PDA

View Full Version : what are the pros and cons of running a apostile of peace?

deephelldragon
2010-04-27, 06:57 PM
i am planning on running a aposile of peace in a campain where humanoid creatures are not common. we have currently in the group a rouge,fighter,wizard,psion,and a barbarian so i was wondering what the pros and cons of running a apostile of peace would be?

Eldonauran
2010-04-27, 07:05 PM
The biggest problem I have ever seen isn't exactly with the AoP, but with the exalted alignment (super lawful good) in play. Some people just don't get how to do roleplay it properly and it causes friction when the rest of the group isnt exalted. Conflicting alignments can be big trouble.

Aside from that... The conflicting 'can't use items' from Vow of Poverty and the class ability that lets an Apostle of Peace use a defensive item causes some debate. I simply ignore the item AoP's can supposedly use and play it safe. No items.

But from personal experience, having played an Apostle of Peace myself, if you build it right, you can own just about anything.

Druid (Druidic Avenger variant + lost wildshape for monk stuff) / Totemist / Apostle of Peace / Comtemplative / Saphhire Heirarch was the mix of classes I used in the build. I focused around high HP (large con score), high ac (and touch ac), shield others (spell), monitoring everyone's health (spell), healbot from a distance (more spells), Awesome Blow combined with massive subtle damage from one of my soulmelds when something got too close and massive unarmed damage. Oh, and DMM(persist) cheese. Yummy.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-27, 07:12 PM
An Apostle of Peace needs to work with their party very carefully. By virtue of their Vow of Peace, being within 20 ft. of one will suppress morale bonuses and rage, so bards, barbarians, and certain buffers will need to keep their distance.

Really, it's a prestige class that shouldn't be included unless the DM is prepared, and the other PCs are okay with it.

That said, an apostle can accomplish things, or achieve solutions to problems that would otherwise be all but impossible.

Really, the problem is less with Apostle of Peace, and more with the Vow of Peace. Any character that takes that Vow must be prepared for an entirely different type of play style.

Optimystik
2010-04-27, 08:54 PM
Vow of Poverty is a problem because RAW you can't have a holy symbol, and many of their spells need one.

Vow of Peace is a problem because it turns you into the party nanny.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-27, 10:18 PM
Vow of Poverty is a problem because RAW you can't have a holy symbol, and many of their spells need one.
Which is rather odd considering that part of priesthood for many religions includes a real-world Vow of Poverty. I hope this does not count as discussing religion, as it is merely an observation. Please remove oh Moderators if it offends the rules of this fair forum.

Vow of Peace is a problem because it turns you into the party nanny.
It can still work depending on the campaign. A more free-form game where the combat is more secondary, such as in a courtly intrigue campaign, it can work.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-27, 10:22 PM
Even in a combat heavy game, the Vow isn't that bad if you're ready for it. The Calm Emotions effect is very 'fragile.' A single ranged attack at anyone within it from outside the aura ends the effect for everyone. However, unless the rest of the party marches ahead of the person with the vow, expect to delay/get ambushed a lot. For some classes, like the Knight, this isn't that big a deal.

Also, as long as folks aren't coup-de-gracing all the time, it's not that hard to avoid any negative repercussions. A person with a Vow of Peace can expect to either deliver a lot of nonlethal strikes, or else use Aid Another a lot/cast spells.

Considering the Vow of Poverty allows you to have a spell component pouch, it shouldn't be that hard to convince your DM to allow you a simple wooden holy symbol as well.

hamishspence
2010-04-28, 02:39 AM
Or use that spell in Complete Champion (0th level cleric spell, 1st level paladin spell) that allows you to summon a holy symbol.

Optimystik
2010-04-28, 05:41 AM
It can still work depending on the campaign. A more free-form game where the combat is more secondary, such as in a courtly intrigue campaign, it can work.

I'm not sure there's a point to the Vows if you're in a campaign where they won't be tested. That would be like taking Vow of Poverty in a campaign with no loot.

Not that I wouldn't find the prospect of an AoP in an RP campaign interesting, because I do...

Or use that spell in Complete Champion (0th level cleric spell, 1st level paladin spell) that allows you to summon a holy symbol.

Wouldn't that still count as using one?

There's a feat that can get around this, regardless - Worldly Focus I think. I just find the dissonance annoying on principle. :smallannoyed:

hamishspence
2010-04-28, 05:45 AM
It wouldn't count as owning one- since it's a temporary object that exists only for the duration of the spell.

It would be a bit like a Minor Creation spell automatically violating the Vow while it's active- a bit silly.

Optimystik
2010-04-28, 05:47 AM
It wouldn't count as owning one- since it's a temporary object that exists only for the duration of the spell.

I know - but the Vow prohibits both "owning" and "using."

To fulfill your vow, you must not own or use any material possessions...

EDIT: Of course the Vow is silly, that's my point :smalltongue: