PDA

View Full Version : My players want to be X-Men [3.5]

Noedig
2010-04-27, 06:44 PM
Ok so I know I saw a thread similar to this a couple of months ago, but im not sure where. Char Op maybe? In any case its origin isnt important.

Anyway, I'd like some help putting some characters together for some players of mine, who are a bit new. I made the mistake of telling them they could be anyone, do anything (eventually) when they make a character, and of course they wanted superheros. One of them wanted an x-men-esque character, and all of the others thought that was retardedly cool.

I need prototype x-men builds to show them and I've turned to the playground for help.

Kylarra
2010-04-27, 06:48 PM
Which ones specifically? Because X-men span the whole gauntlet of power levels...

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-27, 06:52 PM
Ok so I know I saw a thread similar to this a couple of months ago, but im not sure where. Char Op maybe? In any case its origin isnt important.

Anyway, I'd like some help putting some characters together for some players of mine, who are a bit new. I made the mistake of telling them they could be anyone, do anything (eventually) when they make a character, and of course they wanted superheros. One of them wanted an x-men-esque character, and all of the others thought that was retardedly cool.

I need prototype x-men builds to show them and I've turned to the playground for help.Psionics and incarnum.

They can do just about any of the X-Men you like.

Toliudar
2010-04-27, 06:53 PM
An extremely partial list:

Ororo - Druid with Nature's Avenger ACF
Wolverine - barbarian with the feral template?
Nightcrawler - either something psionic, for the Dimension Hop ability, or else Warlock with Flee the Scene. Possibly a little swordsage thrown in.
Colossus - NOT warforged, unless you don't want him to be able to turn human. Psychic Warrior could probably mimic him pretty well.
Jean Grey - Kineticist
Prof X - Telepath
Beast - Monk might actually fit him well
Iceman - Sorcerer who picks ice spells and uses Energy substitution (cold)?
Cyclops - warlock without invocations :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2010-04-27, 06:56 PM
Nightcrawler could be simulated completely with the Horizon Walker's Shifting Terrain Mastery: Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds (edit: or Abrupt Jaunt, but this isn't at will). Cyclops is Warlockable, but Ocular Spell with Spellwarp Sniper works a lot better.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-27, 07:02 PM
I'm not usually one to seriously suggest this, but it looks like you might benefit from switching systems to Mutants and Masterminds, built specifically for this kind of thing.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-27, 07:23 PM
Umm IIRC the Warlock's Information compilation had an excelent Nightcrawler build... IIRC it was something like Warlock 6/Swordsage 2/Tellflamar Shadow Lord 4/Child of knight/Jade Phoenix mage (qualifying with TSL but advancing warlock casting) or something like that... might check it out.

Edit: Found builds

NO-Tob build

Rogue 3/Warlock 6/Tellflamar Shadow lord 4/ Child of night 7

ToB nightcrawler

Swordsage 1/Warlock 6/Swordsage+1/Tellflamar shadow lord 4/jade phoenix mage 8

Noedig
2010-04-27, 07:33 PM
Could i get some more information on that horizon walker? Nightcrawler is pretty damn cool, and having a build to show them should help me make my point.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-27, 07:35 PM
Wolverine - barbarian with the feral template?

Wolverine: Why not Totomist (bind totem) with Kruthik claws, rage claws, or Sphinx claws.
This requires lv 2 to get attackable claws (but so does Feral).

Kruthik claws drip acid, but you can reflavor as extra sharp (like X-men type adamantine not the D&D type). So 1d4 (per essentia) cuts through DR (but not Acid resistance).
Rageclaws when you don't go down when below 0 (also no bleed out). Still die at -10 unless invest essentia which raises this value by 3 each (-10 becomes -13 max before death).
Sphinx claws enhance Str checks (and breaking objects/bullrushing) with each essentia.

SRD has Horizen Walker: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm

Shifting (Planar)
You instinctively anticipate shifts in the reality of the plane that bring you closer to your destination, giving you the spell-like ability to use dimension door (as the spell cast at your character level) once every 1d4 rounds. You gain a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against outsiders and elementals native to a shifting plane.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-27, 07:36 PM
Could i get some more information on that horizon walker? Nightcrawler is pretty damn cool, and having a build to show them should help me make my point.

Horizon Walker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm) <- they get dimension door until level 6 in the prg class (ECL 12 at the earlieast) and can use it only every 1d4 rounds AND can't attack after using it.

The above builds can teleport with every action and get a full attack in each one of those teleports

Edit: Wolverine

I always imagined him as a shifter totem rager, binding sphinx claws and landshark boots (for pouncing though you can get it with the barbarian dip....)

Melayl
2010-04-27, 07:38 PM
I would second Incarnum. With a minimum of work and reflavoring, you can get pretty much any X-man/mutant you want. Throw in Psionics for the rest.

Pluto
2010-04-27, 07:43 PM
Rogue gives me a headache.

Spellthief wouldn't be bad, but it would mean all the others would have to be spellcasters instead of Psionic/Incarnum/ToB/Invokers.

And a Totemist with Blink Shirt would let Nightcrawler do his thing very early.

Amphetryon
2010-04-27, 08:16 PM
Cookie for a good Gambit build. :smallbiggrin:

kenjigoku
2010-04-27, 08:18 PM
For wolverine I just used Savage Species.

I am AFB, but pretty much just toss on Regeneration, no weaknesses and toss in some Adamantine claws as natural weapons and make it so he has a inherent DR from his adamantine skeleton and you can pretty much call it a day on him.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-27, 08:20 PM
For wolverine I just used Savage Species.

I am AFB, but pretty much just toss on Regeneration, no weaknesses and toss in some Adamantine claws as natural weapons and make it so he has a inherent DR from his adamantine skeleton and you can pretty much call it a day on him.

Savage species give Fast heal not regeneration. They are similar, but have important distinctions.

Eldariel
2010-04-27, 08:20 PM
Rogue gives me a headache.

Spellthief wouldn't be bad, but it would mean all the others would have to be spellcasters instead of Psionic/Incarnum/ToB/Invokers.

Rogue is obviously an Illithid Savant masquerading as a human.

Pluto
2010-04-27, 08:28 PM
Rogue is obviously an Illithid Savant masquerading as a human.
:smalleek:
Nothing will ever be the same.

Cute_Riolu
2010-04-27, 08:32 PM
Gambit. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146792)

I can has cookie?

EccentricOwl
2010-04-27, 08:38 PM
Give them access to the Wish spell. Get them to wish that they were playing a different role-playing-game like Champions where it's a bit more feasible. =P

Mongoose87
2010-04-27, 09:01 PM
Beast is an anthropomorphic something or other, and an Artificer.

Baidas Kebante
2010-04-27, 09:07 PM
Cyclops needs abilities that simulate him being a leader - either being a Marshal or a Warblade with White Raven Tactics. He needs to simulate an optic blast that he uses as his primary ranged weapon that he can develop with tricks such as ricochets, rapid fire and switching its shape from a line to a cone. Most importantly, he'll need a special magic item that can replicate a no-save Charm and/or Suggestion effect on all female Psionicists within a certain range.

Amphetryon
2010-04-27, 09:10 PM
Gambit. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146792)

I can has cookie?

Should have specified 'no homebrew,' methinks.

*half-cookie*

Starbuck_II
2010-04-27, 09:10 PM
Cyclops needs abilities that simulate him being a leader - either being a Marshal or a Warblade with White Raven Tactics. He needs to simulate an optic blast that he uses as his primary ranged weapon that he can develop with tricks such as ricochets, rapid fire and switching its shape from a line to a cone. Most importantly, he'll need a special magic item that can replicate a no-save Charm and/or Suggestion effect on all female Psionicists within a certain range.

Dragon Shaman could fit, but we would need to reflavor breath weapon as optic blast.

Beast? Walks on walls/ceilings. Animorphic black bear with warlock levels for spider climb at will.

Melayl
2010-04-27, 09:21 PM
For Gambit:

Perhaps Warlock with a version of Eldrich Glaive that can instead charge multiple thrown items?

Or some type of rogue build with psion/psy warrior levels and Detonate?

Cute_Riolu
2010-04-27, 09:21 PM

*half-cookie*

Hey! That wasn't part of the agreement! I'll go on strike! D:<

The_Snark
2010-04-27, 09:32 PM

*half-cookie*

One level of Drunken Master and the Throw Anything feat. Take throwing-related feats (Power Throw and Rapid Shot are good ones), season to taste with Bloodstorm Blade and/or Master Thrower.

Haven't worked out the details, 'cause I suspect there'd be a lot to work out. But I think it could work.

Noedig
2010-04-27, 09:34 PM
Ive created a monster

JasonP
2010-04-27, 09:36 PM
Gambit:
Wizard or Sorcerer with the Scatterspray spell (Spell Compendium) go into the Fatespinner prc, luck feats from Complete Scoundrel and a charged magic staff. Or maybe instead of Fatespinner, use Daggerspell Mage reflavored for a staff instead of daggers (whenever required to use a dagger in each hand have each hand on the staff).

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-27, 09:39 PM
Cookie for a good Gambit build. :smallbiggrin:

Mon Cher, dis is too easy. Warlock with Hideous Blow to 'charge' attacks. Have fun.

The Rabbler
2010-04-27, 09:47 PM
Gambit:
Wizard or Sorcerer with the Scatterspray spell (Spell Compendium) go into the Fatespinner prc, luck feats from Complete Scoundrel and a charged magic staff. Or maybe instead of Fatespinner, use Daggerspell Mage reflavored for a staff instead of daggers (whenever required to use a dagger in each hand have each hand on the staff).

isn't there a metamagic feat that makes your spells explode? regardless of it's effectiveness, it'd be nice for flavor.

Bakkan
2010-04-27, 11:22 PM
Thought I'd give a build for Cyclops. I went with straight Warlock for this, first for simplicity and second because you need at least level 11 Warlock to get the Cone shape for your invocations. Obviously, since we are reflavoring Warlock, we drop the alignment restrictions. Note that this is just something I threw together to show a way that Cyclops could be done and is very very far from optimized.

Cyclops
Lawful Good Human Warlock 12

Abilities: STR 12, DEX 19, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 14 32-point buy, leveling points in DEX

HP: 6+11d6+24 (68)

Invocations Known
Least
-Hammer Blast (Eldritch Essense, Complete Mage) Use to break down doors and knock down buildings
-Eldritch Spear (Blast Shape) Because Cyclops would rather be within 250 feet than 60 feet
-Beguiling Influence As party leader, Cyclops needs some social skills. Toss-up between this and Leaps and Bounds for a more acrobatic character
-Devil's Sight That visor really looks like it should provide night vision

Lesser
-Brimstone Blast (Eldritch Essense) Deal fire damage and set things on fire. Alternatives include Beshadowed Blast to blind enemies
-Eldritch Chain (Blast Shape) Ricochet off of enemies, walls, or anything else

Greater
-Eldritch Cone (Blast Shape) To hit lots of creatures at once

Feats:
1 - Point Blank Shot
B - Precise Shot
3 - Improved Initiative
6 - Empower Spell-Like Ability(Eldritch Blast) (MM)
9 - Maximize Spell-Like Ability(Eldritch Blast) (Complete Mage)
12 - Quicken Spell-Like Ability(Eldritch Blast) (MM)

Items: Greater Chasuble of Fell Power (MiC), Gloves of Dexterity +4

Options:Eldrtich Blast 8d6, 3/day each Quickened, Empowered, or Maximized (can be combined)
Can hit enemies up to 250' away, deal fire damage, ricochet off of two targets (for a total of three targets hit).

Attack bonus: +9 (BAB) +6 (DEX) = +15 vs Touch AC, almost always hits.

Drood
2010-10-18, 02:42 PM
Gambit is pretty easy.

The explosive cards can easily be mimicked by the level 0 spell "Acid Splash" or any other ranged touch spell and the feat "Signature Spell (Cards)"

I'm sure most DMs wouldn't have a problem with you re-flavoring the Warlock's Eldritch Blast as a thrown card either.

Alternatively, a level 1 Druid gets 2 spells that could solve the problem:
Magic Stone: 3 stones (or cards in this case) get +1 attack and deal 1d6+1 damage
Shillelagh: quarterstaff does more damage

With higher levels you can obviously do a lot more.

For a really big charge/explosion from a card, use the Book Dispel strategy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5091586&postcount=16).

Diarmuid
2010-10-18, 03:26 PM
It's already been said, but are you married to trying to do this in 3.5 D&D? GURPS or M&M are built for this.