PDA

View Full Version : Level Six Wizard Spells? (3.5/PF)

Runeclaw
2010-04-27, 01:41 PM
My wizard just gained access to level 6 spells. None of them really jumped out at me - what do you reccomend?

I'd like one fire spell to fuel Fiery Burst. Of late I've been dealing with enemies with his SRs, so something like a conjuration spell that bypassed that could be useful. Was looking at Fire Spiders as a solution to both problems. Anything else?

We are playing Pathfinder but with full access to all 3.5 books, including Spell Compendium (but not, obviously, PHB spells that were changed in or excluded from Pathfinder).

Korivan
2010-04-27, 02:05 PM
Let me start off by saying lvl 6 wizard spells are awsome. This is the point where my wizard starts kicking arse on a mass scale.

As for spells...
Extract Water Elemental-Combine with chain spell (and more if you got the trick down) to decimate an army and grab yourself an army for a couple of minutes.

Greater Heroism-Good all round buff spell

Isaacs Many Missile Storm-If you can bring this in, good, if not, ignore.

Disintegrate-Very powerfull as its easy to pump up ranged touch attack rolles, can be blocked by ray deflection

Greater Dispel Magic-Takes care of ray deflection

Stone Body-If your going gish, grab, otherwise ignore

Tactacal Teleportation-Like telling the guy across the table to look the other way while you rearrange the chess board

Undeath to Death-Undead specific...Great when DM sees what you do with Extract Water Elemental

Contingency-Limits are your imagination

Circle of Death-Same as Undeath to Death, but for the living

True Seeing-Got an illusionist problem? Nope, you don't

Greater Anticipate Teleportation-For those times when you want to throw a monkey wrench in the DM's plans.

Antimagic Field-Ya, you rely on magic, make sure your team doesnt, then shut a caster down.

Legend Lore/Guards and Wards/Greater Sighn of Sealing-All situationally usefull, but good when you need them.

Also, if you still have a hard time seeing anything good at any spell lvl, just fill those slots with metamagiked lower lvl spells =)

EDIT: Sorry, didnt see Pathfinder at first, dont know what it is or whats alowed.

Eldariel
2010-04-27, 02:56 PM
Best PF Core level 6 spells, about in order:
- Planar Binding: Absolutely busted spell that, with modest investment of few Enervations, Bestow Curses, Magic Circles and such, you can guarantee getting a Glabrezu (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/demon.html#demon-glabrezu) to tank for you "until we slay X" where X is your present BBEG; as you have all the time in the world, you can just cheat on the Cha-check enough to automake it. You could also have an Efreet (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/genie.html#genie-efreeti) grant you 3 wishes, but that's so abusive I suggest you self-moderate there.
- Contingency: Most powerful defensive spell in the game. Tie it to e.g. saying a certain word (speaking is a free action that can be taken out of turn order), and make it e.g. Dimension Door you somewhere or put you inside a Resilient Sphere. Either way, basically a Get Out Of Jail For Free-card.
- Greater Dispel Magic: Caster's lifeline; as soon as CLs pass Dispel Magic, you'll need this and it'll be your Alpha and Omega, as spells begin to rule and killing things before ridding them of their wards gets really hard.
- Permanent Image: Your imagination is the limit.
- Shadow Walk: Another kind of a Teleport. They're all useful, though this is slightly worse, perhaps.
- Disintegrate: Can opener; you can get anywhere, break anything, etc. Oh, and it can target Undead with their poor Fort-saves and no Con, and affects them; yeah, sucks to be Undead.
- Flesh to Stone: Run of the mill Save-or-Die.
- Control Water: If you can't come up with uses for this, you aren't trying hard enough.
- Acid Fog: Only problem is that Solid Fog is almost the save in a much lower level slot. Stops movement cold. Breaks line of effect. Breaks enemy into multiple groups. Use as a readied action and a control too, or just to deal damage while someone is inside some obstacle they can't pass.

jiriku
2010-04-27, 04:56 PM
All powerful, for the reasons mentioned above:

PHB:
greater dispel magic
planar binding
true seeing
contingency
disintigrate

Spell Compendium:
superior resistance - good all-day buff
swift etherealness - good immediate defense, can protect allies
greater anticipate teleportation - good all-day buff
fleshshiver - effective way to deal with any monster that gets all up in your grill
freezing fog - locks down foes more effectively than acid fog
howling chain - excellent lockdown/BC

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-04-27, 05:26 PM
I don't get all the love for Greater Anticipate Teleportation. Burning the level 3 spell slot for the normal Anticipate Teleportation is much more palatable IME.

Rainbownaga
2010-04-28, 03:26 AM
I don't get all the love for Greater Anticipate Teleportation. Burning the level 3 spell slot for the normal Anticipate Teleportation is much more palatable IME.

Did these get errata'd or did they just update them for spell compendium? Going by the complete arcane descriptions you'd probably have to use 2 or more of the basic spell to get full coverage and you miss out on the virtual timestop power, but it seems a small enough difference.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-04-28, 03:40 AM
Did these get errata'd or did they just update them for spell compendium? Going by the complete arcane descriptions you'd probably have to use 2 or more of the basic spell to get full coverage and you miss out on the virtual timestop power, but it seems a small enough difference.Spell Compendium did update them so they're both 24 hours. The only differences are that you get more information and more rounds before people can port in. But the disparity is even more striking in CA, as an 8th level spell slot is much more precious than a 4th (or 5th if you extend it and get 'full coverage') level spell slot.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-28, 04:31 AM
Freezing Fog isn't bad (Solid Fog + Cold damage + balance checks and Reflex saves to stand).

Think of it as Solid Fog, 3 Stooges Edition.

Fires of Purity (Not a whole lotta damage, but it's tied to Melee attacks. Try it on an 11 headed hydra, watch the damage stack up.)

Ray of Entropy (-4 to all Physical stats... No minimum, no save.)

I like the last because, say you Max/empower a ray of enfeeblement. Around 15 temp Str loss. Exhaust. 21. Add this? 25.

Ray of Clumsiness? 8.5 average damage. Add this? 12.5 average. Exhaust? 18+ Dex loss, to a minimum of 0.

Great stacker for the paralysis party.

Spell Compendium did update them so they're both 24 hours. The only differences are that you get more information and more rounds before people can port in. But the disparity is even more striking in CA, as an 8th level spell slot is much more precious than a 4th (or 5th if you extend it and get 'full coverage') level spell slot.

Big difference? Action economy is the only economy. 2 extra rounds to buff, or grab something and flee? Priceless. A 3 round jump start lets you have a cloudkill+Forcecage set up, with a ready action to Dimension Anchor when they arrive. Or a dimension lock up.

Optimystik
2010-04-28, 06:00 AM
Prepare Streamers in your 6th-level slots :smalltongue: