PDA

View Full Version : The Journey to Soul's Fell [IC]

Asherion
2010-04-27, 09:08 PM
THE JOURNEY TO SOUL’S FELL

The Year 1322 of the Third Age, Early Fall

Fargost (The Western Free Cities, bordering the Wastelands)

- The original recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8337440#post8337440)
- The new OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8394791#post8394791)
- A map of the setting: Rukan (http://s830.photobucket.com/albums/zz221/CorrinoForever/?action=view&current=rukan.jpg)
The town of Fargost is on the border between the Western Free Cities and the Wastelands.
- Please describe yourselves in your initial posts, and then feel free to RP the encounter as much as necessary.

Final Party Roster:

- Senrath - Hellbred Paladin of Freedom (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=201700) (Mentaro)
- Phiktional - Human Swashbuckler (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=201686) (Finbarr)
- Asdfth - Wizard/Mage of the Arcane Order (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=201733) (Quoward Moonshadow)
- Syfusion - Cleric (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=201679) (Rionas Lindval)
- Joseph Silver - Human Sorceror/Dracolexi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=203064) (Baudolino Barbarossa)

Having responded to the flyers, you find yourselves gathered in the town hall, facing the mayor of Fargost. The only others who appear to have been interested [beyond PCs] are a pair of dwarves with disproportionately large battle hammers.
The mayor, a lean, spindly man, steps up to the podium in front of you all and runs a hand through his thinning, middle length black hair. His eyes dart from one person to the next as though hunted, and some of you may wonder how on earth this shifty, completely uncharismatic man got elected to office. And then he speaks, and his cold whisper speaks of hidden strength, and to some of you, magic.
“You have come here due to a job that I have that needs done. It will be a long and arduous journey, and there will be some amount of risk. Compensation will be as follows: 1500 gold per person hired, and license to keep whatever spoils you come across from the moment you cross the border out of the Free Cities to the moment you step back in (Provided you travel in the proper direction, of course) with only one exception - the item I wish you to retrieve. In actuality, the King of Westeron wishes it retrieved, and as I am in charge of this little border town, he has asked me to discreetly deliver it to him safely.
Questions, anyone?”

senrath
2010-04-27, 09:20 PM
A rather tall man wearing a large-brimmed hat and cape called out from the back of the group. "What exactly is this item that we are to seek? It is rather important to know what we are looking for, after all."

The man's body is mostly covered by his well-worn and tough looking clothing, but the parts that aren't (his face and wrists, mainly) are covered in horrible scars that bring to mind burn victims. His face seems to be contorted into a scowl, but on closer examination it's revealed that the scar tissue merely makes it seem like he's scowling. In addition his eyes are a rather unnerving, and completely unnatural, red.

On his upper left arm is a black band that symbolizes mourning, although mourning for what you cannot tell.

Asherion
2010-04-27, 09:32 PM
"What you seek is a magical item called the Orb of Thrall. It is very important that the King have it returned safely. It is an evil artifact that cannot easily be destroyed, and it was recently stolen from a vault in Westeron and smuggled to the island called Soul's Fell, off the shore south of the Wastelands. If the Fell Lords there are allowed to perform their magic using the Orb as a focal point, there will be grave consequences for the world. It is rumored to be of use not only for necromantic purposes but also for the destruction of other high level enchantments."

[Knowledge: History, Knowledge: Geography, or Int checks for any special insights into Soul's Fell or its history.]

senrath
2010-04-27, 09:36 PM
Mentaro nodded. Such an artifact could not be left in the hands of just anyone. He wasn't sure that he trusted the King with it, either, but it had apparently been kept safe there so far, so it might as well go back.

[roll0] Simple Int check

Syfusion
2010-04-28, 11:48 AM
A woman clad in shining full plate with a white and silver cloak carrying a impressive looking morningstar with a large shield steps forward with bright green eyes and shoulder length dark red hair. She asks in a soft voice "What of the thieves? Is there anything known about them?"

Asherion
2010-04-28, 12:45 PM
"A very pertinent question indeed. The denizens of Soul's Fell, at least the only ones of much import, are the Fell Lords. They are necromancers o the highest power. They are limited by the Mage Bridge and the Mage Wall. The Mage Wall is a barrier around the island that immolated anything That passes through it. The Mag Bridge is the exception, a long bridge of force that connects the island to the mainland. It, however, allows nothing undead to cross. The United Mage Guild and the Alliance set it up at the end of the Great War to keep in the armies of undead that the Fell Lords intend to use to conquer Rukan. The artifact may have the power to break those enchantments - which is a goal that the Fell Lords have been working towards for a century or more.

[Hehe, had to go through and edit, I posted that on my iPhone while waiting for my wife outside a lingerie store dressing room... awkward place to be a guy standing around with a purse... lolz]

Aron Times
2010-04-28, 01:21 PM
"I have a question," asked a man dressed in a blue jacket, bright red cloak, blue pants, and sturdy brown leather boots. "What sort of support can we expect from the government for this quest? And when do we start?"

Asherion
2010-04-28, 06:48 PM
The man looks at the group thoughtfully, and then replies "As far as governmental support, we can expect none in the beginning. The King is attempting to postpone telling his nobles that the Orb has been lost. He had not had it in his possession for long, having been given it for 'safekeeping' by the Church of the Light - who had previously held it while they attempted to destroy it - and is rather embarrassed about it having been stolen.

However, the moment news breaks, you will have military teams dispatched - which will take quite some time to reach you, by that point - but they will, eventually.

As for when you set off, why, whenever you all feel as though you are ready, if you take the job I have your coin purses, and of course it isn't necessary to remind you that taking the King's gold is entering you into a contract with the King, which, if broken, will mean your own heads should you ever be caught. So don't run off with his money. We have 25% up front and the rest when you return. Whoever is going, feel free to get aquainted first or just set out if you like and talk on the road."

The pair of dwarves look at one another, after these exchanges, and shake their heads as they back out of the room. "Ain't an'one crazy enough to march through the Wastes and then into Soul's Fell. What with all ther dead things and the like... ain't natural, then, is it? Better ways to find gold n'that, that's fer sure" one mutters to the other as they turn the corner out of sight.

senrath
2010-04-28, 06:52 PM
"I suppose that 'crazy' is an apt way to describe me, yes." The tall man said, as he moved forwards to claim his purse. He didn't plan on spending any of it right away, but more money to put towards fighting the good fight was never a bad thing.

Syfusion
2010-04-28, 07:30 PM
As the dwarves leave, the woman shakes her head and mutters to herself before stepping forward to claim the next purse. She checks it to make sure and once she is satisfied, she carefully stores it into her pack.

Aron Times
2010-04-28, 08:27 PM
Baudolino takes the purse without hesitation and then turns to the assembled adventurers. "Let us begin by introducing ourselves," he says. "I am Baudolino Barbarossa, sorcerer, linguist, and adventurer. I am skilled in magic and in languages. I speak five languages, and can use magic to translate those I do not speak."

senrath
2010-04-28, 08:31 PM
"I am Mentaro Hellbound. I am a Paladin. I've seen and experienced things that would make most men soil themselves with fear, and come out stronger for it. That is all you need to know for the time being." Mentaro said, as he leaned against the wall. He didn't bother counting the money in the purse he had claimed, opting to add the coins directly to his normal purse instead.

Asdfth
2010-04-28, 10:04 PM
Quoward Moonshadow a tall robed figure with his robe hood down showing his elven features.
Yes the orb must be return before it's power is used incorrectly. Quoward walks taking the purse. Since we would be working together I might as well introduce myself. I am Quoward Moonshadow a wizard from the Mages guild. He then turns to Baudolino, Ah a fellow linguist and arcane wielder it is nice to be acquainted.

Asherion
2010-04-28, 11:03 PM
The Mayor lays a map upon the table. "Here is the best reckoning that we have for this area of Rukan, particularly the Wastes. We don't have much, and there isn't much in the way of markers. The road that leads south out of town through the gates heads straight into the Wastes before tapering off into nothing, and if you follow a roughly southerly bearing from there, you will run into the Mage Bridge after crossing the Wastes entirely. I don't suggest that you depend on mounts to get you across, because there may be places that will be hard for animals to traverse. As for the island of Soul's Fell itself, we have nothing on it.

In the Wastes you may encounter... denizens. They are presumably all hostile, and if not, certainly they are savages, and no one here will care how you deal with them. They are your decisions to make.

Good luck." With this, he nods at the group in general begins penning some notes, in a sort of rude dismissal as though those before him are of no import.

Asherion
2010-04-28, 11:15 PM
[If any humans hail from Westeron, or anyone's well versed in politics, etc, you might know a bit more that I can tell you about the political situation - not that your characters are probably caring much for politics, but it might give you an idea about your employer, since it appears that your (indirect) employer is the King himself]

Syfusion
2010-04-29, 09:34 AM
"I am Rionas Lindval, wielder of Pelor's divine power and healing" She trails a hand through her mess of red hair before speaking again "I can keep you safe from the undead and shadows... well... hopefully" She smiles at the last remark...

Aron Times
2010-04-29, 10:02 AM
Baudolino looks at the assembled party and says, "We can leave by tomorrow. This should give everyone enough time to gather provisions and get to know each other so we can come up with strategy and tactics for our mission. It should also allow us to decide on a specific route to take to minimize our travel time to Soul's Fell."

Baudolino's Tasks for the Day:

1. Find a good horse for the long journey. Though he will fight on foot, having access to fast transportation should help conserve his energy for the battles ahead.

2. Buy provisions (basically a 15 gold Adventurer's Kit from the PHB2).

3. Discuss strategy and tactics with the party.

Asdfth
2010-04-30, 03:40 PM
I will go by the United Mages Guild and see what is the quickest route and what kind of things are in that area.

Asherion
2010-04-30, 05:04 PM
[Are the shopping and UMG stuff happening solo, and if so, you can either roleplay those encounters or call them done, with you all meeting wherever the next day and I can tell you what results you had. Whichever you prefer.

Has anyone heard from Phiktional?]

Syfusion
2010-05-02, 06:08 PM
"I have everything I need and can leave whenever everyone is ready..." She follows after Baudilino to the store though she does not buy anything...

Asherion
2010-05-04, 06:51 AM
[Asdfth]
At the United Mages Guild, you find that the maps of the Wastes are all roughly the same as the one that you have already been given. The mages who specialize in this field provide you with the information that... there isn't really a lot known about the Wastes. There are some places where travelers have noted nomadic encampments or villages of desert peoples, but typically when another group returns to that location, there is nothing there. No one ever makes a point of staying long in the Wastes... they are too dangerous, and besides, there is just... no point. There is nothing south of the Wastes of any interest - save the Lost Kingdom and Soul's Fell - no one wants to go to Soul's Fell, and no one ever returns from expeditions to the Lost Kingdom - so, information on the Wastes is little.