PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, PEACH] Pseudo-antimagic field

Wahrheit
2010-04-28, 03:18 AM
I'm in an Eastern-themed campaign with a lot of homebrewing going on, not least of which is modified Shugenja being the primary divine casters of the setting (8 possible elemental specializations {earth, air, fire, water, rain, sun, silt, ash}, they get Turn Undead, can choose from 17 Orders, and each Order also gives a unique power that burns Turn Undead attempts). Here's the Void Order power for your consideration.

Suppression Field (su)
Activation Time: 1 Full-Round Action
Provokes AoO: Yes
Target: Caster's square
Area: Emanation; varies.
Duration: Varies

The user spends a varying number of Turn Undead attempts to create a suppression field 20' in radius with a duration of 1 round, centered on their current square. Each Turn Undead attempt beyond the first increases either the radius by 5' or the duration by 1 round. The area of effect does not move with the caster. For the duration of the effect, any other character within the emanation who attempts to cast a spell, manifest a power, or activate a spell-like or supernatural ability, must make a caster level check against DC 11 + the user's caster level. If this check fails, their ability fails to activate but is not lost (no spell slot is expended, no daily uses are spent, etc). The suppression field has no effect on preexisting magic that enters its area, only new castings.

DracoDei
2010-04-28, 09:32 AM
Looks good to me, but I could easily be wrong... As long as it doesn't suppress pre-existing things, like buffs on people that move into it. You should clarify that.

The only thing I would change is that instead of rolling, the caster should just be setting a static DC of 10 or 11 + caster level. It is more standard.

Xzoltar
2010-04-28, 05:17 PM
I think it burn turn undead use too fast, even assuming good charisma and the use o extra turning feat jsut so it last few round or affect a not too small zone, you need to use most of your attempt per day...

DracoDei
2010-04-28, 05:36 PM
I think it burn turn undead use too fast, even assuming good charisma and the use o extra turning feat just so it last few round or affect a not too small zone, you need to use most of your attempt per day...

That is actually as it should be... this is a pre-emotive Dispel Magic here... should be costly. and there is always the Extra Turning feat.