PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshifter Feat [PEACH][D&D 3.5]

AustontheGreat1
2010-04-28, 12:49 AM
Manifest Extraordinary Ability

Your mastery over your own form allows you to manifest benefits from your base form into your alternate form.

Prerequisites: Alternate Form special ability
Benefit: Choose an extraordinary ability or natural attack that is usable in your base form. When in a form other than your base form, you can manifest the body parts necessary to utilize that ability in any form you take when using your alternate form ability. This can include movement speeds, natural attacks, natural armor, and other natural abilities usable in the base form. Natural weapon damage, save DC's, and other things determined by a creature's size are determined by the size and physical ability scores of the alternate form, not the base form. The ability manifests physically, and therefore ruins any attempt at disguising oneself as a member of the alternate form. This ability can not be taken or applied to supernatural abilities or attacks such as breath weapons and gaze attacks.

This feat may be taken more than once, each time you do it applies to a new ability

-0-
an example of this feat in use would be lets say an Aranea who wanted to manifest his Web(Ex) while in humanoid form.

One of my own little homebrew attempts. Please point out any flaws or things that just don't make sense; or if its just a dumb idea.

Lix Lorn
2010-04-28, 10:20 AM
Makes sense to me.

AustontheGreat1
2010-04-28, 09:53 PM
So its alright then? 70 views, 1 reply; I guess that means that there is nothing wrong with it balance-wise, mechanically, or conceptually? I'm gonna present it to my DM then.

Unless Lix Lorn was being sarcastic. I can never interpret connotation correctly through text.

Temotei
2010-04-28, 09:57 PM
It doesn't seem bad to me, honestly.

IT'S AWFUL! WORST HOMEBREW EVARRRRRRRR1!!!111!!!

[/sarcasm]

Sereg
2010-04-29, 12:26 AM
Unless Lix Lorn was being sarcastic. I can never interpret connotation correctly through text.

Lix is a bit of an ego stroker. Generally assume that the more complimentary version is intended.

Anyway, I agree that this seems useful and makes sense.

Lix Lorn
2010-04-29, 04:09 AM
Lix is a bit of an ego stroker. Generally assume that the more complimentary version is intended.

Anyway, I agree that this seems useful and makes sense.
If I'm being sarcastic, there will be a :smalltongue: or a :smallamused: smiley. XD I was serious.
...should I be offended at being called an ego stroker? :smallconfused:

Sereg
2010-04-30, 12:42 AM
...should I be offended at being called an ego stroker? :smallconfused:

No. I consider it a neutral trait that is useful in certain situations.

Galileo
2010-04-30, 02:30 AM
I am going to obtain a dog, perhaps of the German Shepherd variety. I shall name him Ego. Thus, I shall become an Ego stroker. With a big Ego.

On topic, the feat looks pretty cool. Means a dragon can make use of his alternate form and still set fire to those who offend him.

DracoDei
2010-04-30, 09:29 AM
I would throw in a note about how some uses of the feat will ruin alternate forms for disguise purposes (thus I would make it optional at the time of transformation).

Put in the usual boiler plate about "You may take this feat more than once, each time you do it applies to a new ability."

I would also explicitly state that any size-based factors (breath-weapon cone size, base damage die, etc) are based on the CURRENT size, not the normal size associated with the special ability. Stating that physical stat-based things (especially strength based stuff) works similarly might be good, but I am less sure about that.

AustontheGreat1
2010-04-30, 03:45 PM
I am going to obtain a dog, perhaps of the German Shepherd variety. I shall name him Ego. Thus, I shall become an Ego stroker. With a big Ego.

On topic, the feat looks pretty cool. Means a dragon can make use of his alternate form and still set fire to those who offend him.

Actually it specifically states that it cannot be used to manifest breath weapons as those are supernatural, not extraordinary.

sorry