PDA

View Full Version : archivist????

urbanpirate
2010-04-28, 12:44 AM
so if i am reading it right an archivist has access to any divine spell he can get a scroll for?

if my reading is right it begs the question. Are there divine wiz and sorc variants i have been missing somewhere along the way?

Eldariel
2010-04-28, 12:45 AM
so if i am reading it right an archivist has access to any divine spell he can get a scroll for?

if my reading is right it begs the question. Are there divine wiz and sorc variants i have been missing somewhere along the way?

No, but Southern Magician, Alternative Source Spell and such ensure the scrolls exist if you dig far enough... Of course, that's all DM jurisdiction so tread lightly.

Greenish
2010-04-28, 12:48 AM

if my reading is right it begs the question.No, it doesn't. Begging the question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question) is a logical fallacy. You mean it "raises the question".

*evil pedantic laugh*

Mongoose87
2010-04-28, 12:54 AM
No, it doesn't. Begging the question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question) is a logical fallacy. You mean it "raises the question".

*evil pedantic laugh*

*Smacks Greenish with a pool noodle*

Yeah, this is one of the big advantages of the Archivist. You find the lowest-possible level for a given spell, and you win!

absolmorph
2010-04-28, 12:58 AM
No, but Southern Magician, Alternative Source Spell and such ensure the scrolls exist if you dig far enough... Of course, that's all DM jurisdiction so tread lightly.
Cooperation while working on a scroll also works, and that simply requires meeting someone who knows the spell. I know this works with paladins and rangers (who generally don't scribe scrolls), but I don't remember if it allows breaking the arcane/divine barrier. I think it does.

Morithias
2010-04-28, 12:59 AM
Ha, just level dip in artificer and max/min your UMD check, and you can make the scrolls yourself. Then copy them into your notebook! If you can find a way for it to be a divine scroll you can make it!

sonofzeal
2010-04-28, 01:09 AM
max/min your UMD check
Max-min, in many fields, refers to almost the opposite that minmaxing does in D&D. Max-min is about maximizing the minimum result, or (in this context) making sure you're at least basically competent at everything. A maxminned character tried to make sure that the lowest number he can get on any possible check is as high as he can get it. He'd try to have decent BAB, decent stats in all areas, a few ranks in every skill, decent saving throws across the board, decent touch and flatfooted AC, etc.

Minmaxing is the opposite, minimizing everything else to maximize one or two particular numbers. That's probably what you want to do here.

(Not that any of this really matters, of course, but it's one of those little things that bothers me all out of proportion since it's a proper technical term in my field.)

Pluto
2010-04-28, 01:44 AM
Warlocks can make any magic item in the game and, unlike artificers, their scrolls can be divine.

If there are any geomancers or southern magicians or hexers, etc in your game, divine scrolls of arcane spells become viable items for warlock crafting.

(or for the prc'ed characters' crafting, but I imagine they're a bit rarer.)

Doc Roc
2010-04-28, 02:09 AM
Warlocks can make any magic item in the game and, unlike artificers, their scrolls can be divine.

If there are any geomancers or southern magicians or hexers, etc in your game, divine scrolls of arcane spells become viable items for warlock crafting.

Rules cite on divine warlock scrolls?

Pluto
2010-04-28, 03:14 AM
Imbue Item gives the Warlock the ability to emulate Divine casting in item crafting.

I suppose there is some ambiguity regarding whether a class ability to provide Divine spells is enough to determine that the class is able to scribe Divine scrolls. There's not a whole lot in the DMG, CArc or the MIC to clarify this.

...Eh. Extrapolating from the Artificer's errata, I'm probably wrong - RAW is hazy and this does seem to contradict the spirit of the rules.

Independent research should help to fill the gaps, though.

urbanpirate
2010-04-28, 04:26 AM
Ha, just level dip in artificer and max/min your UMD check, and you can make the scrolls yourself. Then copy them into your notebook! If you can find a way for it to be a divine scroll you can make it!

i had been planning an artificer dip, just looking to break into the wiz spell list.

Optimystik
2010-04-28, 05:51 AM

It's part of the "Imbue Item" ability they get at 12th level.

Imbue Item (Su): A warlock of 12th level or higher can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he does not know the spells required to make an item (although he must know the appropriate item creation feat). He can substitute a Use Magic Device check (DC 15 + spell level for arcane spells or 25 + spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn’t know or can’t cast.

Draz74
2010-04-28, 10:48 AM
I believe there's an explicit clarification (in the FAQ, maybe?) that Warlock scrolls are still arcane, even if creating them required emulating a Divine spell.

*Smacks Greenish with a pool noodle*

*Helps Mongoose smack Greenish with a pool noodle*

Optimystik
2010-04-28, 10:58 AM
I believe there's an explicit clarification (in the FAQ, maybe?) that Warlock scrolls are still arcane, even if creating them required emulating a Divine spell.

I checked, (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19520666/Warlock_Faq_by_Rich_Baker) but don't see that anywhere - and someone even mentions divine spells.

He clarifies that he doesn't think Imbue Item is broken, because the Warlock can just buy the needed scrolls and UMD them without blowing a feat. He probably wasn't thinking of Archivists at the time, but I don't think they existed yet anyway.

Bayar
2010-04-28, 11:01 AM

Dont forget Factotum Chameleons.

Coplantor
2010-04-28, 11:17 AM
Cant you get dvine versions of arcane spells through domain spells? Mamking the spell compendium the archivist's very best friend for ever?

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-28, 11:33 AM
Cant you get dvine versions of arcane spells through domain spells? Mamking the spell compendium the archivist's very best friend for ever?

Shugenja and Adept both get several spells that are usually arcane-only. Most spells can probably be gotten by going through domains and class spell lists.

Although I'm betting a ton are still off-limits without Alternate Source Spell cheese.

jiriku
2010-04-28, 12:33 PM

Doc, do you really wanna suggest that when a warlock uses UMD to scribe heal, the resulting scroll is arcane? Because I've got a wizard character who would love that interpretation. :D

On the balance, using a warlock to feed divine spells to a divine caster's prayerbook is probably less abusive than using a warlock to feed divine spells to an arcane caster's spellbook.

Doc Roc
2010-04-28, 12:52 PM
Doc, do you really wanna suggest that when a warlock uses UMD to scribe heal, the resulting scroll is arcane? Because I've got a wizard character who would love that interpretation. :D

On the balance, using a warlock to feed divine spells to a divine caster's prayerbook is probably less abusive than using a warlock to feed divine spells to an arcane caster's spellbook.

I believe what he meant to suggest was that one could freely choose between arcane or divine for a given spell, not that you could scribe a specifc divine spell as divine.

Hexer, unfortunately, Just Works.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-28, 12:57 PM

That wouldn't work, though. The Archivist explicitly has the ability to scribe non-Cleric spells. The Wizard? Not so much.

A Chameleon might like it, though.