/rock classes. And they overlap a lot. And this is the worst one.

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 07:35 PM

There's always Stoneblessed...

EDIT: Woah. I've had the first submission already O_o

Private-Prinny
2010-04-27, 07:40 PM

Forgot about that class. And you already have a submission??? How is that possible?

Eldonauran
2010-04-27, 09:38 PM
And you already have a submission??? How is that possible?

My guess was someone got inspired in a big way :smallbiggrin:

BooNL
2010-04-28, 12:53 AM

Seriously, do I have to suffer every Iron Chef thread and get my ideas exposed?

First the Hexblade idea, then the Dread Necromancer, now the Stoneblessed...

:smallsigh:

Screw you guys...

arguskos
2010-04-28, 01:11 AM
Um... BooNL, I really think it was unintentional. :smallredface:

There's not a lot of ideas you could possibly do with Stonelord, someone was gonna bring it up eventually.

BooNL
2010-04-28, 01:13 AM
Um... BooNL, I really think it was unintentional. :smallredface:

There's not a lot of ideas you could possibly do with Stonelord, someone was gonna bring it up eventually.

I know, there's only so many things you can do with the class. I'd at least hoped someone would be smart enough not to mention the class :smallsmile:.

Anyway, I could all be bluffing this and instead build the dwarfiest dwarf evah (note the spelling!)

arguskos
2010-04-28, 01:21 AM
Anyway, I could all be bluffing this and instead build the dorfiest dorf evar (note the spelling!)
Fixed that for you. :smalltongue:

Also, meh, Stoneblessed. I have one dude I want to see people break out though. Not sharing what it is though. :smallamused:

Heliomance
2010-04-28, 03:59 AM
Seriously, do I have to suffer every Iron Chef thread and get my ideas exposed?

First the Hexblade idea, then the Dread Necromancer, now the Stoneblessed...

Screw you guys...

I sowwy :smallfrown:

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-04-28, 10:09 AM
Anyway, I could all be bluffing this and instead build the dwarfiest dwarf evah (note the spelling!)

No way your dwarf will be able to out dwarf my dwarf. You look up dwarf in the dictionary and there's my dwarf staring back at ya.

Seriously though, I understand how you feel but, it's not like stoneblessed is that obscure sure it's in races of stone and it's not shadowcraft mage, but that should be the first place people look. I even thought about using it but decided against it because dwarves need some love. Human's and elves have lots of quality racialy exclusive stuff, gnomes have shadowcraftmage, halflings have ubermount, half-orcs are the best phb race for alot of great builds that don't depend on race, screw half-elves, dwarves need some love; I'm just sorry my contribution won't reach the iconic level of some of the above mentioned items.Vaugue as it was Vorpal Tribble's comment may have people out hunting extra hard for one of my ingredients.

Akal Saris
2010-04-28, 10:29 AM
Hmm...I know how I want to enter Stonelord, and I know how many levels I probably will need - it's where the character will go AFTER Stonelord that is killing me here.

Just to check, are Dragon magazine and dragon compendium still banned for this one as well?

FishAreWet
2010-04-28, 10:33 AM
Magazine is banned, Compendium is not.

Ugg. No human and trying not to use flaws is hard. I think I may be forced to use one.

Ingus
2010-04-28, 11:13 AM
Stonelord is so bad that I'm already enjoying the challenge :smalltongue:

Consider me in for chef (and let's see where it will lead me)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-28, 12:46 PM
Actually, I'm going to withdraw myself as a judge (there seems to be a surplus of those this time 'round), and enter as a contestant. I just had a marvelous concept I'm going to try out. Optimized? No. No build containing ANY levels of Stonelord would be remotely optimized. But definitely interesting.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-28, 04:08 PM
Ok, just to verify, when the build caps at 20 levels is this actually 20 levels of classes, or a CR 20?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-28, 04:23 PM
Ok, just to verify, when the build caps at 20 levels is this actually 20 levels of classes, or a CR 20?

Level Adjustment entries may negatively impact your Elegance sore. Please consult your panel of judges to decide if LA is right for you.

arguskos
2010-04-28, 05:27 PM
It's highly dependent. Ideally, these should be builds that Joe McDM would allow, meaning racial HD are probably not suggested, LA buyoff is not guaranteed (and should not be assumed), etc.

I'd personally prefer to see 18-20 class levels, with maybe 1-2 points of LA from appropriate templates or races, at best. Of course, if you give me a build that thematically and mechanically works, has a high chance to be approved by Joe McDM, and has LA +10, well, ok then, that's fine (and frankly, somewhat impressive).

Heliomance
2010-04-30, 04:08 PM
Suddenly realised I probably ought to update the OP with the list of contestants. There you go.

Prinny - I put you in as a judge. If you want to switch to chef, just say the word.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-30, 05:58 PM
Suddenly realised I probably ought to update the OP with the list of contestants. There you go.

Prinny - I put you in as a judge. If you want to switch to chef, just say the word.

I'll stay on the judging panel, although I have an interesting thought. I'll probably end up seeing a build that thinks along the same lines I am, and do it better.

Stonelords are horrible, but I have no doubt that we will see something interesting.

Gralamin
2010-04-30, 08:42 PM
Still almost a week to submit? I did submit early.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-30, 08:45 PM
Still almost a week to submit? I did submit early.

Then let's hope you set the standard high. If a couple of things work the way I think they do, then I already found one fun little abuse.

Chineselegolas
2010-04-30, 09:53 PM
Another Chef reporting in.
Ideas running through head. And actually writing out the fluff and stuff while I'm creating him unlike last time where I never got around to it.
Hopefully shall come together nicely for an odd build.

And I highly expect to be out dwarfed here though. :smallbiggrin:

Heliomance
2010-05-01, 06:52 AM
And I've received the second entry! My, people are keen this time round aren't they!

the_archduke
2010-05-02, 03:23 PM
I regretfully need to withdraw from this competition as a chef. A combination of optimizer's block and RL time issues. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with though.

Cieyrin
2010-05-02, 03:40 PM

Not entirely true, as there are quite a few dwarven subraces to choose from, including one I personally find especially appropriate for Stonelord. I await to see whether someone utilizes it in a clever way. :smallwink:

Volthawk
2010-05-02, 03:41 PM
Not entirely true, as there are quite a few dwarven subraces to choose from, including one I personally find especially appropriate for Stonelord. I await to see whether someone utilizes it in a clever way. :smallwink:

I think I know which one you're talking about.

BooNL
2010-05-03, 04:20 AM
The cut-off date was thursday, correct? I'm in more time pressure than I had assumed, so I hope I can get my stuff written up before then.

Critical
2010-05-03, 04:37 AM
Signing up as a contestant! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Is it strictly core + completes? Stoneblessed could get some use here. :smallsmile:

EDITEDIT: Also... Full 10 Stonelord levels?..

Heliomance
2010-05-03, 06:31 AM
No, you can use any WotC published 3.5 book. And you don't have to use all 10 levels, but the more you use, the better your score.

Critical
2010-05-03, 06:44 AM
Alright, can I send more than one submission?

Heliomance
2010-05-03, 07:01 AM
O_o
No-one's ever tried that before. A lot of work generally goes into the entries. I'm going to say no, stick with one submission. And I recommend going to find and read the previous challenges, so you know what the competition level is.

SaintRidley
2010-05-03, 07:42 AM
I have my last exam + wrapping things up Thursday. We'll see if I can't get something in.

If not, oh well. I'll have the summer and future challenges.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-03, 04:18 PM
It's a bit late, but I'm in as a contestant: I read something today that meshed with this... interesting menu choice.

FishAreWet
2010-05-03, 04:29 PM
My build is done. Just have to write it up and send it in.

Critical
2010-05-03, 04:45 PM
My build is done. Just have to write it up and send it in.
Same with me.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-03, 05:23 PM
My build is done. Just have to write it up and send it in.Same with me.

Great! I look forward to seeing what you managed to cook up. The last couple of contests only had 5-6 builds for all of the contestants, so this is an ironically good showing.

Ingus
2010-05-04, 07:39 AM
I guess Stonelord wasn't so bad as it appeared :smallsmile:

I'm very curious to see other chef's dishes.

Akal Saris
2010-05-04, 11:52 AM
Ugh, I think Stonelord really was about as bad as it appeared. It took me forever to work out my build, especially since I deliberately tried to avoid the dwarfiest-dwarf-in-dwarfdom gimmick.

I'm actually kind of worried that some of the builds will be similar to mine though. Maybe everyone else knew some super obvious PrC that I didn't know about though...

Ingus
2010-05-04, 12:46 PM
Yes, for sure. The 10 Commoner, 10 Stonelord :smalltongue:

To tell the truth, facing a PrC with no obvious trick to exploit has been a good exercise. I had to work hard to make it playable, but it revealed itself not as bad as I felt at the very beginning. Not to mention he has Tiamat as mount :smallbiggrin:

Akal Saris
2010-05-04, 12:53 PM
Of course! I should have seen the synergy between chicken-infested and earth's blood all along! :smallbiggrin:

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-04, 03:49 PM
Just finished my entry, all I need to do now is add a few author's notes, I think it's pretty damned good. I'm a little worried it may reek of obvious though.

After putting some work into it I don't think it's that bad a class. If someone wanted to play one for flavor I'd just make it an 8 level class removing lvl 1 and lvl 10. I'd probably m activate both as a modify the stone powers that give enhancement bonuses to str by either letting you activate both as a free action and making them typeless bonuses and reducing their duration to 10 minutes or leaving them as enhancement but have them start at +2 and be all day and grow as you level giving you 0 gp level appropriate slotless enhancement bonuses. I'd probably make a feat to get +6 that required BAB 16 and stonecraft 19 since lvl 13 would be too early to hand out 2 +6 enhancment items as class abilities.

Akal Saris
2010-05-04, 04:20 PM
I think making the abilities 1/day/class level like most PrCs in the BoVD would also go a long way towards helping the Stonelord. As it is, the deeper you get into the class, the weaker most of its stone power abilities are. Which is counterintuitive :smallconfused:

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-04, 08:17 PM
So, my entry is in and he's dwarftastic.

I agree at least 2-3 of the best stone power abilities (perhaps after a few have been modified) should be put in one or more upper tiers that have minimum stonelord levels to select them.

I'd say that 1/day per two levels might be more appropriate or maybe variable based on level because unlike alot of classes that grant spell like abilities alot of stonelord's are actually level appropriate.

Stoneskin(stone power)-Wiz4-so you get this at the same level a wizard does. This would be awesome even a bit broken but you have a crap CL. At low levels it's a rather expensive source of temporary hp at higher levels it's pretty decent DR 10/adamantine against 5 attacks within 5 hours of casting is pretty sweet and I'd say qualifies as an exception to fighters can't have nice things.

Hold Person(stone power)-with ground restriction-wiz 5-anyone else notice a proper DC for the offensive stone power abilities. It says their con based but nothing else do I need to look up any I use to get their spell level and use that to figure the DCs? Anyway 2-3 rounds is enough to win a fight so the low caster level doesn't hurt too much.

3.0 Bull's Strengh and Bear's Endurence(stone power)-Not great imo since it's an enhancement bonus and those are too easy to get to use a class ability.

Slow(stone power)-wiz 3-generally inferior to hold monster

Summon Elemental-small-wiz 3-Stonelord 2-character level 7
medium-wiz 5-Stonelord 4-character level 9
large-wiz 6-Stonelord 7-character level 12
huge-wiz 7-Stonelord 10-Cahracter level 15

this ability is at or near level appropriate but with a duration or rounds/stonelord level and the inconvenience of a tank spending a standard action to summon another tank that should should be superior to is a very situational ability.

Stoneshape-wiz 4 clr/druid3-Stonlord3-character level 8-a useful spell for utility or a million possible uses altering a battlefield.

Meld into Stone-Clr/Drd 3-Stonelord 5-Charcter level 10-5 levels after the casters get it, that's lame and a big step down from earlier abilities. Though this is still a useful ability.

Stonetell-Drd 6-Stonelord 7-character level 12-nice level appropriate divination

Earthquake-Clr/Drd 8-Stonelord 9-Character level 14-Wow, getting a decent spell before the casters, well Earth domain clerics get it first but still wow.

So I could see giving more uses of some of these but not all.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-04, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the lack of minimum levels on the Stone Powers just makes the class more and more painful to keep going. Still, with 4 (5?) builds submitted already, with 2 days still left on the clock, this should be a very close competition.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-05, 03:28 PM
I won't be able to participate in this one. My build was probably going to be a carbon-copy of a couple others anyways. It's the only real way to get power output with ten levels of Stonelord.

Amphetryon
2010-05-05, 04:23 PM
I actually got in under the wire on this one. Wow.

Hopefully my idea is, at a minimum, original.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-05, 05:43 PM
I won't be able to participate in this one. My build was probably going to be a carbon-copy of a couple others anyways. It's the only real way to get power output with ten levels of Stonelord.

With the way that Stonelord is, I would only expect 4-6 levels, max.

Heliomance
2010-05-05, 06:46 PM
I've had a couple of entries with all 10 levels, and at least one with 8.

We're into the last day, now! Anyone still working, hurry up!

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-05, 06:47 PM
I don't know sure the even levels practically become dead levels at some point but, 7 and 9 are both decent points to break off.

Akal Saris
2010-05-05, 07:53 PM
The way I see it, 1-6 are pretty terrible, then 7 and 9 have nice things, and 10th boosts the elemental nicely. Besides, it would be lame to go in for 9 levels and then quit the PrC :P

Bakkan
2010-05-05, 08:53 PM
I have to back out as a contestant as well. Final exams and thesis defenses take too much time, as it turns out.

Akal Saris
2010-05-05, 08:57 PM
Blech...don't remind me...I spent too much time on this and not enough on my own final exams :smallfrown:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-06, 12:43 AM
With the way that Stonelord is, I would only expect 4-6 levels, max.

No, it had all 10 levels of Stonelord, with entry at 6th character level... I'll post the general idea after the official builds have been posted.

SaintRidley
2010-05-06, 12:54 AM
Yeah, this one isn't going to happen for me. One more final and moving to work with, and I just don't have time.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:40 AM
Okay, entries are now CLOSED!

You know the drill by now, I'll start posting what I received in just a moment.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:44 AM
Who'da thought mixing hard rock and soul would work so well?

Belrid, One with the Stone
According to Races of stone, Belrid means "First Craftworker/Craft master"

Sources: Complete Warrior, Races of Stone, SRD, Magic of Incarnum, Magic Item Compendium

Backstory
Belrid was a dwarf, through and through. Though his father thought it important to teach him of nature, of the beasts of the stone, and have the nature of stone, Belrid was always one for crafting. When he started adventuring, he felt he finally understood what his father was talking about, and went about harvesting the Stone's might to defeat his foes.

He eventually gained a deep connection with the stone itself, and the spirits that reside in. Asking them for help, he started forging and working stone into powerful weapons and armor. With help from his allies, he forged his equipment from the earth itself, and infused it with the spirits of the earth.

Race: Earth Dwarf (Weaker then normal dwarf, but fits flavor better)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Ability Scores (28 PB): Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 9
Ability Scores (28 PB) after racial: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 7. Focus on increasing Strength.
{table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Prereqs met
1|Totemist 1|+0|+2|+2|+0|Wild empathy, meldshaping, illiteracy (removed by fighter multiclass)|Ability to shape soulmelds, Dwarf, non-evil, Know (Arcana) 2, Speak Language (Terran)
2|Fighter 1|+1|+4|+2|+0|Bonus feat (Endurance)|Endurance
3|Totemist 2|+2|+5|+3|+0|Totem chakra bind(+1 Capacity)|Craft (Stoneworking) 6 ranks.
4|Totemist 3|+3|+5|+3|+1|Totem's Protection|-
5|Totemist 4|+4|+6|+4|+0|-|Craft Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing 8 ranks
6|Totemist 5|+4|+6|+4|+0|Chakra binds (Crown, feet, hands)|-
7|Ironsoul Forgemaster 1|+5|+8|+4|+2|Shield Bond|BAB +5
8|Ironsoul Forgemaster 2|+6|+9|+4|+3|Secrets of the forge|-
9|Ironsoul Forgemaster 3|+7|+9|+5|+3|Forge lore|-
10|Stonelord 1|+8|+11|+5|+3|Earth's blood|-
11|Stonelord 2|+9|+12|+5|+3|Stone Power: Stoneskin|-
12|Stonelord 3|+10|+12|+6|+4|Stone Shape|-
13|Stonelord 4|+11|+13|+6|+4|Stone Power: Earth Power|-
14|Stonelord 5|+12|+13|+6|+4|Meld into stone|-
15|Ironsoul Forgemaster 4|+13|+14|+6|+5|Chakra Bind (arms)|-
16|Ironsoul Forgemaster 5|+13|+14|+6|+5|Armor bond|-
17|Ironsoul Forgemaster 6|+14|+15|+7|+6|Chakra Bind (waist)|-
18|Ironsoul Forgemaster 7|+15|+15|+7|+6|-|-
19|Ironsoul Forgemaster 8|+16|+16|+7|+7|Chakra Bind (Shoulders)|-
20|Ironsoul Forgemaster 9|+16|+16|+8|+7|Weapon bond|-[/table]

Important Feats
Bonus Essentia
Earth Sense
Dwarven Armor Proficiency

Important Possessions
All weapons and armor that Beldrid uses are forged by him.
+3 Animated Anchoring Ghostward Variable Dwarvencraft Steel Tower Shield With a greater Crystal of Arrow deflection (+8 64,515 gp +5000 gp for the crystal. Price listed for the shield is before being halved due to self crafting. More wealth may be spent on the shield)
+3 Ghostward Heavy Fortification Dwarvencraft Mountain Plate of Speed with a greater Crystal of Mind Cloaking (+9 90550 gp + 10,000 gp for the crystal. Price listed for the Armor is before being halved due to self crafting. More wealth may be spent on the armor.)
Restful crystal (500 gp)
+3 Implacable Brutal Surge Ghost touch Transmuting Vanishing Dwarfcraft Dwarven War Axe with a Greater Crystal of Security (+10 208,630 gp + 3,000 gp for the crystal. Price listed for the weapon is before being halved due to self crafting. More wealth may be spent on the weapon)

Important Soulmelds
7 Soulmelds, 13 Essentia, 4 chakra binds. Can place 4 Essentia into anything, up to 5 in a totem chakra.
Shield Bond - Effectivelly a soulmeld, each point of essentia gives resist 5 against acid, cold, electricty, fire and sonic
Armor Bond - Effectivelly a soulmeld, each point of essentia gives damage reduction n/- where n is the amount of essentia. Stacks with other DR X/-.
Weapon Bond - Effectivelly a soulmeld, each point gives a +2n insight bonus to damage (Where n is the amount of essentia). If at least 1 is invested, it also dazes (Fort sve DC 10 +Invested essentia + Con mod) for 1 round on a hit.
Gorgan Mask: Unbound, +1 resistance bonus to saving throws, +2 resistance bonus on any check or saving throw vs bull rushed, tripped, overrun or trampled. +1 to all resistance bonuses listed here per essentia
Girallon Arms: Bound to Totem, shaped on Arms, +2 Comptence bonus on Climb and grapple, +2 per Essentia. Hands have 1d4 damage claws, and two new arms give 2 more 1d4 damage claws. each essentia gives a +1 bonus to attack and damage with claws
Phase Cloak: Bound to Shoulders, +4 competence to Climb, +2 per essentia. Moving at least 5 feet allows you to become etheral during the movement
Wormtail Belt: Bound to waist, provides +2 NA, +1 per essentia
Shendu Crown: Bound to crown. Immune to bull rush and effects of spells that cause a bull rush. +1 competence bonus to saving throws against mind-affecting spells and effects per essentia. 100 ft telepathy.

Flavoring Note:
A lot of the abilities have been reflavored to fit the theme better. Phase Cloak for example, could be shown as him melding into the floor and appearing behind his foe to attack.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:46 AM
How many gnomes would a gnome shanker shank if a gnome shanker could shank gnomes?

Grimshank, The Grim Gnome Shanker*
*Disclaimer: He is a goblin who shanks Gnomes, not a Gnome who shanks things. Who would want to play a gnome anyhow?

{table=head]Class | Str | Dex | Con | Int | Wis | Cha | BAB | Base Fort | Base Ref | Base Will | Feats | Class Features | Skills
Ranger | 10 | 17 | 14 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +1 | 2 | 2 | 0 | Weapon Finesse | Favoured Enemy: Gnome, Track, Wild Empathy | Craft (Stoneworking) 4 Appraise 2 Hide 4 Move Silently 4 Heal 4 Survival 4 Climb 4 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 4
Ranger | 10 | 17 | 14 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +2 | 3 | 3 | 0 | | Combat Style: Two Weapon Fighting | Craft (Stoneworking) 5 Appraise 2 Hide 5 Move Silently 5 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 5 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 1
Stoneblessed | 10 | 17 | 14 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +2 | 5 | 3 | 0 | Endurance | Stone Bond: Dwarf | Craft (Stoneworking) 5 Appraise 2 Hide 6 Move Silently 6 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 1
Stoneblessed | 10 | 18 | 14 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +3 | 6 | 3 | 0 | | Racial Battle Technique: Dwarf | Craft (Stoneworking) 5 Appraise 2 Hide 7 Move Silently 7 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 1
Stoneblessed | 10 | 18 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +4 | 6 | 4 | 1 | | Stone born: Dwarf | Craft (Stoneworking) 5 Appraise 2 Hide 8 Move Silently 8 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 1
Stonedeath Assassin | 10 | 18 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +4 | 6 | 6 | 1 | Dark Stalker | Meld Into Stone, Trapfinding | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 9 Move Silently 9 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 5
Stonedeath Assassin | 10 | 18 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +5 | 6 | 7 | 1 | | Sneak Attack +1d6, Stoneskulk | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 10 Move Silently 10 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 10
Stonedeath Assassin | 10 | 19 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +6/+1 | 7 | 7 | 2 | | Corrupt Stone | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 11 Move Silently 11 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 11 Open Lock 5
Stonedeath Assassin | 10 | 19 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +7/+2 | 7 | 8 | 2 | Improved Two Weapon Fighting | Sneak Attack +2d6 | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 12 Move Silently 12 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 6 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 12 Open Lock 10
Stonedeath Assassin | 10 | 19 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +7/+2 | 7 | 8 | 2 | | Stonedeath Strike | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 13 Move Silently 13 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 19 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +8/+3 | 9 | 8 | 2 | | Earth's Blood | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 14 Move Silently 14 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 20 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +9/+4 | 10 | 8 | 2 | Craven | Stone Power: Earthgrip | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 15 Move Silently 15 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 20 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +10/+5 | 10 | 9 | 3 | | Stone Shape | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 16 Move Silently 16 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 20 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +11/+6/+1 | 11 | 9 | 3 | | Stone Power: Earth Power | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 17 Move Silently 17 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 20 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +12/+7/+2 | 11 | 9 | 3 | Greater Two Weapon Fighting | Meld Into Stone | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 18 Move Silently 18 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 21 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +13/+8/+3 | 12 | 10 | 4 | | Stone Power: Summon Earth Elemental | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 19 Move Silently 19 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 21 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +14/+9/+4 | 12 | 10 | 4 | | Stone Tell | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 20 Move Silently 20 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 21 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +15/+10/+5 | 13 | 10 | 4 | Two Weapon Rend | Stone Power: Stone Skin | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 21 Move Silently 21 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 21 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +16/+11/+6/+1 | 13 | 11 | 5 | | Earthquake | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 22 Move Silently 22 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
Stonelord | 10 | 22 | 16 | 14 | 12 | 10 | +17/+12/+7/+2 | 14 | 11 | 5 | | Stone Power: Earth Shadows | Craft (Stoneworking) 6 Appraise 2 Hide 23 Move Silently 23 Heal 5 Survival 5 Climb 8 Knowledge: Dungeoneering 5 Search 13 Open Lock 13
[/table]

Early Days (Levels 1-5)
A common goblin adventurer, Grimshank oddly ended up working with a group of Dwarves, hunting down their rival technologists and inventors, the Gnomes. Traninng with them, the Dwarves came to accept him as one of them, taking through a ritual of acceptance.

A these early levels, Grimshank plays as a two weapon fighter, though lacking sources of bonus damage. Merely finessing to hit, he does do well against Gnome initially, and at the later stages again his own kind too. Though only wearing light armour, his high dex and medium hit dice give him survivability

The Return Home (Levels 6-10)
After successfully eliminating several gnome cities, Grimshank returns home to his people, training with them as a master of assassination, lurking through the caves, combining his dwaven and goblin training into a masterful amalgamation. Turning the underground networks of the gnomes against them, Grimshank becomes a great terror of the gnome world, sneaking through their tunnels unfound, avoiding the best defences unseen leaving nothing but corpses behind
In the mid levels of play, Grimshank finally gets a source of bonus damage for his two weapons, increasing his damage output. Working with this he gains several hiding based abilities letting him sneak into gnome lairs and watch them work before finishing them off with sudden unexpected strikes.

Assassin of the Stone (Levels 11-20)
As Grimshank approached his later life, he learnt that the caves had a power of their own which could be tapped into by those focused enough, drawing into that which he had be taught in his youth by his dwarven companions. Becoming one with the stone he turned it into the gnomes worst nightmare, driving them out onto the surface world to go outside and face the real world, and maybe even get a tan
And here we finally get to the special ingredient. The powers only sort of mesh with his earlier progress, however some of them are quite useful for uping his damage output - Earth Power, or ensuring he does get sneak attack - Earth Shadows and Summon Earth Elemental. Working in conjuction with his earlier progress, he becomes a very sneaky goblin adapt at killing off single targets.

Build Overview
First we needed to get Stonelord in there, it gives rather weak abilities, though does gain extra damage output and ways to gain flanking. Lets go something assasin-like. And it is Dwarf only, so lets go Goblin for the lols. This mean over into Stoneblessed, upon where I saw Stonedeath Assassin. 18 levels of classes starting with Stone. Oh hell yes. And it is goblinoid only, fits perfectly with the idea of a Goblin sneaky guy. Coming together well.
Right, so now we have a sneaky goblin stone based guy. Penalty to str, bonus to dex. And bonus feat of two weapon fighting. So dual weapon it is, must pick up Craven at some point, which we finally do at level 12. Dark Stalker comes in at level 6, for at that time his assassining and sneaking becomes a much more vital part of his powers, such as Stoneskulk. Underground and Touching stone... This sounds alot like what Stonelord needs. Excellent, so we have where he lives and fights.
Stone power was an interesting ability to pick choices from. To suppliment the other abilites, things which disable the opponent and increase Grimshanks abilities to sneak attack were primary

Weaknesses
Goblin working with Dwarves... Well I'm sure it must happen. We are talking about working together to kill off Gnomes. No one likes them. On a more serious note, he does suffer from a horrendously low Will Save. And equipment aquired would need to boost this, or he would have to kill off enemy spell casters first. Also his damage output is only 2d6+1d4+20 at 20th. Needs to get weapons with elemental enhancements to up that damage.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:48 AM
Two there are only, a master and an apprentice.

Stonelord Bruingar Threehorns, Field Marshall of Deepstone Warden

Deepstone Warden is a large dwarven community. Sitting in a keynode between human surfice

settlements and drow underdark enclaves, linked by a maze of tunnels to the orcish wastelands and

supervising a deep mine have made this place a perfect battlegound. Defending it’s tunnels and it’s

high, natural walls is a difficult task for tough dwarves.

Deepstone militia is well trained and organized. Although most of the fighters are axe or warhammer

wielders, there is a small brigade of battleground controllers.

From the speach of Urin Anvilstone, Field Marshall of Deepstone army, to the year’s recriuts

graduation: “Now your train is over, sons. Always remember you’re part of a bigger army, not a army

by yourself. You few are different, you fight different from your fellows. Your primary task is

battleground control, not slaying enemies. And, please, try to come back home.

This is your first day of battle, sons. Fight well and may father Moradin be with you all.”

1° Dwarf, Fighter 1. Exotic Weapon proficiency (Spiked Chain), Toughness, Power attack (via Shaky

flaw)

Abilities. S 14, D 14, C 16, I 13, W 12, C 6 (Buy points table, 18 points)

In years of neverending battles, only few dwarven really emerges as elite warriors. One of them is

Bruingar Threehorns. A silent, hot tempered and unpleasant dwarf that noone want to have at his side

in tavern, but that anyone stick to in combat. He is famed to like to toy with his enemies alot

before kill them (or let anyone else do it).

Bruingar is said to have literally no life out of battlefields. He’s known to frequently volunteer

for extra work, even at the end of a bitter fight. His face and body are full of scars, barely

covered by his black beard.

Urin Anvilstone, Field Marshall of Deepstone army: “Bruingar, my son, you’ve become very skilled. I

constantly receive good notes about your behaviour on the battlefields. However, my son, I’m

concerned about your private life. I see you always alone: no friends in your table, no clan or

family to come back to. And besides… you’re young, son, which I envy you very much. Isn’t there a

female fit for you? Maybe a hot blonde bearded one?”

Bruingar: “…”

Urin: “I understand. By the way, you are not here for this reason. In these years, you’ve learned

how to place yourself in the middle of the battlefield, bring your enemies down and keep ‘em there,

exploit tactical advantages to harm best your enemies… Well, altough we can teach you more, I

believe that you can profit better of someone else’s advices. Let me introduce you Lord Gleanor

Mithrilcrafter, Master Stonelord of Deepstone.”

Urin Anvilstone: “You have to bow now, son.”

2° Fighter 2, Combat Expertise

3° Fighter 3, Improved Trip

4° Fighter 4, Combat Reflexes (C 17)

5° Fighter, variant, +1d6 sneak attack

Yes, a spiked chain tripper. It’s a very old classic and I believe it needs no further presentation.

Hit easy and hit hard (with power attack) is his task. At now, sneak attack is a good add, but

nothing more (I considered Fighter variant of UA as a different class), but it’s a prereq for what

is about to come.

At fifth level, he can easily afford a full plate or a breast plate (maybe even +1) and some other

minor trick of defence (ring of protection, for example). Having a magic weapon is not his primari

task: combining trip and power attack will grant him a decent damage output even against enemy with

DR (also not so frequent at this level)

Time has passed. Soon after his encounter with the Master Stonelord, Bruingar started to follow him

in the maze of tunnels, coming back every time later. At now, he is rarely seen at Deepstone Warden

when the city is not under siege or peril (not an infrequent situation, throug) and he’s said to

live by the nude rocks with his strange master. Not that anyone is missino him: Bruingar is still as

rude as before, even more quiet and also quite sinister. Voices of his strange powers have spread

among other dwarves and, except in the battlefields, where his skills are unmatched, there isn’t

anyone who whish his company.

Bruingar seems to like it and, except for beer and meat, and his master, of course, he does not seek

anything.

Lord Gleanor Mithrilcrafter: “So Bruingar has finally learned! The earth’s heart is your friend now

and you can invoke it’s blessing whenever you are in need. Invoke the Earth Shadow and i twill help

you hitting your enemies at their backs while you disable them. But be careful: you are not focused

enough to abuse of your power, so use it only when in real need. As far I can see, you learned to

hit where it really hurts too: I do not approve your cowardice, but it seems to be of some use in

combat. /…/ But now, dwarf, you have to learn by your own. I’m old, my time is about to come and

besides there is no much left to teach you. I’m retiring, now you’re all alone.”

6° Stonelord 1 Earth Blood, Vexing Flanker

7° Stonelord 2 Earth Shadows

8° Stonelord 3 Stone Shape (C 18)

9° Stonelord 4 Earth Power, Craven

10° Stonelord 5 Meld Into Stone

One think you can say about stonelord is he’s a battlefield controller. Beginning at second level of

prestige, Bruingar starts to exploit the sinergy between his reach, Vexing Flanker feat and Earth

Shadows. One round for Stonelord level, he can flank having a +4 to hit. If his enemy has not

exceptional AC, he can Power Attack deep; if not, he can hit more frequently.

Don’t forego Stone Shape either. One of the weak points of dwarf is mobility. Shaping the ground in

ways that make it difficult terrain could prove it very useful (as you know, you’re considered

flat-footed when balancing).

Earth power is useful to have an extra boost to damage once in a while (and most other powers

sucks).

Meld into Stone is surprisingly useful to astonish those that use to say “dwarven fighters can’t

ambush”. As you’re melt into stone, you don’t see but you can hear. So your rogue companion can

scream “now!” and some stupid enemy has to face a fighter dwarf with reach, that even does sneak

attack. A Craven tactic, indeed, but you’ve the feat :p

By now, you should have access to magic items that improves your speed. Boots of haste plus some

potions should do the trick. Improve your armor at the best: Mithral fullplate is, by now, your best

option. You can add to this a +1 animated shied, for more fun.

Now look at your will save. It sucks, ain’t it? You have to do something: cloack of resistence, for

instance, or one of many other items.

Also, at now you can afford a magic weapon. 1+ magebane spiked chain is good, cheap and fine.

Lonely tunnels, rocky areas and sometimes underground cities are Bruingar’s world. Going out to

surface is a folly never passed in his mind. Gleanor Mithrilcrafter, Master Stonelord is now dead,

buried under a stony avalanche, as his whishes. Bruingar holds his place, now. Hearing the stone

tunnels speak has given a great amount of lore to him. Lore of combat, of blood and endless wait.

Derepstone Warden is still in his hearth, he keeps defending his homeland. Just in a different way.

Now he travels alot. His power, his technique is not good enough, not for him.

Sometimes he travel dangerously close to drow homeland and spy, via the rocky tunnels he speak with.

Some other times, when really needed, he goes towards open air, where the galleries climb almost to

surface and the air is cold and smelly.

There, the stones talk to him, of how drows and humans fight. And he rest there often,

Urin Anvilstone, Field Marshall of Deepstone army: “I saw you, son… I mean, His Highness. I remember

you as a young dwarf and now you are the havoc of the battlefields. The way your spiked chain

flurries against enemies, the way they suffer your blows, the way you resist blows… Impressive,

impressive. Thank Moradin you came! Now I’m old and our army needs – greeds – an hero. You are our

champion”.

11° Stonelord 6 Stoneskin

12° Stonelord 7 Stone Tell, Weapon Focus (spiked chain) (F 15)

13° Exotic Weapon Master 1 Flurry of Strikes

14° Stonelord 8 Earth Grip

15° Exotic Weapon Master 2 Trip Attack, Robilar’s Gambit

The good news is: your core abilities improves with levels. So Craven helps you wish a +15 to sneak

attacks and you can use Earth Shadows 8 times per day.

Now add Stoneskin to better resist blows, Stone Tell to scout and Earth Grip to hold those foes out

of your reach. That means more battlefield control.

Exotic Weapon Master add some taste: you can forego a +2 to attack but having back an extra attack

(quite a good news if you’re flanking or if your enemy is flat-footed). Also, you are now better in

triping foes and you can provoke AoOs with Robilar’s Gambit.

As gear, you can find much of use. With some coin spare, Retributive Amulet (BoED) is a must have.

If you look at Magic Item Compendium, you can find more than one option, like belt of battle, rogue

vest and Deathstrike bracers (MIC).

The vastity of underworld now is the lair of a legendary dwarven warrior. His legend echoes on the

otherwise silent tunnels and any enemy of dwarven nations fear its presence.

From the speach of Bruingar Threehorns, Master Stonelord, to his pupil: "Rock is your friend. You

can show impressive might when you have such a powerful ally. At today, I can force foes in

difficult terrain - I bring it with me as a pillar of rock - or, if ineffective, make it collapse,

crushing enemies in the process by it's might and mine.Adn don't forget: I can also make the tunnels

shake. Oh no, don't you think it's impossible to you. I was like you not long time ago."
Bruingar Threehorns, to the rocks: "Fun thing is: they keep consider me a hero. My people just see

the good side of me, the side they want to see. My fear, my loneliness, my dark side... that is all

and only yours, my firends."

16° Stonelord 9 Hearthquake (F 16)

17° Stonelord 10 Gravity

18° Warblade 1 Improved initiative

19° Deepstone Sentinel 1 Mountain Fortress stance, passwall

20° Deepstone Sentinel 2 Crushing Mountain Juggernaut

List of maneuvers suggested (Initiator Lvl 8 + Initiator classes)
18° Mountain Hammer, Stone Vise, Wall of Blades, Disarming Strike Roots of the Mountain (stance)
19° Crushing Vise
20° Giant's Stance (stance)

Hearthquake is a satisfactive end to the prestige and let you damage foes and create difficult

terrain in the process. So it is sweet. As completion of a 20 levels build, Deepstone Sentinel.

Mountain fortress stance is too good to forego: it forces enemies around you to make balance checks

if moving. And, as you already know, balancing mean being flat-footed. Add to this some useful Stone

Dragon maneuvers and stances. Bear in mind that Initiator level, as per Tome of Battle, is 1/2 of

other classes + any initiator class.
My dish is over, rather than listing other improvements, look at the final presentation.

Bruingar Threehorns
Dwarf Fighter 4, Fighter alternative (UA), Stonelord 10, Exotic Weapon Master 2, Warblade 1,

Deepstone Sentinel 2
Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)
Hit Dice: 4d10+1d10+10d8+2d10+1d12+2d10+140
Initiative: +7
Speed: 25 ft./20+armor (5 squares)
Armor Class: 31 (+13 armor +2 dex, +6 shield), touch 17, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+26
Attack: +5 Transmuting(MIC) animated chain (MIC) +29 melee (2d4+16, x2)
Full Attack: +5 Transmuting(MIC) animated chain (MIC) +29/24/19/14 melee (2d4+15, x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Atk Options: Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Improved Trip (+35),Sneak attack (2d6+20), Earth

Sadows, Earth Power, Earthgrip (Hold Monster, DC 24), Gravity (Slow, DC 20), Flurry of Strikes,

Robilar's Gambit
Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., Immunity to death spell and effects, Freedom of Movement
Saves: Fort +29, Ref +21, Will +15
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 20, Con 24, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 6
Challenge Rating: 20
Possessions:
+5 Living Chain** (MIC) of transmuting (MIC)
+ Truedead Crystal, Greater (MIC)
+5 Mithryl Fullplate of Agility, Greater (MIC), Ghost Ward (MIC), Quickness (MIC), Fortification,

moderate (DMG)
+4 Large Steel Shield, Animated (DMG), Soulfire (BoED)
+6 Belt of giant's strenght (DMG) *and of Battle (MIC)
Retributive Amulet (MIC) and *+6 Amulet of Health (DMG)
+6 Gloves of Dexterity (DMG)
Boots of Temporal Acceleration (MIC) *and Speed (DMG)
Deathstrike Bracers (MIC)
Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (MIC) *and [goggles] of Draconic Vision (MIC)
Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG)
Ring of Spell Storing (DMG)
Wings of Flying (DMG) *and [cloak] of Resistance +5 (DMG)
Rogue's Vest (MIC)
Alignment: Legal Neutral
Advancement: By character level
Level Adjustment: +0

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:50 AM
Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me,
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!

Old Lob Many-eyes, CN Earth Dwarf Entomanothrope (Were-Snow Spider)
Levels: Spider HD 2/Fighter 6/Stone Lord 10/Level Adjustment 2

"Don't go into the tunnels past bedtime, for there lurks Old Lob" - Traditional Dwarven warning to small children.

Legend:

The old storyteller settled down by the fire, his joints creaking as he watched the assembled children and adults with a fond smile. He only came by once a year, and each time his tales enthralled the children and kept their parents up to date on the happenings outside of the tiny clan.

"Who here has heard of Old Lob?" he inquired mildly, smiling as he saw the looks of anticipation spread across the children's faces. Everyone had heard of Old Lob.

Every race has its boogey-man. For the dwarves, accustomed to a lifetime of living under solid earth, few things are more terrifying than the idea of the earth itself turning against them or hiding foes. As the tales go, Old Lob was a horrific fusion of dwarf and spider: eight eyes, a long, grime-covered beard, four legs, paralytic venom, and the ability to disappear into walls at will. In each story, he hunts young dwarflings who wander too far from their hearth and home, following them until the dwarflings are alone in a dark corridor. Then Old Lob emerges from the floor below.

"He enjoys his meat tender," said the old story-teller with a dark smile. In the stories, Old Lob knocks the dwarflings to and from the walls, disappearing into the stone and waiting for the child to try and return before popping out again and knocking them down, playing with the child like a cat with a mouse. Finally, he paralyzes the child - and here the stories differ, for in some he eats them alive, while in others he transforms them into monsters such as himself.

In this story, however, Old Lob brought the child home, battered and terrified, and always with the same warning to the horrified parents: Don't let younglings play in the dark.

"The end!" says the old story-teller, with a fierce bark, and the younglings around him shrieked in delight. The storyteller paused as the younglings were sent to bed, to shiver and jump whenever the walls seem to shift in the darkness. But the adults remained awake and talked. They talked about the bodies of goblins and drow that appear regularly on standard patrol routes: mangled and poisoned and quite dead. They talked about the other legends of Old Lob, and how he was once a Stonelord of an honorable clan. They talked of the night his daughter disappeared, and how Old Lob went out into the lands of the drow to find her. And they sat, and they wondered - what happened that night, and how much of the dwarf that once was still remained in the monstrous creature that stalked their tunnels?

And Old Lob, he just sat by the fire, content to spin another tale.

Primary books used: Core, Races of Stone, Complete Warrior, Dungeonscape
Secondary: Races of Faerun, Unearthed Arcana, Frostburn, PHB II, MIC

Old Lob Many-eyes, CN Earth Dwarf Entomanothrope (Were-Snow Spider)
Levels: Spider 2/Fighter 6/Stone Lord 10/Level Adjustment 2

Stats: 32 PB (Hybrid form in parenthesis)
Str: 20
Dex: 10 (14)
Con: 18 (20)
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 6
Speed 20ft, 40ft in spider form, Climb speed 40ft

In hybrid form at 20th with a +4 inherent tome for Strength and +6 Belt of Magnificence:
Str: 34
Dex: 20
Con: 26
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha: 12
Speed 20ft, Climb 40ft, Burrow 20ft

Skills at 1st: Knowledge (local) (Rasheman) (to qualify for Jotunbrud, otherwise a human or planetouched feat) 2R (cross-class), then 4R in Craft (Stoneworking), then ranks in other skills. Maybe even Perform (Story-telling) :smallbiggrin:

Feats:
1: Jotunbrud
1B: Spring Attack [Were-Spider]
1B: Weapon Finesse [Were-Spider]
3B: Power Attack [Ftr 1]
3: Endurance
4B: Dungeoncrasher [Ftr 2]
6B: Improved Bull Rush [Ftr 4]
6: Combat Reflexes
8B: Dungeoncrasher II [Ftr 6]
9: Shock Trooper
12: Knockback
15: Robilar's Gambit
18: Overwhelming Assault

Stonelord abilities: Earth's Blood 1/day, Stone Shape 1/day, Meld into Stone 10/day, Stone Tell 1/day, Earthquake 1/day, Stoneskin 1/day, Summon Huge Earth Elemental 1/day, Slow 1/day, Hold Monster 1/day, Earth Shadows 1/day.

Spotlight level: 20th NG Earth Dwarf Entomanothrope Were-Snow Spider 2/Fighter 6/Stone Lord 10/LA 2

What's going on here: Basically, we have a character based around a trap-door spider.

Lob hides in the ground, then leaps out and knocks opponents into the walls before returning into the floor. When I looked at Stonelord, one of the things that caught my attention was that it got Meld into Stone 10/day, while every other ability was 1/day at best. So the next question was: how do I optimize this? And somehow that led me to a were-spider dwarf. Optimization works in mysterious ways.

What's were-spider give you, anyways? It gives Spring Attack and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats. Immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities without being mindless. A 40ft Climb speed and Tremorsense 90ft. Also +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int. Leap special attack: Gain +4 on Charge attacks with a jump, and +20 racial to jump checks. Finally a poisonous bite with 1d4 Dex/paralysis.

How does he work: Lob is a melee tank, skirmisher, and damage character. He's viable at all levels, and really comes into his own at ECL 6, 11, and 14.

At low levels he has spring attack and fights with a reach weapon, preventing opponents from gaining a full attack. At ECL 6 he gains Dungeoncrasher, which means that whenever he bull rushes an opponent into a wall, he deals 4d6+12 or so. At ECL 11 he can also drop his AC in return for PA damage on a charge, allowing him to deal significant damage on an charge attack, and his bull rush damage increases to 8d6+21 (assuming +4 str item at ECL 9). At ECL 14, he has Knockback, which allows him to make a bull rush attempt on every attack, so on a full attack he would make 3 attacks (probably 2d6+18 or so), along with 24d6+81 damage from bull rushing. If opponents hit him back, he uses Robilar's Gambit to knock them away.

That's the basic melee tank strategy. His second fighting style is the more sneaky one. Using Meld into Stone or the burrow speed from his claws graft, he hides in a stone or dirt wall or floor, preferable in a position where he can leap out and bull rush an opponent into a wall. He can also hide above the opponent in the ceiling and bull rush them into the ground, or burst out of the ground and knock opponents into the ceiling. With his ring, he can use Soften Earth and Stone at will, so he can burrow through even solid stone when necessary.

He has 60ft Tremorsense from were-spider, so he knows where his opponents are. Lob then waits a round lurking beneath them to gain the benefits of Overwhelming Assault (+4 to melee attack rolls) and then leaps out, making a single attack with Spring Attack that triggers Knockback and sends the opponents crashing into a wall or each other (knocking each other prone with Shock Trooper), and moving back into the walls or floor. Afterwards he repeats as necessary, bull rushing back foes who attempt to escape from him. With Robilar's Gambit, he also assures that any attempt to ready an attack against him will give Lob free attacks.

Lob and the Stonelord PrC: Power Combos!

1. Meld with Stone or Burrow, and Spring Attack along with Dungeoncrasher. Pretty simple combination, usable 10/day in solid stone or at will in loose earth and stone.

2. Shape Stone and Dungeoncrasher. While hiding in stone, he shapes a wall to bull rush opponents into. Usable 1/day.

3. Shock Trooper, Bull Rush, and Earthquake. Shock Trooper knocks two foes prone, which means that you don't need the weak DC 15 reflex save to knock them prone from Earthquake. Instead you go straight to the more difficult DC 20 reflex save or fall to your death. Since DC 20 Reflex isn't that impressive at ECL 19, this is best as a strategy to use against large forces of weak opponents. In following rounds, Lob can bull rush people right into the goddamn chasms of death.

4. Stone Tell, Meld with Stone, and Tremorsense. While patrolling for goblins and drow, Lob can ask the stone directly if enemy patrols come by frequently, then if he gets an affirmative he hides in stone and waits for tremorsense to trigger.

5. Slow, Hold Monster, and Burrow. Basically, pop out of the ground from a distance and debuff your opponents.

6. Summon Huge Elemental and Dungeoncrasher. I saved my favorite for last. A huge earth elemental is 32 feet tall, weighs 48,000 pounds, and is a solid object. It is a mobile wall of stony death for you to bull rush opponents into. Even better, it also can bull rush opponents at +33 or so, so the two of you can just play ping pong with the bodies of your opposition.

Equipment:
One item stands out: a Ring of Elemental Command (Earth). It supplements Meld into Stone uses. Lob can use Soften Earth and Stone at will, allowing him to burrow in solid stone. It gives two more uses of Stone Shape to make walls out of the floors as necessary. It gives Passwall, which works better than Meld into Stone for spring attacking out into foes. It gives 1/day Wall of Stone, for crowd control and another barrier to bull rush into. And finally, it protects Lob from earth elementals and significantly boosts his combat abilities against other earth-type creatures that he might encounter while traveling through the earth.

Ring of Elemental Command (Earth)
Meld into stone (unlimited use, wearer only)
Soften earth and stone (unlimited use)
Stone shape (twice per day)
Stoneskin (once per week, wearer only)
Passwall (twice per week)
Wall of stone (once per day)

Otherwise Lob needs very little in terms of equipment. Burrowing Claws give him a burrow speed, and Phoenix Cloak gives a fly speed. Permanent Enlarge Person helps qualify for Knockback (Jotunbrud arguably might qualify, but this is better anyhow) and improves damage, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts.

Ring of Earth Elemental Command (200K), Burrowing Claws (30K), Enlarge Person (Permanency) (~5K), Belt of Magnificence (200K), Ring of Freedom of Movement (40K), Phoenix Cloak (40K), Vest of Resistance (25K), Ring of Counterspells (Greater Dispel Magic), Hand of the Mage (9K?), (4K), Boots of Speed (12K) Libram of Gainful Exercise +4 (110K), Tooth of Leraje (20K), +2 Full Plate (5,500g), +1 Holy Transmuting Glaive (50k), and about 10K in spare change.

Final stats:
BAB +17 (+19 with LA buyback)
HD: 6d10, 12d8
Base Saves: +15 Fort, +5 Reflex, +5 Will. Immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
Modified saves: +28 Fort, +15 Reflex, +13 Will. Immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities, +2 against spells and spell-likes (dwarf), freedom of movement.
Movement: 20ft land, 20ft fly, 20ft burrow. In vermin form: 40ft land, 40ft climb, 40ft fly, 20ft burrow. Boots of Speed for +30 to any of these 10/day.
Full attack when enemy is against a wall (with reach 20ft, using 1 charge of Boots of Speed):
Large Glaive +37/+37/32/27/22, damage per hit: 2d8+8d6+59, and bite +32 1d8+18, Poison DC 18 or 1d4 Dex/Paralysis.
On full power attack (such as with Shock Trooper): 2d8+8d6+85, total damage ~140 per hit, ~700 damage total per round
Bull Rush attempts: +41 (on par with a 24 HD Elder Earth Elemental)

With additional cheese:
LA buyoff: Take 2 levels of barbarian for rage, pounce (lion totem) and improved trip (wolf totem), or two levels of crusader or warblade.
Flaws: 2 good feats for 1-20 would be Improved Toughness and Cleave.

Other builds I considered:
Earth Dwarf Fighter 6/Were-spider 2/barbarian 2/stonelord 8/LA 2 (More complicated, gets Pounce and Rage)
Mineral Warrior Earth Dwarf Fighter 6/Were-spider 2/barbarian 1/stonelord 8/LA 3 (Even more complicated!)
Earth Dwarf Fighter 6/barbarian 4/stonelord 10 (simpler bull rusher)
Earth Dwarf Ranger 3/Barbarian 2/Stonelord 5/Battlerager 5/Frost Rager 5 (grappling build)

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:52 AM
Ah, grit-laden jerky - the breakfast of champions!

Durin-Thur Stonehammer Lord of the Deepstone
“You shall not Pass!”

Durin-Thur Stonehammer was very dour even by dwarves standards. His father was the cities most skilled sculptor. Durin was eager to learn his father’s craft, he loved the feel of a hammer in his hands and the smell of powdered stone and the sense of power from reshaping ancient stone to suit his will. However he lacked the patience to ever become a true master and his father saw this so he sent his son away to be trained as a Guardian so he could gain honor fighting on the front lines. Their city was deep in the underdark perhaps the deepest outpost of their kind, it’s gem deposits had made the entire city quite rich but the lived in a state of near constant warfare with the underdark’s native races.

The training was brutal fighting running miles long obstacle courses in full armor, fighting to well beyond the point of exhaustion, and learning to banish all fear of death. After his training Durin’s father gifted him a suit on armor that had been in their family since time immemorial, Durin knew that to prove himself worthy of this honor he needed to become the greatest warrior in the guardians and he volunteered for duty in the furthest reaches of the clan’s territory. Soon distinguished himself amongst the City’s guardians. He would stand at the head of the phalanx wielding his trademark hammer with a head of solid stone as wave after wave of broke like water against a Cliffside.

He was a hero to the entire city now he had greater prestige than he could ever have as a mason even if he’d been greater than his father. Durin was even engaged to a lesser daughter of a noble house.

No magic equipment assumed
Dwarven Crusader 5
Str 16
Dex 8
Con 20 (18 +2 Racial)
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 7 (9 -2 Racial)

HP 5d12+25
AC 23 (10+10 armor+4 shield-1Dex) +2 vs. larger creatures
BAB +5 War hammer +9 1d8+3
Saves
Fort 9 (4 base +5 Con)
Ref 0 (1 Base -1 Dex
Will 6 (1 Base +5 Con)

Feats
Endurance
Steadfast Determination

Class Abilities
Steely Resolve 10
Furious Counterstrike
Indomitable Soul
Zealous Surge

Maneuvers
Stone Bones* attack and gain DR 5/adamantine for until next turn
Crusader’s Strike* attack and heal 1d6+IL
Vanguard Strike
Leading the attack
Charging Minotaur
Mountain Hammer* attack +2d6 damage ignore DR and Hardness
Shield Block* immediate action grant ally AC bonus of your shield bonus +4
White Raven Tactics* immediate Change an ally’s initiative to 1 below yours (targeting yourself lets you go twice in a row)

Stances
Stone foot stance* +2 on Str checks, +2 AC vs. larger foes
Bolstering Voice

*usually in/readied

Skills
Balance 8
Stone working 8
Jump 8
Heal cc 4
Knowledge History 8
Climb cc 4

Languages
Common
Dwarven
Terran
Undercommon

Key equipment
MW Stone Warhammer
MW Mountain Plate
MW Tower shield

However, over the years the waves wear away the cliff face. During one particularly determined army of Orcs Durin, despite his now famous resiliency found himself at the edge of exaustion, his armor pulled him down like it never had before, it seemed like ages ago he had dropped his shield because he needed both of his weary arms to swing his hammer and he was slowly losing blood from dozens of small wounds. Regretfully he decided that for the first time in his career it was time to fallback.

He stepped backward into his squad but found that he had not stepped backward into a line of Dwarves. Had he been overcome with bloodlust and broken formation? No, now he saw that around him and behind him intermingled with several times their number of Orcs were dozens of Dwarven corpses; perhaps his entire squad. Further he was still alive only because most of the Orcs were parting to pass him on either side because though they could undoubtedly overwhelm him they had seen him kill enough of their fellows that only the bravest wished to challenge him. He didn’t know how many had already passed by but he could see the horde tightly packed and stretching out beyond the edge of his darkvision.

Just as he had lost all hope, not for himself but for his home, a plan emerged. He charged through the Orcs and swung with all his might, at the exact place that a lifetime of working stone told him not to. The stone broke open and the crack traveled up to the roof of the cavern which split and rained down oblivion on Dwarf and Orc alike.

Durin awoke. He had no idea how long he’d been unconscious he was buried alive in an earthen tomb of his own design. With no landmarks he did the only thing he could he picked a direction and started swinging his hammer. Whenever he’d taken a few sizeable chunks off a stone he’d sweep away armfuls of the fine sand that flowed between the stones and especially into his armor and test to see if he could move the stone yet and if it would be safe, then he would either lift the rock and toss it aside or keep working. Shortly after his second rest period he found the body of an Orc shaman in the rubble. The thought of eating him briefly crossed Durin’s mind but the body was too far gone for that. Still he fell on the body with the desperate energy that only the half starved have searching for anything edible. Several pouches had been ripped open and their contents smashed together.

Picking out the most disgusting matter he found some bits that looked like dried meat, he chewed his disgusting rations as fast as he could even though the grit on them cut painfully in his mouth he washed it down with whatever was in the Orc’s flasks. That was a mistake, as soon as he stood up his head started to spin and he fell flat on his face.

Durin woke and was surprised to find that he felt quite refreshed. He wonders if maybe something in one of those flasks was good for him he quickly dismisses this pointless query and gets back to work. Shortly after his next rest period his hammer shatters. He drops to his knees as despair washes over him.

Some time later as he sits waiting for death he reflects on his guardian training and how they had they learned to look for the smallest weaknesses and strike with such perfect focus that their weapons could break stone that should have shrugged off their attacks. He’d never attempted this with his hands but, why shouldn’t it work. He stood once more in front of the wall of fallen rocks focusing all of his will into his fist.

He pulled his aching hand back to nurse it, in a moment the pain had reached a manageable level and he was overjoyed to see that his hand had left a long thin line in solid stone. He immediately punched it again and regretted it, he hadn’t taken the time to regain his focus and he hurt his hand worse than the first time without damaging the stone in return. Internally chastising himself he stood before the stone and took the time to properly focusing his mind on the stone and on his fist. The work was slow and agonizing but he was making progress.

He completely lost track of all semblance of time no longer stopping to rest at all. The only time he stopped was when he heard faint sounds as if the stones themselves were whispering to him, he wanted to dismiss this as his imagination but as often as not he would find a tiny trickle of water or he would dislodge a stone and find a pocket of trapped. Before long the steel of his gauntlets dented and cracked. When the torn ends began to turn inward and bite into his fingers he cast them aside and continued his assault. After a time he noticed that his hands had healed where falling sand and powdered stone mixed with his blood from his knuckles, then later his skin seemed t become harder than the stone around him. He wondered if this was his mind slipping or a gift from his ancestors who appreciated his determination. When he found that his hardened skin took away the pain of striking the stone allowing him to strike faster he decided that it must be the former.

He continued his work not knowing how long he had toiled or for how much longer he would need go on to escape his stony prison. At the edge of exaustion and once more on the brink of starvation he paused and leaned against the stones in front of him and was shocked when the wall melted away in front of him revealing a cavern filled with mushrooms of several variety including a luminescent variety on the roof of the cave. Durin quietly muttered thanks to Moradin and his ancestors before voraciously consuming fistful after fistful of mushrooms until he felt near ready to burst his armor.

He lay sated on a soft patch of moss and drifted off to sleep for the first time in what felt like forever. His dreams were filled with images of home and with strange spirits following him and helping with everyday tasks. Durin wakes to the sounds of conversation, he wearily rises and goes back into the shadows of his cave to wait. A group of young drow come into the cavern carrying baskets and small knives. Obviously, this was too good to be true, this cavern was cultivated. The Drow are just laborers so he deals with them swiftly and mercifully. As he harvests a big basket of mushrooms he wonders if the young Drows’ masters will be as merciful as him.

Avoiding the Dark Elf City makes his journey home much longer and complicated while their patrols make it far more interesting. His route is long a circuitous filled with innumerable enemies and scarce few friends. When finally makes it home the first Guardian patrol he runs into doesn’t even recognize him and has to send for someone who can identify him.
Durin has been gone for almost a year and I seems there is nothing but ill news for him. His father was killed in the Orc attack and his betrothed has been married off to a warrior Durin knows is inferior who faired better than he against another branch of the Orc attack which was a mere fraction the size of the force he faced.

Note: I took some liberties with the Stone lord “ritual” .

It says you must be immersed in sacred loam.
Loam is a mixture of dirt, sand and clay a lot of what fell on Durin in the cave in was loam. Sacred is a vague word the loam could have been blessed long ago or it could have been blessed by ancestor/earth spirits trying to protect Durin.
It requires fasting for long periods of time deep underground.
Deep underground, check. So does nearly starving to death twice when you have a 20 con and endurance count as fasting? I say it can.
Must consume 1000gp worth of powdered gemstones.
The Orc shaman’s rations and spell component pouch were crushed together and he had components for multiple castings of stoneskin.

Dwarven Crusader 5/Stonelord 3/DeepWarden 2

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 21 (19 +2 Racial)
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 7 (9 -2 Racial)

HP 7d12+3d8+50
AC 24 (10+7 armor+2 Shield+5 Con) +2 vs. larger creatures
BAB +10 Longsword +13/+8 1d8+3
Saves
Fort 15 (10 base +5 Con)
Ref 2 (2 Base -1 Dex
Will 10 (5 Base +5 Con)

Feats
Endurance
Steadfast Determination
Open Minded
Stone Power
Track

Class Abilities
Steely Resolve 10
Furious Counterstrike
Indomitable Soul
Zealous Surge
Earth’s Blood
Stoneskin 1/day
Stoneshape 1/day
Trap Sense +1
Stone Warden(Con to AC)

Maneuvers
Stone Bones* attack and gain DR 5/adamantine for until next turn
Vanguard Strike
Leading the attack
Charging Minotaur
Mountain Hammer* attack +2d6 damage ignore DR and Hardness
Shield Block* immediate action grant ally AC bonus of your shield bonus +4
White Raven Tactics* immediate Change an ally’s initiative to 1 below yours (targeting yourself lets you go twice in a row)

Stances
Stone foot stance* +2 on Str checks, +2 AC vs. larger foes
Bolstering Voice

* usually readied/in this stance

Skills
Balance 13
Stone working 8
Jump 8
Heal cc 5
Knowledge History 8
Climb cc 5
Survival 8
Knowledge Dungeoneering 9

Languages
Common
Dwarven
Terran
Undercommon

equipment
Longsword
Heavy Steel shield
Heavily Damaged Mountain Plate
Arbitrary amount of treasure from random encounters

After a few short weeks of rest, recuperation and mourning Durin emerged from his father’s house and began liquidating his father’s estate and commissioning gear. His armor which was damaged almost beyond the point of recognition he had reforged using the latest developments in armorsmithing and alloyed with adamantine, it’s lost gantlets were replaced with a set enchanted to enhance strength. The rest of his inheritance was spent on a variety of charms and amulets that promised to bolster his defenses to legendary levels. The only thing he kept was his father’s hammer. Once rested and reequipped he went to the captain of the Guardians “Durin-Thur Stonehammer reporting for duty, Sir!”

Everyone was shocked that he wanted to go back to defending the City so soon but, he couldn’t be dissuaded and though he wanted to the captain knew that giving Durin an easy assignment now would be insulting.

When Durin returned to duty in the most heavily contested areas the Dwarves claimed he quickly grew from a highly admired champion to a hero. In battle Durin would stand two full ranks ahead of his charges and the very earth rose up to fight with him from even the largest of attacks the few enemies that stumbled around him were easily dispatched by a full squad of fresh dwarves warriors.

Though the men loved Durin and toasted to him nightly, he became more and more distant spending almost all of his free time in solitary. Few dared ask what he did and nobody was even given an answer. Durin’s prowess in battle and mystical connection with the stone continued to grow. During one battle a second group of attackers flanked Durin’s force by using a side tunnel. At first his troops fought eager for some action after watching so many battles from the sidelines but, eventually the force was too much and they had nowhere to retreat to. Durin extended his arm and a opened in one wall of the cavern, he ordered them into the space then took guard outside.

Over the years more abilities emerged he began calling upon stone to reshape caverns when attack was immanent creating unassailable choke points. Durin became a legend even amongst his enemies and his protection became an excellent deterrent and the city was safer and richer than ever. In the decades that followed there were fewer and fewer attacks. As the Guardians became soft Durin grew anxious he no longer remembered how to live a peaceful life.

Then After years of relative inactivity the city was assaulted from a dozen directions at once. Durin Headed for the worst of the fighting of course and was soon holding back the assault there with only a pair of messengers watching him. He was surprised when a small squad came to meet him. It turned out that though this was the largest assault it was a rouse, it consisted entirely of slaves and green troops. The real attack was coming from the other side of the city and the forces there were fast becoming overwhelmed. Durin ran as fast as he could and was shocked by the carnage he found in his rage he heedlessly charged the first enemy commander he saw and as he collided with him the very earth shook knocking all around off their feet and killing many attackers. He quickly regained his composure and used his earth moving powers to seal the entrance to the city proper. The remaining troops separated going to the various lesser fronts. After the battle the stone pillars Durin had raised didn’t return to the Earth and after a few days a team of craftsman cut a whole through. The dead were carefully catalogued and taken away for burial but no sign of Durin was found.

Dwarven Crusader 5/Stonelord 3/Deepwarden 2/ Deepstone Sentinel 5
Str 20 (16 +4 enhancement)
Dex 8
Con 28 (20 +6 enhancement +2 Racial)
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 7 (9 -2 Racial)

HP 7d12+3d8+5d10+135
AC 45/47 (10+13/15 armor+9 Shield+9 Con+2 Natural+2 Deflection) +2 vs. larger creatures
DR 3/Adamantine DR 2/-
BAB +13 (Stone hammer +23/+18/+13 1d8+7)
Saves
Fort 23 (14 base +9 Con)
Ref 2 (3 Base -1 Dex
Will 15 (6 Base +9 Con)

Feats
Endurance
Steadfast Determination
Open Minded
Stone Power
Track
Armor Specialization
Extra Granted Maneuver

Class Abilities
Steely Resolve 10
Furious Counterstrike
Indomitable Soul
Zealous Surge
Earth’s Blood
Stoneskin 1/day
Stoneshape 1/day
Trap Sense +1
Stone Warden(Con to AC)
Mountain Fortress Stance
Passwall
Crashing Mountain Juggernaut
Indomitable Redoubt
Stone Curse
Dragon’s Tooth
Awaken Stone Dragon

Maneuvers
Stone Bones*(drop for shield block in a group) attack and gain DR 5/adamantine for one round
Vanguard Strike
Leading the attack
Charging Minotaur
Mountain Hammer
Shield Block
White Raven Tactics* immediate action change ally’s initiative to one lower than yours (targeting yourself let’s you take another turn on the next initiative step.
Overwhelming Mountain Strike* attack +2d6 attack opponent loses next move action fort save DC 14+str mod
Elder Mountain Hammer* attack + 6d6 damage ignore DR and Hardness
Irresistible Mountain Strike* attack +4d6 opponent loses next standard action fort save DC 16+Str mod

Stances
Stone foot stance* +2 Str checks, +2 AC vs. larger creatures
Bolstering Voice

*usually in/readied
Balance 18
Stone working 16
Jump 8
Heal cc 5
Knowledge History 8
Climb cc 5
Survival 8
Knowledge Dungeoneering 18

Languages
Common
Dwarven
Terran
Undercommon

Equipment about ¾ WBL
+5 Adamantine Interlocking Plate
+5 Steel Towershield
+2 Stone Dragon Warhammer(stone)
+4 Gauntlets of ogre Power
+6 Periapt of Health
+2 Amulet of Natural
+2 Ring of Protection

Durin-thur Stonehammer has become a figure of legend. He’s never seen or heard from anymore except when the city is in dire need. At the taverns warriors tell tales of being hopelessly out numbered and feeling the earth shake then a pillar of stone sealing the cavern ahead of them then they claim to hear the sounds of battle for hours sometimes days then nothing. If it was Durin he didn’t stop to ask for any thanks, except in the stories of the least reliable young Dwarves. He is a mythical figure and some warriors have even started muttering quiet prayers to the Lord of the Deepstone.

Dwarven Crusader 6/Stonelord 7/Deepwarden 2/ Deepstone Sentinel 5
(Actual order Crusader 1-5/Stonelord 1-3/Deepwarden 1-2/Deepstone Sentinel 1-5/Stonelord 4-7/Crusader6)

Str 24 (16 +6 enhancement +4 inherent)
Dex 8
Con 34 (22+6 enhancement +4 inherent +2 Racial)
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 7 (9 -2 Racial)

HP 8d12+7d8+5d10+240
AC 54/56 (10+13/15 armor+9 Shield+12 Con+5 Natural+5 Deflection)
DR 3/Adamantine DR 2/-
BAB +18 (Stone hammer +33/+28/+23 1d8+12)
Saves
Fort 35 (18 base +12 Con+5 resistance)
Ref 9 (5 Base -1 Dex+5 resistance)
Will 25 (8 Base +12 Con+5 resistance)

Feats
Endurance
Steadfast Determination
Open Minded
Stone Power
Track
Armor Specialization
Extra Granted Maneuver
Martial Study (Ancient Mountain Hammer)

Class Abilities
Steely Resolve 10
Furious Counterstrike
Indomitable Soul
Zealous Surge
Earth’s Blood
Stoneskin 1/day
Stoneshape 1/day
Trap Sense +1
Stone Warden(Con to AC)
Mountain Fortress Stance
Passwall
Crashing Mountain Juggernaut
Indomitable Redoubt
Stone Curse
Dragon’s Tooth
Awaken Stone Dragon
Summon Earth Elemental 1/day
Meld into Stone
Earth Power
Stone Tell
Smite Evil 1/day

Maneuvers
Stone Bones*(drop for shield block in a group) attack and gain DR 5/adamantine for one round
Vanguard Strike
Leading the attack
Charging Minotaur
Mountain Hammer
Shield Block
White Raven Tactics* immediate action change ally’s initiative to one lower than yours (targeting yourself let’s you take another turn on the next initiative step.
Overwhelming Mountain Strike* attack +2d6 attack opponent loses next move action fort save DC 14+str mod
Elder Mountain Hammer* attack + 6d6 damage ignore DR and Hardness
Irresistible Mountain Strike* attack +4d6 opponent loses next standard action fort save DC 16+Str mod
Ancient Mountain Hammer* attack +12d6 damage ignore DR and Hardness

Stances
Strength of Stone* Immune to Critical Hits
Bolstering Voice

*usually in/readied

Skills
Balance 23
Stone working 23
Jump 8
Heal cc 5
Knowledge History 8
Climb cc 5
Survival 23
Knowledge Dungeoneering 23

Languages
Common
Dwarven
Terran
Undercommon

Equipment much closer to WBL
+5 Adamantine Interlocking Plate
+5 Steel Towershield
+5 Stone Dragon Warhammer(stone)
+6 Gauntlets of ogre Power
+6 Periapt of Health
+5 Amulet of Natural
+5 Ring of Protection
+5 Cloak of Resistance
+4 Manual of Bodily Exercise
+4 Manual of Bodily Health
Boots of Teleportation
Several Martial Scripts of Strike of Righteous Fury always keeps on fastened to the inside of his shield.

Note: His damage output may seem low even for a defense focused character but strikes go a long way towards making up for it. With white raven tactics he can make 3 strikes and a full attack in or 4 strikes in three rounds and after lvl 15 3 strikes or 2 strikes and a full attack in 2 rounds. Due to the nature the Crusader class these maneuver’s are refreshed every 4 turns/3 rounds and every 3 turns/2 rounds after the extra granted maneuver feat has been taken.

Books used:
Phb
Dmg
Complete Warrior
Races of Stone
Tome of Battle

Equipment is all core except for the awesome martial discipline weapon enchantment and mountain plate and interlocking plate which are both from Races of Stone. The stone hammer is just a war hammer with extra fluff though if anyone knows a good mechanical way to treat it I’d be interested in hearing it.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 07:59 AM
This one really is a groundbreaking build. *rimshot*

Author Notes
Looking at the Stonelord PrC, I thought a lot how could I make it into something strong both mechanically and flavourfully, utilizing as much as possible Stonelord levels. Well, of course, Tome of Battle to the rescue, although, I was amazed that Tome of Battle helped out here not by maneuvers, but by actual PrC features - Deepstone Sentinel's and Stonelord's combination is amazing. Although, I've made up a story pretty hastily, as I didn't have much time left, I did my best to make this character a tasty dish for you. Enjoy.

Story
Torar of the Stoneshield was a highly extraverted and a loyal fellow. From his young age, he took pride in the dwarf war and stone mastery. He liked the dwarven heroes who defended his people, and Torar wanted to be one of them. But, something unexpected has happened. Torar suddenly experienced repeated purple energy bursts coming from him. He hid it some time, but it couldn't be hidden forever - the dwarves took notice of it soon, and he was exiled from the clan, but Torar didn't give up mentally, and didn't give up his childhood interests. He still decided to fulfill them. He came forth to the rocky mountains, living a savage life, until he met his teacher - Glordal, the Stone Hermit. One day, he will return to his people, ready to protect them, despite their ignorance.

Torar Stoneshield, the Deepstonelord Sentinel
CG Dwarf Barbarian 1/Warlock 2/Fighter 1/Crusader 1/Barbarian +1/Stonelord 9/Deepstone Sentinel 5

BAB +17

ACFs: Wolf Totem, Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy(Barbarian); Sneak Attack(Fighter)

Stats 32 PB Level 1
Str: 18
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Wis: 8
(Dex Increase at every level Boost)

Stats at 20th Level(Manual of Quickness of Action +5, Bracers of Enlarge Person, Gloves of Dexterity +6)
Str: 26
Dex: 28
Con: 14
Wis: 8

Feats:
1HD: Power Attack
3HD: Combat Reflexes
6(Barb): Improved Trip
6HD: Endurance
9HD: Knockdown
12HD: Craven
15HD: Cleave
18HD: Defensive Sweep

+17 BAB

Skills: Do the pre-requirements, the rest is, really, a personal preference.

Warlock Invocations: Eldritch Glaive, See the Unseen

Crusader Maneuvers: Shield Block, Battle Leader's Charge, Stone Bones, Charging Minotaur, Douse the Flames, Stonefoot Stance(Stance)

Deepstone Sentinel Maneuvers: Collosus Strike, Adamantine Bones, Earthstrike Quake

Stonelord Powers(In order of taking): Stoneskin, Earth Shadows, Earth Power, Summon Earth Elemental

Possesions at Level 20(760k gold):
Bracers of Enlarge Person(4,000gp)(Per DMG Item Creation rules) - alternatively, have your caster cast Enlarge Person on you.
Manual of Quickness of Action +5(137,500gp)
Skin of the Hero(77,500gp)
Belt of Battle combined with Belt of Giant Strength +6(48,000gp)
Celestial Armor of Freedom(77,500gp)
Animated Heavy Fortification Heavy Steel Shield +1(64,020gp)
Eager Warning Armor Spikes +1(18,050gp)
Eager Shield Spikes of Mighty Cleaving +1(18,010gp)
Boots of Speed(12,000gp)
Flexible Spine(91,000gp)
Glaring Eye(10,000gp)
Chitin Plating +5(100,000gp)
Ring of Protection +5(50,000gp)
Amulet of Natural Armor +5(50,000gp)

Total: 757580gp
Left: 2420gp

Level 5: CG Dwarf Barbarian 1/Warlock 2/Fighter 1/Crusader 1
You are a melee'er. Rage, Eldritch Glaive and Power Attack away! Really, not much explanation needed here.

Strategy:
Rage, Charge, Power Attack!

Level 10: CG Dwarf Barbarian 2/Warlock 2/Fighter 1/Crusader 1/Stonelord 4
Now when you've got into the Stonelord PrC, you've picked up some decent survivability option via Stoneskin, and can easily set up a sneak attack when you don't have your flanking buddy near you - four times per day should be enough for now. Also, you've got some control options via Combat Reflexes, Knockdown and your reach, which should be enlarged by now.

Strategy:
Rage, Charge, Power Attack, Earth Shadows... Stoneskin when you're low on HP.

Level 15: CG Dwarf Barbarian 2/Warlock 2/Fighter 1/Crusader 1/Stonelord 9
Almost the same as level 10, except you have your Earth Power for an additional occaisonal burst for extra-tough enemies, and you've got your elemental, which can be used for grappling spellcasters, and, perhaps, flanking, when you're out of Earth Shadows. Also, you've got earthquake, which you'll have some decent use of in the next 5 levels.

Strategy:
Same as level 10, and summon your Earth Elemental to grapple weak stuff that is far away. Throw in Earth Power occaisionally.

Level 20: CG Dwarf Barbarian 2/Warlock 2/Fighter 1/Crusader 1/Stonelord 9/Deepstone Sentinel 5
Okay, here we got the earthquake synenergy. Mountain Fortress stance, technically, if made of rock, creates a cliff, allowing you to use your earthquake's "Cliffs" option. Yes that's silly, but it's RAW. Creating an avalanche out of a 5-foot rock pillar - hell yes!
If you want to use your earthquake's land option, you've got some badass options to! Since earthquake's land option creates cracks into the earth - Collosus Strike your opponents into them!
What's the use of earth elemental, you ask? Well, it's pretty simple - the earth elemental picks up your allies, and since they're not, technically, on the ground, they're not affected by your earth-shaking stuff. With large size and strength score of 25 it should carry a decent amount of allies.

Strategy:
The build blooms here. It has decent damage and battlefield control, which could always be of use. Everything's basically the same, but you get more use out of your swift actions. On round 1 you should rage, charge and full power attack someone who is standing close to another enemies, so you could trigger you Cleave. If anyone tries to escape or leave, they get an AoO, which knocks them prone on hit. Oh, and when you end your charge, you activate Mountain Fortress Stance. If your enemy's not dead, 5-foot step away and use your earth-shattering moves(particularily, Earthquake and Awaken the Stone Dragon), if your enemy is dead, Mountain Juggernaut charge full power attack the next enemy. Get an earth shadow off as needed. Rinse, repeat. If your team is still not immune to your earth-shaking stuff, summon an earth elemental to carry them or tell them to stay back a little from you, preferably, pre-battle.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 08:00 AM
NOM NOM NOM!

What, you think making up these witty comments is easy?

Munchy, Gold Dwarf of Stone.

LG Gold Dwarf

STR 10
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 13
WIS 13
CHA 15

Shugenja 6/Earth Dreamer 5/Stonelord 9

Worship: Moradin

Flaws: Murky-Eyed, Vulnerable

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Terran

Elemental Focus: Earth Order: Ineffable Mystery

1st: Endurance, Earth Sense (RoS), Favored (Cityscape)
Concentration 4, Craft (Stoneworking) 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 1, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Psionics) 1, Knowledge (Religion) 2, Spellcraft 4.
At this level, you're just a standard buffer/healer. Wear some leather armor, grab a crossbow, and use your spells to improve your party's win percentage while staying out of the way.

2nd: Concentration 5, Craft (Stoneworking) 5, Knowledge (Arcana) 2, Knowledge (Nature) 5, Spellcraft 5

3rd: Heighten Spell
Concentration 6, Craft (Stoneworking) 6, Knowledge (Nature) 6, Knowledge (Psionics) 2, Spellcraft 6

4th: Raise CHA
Concentration 7, Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Spellcraft 7

5th: Concentration 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Knowledge (Psionics) 4, Spellcraft 8

6th: Primary Contact - Spellcraft (Cityscape)
Concentration 9, Knowledge (Nature) 8, Spellcraft 10 Here's where the tricky part hits. Primary Contact taken at 6th level - and only at 6th - gets you into Earth Dreamer a level early, skills-wise. Unfettered skills access was the primary reason to begin as a Shugenja. Hopefully by this point you've upgraded to a magicked morningstar and a mithral buckler.

7th: Earth Dreamer 1 (Earth Friend)
Concentration 10, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2

8th: Raise CHA (Earth Dream)
Concentration 11, Knowledge (Local) 1.0

9th: Arcane Disciple (CD) (Lesser Tremorsense)
Concentration 12, Knowledge (Local) 1.5, Spellcraft 11

10th: (Earth Sight)
Concentration 13, Knowledge (Local) 2.0, Spellcraft 12

11th: (Earth Glide)
Concentration 14, Spellcraft 14 Thus ends your path as a primary caster. Earth Dreamer's extra abilities make you a very efficient party scout in dungeon crawls or any non-aerial environment, and Arcane Disciple has added to your spell list some. Having focused on the Shugenja Element best suited to buffing, the transition into divine gish is relatively smooth. Get an animated shield by this point if possible, since you're about to start wading into the fray holding that magic morningstar in two hands after buffing up.

12th: Stonelord 1 (Earth's Blood); Earth Spell (RoS); Raise CHA
Concentration 15, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4

13th: (Stone Power: Gravity)
Concentration 16, Knowledge (Local) 4

14th: (Stone Shape)
Concentration 17, Spellcraft 15

15th: Knowledge Devotion (CCh); (Stone Power: Earth Magic)
Concentration 18, Spellcraft 16 Gravity and Stone Shape allow you to be a more than adequate BFC caster; Knowledge Devotion with your continued focus on obtaining ranks in the various Knowledges shores up your BAB and damage before you even apply buffs. Assuming you have acquired some method of flight (there are myriad methods; pick your favorite), this could be considered the 'Sweet Spot' of the build.

16th: Raise CHA; (Meld Into Stone)
Concentration 19, Spellcraft 17

17th: (Stone Power: Earth's Shadows)
Concentration 20, Spellcraft 18

18th: Steady Concentration (RoS); (Stone Tell)
Concentration 21, Spellcraft 19

19th: (Stone Power: Summon Large Earth Elemental)
Concentration 22, Spellcraft 20

20th: Raise CHA; (Earthquake)
Concentration 23, Spellcraft 21 Oh look! You have a pet to help you scout and smash bad guys, and SLAs to make the battlefield as treacherous as you like as long as it's confined to the ground.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 08:08 AM
Okay, that's the lot. Get judging!

Ozymandias9
2010-05-06, 08:28 AM
Drat, I should have sent it in last night. Looking over my would have been entry this morning, it really wan't up to snuff. Certainly not up to level of these ones.

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 10:45 AM
I did close it earlier than normal, as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get on a computer again today. As no judges have turned up yet, here's one last, slightly late entry.

Takar Varson
LG Shield Dwarf
Ranger (WS Var) 8, Stonelord 10, Deepwarden 2

Backstory and Early Levels
Level 1
For 5 centuries before Takar was born, the Empire of Arnimanth had been at war with the Duergar empire of TalKatehth. Throughout his adolescence he honed his combat and tracking skills, hoping to join the Legions of the Emperor when he came of age. Shortly after his 45th birthday, his hopes came to fruition: he and his cousin Rurik are accepted into the Legion. He finds war different than he expected, even having grown up in a society where it was a constant. He finds that, surrounded by chaos and death, he is far less skilled with archery than he had supposed. He also acquires a reputation along his comrades for loosing his lunch after a battle.

Their teasing subsides after it becomes clear that he can keep his head on in combat. He always seems to know what's going on around him. To him, it even seems like the stone around them is telling him what's happening.

Level 5
3 months before Takar's 46th birthday, the Imperil City of Arnithon fell. The rest of the empire quickly followed. Rurik fell in battle. Takar was not so lucky: while heavily injured, he survived long enough to be taken into captivity by the armies of TalKatehth. Like many of those in the lower ranks of the Imperial Legions, he was enslaved and sent by the Duergar into the gladiatorial arenas. Takar finds, much to his dismay, that much of his training in fighting the Duergar that are now his masters functions just as well against his kinsmen.

As he fights in the arena, Takar finds that he fairs better than most with the beasts that the Duergar include in the matches from time to time. He finds a particular affinity with one of the hunting dogs when it saves him from an Fleshraker Dinosaur. He begins to call the dog Rurik, and believes it sent by his fallen clansman to aid him.

Level 6 (Stonelord Entry)
After about a year in the arena, leaders begin to emerge among the Gladiators. One dwarf in particular, Viek Starken, stands up above the others. Takar, among others, joins him in staging an escape from the barracks. The gladiators break out of the barracks, and into the arena armory. They take progressively heavier losses as they try to fight out of the city and reach the unsettled caverns to the west.

They nearly reach the caverns when they are waylaid by detachment of Deurgar soldiers. Already wounded and possibly outmatched, the Gladiators scatter and flee into the caverns. Takar is pursued by one of soldiers. They battle in the caverns, but Takar is outmatched. When all hope seems lost, Rurik appears and attacks the Duergar soldier: the seasoned warrior easily dispatched the dog, but Takar-- seeing this as this kinsman dieing yet another death-- is overcome with anger. As the anger flows through him, he finds that he is now the dinosaur that Rurik saved him from in the arena. With renewed vigor Takar continues the battle and dispatches his foe, though his wounds cause him to fall unconscious shortly thereafter. The last thing he notices before he looses consciousness is that he seems to be sinking into the ground.

Takar awakens, alone and covered in loam, in a particularly barren part of the wild caverns outside the Duergar lands. He grabs some loose dirt and uses it to stop the bleeding from his more serious wounds. He wanders the caverns for days, unable to find another living creature or even, despite his skill in foraging, any source of sustenance. Delirious and about to expire to his hunger and thirst, he finds a glittering cave full of emeralds. Enraptured by the gemstones and overcome with hunger, he fails to notice as he is surrounded by earth elementals. He puts up little fight as they grasp hold of them, but through his panic and compromised state, he understands some of what they say: "dressed in the earth," "dressings of stone," "duty to aid." One of the larger elementals crushes an emerald into powder and forces it down Takar's thought as he once more looses consciousness.

And onwards and upwards
After recovering, Takar dedicates himself to finding any other surviving gladiators. Once they find each other, they dedicate themselves to defending their people from the Duergar oppressors as best they can.

The Nitty Gritty
Ability Scores: 32 point buy
{table=head]Ability|Score
Str|12

Agi|10

Con|18+2(racial)=20

Int|10

Wis|14

Cha|10-2(racial)=8[/table]

All bonuses from advancement go to Con. At 20, this brings Con to 25. If possible, an inherent bonus of +5 Con should be acquired at high levels, bring this to 30. Feat qualification also requires a bonus of +1 str by level 15 for access to power attack.

Class and Feat Selection by Level
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd
1|
Ranger 1(Wild Shape Var.)|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0| Dwarf Racial Features, Fast Movement, Earth Sense, Combat Focus, Earth Adept, Track, Wild Empathy, Favored Enemy: Humanoid (Dwarf), Flaw: Shaky, Flaw: Meager Fortitude|-|-

2|
Ranger 2|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0| |-|-

3|
Ranger 3|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Endurance, Earth Master |-|-

4|
Ranger 4|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1| Animal Companion|0(+1)|-

5|
Ranger 5|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+2| Wild Shape (1), Favored Enemy: Magical Beasts |0(+1)|-

6|
Stonelord 1|
+6|
+6|
+4|
+2| Earth's Blood, Stone Form |0(+1)|-

7|
Stonelord 2|
+7|
+6|
+4|
+2| Stone Power: Earthgrip|0(+1)|-

8|
Ranger 6|
+8|
+7|
+5|
+3| Wild Shape (2) |1(+1)|-

9|
Ranger 7|
+9|
+7|
+5|
+3| Wild Shape (3), Woodland Stride, Exalted Wild Shape |1(+1)|-

10|
Ranger 8|
+10|
+8|
+6|
+3| Wild Shape (Large), Swift Tracker |1(+1)|0(+1)

11|
Stonelord 3|
+11|
+8|
+7|
+4| Stone Shape|1(+1)|0(+1)

12|
Stonelord 4|
+12|
+9|
+7|
+4| Stone Power: Gravity, Combat Vigor |1(+1)|0(+1)

13|
Deepwarden 1|
+13|
+11|
+7|
+6| Trap Sense +1|1(+1)|0(+1)

14|
Deepwarden 2|
+14|
+12|
+7|
+7| Stone Warden|1(+1)|0(+1)

15|
Stonelord 5|
+15|
+12|
+7|
+7| Meld into Stone, Power Attack|1(+1)|0(+1)

16|
Stonelord 6|
+16|
+13|
+8|
+8| Stone Power: Summon Earth Elemental|1(+1)|0(+1)

17|
Stonelord 7|
+17|
+13|
+8|
+8| Stone Tell|1(+1)|0(+1)

18|
Stonelord 8|
+18|
+14|
+8|
+8| Stone Power: Earth's Power, Combat Strike|1(+1)|0(+1)

19|
Stonelord 9|
+19|
+14|
+9|
+9| Earthquake|1(+1)|0(+1)

20|
Stonelord 10|
+19|
+14|
+9|
+9| Stone Power: Earth's Strength|1(+1)|0(+1)
[/table]

Class Sources:
Wild Shape Ranger Variant: UA, p58: Takar trades his Combat Mastery progression for Wild Shape (as a Druid) and Fast Movement (as a Barbarian)
Stonelord: CW, p81
Deep Warden: RoS, p105

Feat, and Ability Details
Combat Focus: PHB2, p87: Takar enters a Combat Focus state following his first successful attack in a given encounter. This persists for 10 rounds (11 at level 12, 12 at level 18). While in a Combat Focus state, Takar gains +2 on all will saves (increased to +4 at level 18.
Earth Sense: RoS, p138: While touching the earth, Takar is aware of the number and direction (but not distance) of creatures touching the earth within 20 yards. He cannot use this ability to pinpoint a creature.
Earth Adept: RoS, p138: While both Takar and his opponent are touching the ground, Takar gains +1 on all weapon damage rolls.
Flaw: Shaky: Takar takes a -2 penalty on all ranged attack rolls
Flaw: Meager Fortitude: Takar takes a -3 penalty on all fort saves.
Earth Master: RoS, p138: While both Takar and his opponent are touching the ground, Takar gains +1 on all attack rolls.
Stone Form: Ros, p144: Takar may spend one of his uses of wild shape to assume a rocky form, granting +4 fort vs. poison, a base natural armor of 4, and a slam attack that deals 1d8 damage.
Exalted Wild Shape: BoED, p42: Takar may use his Wild Shape to assume the form of a celestial version ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/celestialCreature.htm) of any animal he could normally select for Wild Shape. He gains the use of its Ex and Su abilities. The feat also allows the access to the forms of certain specific magical beasts.*
Power Attack: Before making attack rolls in a round, Takar may choose to subtract a given number from his attack rolls and add it to his damage rolls for that round.
Stone Warden (Deepwarden Class feature): Takar my choose to substitute his Con modifier for his Dex modifier when determining his AC.
Combat Vigor: PHB2, p897: While in a Combat Focus State, Takar gains fast healing 2. (Fast healing 4 at 18).
Combat Strike: PHB2, p897: By ending his Combat Focus State early as a swift action, Takar may add 3 to his attack and weapon damage rolls for that round.

*While specific forms explicitly granted by this feat are useful, they do not synergize particularly well with this build, nor fit especially well with its flavor. As such, and also because blink dog wild shape is a bit overpowered for any campaign where Stonelord is a sane choice, I'm going to operate under the assumption that Takar does not have the requisite familiarity to use the specific forms and is thus limited to celestial forms of known animals. It is also worth noting that, by a strict reading, this does not function for his later plant shapes (and thus Takar will not be using Myconid Sovereign as a potion factory).

Important Magical Items:
Takar's particularly important magical items fall into two categories: those that improve his wild shape, and those that improve his Con.
Takar should be investing in some version of a Amulet of Health, augmented with a Wilding Clasp (4000g, MoW p30 or MoF p167, un-updated), until around level 15. At this Point, Takar should be able to afford a Wild Shape Amulet (40000g MoF, p167, un-updated), moving his wild shape progression up that that of a level 12 druid. Ideally this would instead be moved to a custom magic item as a shirt or vestment (which has an affinity for class enhancements, and thus would not raise cost). If that is not possible, a custom vest/shirt of +6 Con (double price for lack of slot affinity) augmented with a Wilding Clasp, should be sought at about the same level range. Though it is a lesser priority, Takar should also try to acquire a similar item bolstering his strength (and thus the DCs of most of his abilities that target reflex saves), though it is of lesser propity.
At some reasonably high level an inherent bonus to Con of +5 should be sought, either through purchase of iterative wish/miracle services, or through a Manual of Bodily Health +5. While this does not function in Wild Shape, it does increase the DC of Takar's Stonelord abilities while in his natural form (and in Stone Form).
In addition, a Manual of Gainful Exercise +1 or equivalent should be sought before level 15 to qualify for Power Attack; depending on the tone of the campaign (or more correctly, depending on the amount of time spent out of wild shape), a +2 bonus may be a reasonable purchase (as it nets +1 to Takar's strength modifier). Higher bonuses should generally be avoided as Takar's strength is not going to recieve any other significant advancement out of Wild Shape.
At lower levels, Takar will benefit to some extent from Armor with the Wild trait, preferably in the form of a Mithral chain shirt to retain the higher Dex of his Wild Shapes. When Takar reaches level 14, the Deepwarden Class Ability Stone Warden makes Wild armor a poor choice, as most Wild Shapes will have with a significant bonus in either Dex or Con with the armor would limit. A wild shield, with additional enhancement as available remains a good (but not urgent purchase). In addition Takar should be maintaining at baseline magical weapon for use out of Wild Shape (or in Stone Form) should the situation require it.

At higher levels, Takar should invest in at least one Vibrant Purple Prism Ioun stone. Even with only Takar's limited ranger spell progression, this functions as a useful way around his inability to cast spells with verbal components in Wild Shape. With the cooperation of a friendly primary caster, this becomes much more valuable.[/spoiler]

Combat and Synergy

Though Takar only trivial casting abilities, through a combination of his Stonelord class features and Wild Shape extraordinary attacks, be can reasonably approach combat the same way that many casters do: by targeting his opponent's weakest savings throw. The DCs for these abilities scale off his Con and Strength. Because his physical attributes will be inherited from his wild shapes, Takar's primary concern for stat scaling is the exception there to: Takar's Con score will determine his HP in and out of Wild Shape and improve his AC and the DC of his Stonelord saves out when out of Wild Shape.

Against targets with low Fort Saves, Takar has a plethora of forms with Poison attacks. The DC for a natural poison is 10+(1/2 Takar's Hit die)+(Takar's Con Modifier in form). Good options here include the Dire Toad (MMII), Dire Snake (MMII), and Fleshraker Dinosaur (MMIII).

The Fleshraker is also of particular note for its Leaping Pounce ability, which combines a Charge, Full Attack with rake (for a total five attacks), Improved Trip attempt, and Grapple into a single round (this is a particularly good option against casters, who should be the priority targets: while Freedom of Movement will eventually negate the grapple component, they are still likely to suffer a successful trip, and they will still need to save against up to 3 iterations of the creature's poison in the round). When stacked with any or all of Takar's several options for adding bonus damage to a weapon damage roll, the damage output alone is enough to be significant. In addition, because Takar has a movement rate of 60' in this form (50' base +10 for his fast movement ability) he can charge from a distance of 120' feet. The high speed also allows Takar great leeway in insuring that he can clear sufficient distance with a move action to repeat the charge on a later turn. Once Takar's gains Earth Power: Summon Earth Elemental he can also have it use its bull rush ability (and at level 20 Awesome Blow) to grant sufficient distance to charge.

Another form of particular note is the Spindlespitter Dinosaur(MMIII), which has a poison spray attack that has blinds opponents in a cone. Because of it's lower con, the save is somewhat lower, but not inordinately so for its area effect. Once Takar has Exalted Wild Shape, he also gains this form's Uncanny Dodge ability.

Once he acquires access to plant forms with a Wild Shape Amulet, Takar can take the form of an Ironthorn (Sandstorm), which carries a paralysis poison on successful grapple.

Against targets with low reflex saves, Takar has access to several forms with Trample once reaching level 10 (which grants him large wild shapes). Trample carries a reflex save of 10+(1/2 Takar's Hit die)+(Takar's Str Modifier in form). One of the better options purely for trampling is the Diprotodon from Sandstorm. In this form, Takar will have a movement speed of 50' (40' +10 from fast movement). Since trample allows movement at double rate, this provides Takar with plenty of room to spare after the trample. With a little planning, this can be used to outrange most non casters.

Once he has access to plant forms, one of the best options for attacking reflex saves is the Warbound Impaler Lesser Battlebriar (MM3) which, in addition to a trample attack has Thorn Volley, which allows Takar to deal 5d6 damage to all to all creatures within a 10 foot radius of a targeted location within 60 yards. The DC for this ability advances by strength in the same manner as Trample.

Against casters with poor reflex scores, taking the form of a Vinespawn (MM5) gives Takar an Engulf attack with a reflex save of (Takar's HD+Takar's Strength bonus in Form). After engulfing a foe, Takar can deal 2d6+12 nonlethal damage to the target as a switf action each round. More importantly, as a standard action Takar can make a grapple attack against an engulfed creature to use the form's Spawning attack that (along other less pleasant effects) prevents the use of Verbal Components.

At level 19, Takar's Stonelord levels also give him access to earthquake once a day as a method of targeting a reflex save.

The final option for targeting Saves is Will. Here Takar is limited primarily to his Earthgrip ability from Stonelord. However, since most creatures with particularly poor will saves have little in the way of casting options, Takar's ample supply Ex attacks through Wild Shapes should provide plenty of options relative to his foes.

It should be noted that many of these forms have HD advancement which increases size (and thus Con) within the reach of Takar's eventual Wild Shape capacity.

Any time Takar deals damage with one of these various abilities, he has several options to increase the damage done. The simplest and likely most constant of these is earth adept, which will grant +1 damage on all weapon rolls for land based combat. Within the 12 rounds of combat, Takar also has the option of using Combat Strike to add an additional +3 damage per attack. Finally, in situations where hitting is not a significant concern (the opponent in question is in a grapple or engulfed, etc.) Power Attack makes an appearance as old reliable. When dealing with a particularly dangerous opponent, Takar should do his best to stack all these bonuses and dispatch them quickly.

Utility
Takar has access to a plethora underground animals with useful abilities. Here are a few examples.
Dire Badger (MM): Can use its Burrow Speed to make a usable tunnel for others. Bob's fast movement allows double rate on this.
Desmodu Hunting/Guard Bats (MMII): Blindsight, Flight 70.
Myconid Sovereign's (MMII): Spores count as an extraordinary natural attack, so Bob gains them thorough Wild Shape. While the offensive options have static DCs that are to low to be useful, the Rapport option allows Bob to provide the party with telepathic communication at 120 ft for 30 to 60 minutes.

Grynning
2010-05-06, 12:03 PM
Argh! I was almost finished with my results, and I'm about to leave!

Oh well, I can judge one more, I may just have to post my stuff later. Good to see a bigger pool of entrants.

arguskos
2010-05-06, 01:11 PM
Boilerplate Disclaimer: Anything I say below is about the character, not the person. Don't take it personally. I respect and am impressed by your hard work, even if I score you poorly. Every entry is always enjoyable to read, even if I don't like it much, so you should take everything with a grain of salt or two. :smallwink:

Scores:

Belrid, One With The Stone
Power: 4. You are a totemist. I can't imagine this goes bad at some point.
Originality: 4. TOTEMIST. I didn't honestly expect that one, and it was pretty left-field for me.
Elegance: 3. Not the prettiest build ever, what with the random fighter dip and the jumping about in Ironsoul.
Use of Stonelord: 2.5. Yes, I know it's Stonelord, but still, 5 levels isn't much, and it doesn't seem to matter in the build. It seems more like they are 5 levels of flavor, not 5 levels of even semi-synergy. Still, I can't rate you worse, because, well, it IS Stonelord.

Total: 3.375. A solid build. Nothing I'd write home about personally, but interesting if nothing else.

Grimshank, The Grim Gnome Shanker
Power: 3. He, as you said yourself, is pretty weak combat-wise. His out of combat utility is lacking somewhat, and though he is a good scout, anyone who locks him down will pulp him.
Originality: 4.5. Uh... I had not expected to see a goblin gnome killer in this. Like, not at all. You are to be commended for making something that makes my head spin.
Elegance: 4. It's slick. You finish three prestige classes, including Stonelord. I like it.
Use of Stonelord: 4. This is much more of what I was expecting to see, Stonelord complimenting something that is already mechanically thematic. It's a good use, even if not optimal, and I approve of it.

Total: 3.875. Grimshank here is a amusing and entertaining character, one that was a good left-fielder and one I enjoyed reading throughly. Congrats.

Stonelord Bruingar Threehorns, Field Marshall of Deepstone Warden
Power: 3.5. You're a fairly standard tripper build with a trick or two. Looks fine.
Originality: 3. Anyone can do a tripper. Now, a tripper with Stonelord is a bit unusual, but it doesn't work well together really.
Elegance: 2. You broke a cardinal rule of variants: using the variant and the original together in your build. This is actually called out as in-advised by UA. Further, you jump around a lot in the end levels.
Use of Stonelord: 3.5. Solid, decently thematic, and though not super synergistic, works well enough I think.

Total: 3. While I liked the EWM levels, and the Deepstone Sentinel, the use of a variant with the actual class REALLY cheesed me off, painfully so. It's a decent build, but getting a DM to approve it based on that one level would be damned difficult.

Old Lob Many-eyes
Power: 4. Having played a Dungeoncrasher recently, I can attest to their usefulness. Combining it with Meld Into Stone, and the combos you lay out, I can only see it getting stronger and stronger.
Originality: 5. Wow. I mean, damn. NEVER saw that coming, not at all I didn't. A were-snow spider? God damn dude, that just floored me.
Elegance: 4. It's slick and smooth. 16 levels, 2 RHD, 2 LA. Not hard to figure out really.
Use of Stonelord: 4.5. Given all the clever combos you line up here, Old Lob definitely has the best use I've seen of Stonelord's 10 crappy levels.

Total: 4.375. A good build, easily among my favorites I've seen yet in the Iron Chef.

Durin-Thur Stonehammer
Power: 4. You look fine power-wise. I can't imagine you are a bad combatant.
Originality: 3.5. Deepstone Sentinel is pretty common (already shown up once after all). Deepwarden is less so, so you score half a point for that.
Elegance: 2. I hate that jumping around in the level progression. Call me old-fashioned, but I hate doing it, I really do. :smallannoyed:
Use of Stonelord: 3.5. You wove it really well into the narrative, and though I usually only given passing points for such (preferring it has a nice bonus and giving .5 for it), I was rather impressed. Mechanically, it seems to work well enough.

Total: 3.25. A good solid build, with nothing to honestly make me leap out of my seat in joy, but nothing to bash on either.

Torar Stoneshield
Power: 4. Again with the ToB and the Deepstone Sentinel. It's fine mechanically.
Originality: 2.5. Deepstone Sentinel+Stonelord+Full BAB classes=\=font of creativity. Functionally excellent? Yeah. Creative? Naw. Happens though, given what you had to work with.
Elegance: 2.5. Now, I like the last 14 levels. The first 6 however, they're all just "let's jump around and get lots of cool powers", or at least that's how they seem to me. Also, RAW abuse? Really dude? For shame.
Use of Stonelord: 3. It's a good use of the class, if nothing to write home about.

Total: 3. Much like Bruingar Threehorns, it's a good build, but there are others I prefer both thematically and mechanically. It IS solid though, no doubt about it.

Munchy
Power: 3.5...?. Honestly, I'm confused on how to judge this. It's the only caster in the contest, but it's not a complete caster. It's probably better than most of the other entries, by virtue of spellcasting, but it's so hard to judge, that I'm just spitballing this score.
Originality: 4.5. Shugenja was NOT what I was expecting, not by a long shot. Earth Dreamer I was thinking we might see, but not Shugenja. Much like Old Lob, you threw me a curveball, and I like it.
Elegance: 4. You finish out Earth Dreamer, which is a plus. However... you also abuse Primary Contact to do so, which I am :smallannoyed: about. I dislike that style of cheese, but given the uniqueness of the build, I'm more prone to overlooking it.
Use of Stonelord: 3.5. Solid use, pairs well with Earth Dreamer and Shugenja, but there are better uses I think.

Total: 3.875. A really nice build. I'd personally play and enjoy it. I am disappointed by the lack of any plot at all, though.

Takar Varson
Power: 4. You rely on Wild Shape, a powerful ability, and one we've not yet seen. Looks good.
Originality: 4. The idea of a wild shaping master of the earth is a new one for me at least, and it looks to work well.
Elegance: 3. You jump around a lot in the level by level progression, which I instinctually dislike, but, it works out, so you don't mark down too far.
Use of Stonelord: 4.5. You use it well, combining it with Wild Shape to attack low saves, which is a fantastically clever idea. I think this is a near ideal usage of Stonelord.

Total: 3.875. This composite doesn't show my personal approval. I think he's a great build and concept, and would love to take him for a spin at some point (and this is coming from someone who HATES Wild Shape beyond all reason).

Personal Favorite: Old Lob Many-eyes. I still love the were-snow spider, it's too damn funny for words. Congrats man, I sincerely hope the other judges agree with my estimation of things, since I feel you really deserve to win this one.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-06, 02:38 PM
You see, that was what I was afraid of. The only thing I could think of to do would have been Warblade5/Stonelord10/Deepstone Sentinel 5 which would have not been too original...

Granted, I had some awesome synergy with Dragon's Teeth (for making stone) and Meld With Stone, to make your own hidey-holes... but still...

arguskos
2010-05-06, 05:04 PM
You see, that was what I was afraid of. The only thing I could think of to do would have been Warblade5/Stonelord10/Deepstone Sentinel 5 which would have not been too original...

Granted, I had some awesome synergy with Dragon's Teeth (for making stone) and Meld With Stone, to make your own hidey-holes... but still...
It's common, what can I say? I was expecting a lot of that, given how easy it is to figure out.

Now, what I WAS surprised to not see was more SLA abuse. We saw a build or two that were really focused on those SLAs (Old Lob comes to mind), but no one abused them hardcore. I know there are ways, there must be ways, but it didn't come up much.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-06, 05:08 PM
It's common, what can I say? I was expecting a lot of that, given how easy it is to figure out.

Now, what I WAS surprised to not see was more SLA abuse. We saw a build or two that were really focused on those SLAs (Old Lob comes to mind), but no one abused them hardcore. I know there are ways, there must be ways, but it didn't come up much.

how could you abuse SLA's? The only Stonelord ability which affects any casting only works on spells, and only once per day...

arguskos
2010-05-06, 05:15 PM
how could you abuse SLA's? The only Stonelord ability which affects any casting only works on spells, and only once per day...
No no, abuse the Stonelord's SLAs with feats/class features/items/etc. There are ways to abuse Spell-Like Abilities, and I was kinda expecting someone to do silly things with the SLAs Stonelord gives you.

Strategos
2010-05-06, 05:43 PM

Ah nuts.

I missed out on this one, I was too busy with other things and just needed to finish my background and "Character Concept" parts too.

Oh well, there's always next time I suppose.

Good luck to all the contestants! :smallbiggrin:

Just in case anyone's interested my build was a Changeling Paladin 3/Stoneblessed 3/Warshaper 3/Stonelord 10/Warshaper +1.

Cieyrin
2010-05-06, 06:37 PM
Bah, the closest to the earthiest Dwarf were Earth Dwarves? I was hoping for a real actual Urdunnir (Races of Faerun). Yeah, they have +4 LA but damn, they fit well with Stonelord, methinks. Plus, how can you not love the only race who has an NPC class (Expert) as their favored class? :smallbiggrin:

Akal Saris
2010-05-06, 06:58 PM
I stayed away from SLA abuse because one of the judges said he didn't want to see any :P I looked into it a little anyhow, but there wasn't a whole lot that I could find to abuse with them, since their CL was too low for empowering/quickening and most of the SLA's are really mediocre.

Sorry to hear that you weren't in this one Strategos - I had guessed that you were Torar Stoneshield, actually :P

Cieyrin: OMG. So Races of Faerun is where those were!!! An urdunnir library was the center of one of my old 2E campaigns in Undermountain, I love those guys. They looked so badass in the 2E monstrous compendium too!

Amphetryon
2010-05-06, 07:17 PM
Check the sidebar on page 6 of the XPH for another fun Dwarf option. :smallbiggrin:

Heliomance
2010-05-06, 10:20 PM
Just thought I'd point out that there are a couple of builds this time round that use flaws. Don't forget that's an automatic lost elegance point.

Overall, though, some stunning builds. Although there's one or two people that I think are breaking the anonymity of the contest simply by producing such high-quality builds every time that we can tellwho made them!

Private-Prinny
2010-05-06, 10:25 PM
O_o

That's a lot of entries... Well, here I go.

Belrid, One with the Stone
Originality: 4. I don't have much experience with MoI, so this was a bit of a curveball for me. It has a nice flavor, and the two Prestige Classes fit well thematically.
Power: 3.5. Totemist seems quite powerful, but I'm not sure what Stonelord does with it besides provide BAB. The only thing I can think of is a bit of Earth Power abuse with the Girallon Arms. You might've been better without the Stonelord levels, which means a lot in this competition.
Elegance: 3.5. The theming is nice, and I can see where a lot of stuff would fit, but I could use a bit more exposition on how you would use Stonelord. The random Fighter dip doesn't help.
Use of Stonelord: 2. I'm sorry, but you just don't provide any explanation for those levels. The class, which you only finished half of, seems like it was tacked on, especially with all of the emphasis that you put on your Soulmelds.

Final Composite Score: 3.25. I like the way you went, and a little more explanation would've gone a long way.

Note: Just a couple of minor nitpicks, but: Why 28PB instead of 32? How do you bind 7 soulmelds with 16 CON? How do you even hit level 20 when you're spending XP on crafting? All of these put together put you over the edge to lose another half-point in Elegance.

Grimshank, the Grim Gnome Shanker
Grimshank, the Grim Gnome Shanker, the one that every goblin knows. And if you ever saw him, he'd gut you from your head to toes... OK, I'm done.

Originality: 4. A goblin? Really? I have to say, that knocked me off balance. A lot of variety in this competition. Stonedeath Assassin actually complements Stonelord quite nicely, and this guy is nice to keep around if you're anywhere near a cave.
Power: 2.5. You said it yourself, this is where the build starts to lack. Maybe it's time to start piling bonuses on to that dagger? It doesn't look like you have any other equipment to make up for it. It's also a shame that you couldn't squeeze some sort of Dex -> Damage on there, as it would've helped immensely.
Elegance: 4.5. You take the Ranger levels for the free TWF, and then you jump right into the PrCs. You finish all three, moving straight from one into another, and the flavor just screams "Let's hope you meet this guy on the surface."
Use of Stonelord: 4. You grab all of the right abilities for your build, you use all ten levels, and it fits thematically. Earthgrip, Earth Shadows, and Earth Power all seem particularly important. However, I don't know why you felt the need to take all 10, since you never mention Earthquake and the elemental seems redundant with Earth Shadows. The late entry is excusable, but it doesn't help by any means.

Final Composite Score: 3.75. Overall a very inspired build that really caught me off guard. I wholeheartedly approve.

Bruingar Threehorns
Originality: 3. He's a Spiked Chain Tripper. I think we're all familiar with those. I'm actually surprised that it took until now to find someone with Deepstone Sentinel.
Power: 4. He gets a lot of help from that equipment, and you use the SLAs of the Stonelord to good effect. Combined with your feat choice and a couple of good Stone Dragon maneuvers, and you end up with a frightening melee combatant.
Elegance: 2. I'm sorry that I have to score that low, but it just looks... messy. It took me a bit to figure out what you were doing with that Fighter variant, which really says something. When you can't even figure out his levels, how can you look at anything else? The class choices start jumping around at level 13, and you don't really get stable progression back after that. Also, why you used 18 point-buy is beyond me.
Use of Stonelord: 4. I like the way you exploit the SLAs for use with the Spiked Chain. Every single one has an obvious place in the build. Couple that with some thematic classes and a very early entry, and you end up with a good use of a bad class.

Final Composite Score: 3.25. Overall, a very good build.

Old Lob Many-eyes
Originality: 5. My first thought was "WTF is a were-spider?" and it only got better from there. Dungeoncrasher variant Fighter is considered powerful, and you seem to crank that up to 11 with SLAs. Very unexpected, and very original.
Power: 4. He stays out of sight and nearly undetectable until he pops out and murders you. Honestly one of the scariest things I can even begin to imagine underground.
Elegance: 4. Use of LA is perfectly allowable, but it doesn't quite sit right with me. Everything blends well, and Lob is overall a very smooth build.
Use of Stonelord: 5. At first I thought this class was horrible. Now I think it's horrible with a very good niche. You mercilessly optimized one of the most harmless looking abilities into a horrifying tank of death. Throw on some Tremorsense and the SLAs, and you end up with a bull rushing machine. Simply amazing.

Final Composite Score: 4.5. I am in awe of this submission. I can't even put it into words. It is just... beautiful. *sheds single tear*

Durin-Thur, Stonehammer Lord of the Deepstone
Originality: 3. Honestly, this is right in line with exactly what I expected coming in here. A ToB base class followed up with Deepstone Sentinel just seems like the obvious pick.
Power: 3.5. You have maneuvers. That's kinda hard to screw up in the first place.
Elegance: 3. You jump around the classes a lot, and the last level of Crusader seems forced. You obviously don't value Smite, so why not take another level in something else? Other than that, everything is thematically appropriate.
Use of Stonelord: 3.5. I can think of a few ways to use the powers you chose, but your focus seems to be placed more on your maneuvers. Provide some exposition on combos next time, 'k?

Final Composite Score: 3.25 It's up to snuff, but nothing too spectacular.

Torar Stoneshield
Originality: 3. This marks the third Deepstone Sentinel build, and, given how obvious it is, should almost be expected. Still, you have some unexpected elements in there.
Power: 4. Impressive use of Earthquake and the elemental, although everything else was rather predictable. Maneuvers are hard to not benefit from.
Elegance: 2. The Fighter dip seems almost random, especially given that it's for Sneak Attack, which you make no mention of. The first few levels, rather than a proper appetizer, is more of a sporadic sampler plate. The last 14 levels are nice and smooth, however.
Use of Stonelord: 4. 9 levels worth gets you some nice abilities that blend well with Deepstone Sentinel, and you make full use of them. You also make sure to enter at an appropriate point. Good job.

Final Composite Score: 3.25. Right up there with everyone else. I don't really seem to have much variety to my scores...

Munchy, Gold Dwarf of Stone
Originality: 4. I thought Earth Dreamer might show up if someone wanted to use a caster, but I didn't think anyone would actually do it. Even at that, Shugenja is among the last of the casters I would actually expect anyone to pick.
Power: 3.5. By virtue of being a caster, you are already pretty powerful, but the lost progression means you lose out on a lot. You have a minor gish thing going, and it seems like it works. I just hope you milk BFC for all it's worth while hidden underground.
Elegance: 3. This may seem bad, but the flaws are really what killed you here. With two of them, the highest you can score here is a 4. Apart from that, you seem to suffer from a slight case of MAD.
Use of Stonelord: 3.5. Spell-like Ability abuse at its finest. 9 levels of it on a caster was fairly unexpected.

Final Composite Score: 3.5. Very solid. I like it.

Takar Varson
Originality: 4. This is the second build to use Ranger, but for a completely different purpose. I didn't think anyone would use Wild Shape, especially with the apparent Con-heavy trend.
Power: 4. You have Wild Shape. It's hard to go wrong once you have that.
Elegance: 3. Use of two flaws tanks your score in here. You also level Stonelord in short, inconsistent bursts. Deepwarden is probably a good choice with your high Con, but you may not even want to stay out of Wild Shape that long.
Use of Stonelord: 3.5 You take all 10 levels. Eventually. You also put a lot more focus on your Wild Shaping, and almost none on your respectable repertoire of Stone Powers. I would have liked to see more ideas, but at the very least you use Stonelord to do what your Wild Shapes cannot.

Final Composite Score: 3.625. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're very lucky to have slipped in past the deadline, or we would have lost such a great build.

Final comments: I am personally surprised to see such a diverse showing of class choices for Stonelord. My personal favorite is Lob, with Grimshank in second followed closely by Takar. Remember, even submitting a build at all in this competition is an accomplishment. You should all feel good about your placement. Even last place is better than having nothing to show. Good luck! :smallsmile:

Grynning
2010-05-07, 10:25 AM
Opening thoughts: First of all, I had most of these done last night, but I had to go to work before I could get them posted. I have intentionally not read the other judges' comments yet so as not to unduly influence my scores.

Second, let me commend all contestants for doing a pretty good job with a pretty terrible PrC. This was a great effort all around and enjoyed reading all the entries.

Finally, I was somewhat lenient on the "power" category for this contest, since stonelord is a pretty hefty nerf to a lot of builds. Well, here come the scores:

Belrid

Originality: 3.5 - Not entirely unpredictable, but gets a bump for being the only Incarnum using entry, and also the only one to wear the Dwarves traditional crafting hat.

Power: 3.5 - I've never bought MoI and I probably never will since 3.x is dead around here, so I have to assume you made the right picks on those abilities. Overall, seems like a pretty strong melee build, but not particularly versatile.

Elegance: 4 - pretty seamless transition between the various classes, no rules chicanery. A little light on flavor but what was there was good.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 2 - I know the PrC isn't that good, but you could have worked it in a little more. The Stonelord levels are just tossed in here because you had to; the build could've completely gone without them.

Overall: 13, Average: 3.25

Grimshank

Originality: 5 - Damn. A sneaky goblin Stonelord. That threw me for a loop, and it's really clever. Good job.

Power: 3 - He's good at hiding and skulking, and has a lot of tricks, but for an assassin, he's not so good at actually making things die. However, I won't be too harsh since we are working with a low-tier PrC and you worked hard to make the best of it.

Elegance: 4.5 - This seems like it would be hard to pull off, but you made it look pretty easy. Granted, gnome-hating dwarves aren't what you'd usually expect in a backstory, but hey, it's a cool bit of setting detail. The mechanics make perfect sense and at the end we have a very cool character.

Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3.5 - All 10 levels in there, and a good idea in using Stonelord's SLA's to help with your positioning for SA. The only reason this wasn't higher is that nothing really jumped out at me with the Stonelord levels.

Overall: 16, Average: 4

Bruingar

Originality: 2.5 - You said it yourself. Spiked Chain Tripper. Not much else to it.

Power: 3
See above. Nothing wrong with this build as a melee frontliner, but still a low tier 4 until it's level 17, which is a bit late.

Elegance: 2.5 - I've never deducted points for formatting before, but this time I had to. This was really hard to read. Story seemed good overall, I just got headaches trying to get through it with the weird spacing and the grammatical errors.
Also, what's with sticking the ToB stuff at the very end of the build? I would've worked them in earlier so they'd have been more relevant.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3
Relies on Stonelord pretty heavily for most of the build, and uses all the levels, but doesn't make the most of it like some of the other builds.

Overall: 11, Average: 2.75

Old Lob

Originality: 5 - Simply awesome idea. I can picture this creepy half-dwarf/half-spider in my head, and I love it.

Power: 4 - Dungeoncrasher is great for underground warriors and I'm surprised we didn't see more of it. Good synergy with spideriness and Stonelord movement enhancing abilities.

Elegance: 4 - You did a good job making being a were-spider part of the character and not just a cheesy power-template. The backstory setup was really good, I love that he's both a local horror story and a defender of his community.
Mechanically, this has the simplest class combo with one of the best results. Lost points for 1 thing - FR regional feat, which is of dubious legality at some tables (though this one's certainly not OP, some DM's would still say no).

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4 - Can't argue here. Using the abilities to make things to SMASH PEOPLE INTO is awesome. Great job.

Overall: 17, Average: 4.25

Durin-Thur

Originality: 3 - This is a pretty predictable class combo, but the excellent story behind it brought it up.

Power: 4.5 - Best optimization in this bunch. ToB, Deepwarden, good options and damage output all around.

Elegance: 5 - GREAT story, with every class level worked in beautifully. No weird tricks or anything I could find that was out of place (the variant on the "ritual" was far more creative than it was questionable, IMO). This character would be welcomed at my table and by any group who understands the coolness of ToB.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4.5 - Makes the best use of the synergy between the multiple Dwarfy classes, and makes Stonelord actually look pretty damn good.

Overall: 17, Average: 4.25

Torar

Originality: 3.5 - Similar to some of the other builds, but with a few variations on the theme, like Warlock and Barbarian.

Power: 4 - Can definitely hold his own, and won't slow a party down at all.

Elegance: 2.5 - A bit too dip-heavy, and Deepstone Sentinel comes a bit late, IMO. This character would only really be good in a higher-level game. The lack of any story doesn't help either.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4 - Does a great job of bringing together Stonelord's powers with good melee classes, though again, a lot of the goodness comes late in the build.

Overall: 14, Average: 3.5

Munchy

Originality: 4 - Didn't expect to see a Shugenja, that's for sure. I'd never even looked at Earth Dreamer before. Nice surprise.

Power: 2.5 - Unfortunately, the reason I didn't expect casters is that Stonelord makes for a very weak gish. This guy wouldn't be terrible in a low to mid-optimization party, but trying to melee with this dude seems like a bad plan.

Elegance: 3.5 - Some story/fluff would have really helped here.
Pretty straightforward build mechanically, and would be pretty easy to drop into most campaigns. 1/2 point deducted for use of flaws and some early entry shenanigans.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3 - This was hard to call - I didn't have detailed tactics to see how you were synergizing the SLAs with your Shugenja casting. Does include 9 levels and needs the BAB for the gish concept, so that's what I based this on.

Overall: 13, Average: 3.25

Takar

Originality: 3 - Ranger/Deepwarden isn't where most people went in this contest, but I fully expected it.

Power: 3.5 - He turns into animals and beats people up. Uses the Stonelord SLA's for backup. Not bad.

Elegance: 4 - A quick but fun little backstory that works the class levels in nicely, and a very straightforward build.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3.5 - Finishes the PrC and makes pretty good use of it, though a lot of the focus is still on the other classes in the build.

Overall: 14, Average: 3.5

Pechvarry
2010-05-07, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling Munchy is actually one of the more potent builds in actual play by virtue of having spells, but unfortunately I feel compelled to point out that I have no idea how he has Arcane Disciple. Shugenjas are divine casters.

arguskos
2010-05-07, 02:16 PM
I have a feeling Munchy is actually one of the more potent builds in actual play by virtue of having spells, but unfortunately I feel compelled to point out that I have no idea how he has Arcane Disciple. Shugenjas are divine casters.
The probability is that the maker of Munchy didn't read the entire feat, and just read the short description in the table, where is doesn't mention that you need to cast arcane spells.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-07, 02:54 PM
I find it odd that in the competition with the single worst secret ingredient so far, we get more entries than any other.

Akal Saris
2010-05-07, 04:17 PM
Well, I look at it this way:
Iron chef 1: Not too many people come through at the end, and there was a wide variety in levels of preparation. Kind of a trial run almost.
Iron chef 2: Psionics might have scared some people off.
Iron chef 3: Cancer Mage is kind of gross and in a slightly obscure book, but we still got several entries
Iron chef 4: Back to a common supplement, and it's pretty fun to pile on tons of dwarf themed stuff and see what comes out, plus the challenges have been around for a while so people know what they're getting in to. And with such a terrible ingredient, maybe people felt like there was less pressure to build something insanely powerful, since everyone's builds were going to suck anyhow.

That's my guess, anyhow. I was really pleasantly surprised to see so many people this time around though. Sorry you judges had all the extra work :smalltongue:

the humanity
2010-05-07, 04:29 PM
it's too much work judging and trying to come up with specific builds. I'm content with watching I think, unless I see something popping in my head for the next build.

maybe for the next one, instead of the standard prestige class, 3 feats have to be taken. I could think that could be interesting. (ex. Vatic Gaze, Weapon Finesse, and Mage Slayer). just a thought, it need not be considered for this competition to be cool.

that Grimshank guy really impressed me.

arguskos
2010-05-07, 04:46 PM
the humanity, the Iron Chef is not new to this forum. It originated on... BrilliantGameologists, I believe? They've always been about prestige classes, and honestly, I'd prefer to see them stay that way. :smallwink:

Private-Prinny
2010-05-07, 06:15 PM
I actually have a couple of ideas for underused PrCs that could use some love.

Heliomance
2010-05-07, 06:57 PM
PM me with your ideas, you never know, some might get in. I've got a few plans for classes I'm going to run, but if someone points out a class that I hadn't noticed that needs more love, I might just run it.

Note: I'm not planning to put up any PrC with less than 10 levels. You need that for it to be able to be the focus of a build, really. Which is a shame, in some ways - I'd kinda like to see a contest for Fortune's Friend, among others.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-07, 07:03 PM
Note: I'm not planning to put up any PrC with less than 10 levels. You need that for it to be able to be the focus of a build, really. Which is a shame, in some ways - I'd kinda like to see a contest for Fortune's Friend, among others.

Incidentally, that was near the top of my list.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-07, 07:09 PM
As an aside, could the judges not abandon the thread after judging is over? I have an earlier character draft I abandoned during cooking I'd like feedback on. I abandoned it when I realized that: 1) the template I wanted to use was errataed from LA3 to LA5 with the 3e => 3.5 update (actually, I was just reading the wrong entry in the update book, but I just realized that), 2) rebuilding rules in PHBII, which I needed, might not be kosher for the competition.

Eldonauran
2010-05-07, 07:28 PM
Bloody hell. I got too busy and forgot to finish out my build. :smallsigh:

Ah well, it was going to be:

Dream Dwarf
Totemist 4 (didn't someone else use this too?)
Barbarian 3 (using UA variant chaining to get Monk stuff and maybe animal wildshape, + pounce, of course)
Fist of the Forest 3
Deep Warden 2
Stonelord 10

I was going to take advantage of Whirling Frenzy variant, FotF Frenzy, Girallion Arms, unarmed strikes, Cobalt Rage and Charge + Stone Power to unleash a whilrwind of death. Surprise!

Was going to go for the feral (wild) dwarf that chooses to live on the outskirts of dwarven cities (typically underground, natural caves, etc) and scout for interlopers and other general unwanted enemies.

Ah well, too late. Loved the other builds though.

I was torn between taking Barbarian and getting things through UA variant chaining, so I could get spirit lion totem pounce, or sticking with Druid and likewise chaining to get the abilities, relying on totemist to get me pounce via soulmeld. In the end, I realised I would either need to take 5 levels of Druid and lose out on 3 levels on stonelord to pull that off. Stuck with barbarian and saved a feat to unlock a chakra at the cost of spells. :smallannoyed:

Akal Saris
2010-05-07, 07:50 PM
Heh...that sounds like an awesome build Eldonaun, though one of the other contestants also went totemist. And if I were you, I'd have serious questions about why you were taking Stonelord over Totem rager =P

Heliomance, I'll PM you with some suggestions for prestige classes that I wish got more attention.

Ingus
2010-05-08, 12:05 PM
Talking only for me, I didn't know there was this competition. I've spotted it surfing around the web seeking tips for cancer mage. :smallwink:

Grynning
2010-05-08, 12:37 PM
I was going to suggest maybe doing a 180 and using a really, really good PrC for one challenge as a special thing. Just like on the real Iron Chef, sometimes you get weird stuff, but sometimes you get beef or tuna.

Cieyrin
2010-05-08, 01:37 PM
Granted, gnome-hating dwarves aren't what you'd usually expect in a backstory, but hey, it's a cool bit of setting detail.

Gnome-hating Dwarves could easily be Duergar, as they don't exactly get on with the Svirfneblin, the local deep variations of said races. :smalltongue:

Regardless, I see no fault with your judging, I just thought I'd point that out.:smallsmile:

Also, I'd venture that if I'd had the time and inspiration, I'd have put forth some sort of Urdunnir Swordsage/Stonelord as a Mole-type build, using their Earth Glide type abilities to pop in and out with impunity, though I'd need to see about some detection abilities, something like Old Lob, I suspect.

Amphetryon
2010-05-08, 04:19 PM
How many more judges have yet to report?

FishAreWet
2010-05-08, 06:26 PM
Was going to build a Earth Dwarf Half Earth Elemental 3/Ranger 5/Stonelord 7/ Slime Lord 5 but ran out of time. He was also going to be a dwarf slayer. And was going to use sacrifices from BoVD.

arguskos
2010-05-08, 06:28 PM
Was going to build a Earth Dwarf Half Earth Elemental 3/Ranger 5/Stonelord 7/ Slime Lord 5 but ran out of time. He was also going to be a dwarf slayer. And was going to use sacrifices from BoVD.
waitwut

YOU DIDN'T DEVOTE MORE LIFE TO THAT?! :smallfurious::smalltongue: Dude!! If well produced, that would almost certainly have swept the competition in my eyes. I am genuinely saddened that I will not get to see that full fleshed out.

FishAreWet
2010-05-08, 06:33 PM
Finals week. :smalleek: I thought I had a Word Document saved of it but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

arguskos
2010-05-08, 06:34 PM
Finals week. :smalleek: I thought I had a Word Document saved of it but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Whaps with a rolled up newspaper Bad Fish, bad! Finals are not as important as the Iron Chef! :smalltongue:

Disclaimer: This is not actually true, ignore finals at your own peril, etcetcetcyadayadayada.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-08, 06:37 PM
As long as we're telling everyone what we thought about making I strongly considered a duergar psywarrior but I couldn't get over the wouldn't psiwarrior 20 or psiwarior with a earthy fullcaster PrC adapted to psionics represent this character a million times better factor.

Tht's a real pet peave of mine when I look over some entries. I be at least 90% as good as more levels of my main base class or best other PrC.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-08, 10:51 PM
waitwut

YOU DIDN'T DEVOTE MORE LIFE TO THAT?! :smallfurious::smalltongue: Dude!! If well produced, that would almost certainly have swept the competition in my eyes. I am genuinely saddened that I will not get to see that full fleshed out.

Half earth elemental was actually the template I abandoned because I misread the LA in the update Errata (I was actually looking at the changes for an earth elemental creature).

As a side note, I would encourage anyone actually interested in taking Stonelord to look at the template instead. Excepting the couple levels of early access to Earthquake, its at least as powerful and has a far lower opportunity cost.

As long as we're telling everyone what we thought about making I strongly considered a duergar psywarrior but I couldn't get over the wouldn't psiwarrior 20 or psiwarior with a earthy fullcaster PrC adapted to psionics represent this character a million times better factor.

Tht's a real pet peave of mine when I look over some entries. I be at least 90% as good as more levels of my main base class or best other PrC.

I agree, but that's going to be true for anything with more than about 4 levels of Stonelord, and that's being generous. It's not, in fact, clear to me that at equal levels of optimization, Stonelord 10 isn't worse than fighter 10.

(That said, Stonelord is an easy fix. You can simply increase the uses/day of the SLAs or move most of them to per encounter.)

arguskos
2010-05-08, 11:13 PM
As a side note, I would encourage anyone actually interested in taking Stonelord to look at the template instead. Excepting the couple levels of early access to Earthquake, its at least as powerful and has a far lower opportunity cost.
Templates are harder to get past DMs though, making them a slight elegance hit in most cases, save when it's just so beautiful you can't help but love it (Old Lob).

I agree, but that's going to be true for anything with more than about 4 levels of Stonelord, and that's being generous. It's not, in fact, clear to me that at equal levels of optimization, Stonelord 10 isn't worse than fighter 10.

(That said, Stonelord is an easy fix. You can simply increase the uses/day of the SLAs or move most of them to per encounter.)
You know, I actually dispute that. Stonelord is better than Fighter, since you get stuff the Fighter can't replicate, like Earthquake and elemental summoning. Now, in most other ways, Fighter at worst gives Stonelord a run for it's money, and at best beats the pants off it. This is saaaaaaaaad.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-08, 11:44 PM
Templates are harder to get past DMs though, making them a slight elegance hit in most cases, save when it's just so beautiful you can't help but love it (Old Lob).

You know, I actually dispute that. Stonelord is better than Fighter, since you get stuff the Fighter can't replicate, like Earthquake and elemental summoning. Now, in most other ways, Fighter at worst gives Stonelord a run for it's money, and at best beats the pants off it. This is saaaaaaaaad.

And really, just those two. Every other ability is easily replicated through magic items. So you're trading 4-5 fighter feats for 2 1/day SLAs.

arguskos
2010-05-08, 11:51 PM
And really, just those two. Every other ability is easily replicated through magic items. So you're trading 4-5 fighter feats for 2 1/day SLAs.
Yeah, well, uh... :smalltongue:. Take that. :smalltongue:

Ok, I got nothin'. I still like Stonelord MORE, but yeah, logistically, it's probably an even fight at best.

Critical
2010-05-09, 06:48 AM
Yeah, well, uh... :smalltongue:. Take that. :smalltongue:

Ok, I got nothin'. I still like Stonelord MORE, but yeah, logistically, it's probably an even fight at best.

No, straight Fighter is better by far. :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2010-05-09, 09:30 PM
OK, here goes my judging...sorry it's late, finals are pressing in...

Belrid:
Power: 4. You're a totemist, and ironsoul forgemaster is a nice class as well. You won't suffer in combat.
Originality: 4. I was not suspecting a totemist, and the ironsoul forgemaster is a nice dwarfy touch that was also unsuspected.
Elegance: 2. You didn't give any feats. Additionally, Endurance can't be gotten with a fighter bonus feat.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2. You only used 5 levels, and, really, they didn't impact your build. At all.
Composite: 3

Grimshank:
Power: 2.5. You said it yourself, this build cannot deal the typical damage necessary in high level games.
Originality: 4.5. I'd expected someone to use Stoneblessed, but this caught me completely by surprise. Congrats.
Elegance: 4. This would have been a 5, except you didn't quite give a reason for Grimshank working with dwarves aside from their mutual hatred of gnomes. Doesn't quite cut it...
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3.5. You have 10 levels...but they don't really contribute that much to your overall build.
Composite: 3.875

Bruingar:
Power: 3.5. You're a spiked chain tripper. You won't really be lacking in power too much.
Originality: 2. ...Again, spiked chain tripper.
Elegance: 3...you can't have fighter and variant fighter in the same build.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 4. You have 10 levels and a some good strategies.
Composite: 3.125

Old Lob:
Power: 4. Dungeoncrashers are scary. Not to mention one with lots of extra combat options.
Originality: 5. Just, 5. No questions asked.
Elegance: 4. Everything was good except the fact that Were-Spider would be unlikely to be allowed in many campaigns...
UotSI: 5. It is absolutely essential to the build.
Composite: 4.5

Durin:
Power: 4. You combined some good PrCs to make a build that can hold its own in combat.
Originality: 2. You used Crusader, the obvious choice, and multiple Dwarf only PrCs.
Elegance: 4. I liked the backstory, and the combination of classes worked well.
UotSI: 1. You only put 3 levels in, and it does absolutely nothing for the build.
Composite: 2.875

Torar:
Power: 3. This character has good general melee skills, though isn't anything too special.
Originality: 4. Warlock?? I like to use Warlock in my melee builds, but I did NOT see this coming in the dorfiest of dorfs prestige class.
Elegance: 2. This build had a lot of early multiclassing and no story.
UotSI: 4. You managed to fit in 9 levels, and you have a few good strategies.
Composite: 3.125

Munchy:
Power: 4. You get 5th level spells, 'nuff said.
Originality: 4. You used a Shugena, which is a nice entrance.
Elegance: 2. You had flaws and no story.
UotSI: 2. Stonelord adds NOTHING to this build. Just go with more Shugena or some divine gish.
Composite: 3

Takar:
Power: 2.5. I don't really see this ending up working out too well...
Originality: 4. WS Ranger is a cool entry, though you did use Deepwarden :smallfrown:
Elegance: 1. The whole thing doesn't work together very well. Additionally, you used flaws and had very little story.
UotSI: 3. You gain very little from Stonelord, though you did manage 10 levels...
Composite: 2.625

Grynning
2010-05-09, 11:36 PM
Durin:

UotSI: 1. You only put 3 levels in, and it does absolutely nothing for the build.

Dunno if it would have affected your scoring in any way, but Durin actually had 7 levels of Stonelord. Just pointing it out.

Akal Saris
2010-05-10, 12:11 AM
Ugh...here I am at 1am, 8 pages into a 25pg paper due in 23 hours =/ Finals are definitely pressing in...

Stupid Japan and your stupid foreign policy, this is the 4th paper I've had to write on it in 3 months, and that's not counting the 3 policy memos. :smallsigh:

Also, 2 judges left to go: volthawk and 9mm.

Vistol
2010-05-10, 09:37 AM
Just wanted to say I love reading these threads, many thanks to all who contribute.

Greenish
2010-05-10, 09:40 AM
Just wanted to say I love reading these threads, many thanks to all who contribute.I concur, those builds were awesome.

Any change we'll see core PrCs in the future? I'd love to see what people can do to an Assassin.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-10, 11:32 AM
I think Assassin would be a bad choice because it was a poor attempt at making a be all end all class for a archetype and it fails horribly at it. It can be easily outdone at assassinating by innumerable builds including rogue 20. Also it's prereqs require you to join an assassin's guild so the flavor of characters would be highly restricted as well.

Amphetryon
2010-05-10, 11:41 AM
I think Assassin would be a bad choice because it was a poor attempt at making a be all end all class for a archetype and it fails horribly at it. It can be easily outdone at assassinating by innumerable builds. Also it's prereqs require you to join an assassin's guild so the flavor of characters would be highly restricted as well.

This. Ghost-Faced Killer is a better Assassin, and it's not an especially good or popular class.

Heliomance
2010-05-12, 06:32 PM
Seems ironic that the contest with the most chef participation so far should have the least judge activity.

Ingus
2010-05-12, 06:50 PM
I guess the number of chefs has made the judge call more difficult and maybe boring

Private-Prinny
2010-05-12, 07:06 PM
Seems ironic that the contest with the most chef participation so far should have the least judge activity.

Well, I've already posted my scores, so I have nothing to feel bad about. :smallwink:
So far, the standings are:

1st: Old Lob, with 4.40625.
2nd: Grimshank, with 3.875.
3rd: Durin-Thur, Munchy, and Takar, with 3.40625.
4th: Torar and Belrid, with 3.21875.
5th: Bruingar, with 3.03125.

So far it looks like a decisive win for Old Lob, with Grimshank holding on tightly to that second place lead.

9mm
2010-05-12, 09:55 PM

been busy; and once again I'd mostly give base line scores due to people not explaining things past a back-story, though from what I've seen old lob would get highest marks.

Greenish
2010-05-13, 04:22 AM
I think Assassin would be a bad choice because it was a poor attempt at making a be all end all class for a archetype and it fails horribly at it. It can be easily outdone at assassinating by innumerable builds including rogue 20. Also it's prereqs require you to join an assassin's guild so the flavor of characters would be highly restricted as well.That's why I'm interested in seeing what people could do with it. Stonelord is dwarf only, but that didn't seem to restrict the backgrounds much. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-05-13, 01:34 PM
That's why I'm interested in seeing what people could do with it. Stonelord is dwarf only, but that didn't seem to restrict the backgrounds much. :smallbiggrin:
Honestly, I agree. Assassin would be a good one.

Akal Saris
2010-05-13, 02:02 PM
I'd be up for assassin. My only quibble is that there's maybe a dozen Death Attack PrCs, and most of the others are way cooler than assassin. Strifelord, Black Dog, Telflammar Shadowlord, and Stonedeath Assassin (like Grimshank!), are all really well done PrCs with death attack. On the upside, assassin means poison use, which is always fun :smallbiggrin:

Shall we give the last judge 1 more day, then close this one up on Friday and start the next challenge?

arguskos
2010-05-13, 02:12 PM
I'd be up for assassin. My only quibble is that there's maybe a dozen Death Attack PrCs, and most of the others are way cooler than assassin. Strifelord, Black Dog, Telflammar Shadowlord, and Stonedeath Assassin (like Grimshank!), are all really well done PrCs with death attack. On the upside, assassin means poison use, which is always fun :smallbiggrin:

Shall we give the last judge 1 more day, then close this one up on Friday and start the next challenge?
We have a serious winner. I'd like to see a contest around Shadowlord, cause, uh, Telflammar Shadowlord is AWESOME AND AMAZING AND SOME OTHER GREAT WORDS. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-05-13, 02:12 PM
I'd be up for assassin. My only quibble is that there's maybe a dozen Death Attack PrCs, and most of the others are way cooler than assassin. Strifelord, Black Dog, Telflammar Shadowlord, and Stonedeath Assassin (like Grimshank!), are all really well done PrCs with death attack.It's supposed to be a challenge. :smallwink:

What can the cooks do to make an interesting dish out of meat and potatoes?
Let's find out!

Heliomance
2010-05-14, 05:46 PM
Any objections to closing this tonight then? It doesn't look like our remaining judges are going to turn up.

arguskos
2010-05-14, 06:06 PM
Any objections to closing this tonight then? It doesn't look like our remaining judges are going to turn up.
Been waitin' to see who turned in Old Nob anyhow. :smallcool:

Critical
2010-05-14, 06:30 PM
Been waitin' to see who turned in Old Nob anyhow. :smallcool:

I bet it's Akal Saris. :smallbiggrin:

Private-Prinny
2010-05-14, 06:39 PM
I bet it's Akal Saris. :smallbiggrin:

Akal said he was staying away from SLA abuse, though. Still, it's probably either him or BooNL. They always do good work.

Heliomance
2010-05-14, 06:54 PM
Well, assuming Prinny's sums are right, we have:

1st: Akal Saris's Old Lob
2nd: Chineselegolas's Grimshank
=3rd: Hand_of_Vecna's Durin-Thur
=3rd: Amphetryon's Munchy
=3rd: Ozymandias9's Takar
=6th: Critical's Torar
=6th: Gralamin's Belrid, with a special mention for submitting about four hours after the secret ingedient was announced!
8th: Ingus's Bruingar

Congratulations to Akal Saris and Chineselegolas, our winners!

Incidentally, am I the only one that thinks those ridiculously long decimal scores are ugly? Why not give a total instead of an average?

arguskos
2010-05-14, 07:04 PM
Incidentally, am I the only one that thinks those ridiculously long decimal scores are ugly? Why not give a total instead of an average?
I like precise averages, and am gonna keep giving them. :smalltongue:

Private-Prinny
2010-05-14, 08:39 PM
Akal, you need to stop being amazing. Let someone else win.:smalltongue:

Ozymandias9
2010-05-14, 11:23 PM
First of, thanks for judging. And thanks to the other contestants for participation. And thanks, of course, to the illustrious chairman. All the builds were impressive, though to echo the judges, Old Lob was amazing.

I think, under the circumstances of my late submission, that it was probably obvious which entry was mine. But there have still been a couple of points with the judges that I've not responded to and questions I have for them that I've not asked just in case.

To start, I think that Olo's critiques of Takar, particularly in use of ingredient and elegance, were probably the most on of the judges. This build simply wan't as polished as it should have been, and I apologize for that. A couple of the judges did seem to read fairly well into the intent I had for the build (even when I forgot to present some things) and I thank them for that.

On originality, I think everyone over-scored me. This build is basically a standard wild shape build for a dwarf with Stonelord 10 tacked on. (In particular, one of the judges made mention of Deepwarden in conjunction with being out of form. Deepwarden 2 is a mainstay of Wild Shape for a dwarf because Stone Warden {Con to AC} works in wild shape, and wild shapes tend to have high con.)

Realistically, this could have been more effective with more WS ranger and only 4-6 levels of stone lord.

So, some questions for the judges if they have time (or other spectators that have opinions):
I took 2 flaws at for three feats at level one. These were all used for the Earth Mastery line, which fit thematically but is fairly lackluster for 3 feats. How would you have scored if I took Nemesis (BoED- a generally superior single feat) instead? How would you have scored if I pointed out that the flaws were taken merely to make room for the thematic feats?

Earlier on, I was considering a lower powered build with the same basic entry, but with a very different twist:

Earlier Draft:
Takar, the flowing stone
The basis of this build is use of alternate wild shape options to create a humanoid stone statue with lots of natural attacks and SLAs.

However, in order to fit in Stonelord 9, I had to do a LA buyout of 2 (ending at ECL 18) and a rebuild at 10 (PHBII) substituting 2 levels of nature's warrior for WS ranger to keep wild shape qualification. It's probably worth noting that the rebuild comes at the same level as Stonelord entry, providing a good option to bundle the quest and the special entry requirements.

Class and Feat Selection by Level
{table=head]ECL|Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Feats|Class|Template
1|0|
Half-Earth Elemental Template|
-|
-|
-|
-|-|-| Outsider (Earth), Natural Armor +3, Str +4, Dex -2, Con+4

2|1|
Ranger (UA Wild Shape Variant)|
1|
2|
2|
0|Nemesis| Fast Movement, Favored Enemy: Humanoid (Dwarves), Track, Wild Empathy| Magic Stone (1/day)

3|2|
Rgr 2|
2|
3|
3|
0|-|-|-

4|3|
Rgr 3|
3|
3|
3|
1| Power Attack | Endurance | Soften Earth/Stone (1/day)

5|4|
Nature's Warrior 1|
4|
5|
3|
1| - | Wilding, Nature's Armament: Claws of the Grizzly | -

6|5|
NW 2|
5|
6|
3|
1| - | Wild Shape (1) | Stone Shape (1/day)

7|6|
NW 3|
6/1|
6|
4|
2| Stone Form | Wild Shape (2), Nature's Armament: Nature's Weapon| -

8|7|
Warshaper 1|
6/1|
8|
4|
2| - | Morphic Immunities, Morphic Weapons| Stone Spikes (1/day)

9|8|
Ws 2|
7/2|
9|
5|
3| - | Morphic Body | -

10|9|
Stonelord 1|
8/3|
11|
5|
3| Multiattack | Earth's Blood | Wall of Stone (1/day)

11|10|
Sl 2|
9/4|
12|
5|
3| - | Stone Power: Earth Grip | -

12|11|
Sl 3|
10/5|
12|
6|
4| - | Stone Shape (1/day) | Stone Skin (1/day)

13|12|
Sl 4|
11/6/1|
13|
6|
4| Lion's Pounce | Stone Power: Summon Earth Elemental| -

14|13|
Sl 5|
12/7/2|
13|
6|
4| - | Meld into Stone (1/day) | Earthquake (1/day)

15|14|
Sl 6|
13/8/3|
14|
7|
5| - | Stone Power: Gravity| -

16|15|
Sl 7|
14/9/4|
14|
7|
5| Extra Wild Shape | Stone Tell (1/day) | Iron Body (1/day)

17|16|
Sl 8|
15/10/5|
15|
7|
5| - | Stone Power: Earth Shadows | -

18|17|
Sl 9|
16/11/6/1|
15|
8|
6| - | Earthquake (1/day) | Elemental Swarm (Earth Subtype, 1/day)
[/table]

After level 5, Takar also has 0 first level ranger spells per day, gaining bonus spells from wisdom (probably a singular spell)

Feat, and Ability Details
Nemesis: Aware of the Location of all favored enemies within 60 yards. Can pinpoint. +1d6 Damage against evil favored enemies
Wilding: Nature's Warrior Levels stack with Druid levels (or in this case, ranger levels) to determine duration, HD, and uses per day for Wild Shape
Nature's Armament: Claws of the Grizzly: All Natural attacks you make gain +3 damage
Nature's Armament: Nature's Weapon: All Natural attacks gain +1 to hit and are treated as magical
Morphic Immunities: Immune to Stunning and Critical Hits
Morphic Weapons: Can grow natural weapons as a move action to grant a natural attack, or increase the size of relevant natural weapons
Morphic Body: +4 Str, +4 Con
Lion's Pounce: By expending a daily use of wild shape, you may make a full attack at the end of a charge
Stone Form: +4 Natural Armor, +4 Saves vs Poison, Slam attack dealing Bludgeoning damage as Morningstar of appropriate size

On Stone Form: Because the basic shape of this ability is still humanoid, it can be used with standard gear (though a persnickety DM might make you strip first). Duration is not actually specified, but assuming that it uses the standard wild shape duration, it should be trivial to remain in this form for almost all of the day by mid levels.

On Stonelord SLAs-- Earth Shadows is taken because it's class levels per day, which should make it win out over Earth Power in conjunction with Power Attack. After grabbing Hold Person, Slow, and the elemental, that makes it the best choice for a 4th.

On Nemesis: as stated above, the earth mastery line of feats provides a reasonable simulacrum of this effect with more thematic flavor, but requires two flaws not to cripple the build.

Important Magic Items and Natural Weapon Selection
Beast Claws: Grant claw attacks of 1d4, or if you already have a claw attack add 1d6 to them. Also function as +1 or +2 spiked gauntlets (and thus negate the question of whether you can make a claw attack while holding a manufactured weapon).
Greater Ring or Draconic Zeal: 1/day, make a standard attack against 6 adjacent enemies
Ring of Draconic Zeal: 1/day, make a standard attack against 3 adjacent enemies (switch once Greater used)
Ring of Earth Elemental Command: Even more earth themed SLAs
Tailbands of Impact: Secondary tail attack takes strength modifiers as primary tail attack. primary tail attack takes 1 1/2 strength modifier.
Amulet of Mighty Fists+5: All Natural attacks are treated as +5 weapons
Druid's Vest: one additional use of Wild Shape
Wildshape Amulet: Wild Shape as 4 levels higher (4/day, 10 hours/use)
Wand of Greater Mighty Wallop (CL 12) or another method of access (moves Slam to 6d6 and Tail to 4d6)

One of the amulets will need to be customized to a different slot. Dragon magazine has a more or less straight port of the Wildshape Amulet to a cape (lower cost but with a Cha skill penalty). If it must be customized to the chest slot (which has the affinity for class features), it is FAR more important than the Druid's Vest. If you absolutely have to choose between the amulets, wildshape amulet is better.

If Greater Mighty Wallop is active only on the Slam attack (or not at all), the Morphic Weapon Class feature should be used to gain a claw attack, thus causing Beast Claws to grant an additional 1d6 damage per claw attack.
If Greater Mighty Wallop is also available on a second weapon, it should be used to gain a tail attack, which should be augmented with GMW and Tailbands of Impact.

The Rings of Draconic Zeal should be used in conjunction with the Slam attack, augmented by GMW (or, if unavailable, Morphic Weapon)

It should be noted that, depending on the campaign, there may be a more advantageous option than Lion's Pounce. CD has one that gives flight and one that gives speed. YMMV.

Stats modifiers before leveling bonuses, items, and inherent bonuses:
+8 Str (4 template, 4 class)
-2 Dex (template)
+10 con (2 racial, 4 template, 4 class)

In all honestly, this is probably a lower end tier 3 build. I think that would likely be appropriate for a campaign where Stonelord is on the table. It will, however, need UMD for GMWallop; as such some cheese is available on the menu.

Stonelord actually brings a fair bit to this build- it's got about 1/2 of the direct combat SLAs. But if you don't need quite that much SLA oomph (be it for flavor or because of the power level of the table), you can drop in a couple more levels of Warshaper, which will give all your natural weapons 5' reach and give you the ability to heal yourself by making a concentration check (both useful without being particularly powerful). At some point, con scaling may also make Deepwarden 2 a better option than standard armor. Monk 1 is a bit more restrictive thematically (if you stick to the provided fluff), but is also fairly useful for the mundane attack side of the build.

Edited for fuller presentation of earlier draft.

Akal Saris
2010-05-14, 11:37 PM
Heh...thanks for the congratulations and thanks to the judges and to Helio as well :smallbiggrin:

Grimshank coming from Chineselegolas was a pretty big surprise to me though. His Maiyr got a pretty harsh ranking in the last competition for the lack of explanation, so I'm very glad to see he did so well with Grimshank, who was my favorite among the competition.

Durin-thur also wowed me with his presentation though, especially since the rest of us all pretty much ignored the ritual that it took to enter Stonelord. And I think Ozymandias9 deserves credit for noticing the Con synergy between wildshape, deepwarden, and Stonelord - that was a clever way to bump the SLA's DCs way up. I just noticed your second post when I hit preview - I liked the original build more than the variant personally. On a sidenote, I'm sorry to see that Strategos and BooNL didn't enter this one :(

By the way, Strategos, did you come through with another awesome trophy for us? *hopeful puppy eyes*

Anyhow, that was fun, let's start the next one!!

Heliomance
2010-05-15, 04:34 AM
There are trophies for this. I've seen the blanks, just waiting on them getting engraved!

Critical
2010-05-15, 07:16 AM
Thanks everyone, that was a fun experience. Thumb up to Akal Saris's Old Lob, that was a great entry and it totally deserves first place. Now that I have got a feel of this challenge and I understand how it should be done, I think I will do better in the next one. :smallwink:

Amphetryon
2010-05-15, 07:58 AM
Well done, everyone.

Congratulations, Akal. Great concept, well executed.

I'll try to find more time to add in the backstory for the next competition, now that finals are out of the way. Hopefully that will improve my showing from 3rd place. :smallsmile:

Ingus
2010-05-15, 12:53 PM
Now, after the disclosure, I can finally apologize for the ugly format of Bruingar. Sorry to everybody and to the judges: word screwed it up and I don't know why

Heliomance
2010-05-16, 04:02 AM
Once again, congratulations to Akal Saris in first place:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/StonelordTrophyAkalSaris.png

and Chineselegolas in second!
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/StonelordTrophyChineselegolas.png

Chineselegolas
2010-05-16, 04:46 AM
Grimshank coming from Chineselegolas was a pretty big surprise to me though. His Maiyr got a pretty harsh ranking in the last competition for the lack of explanation, so I'm very glad to see he did so well with Grimshank, who was my favorite among the competition.
Really?, my last build was very incomplete, but did decently for originality, which I said I was glad of. And what did Grimshank extremely well in?
I like odd builds. And the sheer quantity of judges which were stunned by how far left field he came from was the most excellent reward.

Chineselegolas in second!
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/StonelordTrophyChineselegolas.png
I shall honour it.

Pechvarry
2010-05-16, 07:48 PM
Now, after the disclosure, I can finally apologize for the ugly format of Bruingar. Sorry to everybody and to the judges: word screwed it up and I don't know why

Word wrap was on. There's this weird thing where if you turn off word wrap, of course the text will fly off the edge of the window. But copy/paste all of it anyway and the boards will figure out how to handle it. Word wrap: on tells the boards to go crazy with the cheese whiz and ruin your post.

Amphetryon
2010-05-16, 08:02 PM
As counter-intuitive as it is, your best bet when writing up something you want to copy-pasta to a web forum is to use WordPad. It dispenses with most of the nifty tricks that Word uses to make things 'pretty', and in so doing, allows programs besides Word to understand what you're trying to post without turning it to Hungarian translated through Korean into English via the Google Translator. :smallyuk:

Akal Saris
2010-05-16, 08:14 PM
That's good advice Amphetryon. When I was really low on cash and didn't have internet for a few months (or microsoft office), I used Wordpad for all my optimization stuff, and even though I've switched to the (free) Open office, I agree that wordpad never screws you over on format with emails and forums, and you're not tempted to use italics or underlines to emphasize points. It's bare bones, but you avoid a lot of problems when you use it.