PDA

View Full Version : Simple Realism System

Conners
2010-04-28, 04:29 AM
I'm trying to construct the SRS (Simple Realism System) for my own and general use. This'd be it's own RPG from the ground up, made for two purposes: Realism in a fantasy DnD-like setting, and simplicity that won't burden play.

Any help I could get would be very welcome. Someone on another forum has been kind enough to help me get started (he has some IRL combat experience).
The things I'll need help with largely are balancing (well, as balanced as real life gets, anyway), content (I don't know all the ways you can get cut up or their detailed effects, as an example), and getting statistics close to the real-thing.

Here's what I have so far:

Character Creation:

Attributes/Stats:
For each attribute, I'd say 10 would be the average for a human. The stats are as follows:

Strength: Damage, to-hit, carrying things, climbing rock-sides, swimming, etc..
With strength, it'd add to the damage modifier of the varying levels of success. 10 would add nothing, 12 would add 0.2, 8 would subtract 0.2, etc..
Also, each point over 10 would reduce the Cut-off Point[CP] (making success easier). Below 10 increases the cut-off point making it harder).

Agility: To-hit, dodging, dancing, archery.
Like STR, AGI reduces the Cut-off Point[CP], making it easier to hit. Each point over 10 reduces your CP by 0.5 (so you'll need 12 AGI to get any effect).
Each point of AGI over 10 increases your Defence.

Constitution: Health, healing, resistance to disease and toxins, more stamina.
You start with 20(?) Max HP and gain 1 point of Max HP for every point of CON over 10. If it's under 10, you lose at the same rate.

Intelligence: Knowing lots of skills, academic-minded matters, more hints for players with high INT.
Perhaps this could lower the cost for learning skills? Such as, it costs 5 points to learn Stiltering normally, but with 20 INT it only costs 2 points. Just an idea at this point.
It'd also be the skill for knowledge checks, like in 4E, which are pretty useful.

Perception: Spotting/hearing enemies, telling lies from truths, ability to notice subtle details and skills like tracking, archery.

Charisma: Relations with the people around you, lying ability, convincing, getting cheaper prices, charming people.

Skill: Rather like your "Level". This is how skilled you are as a warrior, the raw experience and know-how you've picked up over many fights you survived. This'd add to just about everything combat-related.

Combat

The Basic Roll:
We have two men fight, with no bonuses or penalties to anything. For the attack, roll 1d100. Since they're equal and non-exceptional, the "Cut-off Point"[CP] is 50. Rolling less than 50 is good for the defender, rolling more is good for the attacker. 51 is a scratch, 49 is a near-miss, and 90 is a massive critical.

Now, what if guy A was 10 points better (at dodging and attacking) than guy B. The cut-off point for A is 40, and for B it is 60. "B" needs to roll 60 or more to hit, "A" needs 40 or more.

Note that you don't need 1d100. Use a d20, simply by dividing all the stuff here by five (cut-off point becomes 10, 18 for massive critical, etc.). Or you can use a d10 by dividing by 10 (cut-off of 5, 9 for massive critical). Will take some extra simplification, though.

Levels of Success:
There are various levels of success based on how much you roll over the cut-off point. I'm not certain of how much force can be modified, realistically, by a success of the hit. So, I'll probably limit it to something like three times the force, for the highest critical, as a place-holder.

[Success Level] [Roll] [Damage modifier]

Perfect Hit: 100 3x damage
Massive Critical: 98+ 2.75x
Critical: 95+ 2.5x
Minor Critical: 91+ 2.25x
Great: 86+ 2.0x
Good: 81+ 1.75
Square: 76+ 1.5x
Decent Hit: 71+ 1.25x
Hit: 60+ 1.0x
Half-Hit: 56+ 0.5x
Scathe: 51+ 0.25x
Scratch: 50 0.1x damage
Near-miss: 49 0 damage
Miss: 48- 0 damage
Fumble: 1 Unbalanced till end of next turn.

Strength would also add to the multiplier.
That's what I have currently. Might need to be changed around, in damage amounts, with more levels of success, have more stuff for rolling under, or perhaps something else.

Weapons and Damage:
Weapons can have up to four properties:

Damage (dmg): This is the damage rating, which is modified by the success of the hit roll.
Armour Penetration (AP): This is the weapon's ability to ignore and penetrate armour.
Accuracy (ACR): If it effects the to-hit roll. Bigger, slower weapons have less chance of hitting--light, long weapons like rapiers have more chance.
Blocking (BLK): If it effects the enemy's to-hit roll. A butcher's cleaver wasn't designed to parry with--a sword with a large, steel hand-guard is good to parry with.
There'd also be Weapon Mastery, where if you aren't versed in the weapon you take penalties, and if you're skilled with the weapon you get bonuses.

As for damage, I'll try to keep the hit point numbers and damage ratings low, for simplicity.

Armour and Penetration:
Weapons have a damage value, and a armour penetration value. Here's how it works against armour:

Narg the orc has a pick-hammer, and is fighting Dansen the elf, who is wearing full-plate.

Narg gets a total of 10 Damage, on his first attack. The Hammer's penetration value is 2x. 10 damage x 2 AP (armour penetration) vs. Dansen's armour of 30. 20 - 30 = less than 0, no damage is done.

Narg swings around, out of reach of Dansen. He steps forward with a second attack, getting a total of 20 damage this time. 20 damage x 2 AP = 40, vs. 30 armour.
Dansen winces with pain, 10 points of damage being a nasty wound.

The fight ends there. Narg is surprised to see the elf lie dead, so quickly. His pick, very luckily for him, pierced the elf's heart, though the damage was little. All should beware of combat, for a small wound can be your undoing.

A second elf steps through the ranks, wearing hardened-leather with 5 armour. Narg parries the elf's swing, countering with his own upward blow of 10 damage. 10 x 2 = 20 vs. 5 armour = 10 damage. Armour Penetration can't raise the actual damage of the attack, so it hurts this poor elf no more than if he was stark naked.

Backing away, barely dodging another strike as he tried to regain his composure. The elf, Gahdrim, didn't come here to die fighting orcs. Readying his longsword, AP 0.8x, one thunderous leap brought him at the Narg with a vengeance!

Thrusting hard, Gahdrim's strike is worth 15 damage, but it's against the orc's formidable splint mail, 10 armour. 15 x 0.8 = 12 vs. 10 = 2 damage.
The thrust is ineffective, most of the impact sliding off the splints of metal.

As for what happened in that battle, we'll leave that for another time. Gahrim would live to see great things, you shall see.

Optional Rule
Tin-Hammering:
If an attack does no damage due to armour, but is adds up to half or more of the armour value, do 1 point of non-lethal damage.

You can have this for a quarter or more of the armour value, instead. Or you could have 1 damage for any successful hit.

This rule is handy if you find your players, or NPCs, having a grisly amount of trouble with fully armoured characters. It's still realistic, in that if people keep bashing you around, even if it doesn't get through your armour, it'll sure as heck disorientate you.

Movement:
The movement is rather interesting. Take a grid, or a hex, doesn't matter. At the start of each round, everyone who can move picks a place they want to move to, as well as the action they want to perform ("I move south-west and slash at the orc!"). Then, you move everyone at the same time. If someone moves out of range of their target, they can't attack them that turn.

If multiple people try to move into the same spot, there'd be something like an Agility roll to see who gets there first. A tie could result in them both moving there, and colliding. Might need consideration.

Stances
There's be a few Stances you could take up.

Offensive: Raises your Offensive skills by 20%(?).
Defensive: Raises your Defensive skills by 20%(?).
Mobile: Lets you move one extra square before the attack phase, decreases Offensive and Defensive skills by 10%(?).
Power Striker: Adds 0.25x(?) to the Success/STR damage modifier. Decreases Offensive skills by 5%(?) and Defensive skills by 10%(?).

You can only have from 0 to 2 stances active at the same time. They are chosen at the beginning of each round, before anything is done.

After stances are declared, they are no hidden from the NPCs or the players. You could, through this, take a Defensive Stance to make it look like you're going to retreat and be defensive, when actually you plan to step forward and slice them with a Counter.

We might also have it that you are required to take a certain stance to do certain things. Such as, you need to be in the Mobile stance to gain a dodge bonus against missiles. Just an idea.

Double Strike Engagement:
In fights, it often happens where not one, but BOTH opponents strike a hit. Some duels ended with both participants on the end of a sword.

Initiative would be a Derived Stat from maybe Agility and Perception. When several characters land hits on each other, roll initiative to see who struck first. A blow of 5(?) or more points of damage, regardless of armour (even if it'd reduce the damage to 0), will stop the other character's attack.

If you roll a draw on initiative, you both strike each other at the same time.

Jobs/Skills:
Skills will be kept as simplistic as manageable. There's a similar cut-off point mechanic. However, rather than 50 as the cut-off point, it tends to be 60 or 70, based on how difficult the skill is.

Weaving artistic quilts for someone who hasn't trained in weaving, would be very hard to succeed. So we'd have something like 70.
Climbing difficult rock faces is something more straight forward, at least, so it might get 60.
Brain Surgery can't be done by someone who isn't versed in it. If for some reason you want to let a character attempt such a skill, it'd be 100 CP--though I don't recommend even bothering to roll such a thing.

You could also improvise with skills. Try to do surgery with your large knowledge of First aid, receiving 1/4 of your usual bonus, kind of thing.

Mostly that sort of thing could be on-the-spot common sense, with a chart given for examples sake.

Special Moves:
Where the real strategy would come in, is the special moves. Rather like 4e DnD, except completely different.

Specials would be things like "Shield bash", to try and unbalance your opponent, "Flurry", to attack with several weaker hits, "Multi-Attack" for attacking multiple opponents in one turn, etc..

These would be largely based off the weapon you're using, and your mastery with that weapon. Rather than feats purchased at level ups.
Print-out cards would be handy for these, keeping the effects unique but simple.

This is what I'm thinking for how to do them:

[Name:] [Proficiency level needed of X weapon] [Skill level needed]
Cut-off Point(CP) change, what subtracts/adds to CP.

Requirements to use this technique, like a shield for shield-bash.
Extra details on the Technique, such as losing your shield bonus for the round when using shield bash.

Effects of the Technique
Write your bonus/penalty down here, to make it easy to look up and use.

Shield Bash None. [0]
60CP - (STR Bonus x2) - (Skill) + Target's Defence

Requires: Shield.
No Shield-Bonus the round you use this.

Opponent is Unbalanced on success. Minor Critical to Perfect Success knocks enemy down.

-Blank Space for Writing-

[Flurry [3] [2]
70CP - (AGI Bonus x2) - Skill - WPN Mast + Target's Defence

Requires Weapon(s).
Lose WPN Mast bonus to Defence, for the round this is used.

You make three attacks, each at half the Damage Modifier (so a Perfect Hit would do 150% damage).]

[Draw-Strike [4] [2]
65CP - (AGI Bonus x2) - Skill - WPN Mast + Target's Defence

Requires Sheathed Weapon on hip opposite to main hand. Must be one-handed or smaller.

Make an attack as you draw your weapon.]

[Swift-Blow [0] [1]
60CP - (AGI Bonus x1.5) - (STR Bonus x0.25) - Skill - (WPN Mast x0.5) + Target's Defence.

Nothing.

+5 Bonus on any Initiative rolls against that target for that round.]

[Seize [3] [3]
80CP - (AGI Bonus x2) - (STR Bonus x 1.5) - Skill - (WPN Mast Unarmed) + Target's Defence

Requires an empty hand.
-10 to Defence.

Grappling with opponent upon success. Can automatically stick behind them, avoiding their attack for that round if you won initiative. Proceed to Grappling rules as the Advantaged combatant.]

[Weapon Knock-away [3] [2]
65CP - (STR Bonus x1.5) - (AGI x0.5) - Skill - (WPN Mast) + 1/2 Target's Defence + (Target's WPN Mast)

None.

Opponent can't attack with the targeted weapon next round, or this round if you won iniative. They lose thier WPN Mast and WPN BLK bonuses/penalties to Defence.

Levelling Up
Firstly, rather than levels, you have Attributes, and your Skill (Experience). Skill (experience) adds to most everything fighting related, so it's pretty much your Level.

Haven't decided on how to do handing out yet. For now it'd probably be something the GM gives out when appropriate, to an extent that makes sense.
Doing it at the end of each session is sensible for an in-person game, so that you only need to re-write the bonuses/penalties once at the start/end of each session.

Bleeding:
I'm thinking this won't be much of a problem to do. Unless someone's artery gets chopped, people can generally manage quite a while before fluid-loss kills/knocks them down. It is more awkward to fight, though, since you need to hold your blood and/or organs in. Could inflict penalties to fighting ability when badly wounded, easily enough.

Wounds:
There'd be a neat variety of wounds you can take. These could occur randomly, or occur always upon a critical or massive critical. Or both.

Well, that's most of the stuff I have so far. I'm trying to work out the rest of the details. Again, I appreciate any help you can give to improve upon this system. I'm very interested in views or advice you can give me on this, as well as facts as to realistic combat which I could consider.

I hope for this to be a dangerous but highly fun adventuring system, much like Dwarf Fortress' adventure mode, nethack, and 1st addition dnd, but with simplicity that makes it easy to approach.

Thanks very much.

Spiryt
2010-04-28, 04:38 AM
"Simple" and "realistic" don't go together too well. Reality is very complicated thing. :smallamused:

That said, my pet peeve

Bigger, slower weapons have less chance of hitting--light, long weapons like rapiers have more chance.

This isn't really realistic idea - chance of "hitting" that said inflicting some serious threat with weapon isn't as simple, as "light, I swing I hit".

Accuracy would generally depends on too many things - so generally you can go with many things, but bigger shouldn't automatically mean less accurate.

Zeta Kai
2010-04-28, 05:07 AM
Under your movement rules, whoever goes last in describing their actions has the advantage. After everyone else has declared where they want to go, the later movers are far more likely to avoid attacks & perform successful attacks on their own. Let's say that you're playing a warrior in combat with orcs. On a particular round, the orcs "win" the right to declare their actions first. One of them chooses to attack you. During your time to declare actions, you can simply choose to not be near your current position, thereby denying your attacker a chance to hit you.

This is an unavoidable consequence of your system, as people are going to have to describe their actions one at a time at the table, even though they will be moving simultaneously within the game world. Unless there are mechanics in place that either:

limit movement, preventing defenders from always evading attackers, or
allow attackers to follow their prey to their declared destination under some circumstances,

then those who come later in the talking circle will have a strong (IE unfair) advantage.

Conners
2010-04-28, 06:46 AM
@Spiryt: Yes, this is often the problem... However, I'm thinking that it might be something where all the difficulty is at the start. Then, you just need to check the "attack axe" number on your character sheet, when playing, all easy. That's the hope, anyway, we can try our best.
Avoiding unnecessary details isn't too bad either.

Well that's why I said a big and slow weapon. There are some twenty-foot halberds they used to use, I'd say it'd be difficult to hit someone with that. The main idea with that weapon wasn't to be good for a one-on-one duel or small skirmish, so much as attacking armoured knights from a distance when you have multiple soldiers helping you. Was thinking of things like that.

Problem comes with great axes and the like, where their range isn't really significant enough for an extra square of range (maybe), and it's questionable whether the weight would slow it enough to make it less likely to hit.
Calculating things, like stun from parrying a big axe, is also pretty hard to emulate without clutter.

Generally though, big weapons can surprise you with their movement. It can be like slow motion. Unless you don't mind throwing your footing off or throwing your weapon, maybe. Though, I do agree, bigger doesn't always mean less likely to hit... just depends on the weapon.

Good thing about a 1d100 system is that you can fine-tune the results (no one will notice too much if the great axe lacks 2 points).

@Zeta Kai: I'd intend it as something you all declare at once. That is a bit hard, of course, in an in-person game. For that, be handy if each player had a few cards they'd put face-down on the table. North, North-east, stay-put, etc.. Generally though, if playing with honest players, they should stick to their decision.
Assuming the orcs are NPCs, the GM would decide in his head what each orc was going to do. A shady GM might change his decision, is a problem, but you could also allow this for more dramatic, exciting turns of events--the PC not dying in the first encounter, due to an orc slipping up, for example.

I'd suppose this mainly as a problem for player-vs.-player, and require the players to discreetly pass on their plans through some system.
--
As for them describing their actions one at a time in a player vs. game, this could allow meta-gaming for the later players who are quick on their feet, since they can work out a strategy based on what they shouldn't know the other players are going to do, as you point out.
What we could do is a sort of initiative system, where the players who are the most alert-seeming that round get to go last. It makes their attacks more coordinated, of course, but generally you don't allow tactical planning, in such a system (players on their first game(s) should get to discuss tactics, to learn the system, of course). So, this'd be their RP knowledge of each other, and teamwork.

Since the attackers and the defenders get to move at the same time, the attacker could move to a square they know/think the defender can't get out of range from. Example:

A = Attacker
D = Defender
x = blank

xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxADxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx

A moves east, D moves north-east. A can hit D.

xxxxxxxx
xxxxxDxx
xxxxAxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx

This'd have the risk of tumbling into the defender, of course. But if they want to run rather than fight, you can usually expect staying still is the last place they're going to be. Of course, it depends on the intelligence of the NPCs.

You are very right that there could be problems. Hopefully a better fix can be come up with later.

Thanks to both of you for pointing out errors :). That is really important step for making a system work, discovering problems with the base idea.
Thanks again.

DaTedinator
2010-04-28, 09:23 AM
I remember reading about some system that had those who win initiative get to declare their actions last, and take them first. That could help with your initiative situation.

erikun
2010-04-28, 02:38 PM
@ DaTedinator: AD&D 2nd edition did that, as did old World of Darkness and several older systems, I believe. Most gave the option to a later combatant to change their action, generally to a lesser action or by forcing a concentration check (or equilivant).

Ah, interesting. I think that you might run into a problem where the numbers are simple, but the math ends up complicated. Something like "DMG = (ACC x AP) + 0.3 * degree of success / weapon DMG value" might produce a realistic result from the strike, but it would be a nightmare to determine in an actual game. Note that the above is only a random selection of values, and doesn't actually mean anything...

As for the main points:

The Basic Roll
Most systems are either a roll-under system or a roll-over system. In a roll-under system, a 50% chance would need to roll 50 or less on a d100; adding +10% would need to roll 60 or less. In a roll-over system, a 50% chance would need to roll 50 or more; +10% would add to the roll itself, leaving the target value at 50 but moving the range of numbers from 1-100 to 11-110.

Your system is some bizarre mix of the two, mostly using the worst features. Yes, THAC0 was also confusing but there was a logic to it. (A -2 penality could apply to either the d20 roll or the AC, and had the same effect.) Unless your "bonus adds penality to target roll" system has a reason I'm missing, I think you would get along just as well with one of the more common systems.

Weapons and Damage
Sounds good enough, although ACR varies greatly with the training involved. A sniper rifle is far more accurate in trained hands than a pistol, and a two-handed sword can be quite fast in the hands of someone who knows how to swing it.

You're also forgetting weapon speed, although it seems you are trying to include it in the ACR value. Daggers are dangerous because they can slip under a guard so quickly; axes are slow because of the momentium making it hard to regain control as quickly.

I question the use of HP in any system referred to as "realistic".

Movement
Seems decent enough, although you'll want to answer questions like "what if I want to move to X while staying under cover" or movement that would obviously take multiple 'rounds'.

Double Strike Engagement
Nothing wrong with two opponents hitting each other. It would be quite common, in fact, if they dropped their guards to both go on the offensive.

Jobs/Skills
This seems to be nothing more than a bonus/penality of up to +/-50% to the difficulty roll. I would also note that some procedures would need specific knowledge to pull off. Realistically, rebuilding a car engine or performing brain surgery would be an automatic failure unless you knew what you were doing. Getting lucky and MacGuyvering a car together with chewing gum and bottle caps would be more appropriate using a Stunt/Luck/Action Points that assuming it automatically happens once every hundred tries.

Special Moves
These sound like combat techniques, something you would pick up while studying the weapons. Something like disarming parry (rapier), shield bash, or a grappling pin (judo) would make more sense as learned skills with the weapon rather than, to use D&D's termonology, "feats" to take upon leveling up.

Levelling Up
Sounds like you're heading in the direction of World of Darkness, Shadowrun, or Burning Wheel, where the character's strength is what skills they have. Perhaps more in like of Burning Wheel, where you don't have "experience" but rather directly increase skills through use.

I would recommend AGAINST seperating combat and non-combat skills. First, it's difficult to tell what exactly is a non-combat skill; why is meditation not related to combat concentration? or why is body dexterity not related to avoidance in melee? Secondly, it seperates the game into combat-mode and non-combat-mode, which in every system I've seen just pushes the game towards hack-and-slash mentality.

Bleeding/Wounds
You're probably best off adopting an injury system, where the penalities affect your ability to make checks. It doesn't really matter much if the -10 is from a twisted ankle, a broken arm, or a gash in your side, after all. Perhaps a seperate section for when a character undergoes serious bodily harm, such as your disembowelment example, but I would hope that characters are not disemboweled in combat very often. (especially ranged combat)

Conners
2010-04-28, 05:25 PM
@DaTedinator: Thank you for pointing out that. Usually I'd go and look at the system. However, since I want to cut down on rolls and so-forth, I'd leave it as an intuitive on-the-spot thing, which the players and the GM decide as to who seems the most alert. Generally, level-headed and tactical characters and the leader would go last.

Ah, interesting. I think that you might run into a problem where the numbers are simple, but the math ends up complicated. Something like "DMG = (ACC x AP) + 0.3 * degree of success / weapon DMG value" might produce a realistic result from the strike, but it would be a nightmare to determine in an actual game. Note that the above is only a random selection of values, and doesn't actually mean anything...

As for the main points: I am concerned about difficulty which may arise due to number calculation. One possibility, for if it gets complicated, is to have your character sheet list the damage for different levels of success. Not a great fix, but it should work. I'll do my best to keep the numbers simple but working, either way.

For example, armour-penetration will be ignored if your enemy isn't wearing armour, or if your weapon has no armour-penetration modifier.

The Basic Roll
Most systems are either a roll-under system or a roll-over system. In a roll-under system, a 50% chance would need to roll 50 or less on a d100; adding +10% would need to roll 60 or less. In a roll-over system, a 50% chance would need to roll 50 or more; +10% would add to the roll itself, leaving the target value at 50 but moving the range of numbers from 1-100 to 11-110.

Your system is some bizarre mix of the two, mostly using the worst features. Yes, THAC0 was also confusing but there was a logic to it. (A -2 penality could apply to either the d20 roll or the AC, and had the same effect.) Unless your "bonus adds penality to target roll" system has a reason I'm missing, I think you would get along just as well with one of the more common systems. I don't see the system as a bad one. You compare the totalled skill levels between you and the other character, then lower or raise the difficulty to get a hit based on that. Thought you're right in that it would take some getting used to.

Variable target numbers tend to be harder to manage, I find, then this cut-off point system. This may very well be exclusive to me, and I wouldn't mind people using this system differently if it suited them that way.

Weapons and Damage
Sounds good enough, although ACR varies greatly with the training involved. A sniper rifle is far more accurate in trained hands than a pistol, and a two-handed sword can be quite fast in the hands of someone who knows how to swing it.

You're also forgetting weapon speed, although it seems you are trying to include it in the ACR value. Daggers are dangerous because they can slip under a guard so quickly; axes are slow because of the momentium making it hard to regain control as quickly.

I question the use of HP in any system referred to as "realistic". I'd do that with Weapon Mastery Modifiers, I'd suppose. Someone can use a pistol without experience more easily than the sniper rifle, the pistol having -5, the rifle having -20, to give examples.

I figure you can generally get about the same number of attacks off each round, considering attack and defence can be interchangeable. It's easier, of course, with light, quick weapons, as you figured.

HP isn't really the most realistic system, it's true. However, it'd be generally difficult to track all the wounds involved, I'd figure, unless it became a matter of adding values together, much like reverse hit points (even then, random charts for every attack and calculating damage ratings is a hassle).
Hit points are mostly a pain-threshold, not how many times you can be stabbed in the head. One bad Wound could send you into unconsciousness or shock--or outright kill you.

Movement
Seems decent enough, although you'll want to answer questions like "what if I want to move to X while staying under cover" or movement that would obviously take multiple 'rounds'. That's a bit tricky, since the combat is very intensely fast. I was considering a system for moving multiple squares, of course--perhaps a maximum of three unless you can run really fast for whatever reasons.

You'd have to forgo your attack for that turn. It goes as normal, everyone moving one square, until the attack part. Then, you don't get an attack, but anyone who was aiming for you and is in range gets to attack you. After that, assuming you're in a state to continue, with all your limbs, you get to move the other two squares.

That's my immediate idea for movement, anyway. I don't know how fast a person can run within 1 or 2 seconds.

Double Strike Engagement
Nothing wrong with two opponents hitting each other. It would be quite common, in fact, if they dropped their guards to both go on the offensive. Just a question of how to make it uncommon enough that it doesn't become tedious.

Jobs/Skills
This seems to be nothing more than a bonus/penality of up to +/-50% to the difficulty roll.

I would also note that some procedures would need specific knowledge to pull off. Realistically, rebuilding a car engine or performing brain surgery would be an automatic failure unless you knew what you were doing. Getting lucky and MacGuyvering a car together with chewing gum and bottle caps would be more appropriate using a Stunt/Luck/Action Points that assuming it automatically happens once every hundred tries. That's the idea, yes. The (attribute + skill level) - Difficulty.

Indeed. The brain surgery example was a bit of an inside joke. You could if you wanted allow someone the 1 in a 100 roll, but it is quicker and more realistic to simply say it's impossible.
Making a car with gum and bottle caps would be very impressive, certainly.

Special Moves
These sound like combat techniques, something you would pick up while studying the weapons. Something like disarming parry (rapier), shield bash, or a grappling pin (judo) would make more sense as learned skills with the weapon rather than, to use D&D's termonology, "feats" to take upon leveling up. Yep, that's the idea.

Levelling Up
Sounds like you're heading in the direction of World of Darkness, Shadowrun, or Burning Wheel, where the character's strength is what skills they have. Perhaps more in like of Burning Wheel, where you don't have "experience" but rather directly increase skills through use.

I would recommend AGAINST seperating combat and non-combat skills. First, it's difficult to tell what exactly is a non-combat skill; why is meditation not related to combat concentration? or why is body dexterity not related to avoidance in melee? Secondly, it seperates the game into combat-mode and non-combat-mode, which in every system I've seen just pushes the game towards hack-and-slash mentality. There isn't too much in the lines of skills, mostly. You have Weapon Mastery, your stats/attributes, and your experience/skill as a fighter over your years of fighting. Might be something I consider adding, like, "Dodging" and "Hitting" skills... perhaps? Seems fine as is to me, for now.
Not sure how much I want it like shadowrun and so forth with heavy skill focus. It isn't exactly unrealistic, so much as extending upon it becomes time consuming and difficult.

Bleeding/Wounds
You're probably best off adopting an injury system, where the penalities affect your ability to make checks. It doesn't really matter much if the -10 is from a twisted ankle, a broken arm, or a gash in your side, after all.
Perhaps a seperate section for when a character undergoes serious bodily harm, such as your disembowelment example, but I would hope that characters are not disemboweled in combat very often. (especially ranged combat) That is a good idea. Hit point loss itself could lead to injuries, or it could be the attack success levels? A mixture could also be good.
I would want serious wounds to be separate from general injuries. Most serious injuries will put you out of combat due to shock, of course. I get confused as to the exact meaning of disembowelment, though I suppose you mean being opened up, so you try to make the in-things stay as in-things. I'll make serious wounds s realistically infrequent as possible. While an appropriately-headed arrow can almost take off an armour, I can't imagine it being too common to slice someone open so well as with a sword. If you have no armour and are hailed with arrows, perhaps.

Having a list of serious and light wounds you roll for at the appropriate time could lead to tensions and interestingness. could mean death or relief.

Thanks very much for bringing up that list of points erikun :smallsmile:!

elpollo
2010-04-28, 06:13 PM
Have you looked at Mongoose Runequest 2? It's quite gritty, it's percentile, it's got combat maneuvers which you can do if you beat your opponent's roll (if you beat it by certain levels you can use more than one), it saves you having to write a system, and it's pretty awesome. I'd say definately look at it (there are some previews at the bottom of the page) (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/series.php?qsSeries=39).

You can try and make a system realistic, but that means different things to different people. I really thing that MRQ2 would satisfy your needs.

Conners
2010-04-28, 06:33 PM
It does seem a well-made, well-thought system that takes a grittier, more realistic approach. However, it is a bit more complex than I was planning. Might work on this a while more for now.
Generally fun to try new takes on various aspects, also.

elpollo
2010-04-28, 06:55 PM
In which case:

Just to clarify, you have to roll under or equal to [ 50 + Character Skill - Difficulty ], where the Character Skill is the active character's relevant skill and the Difficulty is either some arbitrary difficulty or a passive character's skill? If so I can add a few things since I briefly proposed this in a thread on rpg.net.

I would reaaaally change how your movement works to stop the faster people being untouchable (I'm afraid I've not got a better suggestion at the moment). Do you need squares/a grid at all?

For wounds and such, I'm gonna suggest having a look at Inquisitor (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1320029_Inq_Rulebook_part_1.pdf) if you haven't done so yet, specifically page 38-42. It implements a sort of hit points/wound levels combo. I mean, it's not a great system (many lasgun shots are better at killing a space marine than a multi-melta, if I recall correctly), but it's something to build from.

Right, I'll leave it there for now. What attributes are you planning to use?

erikun
2010-04-28, 08:25 PM
Re: Basic Roll
The main reason I point out the different systems is that they are all virutally identical. You gain an increased chance of success from higher bonuses, and a decreases chance of success from higher difficulty. The main difference is how it's presented, and how well the players can understand it. If your system works and makes sense, there's no reason to chance. (although you could still look at others for ideas)

Re: Weapon Damage
Well, perhaps I was getting ahead of myself. After all, throwing in weapon stats like speed, momentium, and range will just complicate things if existing modifiers, such as accuracy or damage, handle the variables just as well.

Then again, I suppose weapon range/weapon speed could apply during initiative. After all, longer weapons tend to hit first, as do faster weapons. In a halberd vs. sword fight, the halberder hits first unless the sword fighter can slip under his guard. Similarly, in a knife vs. baseball fight, the knife fighter will strike first unless the guy with the baseball bat keeps his defenses up.

Re: Wounds and HP
The main reason I prefer a stacking wounds system over HP is that it is far to easy to still be up and running, despite massive penalities, just because you still have HP. You could also be knocked out of the fight, yet still "unwounded", due to HP. Adding wounds at various HP levels just makes the HP feel redundant, though. After all, if you are rendered unable to fight, then it doesn't much matter if it is because you are too weakened, paralyzed, or unconcious. Perhaps it's just a personal preference.

As for "critical wounds," most of these are ultimately fatal, although not within the time span of combat that we are talking about. Even something as grievous as losing an arm will kill you from blood loss within minutes, not within seconds like combat takes. Most deaths from fatal gunshot wounds happen within hours or days. (Ignoring damage to the brain, heart, or spine, which IS pretty much instantly fatal.) So yes, critical wounds should be seperate from wounds, and outside of surviving the shock of the attack, probably shouldn't affect combat much - beyond the obvious loss of ability, of course.

Re: Weapon Mastery
My main concern with this idea is that being good with a sword doesn't mean you are good with EVERYTHING with a sword. I'm just imagining the party fighter trying to pry open a secret door with his longsword, because "I get a +50% bonus when weilding my weapon!"

A general "Weapon Mastery" might work at determining an overall "level" for a character, but probably isn't something you'd want to apply to every roll. Hitting someone is different from defending yourself, hitting accurately is different from hitting powerfully, and learning various techniques are different than being generally good with the weapon.

Simplification is good, but if you're going to simplify that much, I wonder why you don't just use FUDGE or something similar. :smalltongue:

Conners
2010-04-29, 02:22 AM
@elpollo: The reverse of that, actually. Equal to or over the given number, which is reduced by your bonuses, and increased by your penalties.

All characters can only move one square, before attacks are handed out. After that, if you had decided to forgo your attack to move farther, you get to move a few more squares (two more, typically).
Squares aren't really that necessary, just easier to talk in terms of grids.

Looks quite interesting. I'll probably use a similar, heavily revised version of that. Need to consider how I'm going to do location damage, too. Things should stay simple, but it is a point with armour, where you want to attack an exposed place. Might be able to side-line it, if it doesn't add enough to the gameplay, so the mechanic is only called in when it's important to hit or not hit specific areas.

As for Attributes, I'm rather certain of the following:
Strength: Damage, to-hit, carrying things, climbing rock-sides, swimming, etc..
Agility: To-hit, dodging, dancing, archery.
Constitution: Health, healing, resistence to disease and toxins, more stanima.

Intelligence: Knowing lots of skills, academic-minded matters, more hints for players with high INT.
Perception: Spotting/hearing enemies, telling lies from truths, ability to notice subtle details and skills like tracking, archery.
Charisma: Relations with the poeple around you, lying ability, convincing, getting cheaper prices, charming people.

Skill: Rather like your "Level". This is how skilled you are as a warrior, the raw experience and know-how you've picked up over many fights you survived. This'd add to just about everything combat-related.

@erikun: "Re: Basic Roll"
I've played quite a few systems, with different ways of presenting the numbers. Haven't seen too many with this way of doing it. It seems simple enough to learn, and not too hard to understand.

"Re: Weapon Damage"
Hopefully Accuracy, Damage and Armour Penetration are enough to manage it, with some Weapon Mastery. Probably can't get precise realism, but I'd only want that for a computer-generated game.

Yes, longer weapons have a greater reach, so you don't need to get as close to strike at your opponent, making them very useful tools. Might want to consider accuracy penalties for attacking people inside your reach, though. A halberd is pretty useless when the other guy is breathing down your neck.
Something like -5 for every step past your maximum range, maybe (this'd be -10 when someone is right up to you, with the 20-foot halberd)?

"Re: Wounds and HP"
Well, that's why I suggested a mixture of the two. You could get one incapacitating wound at the start of the fight, or you could get gradually beaten down. If you were in plate armour being beaten with swords, for example, you're more likely to get knocked down from bruising, fatigue, and soreness rather than some terrible wound. With HP, can have it that you can't take a million hits.
Combine this with Wound possibilities, where any hit over 7/whatever HP is a light wound, etc., and it should work out pretty good.

Indeed. Magic can help you here, of course, so that a wound you normally can't survive is patched up so that you live to recover. I don't want there to be heaps of magic, but I think a cleric being able to sear your stump of an arm to stop the bleeding sounds OK (healing magic can't typically be performed in combat, though--takes too long).
--
Gangrene would also be a fatal, constant killer, to anyone in this profession who takes hits. Luckily, advanced alchemy and some specific herbs led to a cure to this... and BOY does it sell like hot-cakes among among those in the fighting profession. Adventurers would be taking these after every terrible beating, mostly, to be careful.
--
Was also thinking of an interesting item. A pain-killer you can take for a HP bonus--some kind of drug. Morphine, maybe. Could lead to interesting role-play with realistic morphine addictions, from over-use.
--
Of course, I wouldn't make things like morphine too common, though the gangrene-cure potions are pretty wide spread among civilized regions with an interest in warfare.

"Re: Weapon Mastery"
...XD I'd laugh if someone said that in my player group. I could put a foot-note, that holding a sword doesn't aid to your doing-the-dishes check--just didn't think it'd be necessary. Though considering some players...

Well, being a master of a particular weapon means you are good at those things. If someone could only perform one aspect of that very well, they'd hardly even be a fighter, since a fight demands flexibility if you want to get anywhere--alive. Of course, people are often better or worse at those various aspects, though I'd start to wonder if we are getting too deep into skill management.
--I do think Stances are in order. Defensive, Offensive, Power-Striker, maybe another couple I've forgotten. Just that I'm unsure about levelling up those aspects as you go, rather than them being plain modifiers.

Roleplaying through the entirety of a game is something to consider, but it does have problems and complications of its own. How to make action scenes exciting, why the GM shouldn't just let you in every time as part of the fun of the game. Adding a skill element that allows characters to have different attributes, without roleplaying exaggeration.
That's the idea at least.

Thanks again to both of you for the good help. Trying to work out ranged combat currently, plus the other stuff.

erikun
2010-04-29, 09:47 PM
...XD I'd laugh if someone said that in my player group. I could put a foot-note, that holding a sword doesn't aid to your doing-the-dishes check--just didn't think it'd be necessary. Though considering some players...
Well, it's obvious when using the silly examples, but there will be times when weapon training would apply to skills not affected by combat. Do you allow Martial Arts Mastery to apply for moving silently or maintaining your balance? It would certainly make sense to, as balance and foot placement are very important in many martial arts. However, doing that might encourage players to try to use their Pistol Mastery skills for moving silently by walking on the barrels of their guns. (Yes, I've seen it attempted.)

As for stances, perhaps Offensive, Defensive, and Mobility? Offensive means actively trying to attack, Defensive means actively trying to block/parry, and Mobility means actively trying to dodge/move around. Or perhaps it would be better to combine two stances. Offensive/Mobility would involve charging and hacking, giving little disregard to your defense. Offensive/Defensive would be acting like an armored knight or spartian, holding a position and not moving much. Defensive/Mobility would be going "total defense", giving up attacks to move around and protect yourself.

All characters can only move one square, before attacks are handed out. After that, if you had decided to forgo your attack to move farther, you get to move a few more squares (two more, typically).
Squares aren't really that necessary, just easier to talk in terms of grids.
I would recommend moving away from the grid, or at least away from relying on the grid.

The way I saw it at first, you had a character who started at point A. They say they want to get to point B. They get a swing at one target along the way, and the only things that should matter are terrian, distance, and any characters that might try to stop them.

To use the stances above, anyone in Offensive stance would have the option to take a swing at anyone passing by. Anyone in Defensive stance would have the option to try to block movement (assuming they don't move away, of course). Hence why someone guarding or holding an area would take Offensive/Defensive, able to attack anyone moving towards them and prevent people from getting past. Defensive/Mobility could just block a door but not fight back, while Offensive/Mobility would be dangerous to walk past but doesn't have a way to stop people.

Thanks again to both of you for the good help. Trying to work out ranged combat currently, plus the other stuff.
Hmm. Doesn't sound too difficult, although I'd think most people would start with melee combat. From what I can see, the major factors in hitting someone would be armor (damage reduction), shields (avoiding, damage reduction), dodging (avoiding), and cover. Stuff like parrying wouldn't apply unless you decided to play "super anime style", so to speak. :smallbiggrin:

Conners
2010-04-30, 03:19 AM
Martial arts doesn't usually contain sneaking in its training.--in fact, an amount of them encourage you to yell to focus your "energy". If a player can justify the use, however, like keeping your balance after a friend accidentally nudges you towards the cliff, then I'd let them use half of their martial arts skill in place of the Balance skill which they have no points in, just as an example. Sneak could be done at something like 25% of the Martial Arts skill, maybe.

Combining stances is an interesting idea. Put in Power-Strike and combine it with Offence for berserkers, to off-set the to-hit penalties... and to increase the defence penalties.
Problem with the mobility stance, is that I'd want to combine Blocking and Dodging as one Defence modifier (which raises the opponent attacking you's cut-off point). Also don't want to calculate things like moving around due to dodges, and just have moving as a conscious thing before each attack stage.
Blocking your opponent's path would be a thing of the player's/NPC's own intuitiveness. Generally, tapping them on the back with an axe as they pass is enough to stop them dead, perhaps literally dead.

Grids would make it easier to calculate. Generally, I'd keep it in grid fashion, since you can't really move that far in a 1-second round.

Distance is the main thing here. It'd get confusing as to who is what and what is who distance. Could be done without a grid, just easier with a grid.

Hmm.... actually, the Mobility stance does sound interesting. I'd say decreased Defence/To-hit, in exchange for the ability to move an extra square during the attack phase. So if someone you wanted to attack steps out of reach, you get to move again, putting yourself within reach. Good for dodging away, too. A bit risky to use too often, however, since it decreases attack and defence.

Just trying to figure how it'll fit in. From what I gather: You pick your target at the start with everyone else. Everyone but you takes their move (I'll consider Feats, that allow you to do things like take a move action while firing by ranged), and it's the attack stage. If an ally has gotten in the way of your target, you miss your attack for that round.

With a clear shot, you get to fire at them. Roll archery similar to melee, with a cut-off-point. Increase the difficulty by +20 if they're moving strangely (aka: IN A MELEE FIGHT),
+10 if they're running in a direction away from you (it's easy to hit a target running at you),
+5 if they're walking a direction away from you,
add their Dodge skill to the difficulty if they're actively trying to avoid your fire while in a Mobile stance,
add their shield blocking if they're actively trying to block your fire while in a Defensive stance.

Calculate damage upon a hit with levels of success.

The stances you came up with really are an interesting idea. Thank you very much for it. A lot of it would just be common sense, of course. You want to avoid the arrows? Go to mobile stance. You want to block the arrows? Defensive.

Defensive would not only be parries, but dodges too--ones that involve not too much movement (like ducking under a high swing). Thanks again, I'll look forward to thinking up more uses for this.

Conners
2010-05-02, 08:35 AM
Added some stuff to the original post. Armour workings and penetration, a bit on attributes, stances, levels of success.

We're at a stage now where testing could begin, for melee combat. Just need to work out how stats effect the success rolls, and some minor details with them. Then we get on to adjusting numbers, and trial and error, following by other things like Shields, Techniques, and anything else.

Conners
2010-05-04, 09:46 AM
Combat bonuses:

Offence.

Strength: Adds +1 for every point over 10 to Offence rolls.

Agility: Adds +0.5 for every point over 10, or +1 for every 2 points over 10.

Skill: Adds +1 for every point of skill.

Weapon Agility: Add this value to the Offence.

Weapon Mastery: Add your weapon mastery for the weapon you are using to the Offence, whether negative or positive.

Racial/Special Value: Add this.

Circumstantial: Add these when appropriate. Examples: Fighting from elevation (up stairs, from horse, etc.): +2 to Offence.
Flank: +5 Offence
Back-Attack: +8 Offence
Slippery/Bad Ground for Footing: -2 to Offence
Prone: -5 Offence

Defence.

Agility: +1 for every point over 10.

Shield: Add the defence value of any shield you are using.

Weapon Blocking: Add this to your Defence.

Skill: Add this to your Defence.

Weapon Mastery: Add your weapon mastery for the weapon you are using to the Defence, whether negative or positive.

Racial/Special Value: Add this.

Circumstantial: Add these when appropriate. Examples: Prone: -3 Defence
No Dodging Space: -8 Defence
Allies or Terrain Guarding you: +4 Defence

That should be enough to put together something interesting. After testing, onto Techniques.

EDIT: Did some testing, and it seems the numbers work. Sadly, it has the complication where -2 is a good thing for your attack ,and +2 is a good thing for your defence. Confusing, sadly, but one can get used to it.

Conners
2010-05-09, 02:24 AM
*Bump*

Worked out how Techniques should go. Check the first post to see for yourself.

Conners
2010-05-11, 08:32 AM
Added more techniques. The system I have for them is pretty good, I just worry about the realism and balance of it, as well as for the modifiers for each particular technique.

erikun
2010-05-11, 04:47 PM
Alright then, back to this! Let's see how and where things have changed. I'll skip over the stuff that's the same.

Attributes/Stats:
They seem to work well enough, I guess. Pretty much any attributes are going to be abstracted anyways, so I guess the D&D six aren't a bad place to work with. Any reason for choosing those, rather than Mind/Body/Soul, or Head/Arms/Legs/etc, or Physical/Mental/Social?

Levels of Success:
The biggest thing I see here is that half of the rolls are a flat 0, which the other half are an ascending scale from 0.25 to 3. There is also a 10-degree critical success range, yet only a 1-degree critical failure range.

First problem is that it requires looking up a table, which won't be very simple to most people. Second, it requires multiplication for every role, further complicating things.

Armour and Penetration:
The first problem is that the "Optional Rule" should be in a spoiler tag, rather than a code tag. Right now, each paragraph is on a single line, leaving a lot of scrolling to read it all.

Weapons with less than 1.0 AP will always deal less damage than what you've rolled.

In fact, AP doesn't really seem to have much meaning at this point. In nearly every situation, AP is just a damage multiplier. The only time I see it being anything different is if you have a large AP or are hitting very weak armor.

Stances
Well, I like to see the stances there. After all, how you are swinging a weapon affects its performance as much as what weapon you are swinging.

However... more math. Also, penalities seem unnecessary when you want to be in a stance anyways. "Defaulting" to no stances is the equilivant to being unprepared for battle.

My suggestion on stances was to give you more options - Offensive/Aggressive giving more attacks, for example, or Defense to defend an area. Making the stances nothing more than bonuses seems to encourage decisions based on numbers and math, which feels less realistic to me at least.

This looks like three completely unrelated subjects under the same heading. Other than that, it looks like any meaningful amount of damage stops your opponent from attacking. This looks completely contrary to your example under "Armour and Penetration" and isn't realistic, to boot.

Special Moves:
So special moves are just anything beyond swinging a sword? It looks like they are picked up while training in a weapon skill, as opposed to feats limited to one every several "levels", correct?

Also, I would call them "Weapon Skills" or something similar. I can't think of anyone who would call unbalancing or stunning an opponent delivering a "special move".

Corporate M
2010-05-11, 07:11 PM
Reality is very complicated thing. :smallamused:

No, it isn't. People just want it to be so that complicated=beurocracy="figure out this maze while I kindly go over here".

I like the system well enough. It's just I don't see it being used in anything sept a game specificaly designed for realism. You and I seem to have a very simaler idea of how combat should look, but your's actually complicates it further by suggesting there be d100s and large tables of modifiers... Bleh!

I'd say your's is kind of like what mine would look like if I gave enough of a crap to go that deep into it. Mine would basically look like

Armor=This
Attack=That
Damage=The other

Lets say for example a Largespear.

Attack: 1d10 Damage: 1

Lets say the person he's up against armor, after everything's figured out is, 3.

Well, under my system, that would mean the more he rolls on attack, the more he rolls on damage. Lets say he rolls a 9. That's 3 damage. I'm not the first person to come up with this. Zelda basically does this. With each heart representing 2HP. This largespear would be like when those moblins attack you with a spear. Notice when you're wearing the good tunics, they don't do any damage. Your armor is just too much to overcome. When you're not wearing a tunic, the damage is "random", but always on the low side.

Transitioning that to D&D wouldn't be that hard. Maybe just reverse the stats and have the largespear come at +1 bonus to attack rolls vs damage being d10. And everytime you meet the AC requirements, you get an extra d10. (Sortof like rewarding high attacks instead of random criticals)

This would require alot of tweeking either way. As under my system, suddenly warmages turn into tier-4 or tier-5 classes cause even a simple lesser orb of lightning becomes a "oh, your armor class was 12 and I met that requirement twice... so 10d8 damage for you!) So really it depends less on the mechanics and moreso what kind of game you're playing.

I basically talked alot more then I needed too. But I think you're on the right track dude. I understand you want the math to make sense, but you have to ask yourself, if you were playing these rules in mid-game, are they adaptable? Could you compromise them for someone who's just rolling dice without forethought? Is it capable of being bent to make circumstances higher or lower as a DM who wants something to be seen as different levels of competence? Under my system, if I wanted to see my attack as unsurvivable, I'd just increase the attack bonus as damage bonus would just mean it hurts more once but attack means it hurts more then once. Your's might require adding a 0.5 somewhere...

Conners
2010-05-12, 05:48 AM
Alright then, back to this! Let's see how and where things have changed. I'll skip over the stuff that's the same.

Attributes/Stats:
They seem to work well enough, I guess. Pretty much any attributes are going to be abstracted anyways, so I guess the D&D six aren't a bad place to work with.
Any reason for choosing those, rather than Mind/Body/Soul, or Head/Arms/Legs/etc, or Physical/Mental/Social?

Levels of Success:
The biggest thing I see here is that half of the rolls are a flat 0, which the other half are an ascending scale from 0.25 to 3. There is also a 10-degree critical success range, yet only a 1-degree critical failure range.

First problem is that it requires looking up a table, which won't be very simple to most people.
Second, it requires multiplication for every role, further complicating things.

Armour and Penetration:
The first problem is that the "Optional Rule" should be in a spoiler tag, rather than a code tag. Right now, each paragraph is on a single line, leaving a lot of scrolling to read it all.

Weapons with less than 1.0 AP will always deal less damage than what you've rolled.

In fact, AP doesn't really seem to have much meaning at this point. In nearly every situation, AP is just a damage multiplier. The only time I see it being anything different is if you have a large AP or are hitting very weak armor.

Stances
Well, I like to see the stances there. After all, how you are swinging a weapon affects its performance as much as what weapon you are swinging.

However... more math.
Also, penalities seem unnecessary when you want to be in a stance anyways.
"Defaulting" to no stances is the equilivant to being unprepared for battle.

My suggestion on stances was to give you more options - Offensive/Aggressive giving more attacks, for example, or Defense to defend an area. Making the stances nothing more than bonuses seems to encourage decisions based on numbers and math, which feels less realistic to me at least.

This looks like three completely unrelated subjects under the same heading. Other than that, it looks like any meaningful amount of damage stops your opponent from attacking. This looks completely contrary to your example under "Armour and Penetration" and isn't realistic, to boot.

Special Moves:
So special moves are just anything beyond swinging a sword?
It looks like they are picked up while training in a weapon skill, as opposed to feats limited to one every several "levels", correct?

Also, I would call them "Weapon Skills" or something similar.
I can't think of anyone who would call unbalancing or stunning an opponent delivering a "special move".
@erikun: OK.

Attributes/Stats
I'm thinking of adding in Willpower, for the (optional) fear system, and resisting pain (CON would also help here).
As for why I didn't pick something more unusual, I didn't see it as being advantageous. Since it follows well-known formula, it also makes it easy to understand.

Levels of Success:
Well, since I have a 0.1x mod for barely rolling success, there isn't much for failure. Failure in this case is the opponent parrying, or stepping out of reach, or even you deciding not to swing because of a bad angle, etc..
You have a good point about there being not enough levels of failure, though... This list can probably be improved upon either way. Maybe rolling a 1 would be... falling prone, dropping your weapon? Or more likely, I just have it easier to become unbalanced.

According to another fellow, tables make games go by fast, fast. However, it won't require a table forever. Eventually, people will remember that Great hits are 1.72+ times the CP, etc., and it's just running a couple of numbers through a calculator.
Multiplication is easy on a calculator. Take the number, and divide it by your CP. It'll come out as something like 1.72, also known as 172%. Compare to the table, until you get the idea for it (I'll add percentages of what the number is to the CP, later on. Be good to make the finished version of the table first). Just need some quick rounding, for when you get pointsomethingsomething digits.

Armour and Penetration:
Well, at least it isn't a problem with the system. I'll do that now.

If your target is wearing armour, and you hit, yes--that's what AP implies.

Umm... Not really sure how to reply to this. AP is, almost fully, a damage modifier as you observe, for purposes of armour penetration calculation. It can take into account level of success, damage/power/size of the weapon, your STR bonus, and the penetration level of the weapon used. I also have a rule in that stops you from doing more damage than your original roll.
With the numbers done right, this is close to perfect.

Stances:
The weapon, your skill with it, and what you're trying to do are all important.

Sadly, there's little way to avoid bonuses/penalties from various circumstances, so one may as well put Stances in with the circum. The current numbers are just place-holders till I work out a better set of numbers or function. I'd want it to be easy numbers which make sense, like +/-50%, 25%, etc..
As for why Mobile stance is penalized, that's for the simple fact that if you're putting extra concentration and efforts into moving around, your ability to hit the other guy is hindered, and it's generally easier to hit someone who doesn't have perfect balance, as you don't when you're moving particularly fast. Power-Striking more because you're focusing on hitting hard, instead of accurately, or defending with your weapon as much.
Defaulting to no stance means your enemy doesn't know what you plan to do that turn, of course ("Is he going to run as I charge him, or does he plan to stab me when I get close...?").

Giving more attacks is an interesting idea, and I would like to follow that line in some ways, but giving extra attacks sounds like a good way to unbalance combat--which is meant to be made up of 1-second rounds. Techniques already give the option for Flurry, several attacks, and etc..
Strategy comes from use of techniques, positioning, and realization of your own skills (ie: stats) vs. the enemy's, equipping yourself for the task at hand, picking your fights, and measuring your chances accurately. Deciding whether to fight from a defensive, reluctant stance, or from an aggressive, risky stance are part of this.

Not sure what you mean by this, all three paragraphs would be considered related by the rules of the English language.
As to how it's contrary to what I wrote in Armour Penetration, that is also a questionable statement. They're different subjects, certainly--in fact, they don't appear to make reference to one and other. .-...-....-...-. Well, thinking on it, you might be referring to the bit on the pierced heart, where he didn't attack because his heart was pierced. Might've forgotten about my plans for this and done that, but a point is that he wouldn't be able to attack next round.
--
For the realism part, this is understandable--I wouldn't have believed this either, and still have trouble. To describe it one way... if you touch a hot stove, you'll instantly recoil with your hand, and possibly with the rest of your body. The expert I've had the pleasure of questioning had almost any hit cause you to flinch and ruin your attack, but I thought 5 points might be an accurate transfer of force and pain. However, might as well ask him a bit more, in case there are other details and reasons that should be better translated.

Special Moves:
Pretty much.
Basically, you can use any technique you can meet the requirements for: Skill, Weapon Mastery, and the weapon (you can't use shield bash without a shield). A few of the techniques won't be available till once every few "levels", still.

Doesn't really matter what they're called.
Not sure how many people you know, in that case.

No, it isn't. People just want it to be so that complicated=beurocracy="figure out this maze while I kindly go over here".

I like the system well enough. It's just I don't see it being used in anything sept a game specificaly designed for realism.
You and I seem to have a very simaler idea of how combat should look,
but your's actually complicates it further by suggesting there be d100s and large tables of modifiers... Bleh!

I'd say your's is kind of like what mine would look like if I gave enough of a crap to go that deep into it. Mine would basically look like

Armor=This
Attack=That
Damage=The other

Lets say for example a Largespear.

Attack: 1d10 Damage: 1

Lets say the person he's up against armor, after everything's figured out is, 3.

Well, under my system, that would mean the more he rolls on attack, the more he rolls on damage. Lets say he rolls a 9. That's 3 damage. I'm not the first person to come up with this. Zelda basically does this. With each heart representing 2HP. This largespear would be like when those moblins attack you with a spear. Notice when you're wearing the good tunics, they don't do any damage. Your armor is just too much to overcome. When you're not wearing a tunic, the damage is "random", but always on the low side.

Transitioning that to D&D wouldn't be that hard. Maybe just reverse the stats and have the largespear come at +1 bonus to attack rolls vs damage being d10. And everytime you meet the AC requirements, you get an extra d10. (Sortof like rewarding high attacks instead of random criticals)

This would require alot of tweeking either way. As under my system, suddenly warmages turn into tier-4 or tier-5 classes cause even a simple lesser orb of lightning becomes a "oh, your armor class was 12 and I met that requirement twice... so 10d8 damage for you!) So really it depends less on the mechanics and moreso what kind of game you're playing.

I basically talked alot more then I needed too. But I think you're on the right track dude.

I understand you want the math to make sense, but you have to ask yourself, if you were playing these rules in mid-game, are they adaptable? Could you compromise them for someone who's just rolling dice without forethought?
Is it capable of being bent to make circumstances higher or lower as a DM who wants something to be seen as different levels of competence?
Under my system, if I wanted to see my attack as unsurvivable, I'd just increase the attack bonus as damage bonus would just mean it hurts more once but attack means it hurts more then once. Your's might require adding a 0.5 somewhere...
@Corporate M: Reality is complicated, just that emulating it into a system doesn't need to be. Sometimes the minor details are nice to have, but for a system that isn't computer-worked... better to compress them and take a direct route to the same result.

Not really intending it for unrealistic games--though optional rules could make it a bit more movie-like (not that I recommend using them).
I guess we just look at it how it is :smallbiggrin:.
The 1d100s and chart aren't so bad, the amount of extra work needed being shockingly little. Would take half a session to get used to, of course.

I'd like it to be as realistic a system manageable, within the constraints of simplicity.

So, Roll - Armour / 2 = Damage? That is an interesting system, certainly, and it's pretty simple. Which way are numbers rounded?

Having it that each time you meet the AC you roll more damage is a good idea, also. I can imagine using those rules for a DnD game.

Though generally one would assume magic as powerful, realistically (being hit with a lightning bolt isn't something to sneeze at).
I need to work on the magic system, as well. Probably a combination of "it takes time" ("I can kill everyone one of you in five seconds of spell-casting!... OW! Stop killing me and let me finish my spell!"), and "it takes energy"--working in the TRoS idea that if you over-do it you'll lose from weeks to years of your lifespan. That's going to be interesting, working out... balancing will be less fun.

Good to talk lots, and think lots, when developing a system. Thanks Corporate M, your system sounds pretty good also.

Well, as far as I can see, any adaptation could be done pretty well, without complication. As for making it for people who just roll dice without thinking... that sounds a bit like designing an AI. The system won't be hard to learn, with a bit of trying it and looking at it, but if people go into a fight without considering what they're doing, they will die, sooner or later. As for considering numbers, you need to play it a bit, until you remember it to a scary extent like with DnD.

Well, depends on what you mean, but I'd say so--the Skill stat is what shows different levels of fighting competence.
You could do that simply by increasing the weapon damage or armour penetration. Or you could decrease the CP, which increases your chances of critical success. Depends on the circumstance and how you want to do it, not so hard either way.

Nice talking to both of you. The system is making its way to completion steadily. Thanks for the help in getting it this far!

EDIT: Talked to the expert on the Initiative thing. It's more complex than one can imagine. Some people don't realize their arm was blown off till a moment later, some get grazed by a bullet and faint. This is going to be Willpower and Constitution intensive, I'd say.

erikun
2010-05-12, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking of adding in Willpower, for the (optional) fear system, and resisting pain (CON would also help here).
I don't see much of an initial problem with it, especially when it adds to the game. The biggest thing to watch out for is attribute bloat (or be aware of needing to cut it down later).

Remember that D&D is not necessarily simple, intuitive, or realistic. You may want to focus on what stats your system will use rather than what stats match up with a given popular system. I should note that two of my examples were taken directly from TriStat and World of Darkness, two rather noteworthy systems.

To describe [realism] one way... if you touch a hot stove, you'll instantly recoil with your hand, and possibly with the rest of your body. The expert I've had the pleasure of questioning had almost any hit cause you to flinch and ruin your attack, but I thought 5 points might be an accurate transfer of force and pain.

EDIT: Talked to the expert on the Initiative thing. It's more complex than one can imagine. Some people don't realize their arm was blown off till a moment later, some get grazed by a bullet and faint.
This is kind of what I'm talking about. Accidentally setting your hand against a hot stove when you're not expecting it, and you will jump back in pain. Intentionally doing so which adrenaline pumping through your veins, and you may not even notice. It is surprisingly easy to not notice an injury, especially if there isn't anything to bring your attention to it. I've been working outdoors only to notice much later some pretty bad bumps and scratches.

Something like Willpower/Constitution for a "pain threshold" as to how much damage you can take without flinching? I don't think you will even find a realistic report on the factors which prevent someone from flinching at an injury while under adrenaline, so we want to devise a game construct which produces something believable.

Though generally one would assume magic as powerful, realistically (being hit with a lightning bolt isn't something to sneeze at).
Magic will be tricky no matter how it is done, as there isn't a realistic way to model magic (obviously). Nobody is going to survive an actual lightning strike or diving through magma, but nobody said that every wizard throws out a full power lightning strike every time.

Conners
2010-05-12, 08:03 PM
Mostly, I can do just as well with these stats with vaguer uses. It also has a good division between toughness and strength, intelligence and perception, etc..

I'm thinking more of TRoS, actually. No problem is using DnD naming.

You have your Pain Threshold from CON and WP (Willpower), then it'd be randomized in some way so you can never be sure (except that the tougher guy with more resolve can take more).

Indeed, magic is tricky. Still, I have a good outline that should make it surprisingly easy to use, but still powerful, yet balanced... but the outline will need details. Details are important.

You learn spells, much like Techniques. Things like levitate, zappy missile, light spell, etc..

There could be a CP just like with melee, and something where you can put extra power into the spell to decrease the CP to reachable-levels.

Failure could have harsh repercussions, like in TRoS, where you lose days to years of your lifespan from a spell gone wrong. The spell could also backfire and knock you out. Would want this to only happen when you roll really badly, or if you fail a second roll against the spell's backfiring (since armour-penetration and so forth don't need rolling, this isn't too bad).
Oh, you could put points into your defence against a spell backfiring, and you get half your points back if it doesn't backfire.

Magic Proficiencies, like "Movement", "Range", "Targeting", "Power", "Micro-Management," "Sight,". Something like that, maybe more could be added.
Movement is moving things, whether yourself in levitation, or a rock at anything from snails pace to many miles per hour.
Range is how far from you the spell works, as well as how far the target you cast it on can be.
Targeting would be your accuracy, and perhaps your ability to target what things (allows you to target objects with spells that only target living creatures, etc.).
Power is the power of the spell, controlling how much weight you can levitate, how big an explosion your fireball causes, how detailed your micro-scope spell is.
Micro-Management was the best name I could come up with for minor details of spells. Getting the magnetic-plates armour to work just right. Fiddling with the biology and DNA of a creature to make it into something else. Subtle things.
Sight for things like using your crystal ball to see distant places, reading minds, and seeing at microscopic level, as well as seeing through walls and such.

It seems like a good array, for now. As well as being required to cast spells, like with Weapon Masteries and Skill levels for Techniques, you could use these to justify the use of spells you've made up yourself.
Want to make someone's heart explode? High Targeting, Range depending on the distance of the target, moderate Sight to see your target, finishing with low Power to make the explosion. This, of course, would have a very high CP, and take a lot of power to make it doable.

Also need to factor in time... Three seconds isn't a long time normally, but you might get killed three times in that period. Spending magic to quicken spells would also be a possibility, making spellcasting a costly occupation to your mana, within the constraints of battle. Still, you could cast powerful spells when given the chance.

I'd also like to implement my Wizard idea, that wizards aren't so good at casting spells, and need time preparing ingredients, incantations, etc., as well as needing a staff or wand to transfer the energies. They are HIGHLY envious, jealous, and violent towards sorcerers, who can sling spells around naturally.
So, dependence on a magic implement, limited magic points for all but the best wizards, and necessity to prepare components.

Wizards are cheaper to make via point-buy, of course, so sorcerers aren't the definite-best-option. After all, if you're a beggar with not-so-great combat stats, even though you can cast mighty spells, you aren't doing so well in other ways.

Optional Rule:
DEADLY COMBAT

When you roll a failure in melee fighting. See how much under the CP you rolled (if it's a CP of 50, and you roll 40, that's 10 points under). Divide that number in half, and add it to the roll of your opponent's attack, if he attacks next (attacking at the same time doesn't count). If you attack again before your opponent gets to attack you, he doesn't get the bonus for your earlier failure.

So, Goblin has CP of 55, Goblin wins initiative, Goblin rolls 30 (55 - 30 = 25 points under) and misses. Ted the Barbarian has CP of 40, he rolls 30, the Goblin's failure adds 12 points to that, making it 42, and a Scathe.

Conners
2010-05-19, 10:56 AM
Here's a test fight I did. Seems to be going quite well. I'll post the systems I used to design this, later on:
Knight vs. Viking
38 CP 38
=
48 41

This is working out the cut-off point for each combatant. Your own Offence bonus lowers your CP(Cut-off Point), and your opponent's Defence raises your CP.

-------------------------
Round 1
Initiative: Viking

At the start of each round, a character rolls for initiative. This means they strike first, and might have other significances later. I haven't decided the exact specifics, but if you both roll within 10(?) points of each other, you strike simultaneously, which can end in double-deaths.

Viking(CP 41) = 25 Miss
Knight(CP 48) = 36 Miss

Neither of them hit. This could be seen as the two of them standing their ground, hesitating to move in and fight. Or it could be seen differently.

Round 2
Initiative: Knight
Knight(CP 48) = 76 Square Hit to Right Hand, for 16 x1.9 damage, 30. Hand severed, Bleeding value of 30 (Major Bleeding). Pain of 1d100 + 40 - CON and WIL values = 77, he's in Extreme Pain. His attack is interupted, and he's Unbalanced for 1 minute.

The Knight got a good success. What's more, he rolled very luckily on the Hit-Location table, scoring the unarmoured hand.

Viking collapses, having run out of HP, he can't stand all the pain and blood.

Another Viking teleports in, to continue the fight.

Round 1
Viking uses Shieldbash(CP 50): 94, Minor Critical, Knight is knocked down.
Knight loses attack and is toppled prone.

I tested Technique use here. Shieldbash usually just Unbalances the opponent, but it knocks them prone on a Minor Critical or better. The viking has a shield, but the Knight doesn't.

Round 2
Initiative automatically goes to Viking
Viking(CP 41) = 84, 11 x 1.78(1.75 + 0.3 STR) = 20 damage to Face. Axe splits the head horizontally, killing Knight.

Lots of lucky hits going on here...

A Knight spawns.

Round 1
Initative: Viking
Viking uses Flurry(CP 60): 40 Miss, 47 Miss, 14 Miss. Viking loses his WPN Mast bonus to Defence, till end of next round (-5 to Knight's CP = 43).

Things are starting to get more complicated, since I started splashing various self-notes all over the place. Skip the the conclusion if this gets to be confusing.

Knight tries to smash Viking's Buckler. Power Striking Stance (STR Bonus to damage x 2, Full OFF Bonus x 0.75, Full DEF Bonus x 0.75) + 3 CP = 46~~[Viking CP - 1 = 40] (CP 46): 68 Decent Hit, 16 Damage x 2.05 (1 + STR Bonus of 0.4 x 2) = 33 Damage x AP of 0.6 = 20 vs. DP of 20. Buckler smashes just barely, Viking discarding it. Shield Bonus lost. Knight exits Power Striking, CP - 3 = 40 (45 at end of next round)

Here, the Knight switched Stances, adjusting his Offence, Defence, and Damage capabilities. He managed to destroy the Viking's shield, barely. Shields have a DP(Destruction Point), where if they take their that much damage or more, they're rendered useless.

Round 2
Viking takes Defensive Stance (Full DEF x 1.5 [without WPN Mast bonus till end of this round], Full OFF x 0.5) CP is now 47~~(Knight's CP +1 = 41). Viking attacks(CP 47)! 38 Miss.
Knight attacks(CP 41)! 86 Perfect Hit to Left Shoulder. 16 Damage x 3.4(STR 0.4) = 54 x AP 0.6 = 32 vs 10 = 22 Damage to Left Shoulder, half-way severed. Roll for Artery Sever: 10, no artery severed. Bleeding Value 40, Major Bleeding. Pain of 1d100 + 56 - CON 12 - WIL 10 = +34. Roll 115, Viking is put into a Coma.

Conners
2010-06-12, 07:27 PM
Someone was kind enough to give me a book with 100 realistically statted medieval weapons. I'm working on a method of conversion from the system it was made for to my system now. I'll post a few when I'm comfortable with them.

Corporate M
2010-06-13, 12:19 AM
This system is actually simaler to my own, only I lean more toward simple then realistic.

The system isn't complete, it compliments your own but just dumbs it down. Attack/Damage are much more frontloaded. Attack vs Defense is X vs d100.

Say you have a handgun. A handgun has it's own attack, and you add your stat to it. A handgun's attack will say is 4d8. And your dexterity bonus increases that by 15. So maxed out, 48. That means your opponent has to roll a 48 or better to "dodge".

But then there's actual damage. I would keep the abstract HP, but unlike normal HP, it doesn't recover, you simply gain more along your adventures. Lets say you were a fighter, hit die d10 and roll good. 10+constitution score of 18=28HP. Damage of handgun is 2d8. So someone won't die from the first, or maybe even the second shot. But they won't recover from it either. Atleast not for awhile. It's going to be quite sometime before they find HP like that again. It's the concept of avoid combat rather then worry about if you can survive or beat the other guy. It isn't extremely realistic, it doesn't take into consideration permanent injuries or anything, but is a more arbitary injury system and you could roleplay that out.

Conners
2010-06-13, 06:44 AM
That does sounds like a pretty good system. While I plan to have Wounds, I hope to keep them pretty abstract, still.

Your system could be quite realistic, merely by having combat similarly deadly to reality. So, just by having high damage weapons, which can wipe out HP quickly if you're not cautious.
The wounds can be RPed deadly enough, too.

My system could be played similarly, but for now I'm going for a sort of intermediate level.

Eloi
2010-06-13, 06:49 AM
Hm, it seems more 'flexible and realistic' than 'simple and realistic' but that isn't a bad thing. I mean its not all that easy-to-learn but its a solid system, nonetheless.

Conners
2010-06-13, 08:58 AM
It's mostly as complicated as people like it to be--flexible as you rightly put it. HP can substitute for Wounds completely, if you lower the fresh-holds a bit.

Still, I don't believe it a complicated system in comparison. When it's finished, I'll write out the best possible tutorial. Planning to code some character sheets which do a lot of the work for you (put in your attributes and it'll work out most of the other stuff, is what I plan).

To make it simpler still, I'll need to make the CP table correspond to a linear formula (each five points raises the mod by 0.1, or something). There's other tricks I can use once I work out the system.

Samurai Jill
2010-06-14, 05:41 AM
I'm trying to construct the SRS (Simple Realism System) for my own and general use. This'd be it's own RPG from the ground up, made for two purposes: Realism in a fantasy DnD-like setting, and simplicity that won't burden play...
It would be possible to create a drastically cut-down version of the Burning Wheel combat system that would maintain most of the flavour. Which I did here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5260227&postcount=17), actually, though on reflection I'd probably tweak that system a bit.

But then there's actual damage. I would keep the abstract HP, but unlike normal HP, it doesn't recover, you simply gain more along your adventures. Lets say you were a fighter, hit die d10 and roll good. 10+constitution score of 18=28HP. Damage of handgun is 2d8. So someone won't die from the first, or maybe even the second shot. But they won't recover from it either. Atleast not for awhile. It's going to be quite sometime before they find HP like that again. It's the concept of avoid combat rather then worry about if you can survive or beat the other guy. It isn't extremely realistic, it doesn't take into consideration permanent injuries or anything, but is a more arbitary injury system and you could roleplay that out.
Hit points have nothing to do with realism. Indefinite accumulation of HP has even less to do with realism.
Classes have nothing to do with realism.
Rolling for HP per level was always a dumb idea.
Levels have nothing to do with realism.
Not being able to recover from damage is a killjoy and also has nothing to do with realism.

You can also toss out most aspects of initiative rolls, and even a combat grid isn't particularly useful.

Conners
2010-06-14, 06:36 AM
If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your revised system for ideas.

I'm familiar with Burning wheel from a "character creation quiz" I was interested in. Recall that it asked questions about whether your character has lived a violent profession, had children, etc., but not too much other than that.

Samurai Jill
2010-06-14, 09:09 AM
If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your revised system for ideas.
Please, by all means. Burning Wheel has a lot of solid ideas gone into it, the trouble being it's steep learning curve. If you liked TRoS, it's definitely worth a look.

Conners
2010-06-15, 09:05 AM
I'll make certain to look more deeply into it.

BTW, I think I revised the Damage and Success Level table more properly now. Trying to make it so you can work out the damage easily, without charts or calculators--with a bit of practice:

Cut-off Point is 50.
[Success Level] [Roll] [Damage modifier] [Notes]

Perfect: 100 250% With a lower CP, it's possible to roll even higher, increasing the damage further. However, it caps at 300% damage.
Critical: 95 225%
75 125%
Hit: 70 100% Your CP plus half-your-CP is a full-on hit. So for a CP of 60, this'd be 90.
60 50% The Damage percentage modifier increases by 20 every time 1/10 CP is added onto your CP. So in this case 1/10 of 50 is 5, so every 5 points over 50.
Scathe: 55 25% Scathe is your CP plus 1 tenth.
Scratch: 50 5% Scratch is when you roll your CP.
Near-miss: 45 - 49 0% No real effect, except that some Techniques work (or half-work) on a Near-Miss.
Miss: 25 - 44 0% Anything under a Near-Miss but above a Fumble.
Fumble: 6 - 24 0% You're Unbalanced if you Fumble.
Mistake: 1 - 5 0% Your Defence Bonus does not apply to enemies, till your next attack or until you've been attacked once (whichever comes first).

Alternate Chart:

[Success Level] [Result] [Damage modifier] [Notes]

Perfect: 200% 250% With a lower CP, it's possible to roll even higher, increasing the damage further. However, it caps at 300% damage.
Critical: 190% 225%

150% 125%
Hit: 140% 100% Your CP plus half-your-CP is a full-on hit. So for a CP of 60, this'd be 90.

120% 50% The Damage percentage modifier increases by 20 every time 1/10 CP is added onto your CP. So in this case 1/10 of 50 is 5, so every 5 points over 50.
Scathe: 110% 25% Scathe is your CP plus 1 tenth.
Scratch: 100% (CP) 5% Scratch is when you roll your CP.
Near-miss: 90% 0% No real effect, except that some Techniques work (or half-work) on a Near-Miss.
Miss: 25 - 44 0% Anything under a Near-Miss but above a Fumble.
Fumble: 6 - 24 0% You're Unbalanced if you Fumble.
Mistake: 1 - 5 0% Your Defence Bonus does not apply to enemies, till your next attack or until you've been attacked once (whichever comes first).

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-15, 09:58 AM
im thinking a skill tree. like magic splits into necromancy and healing, each thing (like magic or necromancy) can be used and upgraded.

e.g Dave casts raise undead (Dave gains 15 exp summon tier, 10 exp necromancy tier (Dave levels up in necromancy), 5 exp magic, 2.5 exp overall level) (choose 1 necromancy feat/spell/skill raise more undead, raise powerful undead, resurrect recently deceased, death's touch)

and the same can be used for other things like charisma and diplomacy

e.g Serena uses diplomacy/minor bluff*: it is a very large graveyard how about some more gold? (success) (Serena gains 15 exp diplomacy, 22.5 exp charisma (15 diplomacy+7.5 minor bluff) (Serena gains +1 to charisma:smallwink:), 7.5 exp bluff)

*minor = 1/2 exp 1/2 dice modifier.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-15, 10:11 AM
with combat i think that players should write down their turn
e.g 1. move north 2. cast raise undead south then south-east 3. move north-west

then 1 happens. after 1 happens then players can change their next move but they need to pass an on-the-fly check (concentration+reflex)
e.g 1. move north 2.attack swordsman
1 happens (Dave moves north, swordsman moves north)
Dave makes on-the-fly check to cast magic missile instead of attack empty space (Dave passes)
2 happens (Dave casts magic missile at swordsman, swordsman moves east, magic missile hits swordsman).

moving into same square: if 2 or more people move into the same square and 1 is not allied they 'brawl' that square is impassable until next turn. loser/s get hurt and shunted 1 square in any direction, they hexes surrounding the brawl are dangerous terrain (flying punches and kicks)

imp_fireball
2010-06-15, 06:13 PM
There's a few things you missed here.

Some weapons, like scythes, should add to criticals.

Also, particularly high attack rolls should ignore armor completely (full plate is very hard to ignore completely). Armor should add to the cut off edge to determine where armor penetration applies.

Material with hardness greater then another material should add to the overall armor penetration value of the weapon. For example, steel with 10 hardness has +3 AP over copper armor. Copper has 7 hardness. An actual steel weapon may not have hardness equal to 1 inch of steel, but the static hardness value of steel shouldn't be ignored.

If a steel sword tries to penetrate mithril armor for example, it has -5 AP. 1 inch of mithril has 15 hardness compared to 1 inch of steel.

Shields that are larger then bucklers might offer bonuses to the cut off point when fighting defensively.

Large creatures have a penalty to cut off point compared to smaller creatures.

A creature can choose to overpower another creature by swatting them to the side. They do not add strength to their damage with a weapon in this way, but they can check the enemy (prevent them from moving, if their strength is higher then the enemy's but they failed to swat them; drastic failures result in nothing except weapon damage against armor) or push them in some direction (similar to a bull rush check). If the check was very high above the defender's cut off point, then the creature might even fall prone.

When several characters land hits on each other, roll initiative to see who struck first. A blow of 5(?) or more points of damage, regardless of armour (even if it'd reduce the damage to 0), will stop the other character's attack.

How about a second attack roll against the other creature's attack (or strength check) will stop that creature's attack if it succeeds. This is after the initiative check.

Also:

Death Throes A creature that is at half hp must roll (Con or Fort or whatever; equivalent to 1/2 damage of the last attack that hit them + 8 perhaps) to determine if they are staggered. When staggered, they bleed and can only perform a number of actions as 'staggered' in the d20 3.5 SRD. As usual, they fall unconscious when at less then 0 hp. A drastic failure on a check to determine if the creature is staggered means that not only are they staggered, but they cannot perform any actions during the round - they must roll another check to determine if they can perform any actions for each round thereafter. A high success indicates that they need not to continue rolling for consecutive rounds, however they may choose to roll again (equivalent to free action once per round or swift action) to eliminate the staggered condition.

NOTE: In real life, people are usually staggered for much longer then in D&D. Also, tough people will probably be staggered for a lot longer and have a greater hp gap then merely 1 hp.

Dying and Unconscious

A creature's death threshold (-10 hp in normal D&D) is negative hp equal to their Con score + fortitude save modifier + 1/2 will save modifier (round down to nearest whole number) + total HD + 6 per size category greater then medium (unless specified otherwise; sound good?). Drastic failure to stabilize (10 or more; DC = 5 + damage that dropped them to dying condition) means that the creature will bleed for 2d6 rounds before being granted another check to stabilize. The 'toughness' feat adds 3 to a creature's death threshold, in addition to 3 hp to its total hp.

NOTE: In real life, some animals will bleed for what seems like hours before finally dying. Ie. A standard elephant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elephant.htm) in the d20 SRD will die at -59 hp. The elephant's Con score is 21, its total HD is 11, Fort save modifier is 12, size huge gives it another 12 adjustment and its will save modifier is 6, giving an additional adjustment of 3.

Bleeding A creature that bleeds can, at their option, roll a check once per round (Con or Fort or whatever) to see if they recover from the ill effects of blood loss or stop blood loss entirely. This is substituted for a heal check to stop blood loss, because the person is recovering on their own. This can be done while the creature is unconscious.

Save or Dies: An attack that is 'save or die', that results in a failed save will never immediately kill. Instead, the creature will be at -1 hp and 'dying' and usually remaining so for up to 2d6 rounds until granted a check to stabilize (unless successfully healed with a heal check before then). Some save or dies, such as poisons can be altered to make the creature be rendered 'dying' for longer.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-15, 07:16 PM
i like the staggered effect and the death throes but i think it should be 1/4 instead of 1/2 hp before it activates.

Conners
2010-06-15, 10:42 PM
@newD&Dfan: Wasn't really thinking of skill trees or experience/levels, so much as point-buy systems. Magic would have "Proficiencies", like, Power, Range, Targeting, Longevity, and other more-specific proficiencies.
--
There'd be different levels of each proficiency. So, if you're trying to attacking something invisible with a spell, that might be Targeting 2. And if you want a spell to last for 100 years, that might be Longevity 3.
You make custom spells by combining proficiencies, which in turn increase the time and difficulty to cast said spells.

With Diplomacy, I consider Techniques for it, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. Mostly, it would have a similar Cut-off Point mechanic, but perhaps in more of a tug-of-war style.
HEAVY influence from the personalities and RP situations from the characters--if the guard just hates your guts for no reason, that could be a steep penalty. Don't think that you can convince your worst enemy to be your friend with some good rolls either. The situation modifiers include bribes, if the person will get in trouble for agreeing with what you propose, and other fun details.

Writing down the actions sounds like a good idea. Makes it easier to remember and stops half-way mind-changes.

If two characters enter the same square, they'd collide. One could instigate a grapple quite easily this way, or they might back away once blows have been traded. That's the thought for now, at least.
Dangerous terrain wouldn't exactly function into it, so much as the problem of not hitting your buddy. Plus, you can't be fully certain the other guy won't turn around and slash you if you're too careful about your pal.
--
You might have a 30% - 50% chance of hitting the wrong guy, depending on the situation. You could try and wrestle the enemy off of them, or get in close with a knife, though.

@imp_fireball: I am aware that there are many facets I will not have considered, or reached yet. Help in realizing these areas is very welcome.

Weapons
Not sure, at this stage, whether this should be the case. Scythes would tend to have higher Damage but lower AP(armour penetration), so it would already be the thing that the scythe does more damage on criticals.
On the other hand, with say, stabbing someone with a sword, you don't just yank it out again, you slice it through the body as you pull it out. That might be what a "more damage of criticals" is... I will consider this. Thank you for bringing it up.

As for ignoring armour, that seems more like a job for Techniques.
They wearing a fine breastplate, with barely any weak-points? Well, stabbing that thing might be useless, but they DO have a fine head exposed up above that armour... an Aimed Attack might do you well.
Got someone in tank-like plate-harness? Tackle is a good way to get them on the ground. Then if you draw a dagger, "Dagger-of-Mercy" is a nice Technique which ignores armour.

Material
Got a nice book with 100 weapons I'm trying to re-stat to my system. Also, I'm pondering about the very thing you suggest. They have different materials in this book I was lent, from Copper and Iron and Steel, to Tempered Steel. Need to keep things simple, since that's the goal of the system, but I do want this to be part of it.

Might just have static increases to AP, Armour, and Damage, to keep it simple. Need to work out a easy-to-use, non-bogging weapon-breakage system.

Shields
That is a point. Although... they do in a way already. Defensive Stance is something like a 50% bonus to your Defence, right? Well, Shields add to your Defence.
---
Normal you: +10 Defence. When Defensive: +15 Defence
With Shield: +12 Defence. When Defensive: +18 Defence.
---
The higher your shield's value, the more the Defensive Stance Bonus will be.

Large Creatures
Not sure if large creatures really get penalties. Larger creatures have longer arms, typically, and reach is important. If they were particularly slow for some reason - and this is more on the creature's race - then they'd get reduced CP.

That would be an interesting Technique. Like Weapon/Shield Knock-away, but with people--if you're strong enough. Would push them around, with a chance of knocking them over.
I'll really need to write up these ideas for Techniques as I think them up...

BTW, I changed my mind about the "5 HP of damage stops attack" bit. Will have a system with Pain Rolls.
That'd be a Defensive Technique, where you focus on defending rather than striking. Besides that, you already have a Defence skill which makes you harder to hit.
--
You could perform one Defensive skill per attacker, I'd say (perhaps it'd be limited by your Skill?). Stuff like Parry, Duck-and-Weave, Dodge.

Death Throes
Wondering if this is better left to Pain and Bleeding rolls. HP is sort of your Endurance. It comes into play more with Boxing and the like, since the punches rarely do any Wounds with serious damage, so much as they drain your stamina.
True that someone at low HP is likely staggered, and not fighting well. Might say that they're Unbalanced till they recover? A Constitution+Willpower roll against some difficulty might be a good idea (or just, you can go CON+WIL turns after X without being Unbalanced).

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go ponder a while...
Hmm... Well, I don't want to have too many rolls. So, it might be better to just have it at half HP you become Unbalanced, or "if you take one half your HP in damage" you're Unbalanced, maybe. WIL and CON increase HP, so they do have an effect.

Dying and Unconscious
This is highly dependant on the wound, really. People can survive being cut in half for several terrible minutes. Instant death is very rare, reserved for heart and brain wounds largely. By the end of it, I'd say leave it unstated and see if players will save their friends in time, or if someone is going to stab them dead.

Bleeding
I don't know if this is really possible. There probably are cases of someone recovering on their own from injuries which often kill.... But I'm not sure how feasible it really is. Would be better off walking to hospital with the partially-punctured heart (someone did this) than toughing it out.

Lots of good pointers here. Thanks once again for that, imp_fireball :)!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 10:43 AM
@Connors the point/buy system doesn't really work in a realism setting. the experience works slightly better, it may need honing but it seems like the best system so far. do you know any other systems or variations of systems that work better and match reality (to a degree)?

the Proficiencies you describe seem to be Meta-magic feats from D&D while mine are more along the lines of summon creature 1 -> summon creature 2
it is possible to have both but would again take some honing to iron out the bugs. how about you have default spells (e.g ball of *select element here*) with normal chance of success and time spent BUT you can choose to add *learning in progress* meta-magic feats that take up time or difficulty:

e.g 1. Dave attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 50%* increase element damage meta-magic) at swordsman. CU check= 55. rolls 75. Dave casts spell (Dave gains 10% learning {1/2 surplus in learning, rounded UP to nearest whole number} Dave has 60% learnt increase elemental damage for fireball)

i also think that if you roll a perfect 100 you have to roll again to see if you auto learn the skill/meta-magic at an identical DC check (you still have a hit at 100).
e.g 1. Serena attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 20%* increase Range meta-magic) at swordsman. CU check= 58. rolls 100. Hits swordsman. (DC check= 58 for instant-learn. rolls 72. Serena learns range meta-magic for fireball. fireballs now go 2 hexes further than before.)

As you learn the spell it should become easier to cast:
e.g 3. Dave attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 0%* increase element damage meta-magic) at Serena. CU check= 60. rolls 63. Dave casts spell (Dave gains 3% learning. Dave now has 3% learning for increase element damage.)
Serena attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 77% {round to nearest 10}* increase elemental damage meta-magic) at Dave. CU check= 52. rolls 65. ( Serena gains 13% learning. Serena now has 90% learning for increase elemental damage)

i think that techniques would be a branch of diplomacy that open up with training, gets right stats or right feats/proficiencies.
e.g diplomacy- charm (technique)
- stand over (technique)

with techniques: do you consider them to be stances or actions that can be augmented with specific diplomacy (or more specific) stances?

i think that long weapons and long arms might give an 'attack from two hexes (in straight line) away option' but it should be included in the stats of the creature/race or weapon, have downsides (minus to hit? damage? both?) and they can stack (giving a 3 hex away rule)

__________________________________________________ ____________

Stances: i think that attack, standard and defense stances should be mandatory (except if the class/race specifically says so) and others are class-based (like arcane spellcasting-stance) race-based (like stalwart dwarf) or are learnt through the skill tree (strength- immovable- unbreakable stance lvl1) and can be upgraded through use or maybe if we add in a points/buy system like Connors said.

Cut-Off Points: i think that increases or decreases to difficulty should happen to the dice so as not to mess with the maths involved on the table.
e.g (simplified) swordsman attacks Dave with sword buffing with (30% learning increase damage) CU= 57. rolls (79- 7 for difficulty) 72. on the hit table that is a decent hit doing 1.25 damage. that seems simple enough right?

Board: which board do you think we should use? squares or hexes? squares are classic but hexes can be better in most situations (flanking, strategies multiple-combat). Squares usually end up with a long line of duels rather than a lined-up battle while hexes allow soldiers backing up friends next to them and can act more realistic in that setting.

please feel free to improve on my ideas or discredit them as you see fit.
sorry about the massive post but i had a bunch of ideas whirling around my head. :smallredface:

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 11:41 AM
My Proposed Turn System Breakdown: I propose that turns are 5-10 seconds long instead of 1 second. each turn consists of around 5 actions that are 1-2 seconds long. each character has a set of actions they can make (3 moves per turn, 2 spells, 5 attacks.) each player writes down 5 (give or take depending on DM, spell effects etc) actions (this should take around 90 seconds). after every character has a full turn list the first action happens. After everything has been resolved for that action the players have 30 seconds to survey the board and state a change-of-plan, this should trigger an on-the-fly check to see if they change their plans (major success= beats CU by 20+), change plans but get -3 for everything that turn
(minor success= beats CU by 0-19), does original plan (minor failure= loses CU by 1- 20) or confused/fall over (major failure= loses CU by 21+).
etc.

Attacks of opportunity: should these be included in this fast-paced game?
i think so but won't press it if you tell me too. i think moving away from a hex next to an enemy that isn't connected to one of their enemies (except you of course) needs a (dodge?) check for avoiding attacks of opportunity (maybe feats/meta-feats against it?).
Spell Opportunity: when a caster doesn't have a feat/skill/stance that allows (dodge?) (spell?) checks to see if it causes opportunity attacks it automatically does so. (maybe feats/meta-magic against it?)
Some Skill Opportunity(?)
Uber Missed Attacks(?).
Some Weapons Opportunity when they normal miss(?). flails? double-bladed weapons?
Retaliation: *free action* if someone fails to hit you and you have specific weapons/items (Sworn Vengeance as Sword/shield/bow/anything that allows this?)

Custom Stances: can a player make a stance as he plays?
e.g swordsman constantly increases his standard attack and defense stance to be more defensive and more aggressive respectively. Can he (over the course of a game) get rid of (gain -1, -2 etc for points to level up feats meta-feats {like meta-magic but with non-caster things like increase accuracy}) and gain feats and meta-feats and essentially create a stance that doesn't move much but can block tonnes of attacks and give as good as it gets. can he call it something else and still retain standard attack/defense stance?

Double Strike Initiative: when two people of similar build and weapons roll equal (maybe within 10 but higher roller gets a bonus?) in initiative when attacking each other (very unlikely) they should enter a Clash (unless the weapon description says they can't. you know in movies when people are sword fighting and their swords lock together. that's a Clash. roll a D20 + strength + weapon proficiency (if you have used that type of weapon often). the winner is the person who wins best out of three rolls. every time someone loses the winner acts like they hit him anywhere they choose and do normal damage etc. when someone wins outright (wins the second time) they push the other player out of the hex (any of the 8 sides) and do another attack (separate from the second) if it does more than the loser's CON modifier +2 they are knocked prone (i can't find any rules for it. let's say it takes a move to get up). a Clash lasts 2 moves after the collision. ( action 1: They both attack each other: it becomes clash. do first roll for winner. action 2: Second roll for winner (if winner is decided now you still have to do the third roll).
action 3: last roll for winner. loser pushed back and damage done. both winner and loser finish their turn, even if they can still legally move.

sorry for the double post (stupid whirling ideas) :smallbiggrin:

imp_fireball
2010-06-16, 01:00 PM
Need to work out a easy-to-use, non-bogging weapon-breakage system.

May be too complex to add wear and tear. I'd just go with sunder rules.

As for using hexes rather then squares - squares result in a long line of duels? Doesn't really make sense. I guess it's just psychological. I mean it's only an extra 4 spaces surrounding one space.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 05:46 PM
it's harder to see two armies lined up on squares attacking anyone but the person in front of them while hexes show the possibility. if you got 100 people playing the same game with the same rules against the same army they would play differently on hex board than to a square board (more flanking less head on).
I think that weapons should occasionally break in battle but should be repaired like you are healed.
does anyone have an objection to my turn/action system? the clash system? using hexes?

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 09:31 PM
is anyone here? hello?

Conners
2010-06-16, 10:52 PM
@Connors the point/buy system doesn't really work in a realism setting. the experience works slightly better, it may need honing but it seems like the best system so far. do you know any other systems or variations of systems that work better and match reality (to a degree)?

the Proficiencies you describe seem to be Meta-magic feats from D&D while mine are more along the lines of summon creature 1 -> summon creature 2
it is possible to have both but would again take some honing to iron out the bugs. how about you have default spells (e.g ball of *select element here*) with normal chance of success and time spent BUT you can choose to add *learning in progress* meta-magic feats that take up time or difficulty:

e.g 1. Dave attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 50%* increase element damage meta-magic) at swordsman. CU check= 55. rolls 75. Dave casts spell (Dave gains 10% learning {1/2 surplus in learning, rounded UP to nearest whole number} Dave has 60% learnt increase elemental damage for fireball)

i also think that if you roll a perfect 100 you have to roll again to see if you auto learn the skill/meta-magic at an identical DC check (you still have a hit at 100).
e.g 1. Serena attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 20%* increase Range meta-magic) at swordsman. CU check= 58. rolls 100. Hits swordsman. (DC check= 58 for instant-learn. rolls 72. Serena learns range meta-magic for fireball. fireballs now go 2 hexes further than before.)

As you learn the spell it should become easier to cast:
e.g 3. Dave attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 0%* increase element damage meta-magic) at Serena. CU check= 60. rolls 63. Dave casts spell (Dave gains 3% learning. Dave now has 3% learning for increase element damage.)
Serena attempts to cast Fireball with (*learning in progress 77% {round to nearest 10}* increase elemental damage meta-magic) at Dave. CU check= 52. rolls 65. ( Serena gains 13% learning. Serena now has 90% learning for increase elemental damage)

i think that techniques would be a branch of diplomacy that open up with training, gets right stats or right feats/proficiencies.
e.g diplomacy- charm (technique)
- stand over (technique)

with techniques: do you consider them to be stances or actions that can be augmented with specific diplomacy (or more specific) stances?

i think that long weapons and long arms might give an 'attack from two hexes (in straight line) away option' but it should be included in the stats of the creature/race or weapon, have downsides (minus to hit? damage? both?) and they can stack (giving a 3 hex away rule)

__________________________________________________ ____________

Stances: i think that attack, standard and defense stances should be mandatory (except if the class/race specifically says so) and others are class-based (like arcane spellcasting-stance) race-based (like stalwart dwarf) or are learnt through the skill tree (strength- immovable- unbreakable stance lvl1) and can be upgraded through use or maybe if we add in a points/buy system like Connors said.

Cut-Off Points: i think that increases or decreases to difficulty should happen to the dice so as not to mess with the maths involved on the table.
e.g (simplified) swordsman attacks Dave with sword buffing with (30% learning increase damage) CU= 57. rolls (79- 7 for difficulty) 72. on the hit table that is a decent hit doing 1.25 damage. that seems simple enough right?

Board: which board do you think we should use? squares or hexes? squares are classic but hexes can be better in most situations (flanking, strategies multiple-combat). Squares usually end up with a long line of duels rather than a lined-up battle while hexes allow soldiers backing up friends next to them and can act more realistic in that setting.

please feel free to improve on my ideas or discredit them as you see fit.
sorry about the massive post but i had a bunch of ideas whirling around my head. :smallredface: A point-buy system makes for a more realistic character creation. As for "levelling up", it's true that it doesn't make sense if the fighter increases his Charisma after a daring exploit fighting kobolds, but that's up to the GM to require plausible reasons for a given stat being raised.
The main reason to avoid a experience system, is that it can become tediously hard to track. Something like Elder Scrolls would be good in a game, but it is not something that sees much use in tabletop gaming.

I don't know much about the meta-magic feats, but I'm basing it closer to TRoS' magic proficiency system, which is basically free-form-magic. There'd be a lot of pre-made spells, which players are expected to use, with custom spells being something that takes time to make.

Learning spells by casting them does sound fun, but it would need to be greatly simplified. As for roll 100.. just let them learn the spell automatically. It's not a 1 in 20 chance, it's a 1 in 100 chance.

Techniques are actions, Stances are Stances. I don't think Diplomacy feats is the way to go, as things go on. It seems more up to roleplaying, quick-thinking, use of the situation, and straight rolls based on your abilities. Getting deeply into it with Argument, Persuasion, Diplomacy and other such abilities would become VERY complex, since diplomacy isn't something simple--nor is it easily made to fit a system.

Creatures with long-enough arms could reach several squares. It's a give-in that stuff like 20-foot halberds will reach more than one square--they'll also give penalties for close-range.

------

Offensive, Defensive, Power-Striking and Mobile are basic stances, as they're just a focus on a particular aspect of what you're doing--anyone could do that poorly. Advanced stances may be good, though I won't use skill-trees. The ones you get would probably be more beneficial than typical stances...
Stalwart Dwarf might be... keeping your ground, resistance to any attempts to move you. Can't move while in Stalwart Dwarf Stance, but you do get bonuses to Defence and Attack--maybe damage.
Wizards having a stance to focus on spell-casting and not defend themselves is a good idea, and something to the contrary.

Modifying the rolls and modifying the cut-off point are very, very different things. As a cut-off point gets lower, successes become not only easier to obtain, but greater. The advantage to editing the CP is that characters who are more skilled have clearer chances and greater results of success. Bonuses to the numbers rolled will either not make a lot of difference on a 1d100, or make too much difference. It's possible that both CP and Bonuses editing are equally confusing to track, but having your CP for each situation written down is helpful.

I prefer hexes, though I don't have enough experience with them to tell fully.

I enjoy tackling massive posts filled with ideas. I sadly have the habt of making even longer responses, however. Thank you for your interest, and the nice ideas.

My Proposed Turn System Breakdown: I propose that turns are 5-10 seconds long instead of 1 second. each turn consists of around 5 actions that are 1-2 seconds long. each character has a set of actions they can make (3 moves per turn, 2 spells, 5 attacks.) each player writes down 5 (give or take depending on DM, spell effects etc) actions (this should take around 90 seconds). after every character has a full turn list the first action happens. After everything has been resolved for that action the players have 30 seconds to survey the board and state a change-of-plan, this should trigger an on-the-fly check to see if they change their plans (major success= beats CU by 20+), change plans but get -3 for everything that turn
(minor success= beats CU by 0-19), does original plan (minor failure= loses CU by 1- 20) or confused/fall over (major failure= loses CU by 21+).
etc.

Attacks of opportunity: should these be included in this fast-paced game?
i think so but won't press it if you tell me too. i think moving away from a hex next to an enemy that isn't connected to one of their enemies (except you of course) needs a (dodge?) check for avoiding attacks of opportunity (maybe feats/meta-feats against it?).
Spell Opportunity: when a caster doesn't have a feat/skill/stance that allows (dodge?) (spell?) checks to see if it causes opportunity attacks it automatically does so. (maybe feats/meta-magic against it?)
Some Skill Opportunity(?)
Uber Missed Attacks(?).
Some Weapons Opportunity when they normal miss(?). flails? double-bladed weapons?
Retaliation: *free action* if someone fails to hit you and you have specific weapons/items (Sworn Vengeance as Sword/shield/bow/anything that allows this?)

Custom Stances: can a player make a stance as he plays?
e.g swordsman constantly increases his standard attack and defense stance to be more defensive and more aggressive respectively. Can he (over the course of a game) get rid of (gain -1, -2 etc for points to level up feats meta-feats {like meta-magic but with non-caster things like increase accuracy}) and gain feats and meta-feats and essentially create a stance that doesn't move much but can block tonnes of attacks and give as good as it gets. can he call it something else and still retain standard attack/defense stance?

Double Strike Initiative: when two people of similar build and weapons roll equal (maybe within 10 but higher roller gets a bonus?) in initiative when attacking each other (very unlikely) they should enter a Clash (unless the weapon description says they can't. you know in movies when people are sword fighting and their swords lock together. that's a Clash. roll a D20 + strength + weapon proficiency (if you have used that type of weapon often). the winner is the person who wins best out of three rolls. every time someone loses the winner acts like they hit him anywhere they choose and do normal damage etc. when someone wins outright (wins the second time) they push the other player out of the hex (any of the 8 sides) and do another attack (separate from the second) if it does more than the loser's CON modifier +2 they are knocked prone (i can't find any rules for it. let's say it takes a move to get up). a Clash lasts 2 moves after the collision. ( action 1: They both attack each other: it becomes clash. do first roll for winner. action 2: Second roll for winner (if winner is decided now you still have to do the third roll).
action 3: last roll for winner. loser pushed back and damage done. both winner and loser finish their turn, even if they can still legally move.

sorry for the double post (stupid whirling ideas) :smallbiggrin: That is, indeed, highly confusing. While the realism of the confusion has it's advantages, I'm not sure how fun that'd be. As for casting several attacks, multiple spells, and turns lasting 10 seconds--realize that some fights didn't last more than 1 second. 5 Attacks might've killed your enemy five times over. 3 moves would be complex to track, and require the dislikeable system of Attacks of Opportunity, which while not a terrible system, has terrible complexity.

Remember that the idea of the system is to be easy to pick up, and easy to use. Having players roll any sort of defence shouldn't be ,mandatory, except for the rare occasion where someone bursts into the room and they have no weapons, so they roll acrobatics to try and back-flip through the window. Defensive Techniques I mentioned would still be available, but that's if you decide not to attack. Fighting so Defensively as this, either way, is a bad idea (you'll roll less than your enemies at some point).
Spells you mention would come down to specific spells designed for that purpose. Retaliation might be possible for some rare, powerful magic, or it could simply be two attacks per round. Terrible rolls on attack would be Fumbles and Mistakes, which can do you in very badly.

Making stances would be all right with good consideration of the stance you are giving them, and good reason for them to have this stance. With enough stances pre-made, however, it may become impossible for someone to have a stance which isn't over-powered, unbalanced, or just silly. Still, it may be possible, so if a player can come up with a reasonable stance idea and statistics, and has the points/whatever to learn it, then might as well.
Wouldn't have rules for it, though.

This is an interesting idea, but, "movies" is the key word here. If you look at videos of long-sword fighting, you'll notice both combatants moving, and their sword moving with them. The objective is to stop your enemy's sword from being able to stab you, while angling your own sword around to stab the enemy.
A "Lock-Weapons" Technique would be good, though, and it could be used for good effect during a double-strike. Something very fun that tend to happen, in that rare event weapons are locked, is that one combatant will drop their weapon and tackle into the other's waist. Wrestling has a big part in weapon-fighting.
Still, if no one tried that, and weapons were locked, it could go much like you suggest. Strength contest, loser is pushed out, and either unbalanced or knocked prone.

No need to worry too much about that, I'd suppose. You aren't trolling, after all.

@imp_fireball: Problem with Sunder rules, is that weapons rarely break from a couple of hard swings. More if you keep poor maintenance and the weapon is in constant use.
Anything with wear-and-tear would have to be kept super-simple, and be optional even then. Mostly, the GM would assign damage to the weapons based on what happened in the battle, and how much use the weapon has seen.
Better to keep it as on-the-fly DMing, for interesting story and realism, at that rate.

Mostly, it doesn't matter which you use. Still, may as well use hexes.

@newD&Dfan: Padded armour may need stitching to repair, but I doubt any weapon needs a month's bed-rest for their hilt or shaft to knit. Magical healing is based on increasing regenerative abilities (with some exceptions). A regenerating sword would be appreciative, if appreciation was another talent it possessed.

We are still here. Just that on forums, replies are often slow to arrive. If one's lucky, they can get a good conversation going in one day. More often, you see a reply once every day or two.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get to cataloguing.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 11:26 PM
i'll right up some meta-magic feats spells and anything that crosses my mind:

are we going to have Mana? do different spell-casters have different names/recharge ways?

do we have classes? how many classes should we have? do they all get rudimentary magic/spells/whatever?

Spells: ball of elements (this is a 10-spell-in-1 thing, every element you think should go here can BUT for the sake of Meta-magic feats fireball and iceball are DIFFERENT SPELLS
e.g Dave has fireball with increased elemental damage(4) AND iceball with Range(2) they do not stack fireball goes normal distance and iceball does normal damage (most casters wouldn't use 2 element balls but i just thought I'd say it).
raise undead, (raise D6 standard zombies, meta-magic feats: more zombies, powerful zombies, no attack of opportunity for cast etc).
sense living (sees all living creatures except invisible, undead, too far away.(meta magic= see undead, invisible, increase range.

how many different races? undead playable? Demi-gods? demi-fiends? etc? alignment? how complex (2 variables
{G vs E} - infinite)? become undead in game?

how are campaigns dealt with? standard number of people in adventuring party? soloing? Boss vs Horde ratio? Cap on number of Feats/skills/stances/*insert variable here* you can get?

that's all i can think of right now. i'll remember more later though :smallsigh::smallfrown:

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 11:56 PM
you don't have to use all you attacks or moves in your turn. the 5 attacks are for swordsman who are good at it vs horde style battles (could also be used for Boss Battles.)
I think that when you start to learn something it does half-damage
e.g Dave casts fireball (1D4 fire damage) with (*learning skill 0%* increase element damage (1D4) succeed. roll to hit 1D4 divided by 2 +1D4.
serena casts same spell except she has learn 50% same things happen. 1D4 divide by 1.5 rounding down.
if a spell is cast and it gives a feat/meta-magic/meta-feat it is cast as if a 90 had been rolled (this isn't counted if actual roll is higher).

i think you misunderstood me earlier about custom stances.
e.g swordsman has aggressive stance. swordsman asks DM to create 2 aggressive stances, one to keep as aggressive the other (called aggro) to sell bonuses (like defense or spellcasting) into - numbers. he now has -4defence -4spellcasting +2 mobility, +2 attack, 5 stance level up points (can be used to level up any stance stat in one burst. only obtainable through leveling up as a character(?) and selling unneeded skills (like spellcasting). swordsman can buy stance stats like attack, defend, mobility etc.

Conners
2010-06-17, 12:44 AM
That'd be Spells. I'll show the format they go in, more or less: Magic Spells

Proficiencies include: Power, Targeting, Range, Longevity, Control, Sight, Animation, Transmutation, and possibly some others.

Proficiencies have 3 levels. Add up the Proficiency levels and multiply by 10 to get the CP (so Targeting 2 and Power 1 would be 2 + 1 x 10 = 30).
A "*" next to the level means you can use a higher or lower level, if you want, and have the same spell with somewhat different effects.

The spell-casting time is equal to the number of Proficiencies used. So if a spell is Power 1 or Power 3, it takes 1 second to cast. If a spell is Power 2, Targetting 3, it takes 2 seconds to cast. You can pay Mana to quicken spells.

Example Format:

[Name] [Proficiency] [Level]; [Proficiency] [Level]; [etc.]
[Base CP] - [Modifiers which lowers the CP][etc.] + [Modifiers which raise the CP][etc.]

Any Requirements for the Spell.
Extra details

[Time needed to cast spell, normally]
[Effects of Spell]

Magic Missile Power 1*; Targeting 2.
30CP - Magic - Mana Spent

Requires a target.
Can be deflected with weapons and shields. 30CP + Target's Full Defence to hit.

2 seconds.
7 Energy Damage, ignores most armour.

There will be Mana. Used to quicken spells, make spells more powerful, make spells more likely to succeed, etc.. As far as I can tell, everyone just needs to rest to recover Mana.

No classes. Point-buy. There are some class-like aspects... A Sorcerer can fling spells around freely, a wizard has a lot of problems. Clerics have a different style of magic.

See the format I'm using before you start writing up spells, please XD.

I plan to have differences between human cultures, based on upbringing and genetics. Also, between elves, where the High Elves of the Empire are more Social-inclined, and the Wood Elves of their smaller forest homes are more ranger-style. Will throw in stuff with dwarves where the ones who live in high mountains are stronger but slower, and the Tunnel Dwarves of the deep are hardier in body and spirit.
Aside from that, you still get Humans, dwarves, elves, orcs, goblins, etc..
--
As for playing the undead, I do have vampires of my own design (not like Twilight's). Other undead creatures cold be played, but that'd be rare (though I expect vampire players will be too).
Demons and such don't really come into the picture as playable. That's a bit like playing as Sauron.
No Alignments, just character traits. Makes it more confusing as to who is good and who is evil.

Well, I do hope to do a massive-scale free-roaming game one day, but besides that it's more standard.
The number of players is based on the adventure. Soloing might be possible, but in a realistic game going on your own won't be a non-risky task. Powerful characters could solo goblins, if they were careful.
With Boss vs. Horde... I guess you mean how many monsters do you tend to face and the eliteness of them...? That's also on the adventure, except that fighting a lot of anything is ridiculously dangerous (even weak creatures).

Thanks for the interesting questions.

@your next post: I don't plan to have different numbers of attacks, really. There are Techniques like Flurry where you can throw in multiple attacks and multiple enemies, still.
That is getting too complex. Might need to keep it that learning spells is more in the creating the spell process... after all, who is stupid enough to cast something they're not sure of? It could backfire and kill them.

I didn't misunderstand. Letting non-magic users put -2 on Magic and etc. would be easily exploitable. Wouldn't take long before levelling up stances became overpowered, or complicated.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-17, 01:39 AM
magic is like a language. as you become more proficient with you can make jumps in you understanding like knowing isth is freezefast and thil is fast burn you know that th is fast. so you can add it to your spell gaining faster cast speed.
it's more dangerous to cast 2 normal spells than 1 spell powered to x2 damage even if the x2 damage might blow up in your face.
do you see this as becoming an turn-based online game or a turn-based board game?
when making a spell do you mean like magic scrabble? vishthli= enhanced lightning fast water= fast (-1 second cast-time) enhanced (x2 damage) lightning (lightning bolt) water (jump to other enemies via dispersion). with other combos doing different things? that's realistic for a wizard or sorcerer to use but not very simple. meta-magic feats are phrases in Arcane maybe?
i think all people should know some magic to make things fair maybe everyone knows 4 phrases in Arcane to begin with. this also means everyone is a spellcaster so a need for the bonus when casting spells so selling them is more balanced.
for spells: each phrase is worth x points, each level has their own 'weight' class, you can "buy" spell disadvantages that lower the spell cost.
e.g fireball + extra elemental damage 1+2+3+4 (spell cost= 10) you want a cost 8 so you can take advantage of the cast 4 cost8 spells a day and you don't have any current cost8 spells so you buy a range -2 (you can now shoot fireball with about 16D6 at a range of 4 squares instead of 6) <-that guy is a battle-mage (close-up attacks of epic proportions BOOM :smallsmile:)
alternately you can have day-long stat boosts in place of spells (charisma+1+2+3+4= cost 10).

Conners
2010-06-17, 09:56 AM
"Magic" varies widely on the material used. It varies from something rare with only long preparations resulting in it, to a common phenomenon learnt at high-school. In the context I use it, Magic is a science.
Vocal phrases and incantations are important, as a means of "trigger". Words have meaning, and are powerful, so using them correctly while channelling your mana can link your will to the Arcane. The Arcane is pure energy, and what the entire universe including space and time is made of. Diverting some of the exponential power, mages can control it, by voice, mental strength and physical gesture, into almost any shape or purpose so long as they possess the ability.
By this, I mean that a spell book doesn't just have words in it. The book will reach levels of complication level to advanced sciences of today, though a separate area of difficulties. Syntax-writing that does not consider only the vocal portions, but also the flow of mana and meaning of the words--plus the mentioned gestures and focusing of will. Wizards also need a wand or another item which focuses the arcane power, usually they need components which assimilate the energies to attributes needed for the spell also (crushed bones to raise the undead, that sort of thing).

As for it being more deadly to cast 2 spells, usually, yes. Casting several Magic Missiles isn't known as the deadliest idea.

I see the game as a Pen&Paper game for forums online and in person. Don't see any reason it couldn't be advanced and made for computer-ran games.

Combo-ing spells would be possible, with the right amount of power and realistic means behind it. Might even put in a rule about combining spells in.

Magic is the kind of thing you can be stoned for. The majority of people won't know how to read, much less perform sciences as advanced as magic.

You have a creative talent, but this is getting a bit off track from the system I've proposed. I'd like to talk with you more, but it's better if we keep on the same page.

Hope you liked my babbling about the art of magic xD.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-17, 10:05 AM
i think that making a simple system is a very complex process that needs several projects happening simultaneously. i think we should split the thread in two-simple realistic magic and simple realistic everything else (if need be we can split that again after magic is done) or we can move magic to PM and work on the rest here?

Conners
2010-06-17, 11:03 AM
Mostly, I'm focusing on one thing at a time. Working more on melee and other physical combat goodness before I get to the more magicy side. I have most of the magic worked out, just need to figure out things to do with spell component specifics, rituals, exact rules, and hardest of all the balancing.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-17, 11:13 AM
ok so we shelve magic for a little bit. i may not post much in the next few weeks as my computer is getting fixed and my mum doesn't let me on much her's much (im at my grandad's now) so in a few days ill stop posting so often and in smaller bursts. just thought i'd give you warning

imp_fireball
2010-07-04, 06:22 PM
realize that some fights didn't last more than 1 second.

Granted, if the first attack kills them, then that's that. That fight doesn't last more then one second.

I think rounds should still be 6 seconds, not necessarily 10.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-04, 11:22 PM
*threadus necromus* i thought this thread was dead imp?
@Connors: i started a new RPG thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158516) using some of your ideas. is that ok?

Conners
2010-07-05, 02:52 AM
@imp_fireball: Heyas imp! True, that you can say it lasted as few seconds as you like, regardless of how long a round is.

Still, I do wonder why 6 seconds would be used. The amount of time a round lasts does effect how mechanics should be handled, such as whether stringing an arrow and firing takes one round or three.
When I say a fight can end in one second, I mean EVERY second counts. A sword-fight going on for six seconds - unless both fighters had tumbled into some awkward wrestling on the ground - would be at least slightly remarkable.
Possible that it is better with six seconds, but I have difficulty seeing that as the case, currently.

@newD&Dfan: Nice to see you have returned.
The thread has been hibernating, because I've been focusing solely on statistic balancing and writing up for weapons, and some work on Wounds. I'll activate it more when I have something to show off.

We seem to have enough creative differences that two separate systems is a good idea. I'm not too stingy with other people using my ideas, though I am curious as to which ones. I'll see if I can spot/remember them in the link you've given me.

Thanks for the bump guys. I appreciate the support :).

imp_fireball
2010-07-05, 03:48 PM
A sword-fight going on for six seconds - unless both fighters had tumbled into some awkward wrestling on the ground - would be at least slightly remarkable.

Sometimes, a fighter backs away from another, waiting for an opening.

Fights can last one second - or they can last minutes.

Possible that it is better with six seconds, but I have difficulty seeing that as the case, currently.

It's cleaner - 10 rounds = 1 minute, 600 rounds = 1 hour.

It's just the rule for D&D and I just thought it'd be nice to pay tribute.

*threadus necromus* i thought this thread was dead imp?
@Connors: i started a new RPG thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158516) using some of your ideas. is that ok?

Sounds cool.

Threads aren't dead after only one month, though. There's a specific ruling on thread necro.

Conners
2010-07-05, 08:36 PM
Sometimes, yes. This is where the moving at the same time comes in. Fighters can get anxious and try going on the defensive, only to find their opponent does the same, putting you both out of striking range.

Come to think of it, you'd have flanks, and a rear, you can't face all directions, so part of "moving defensively" is trying to keep your flanks and rear guarded.

Ideas for rules on facing and flanking: When you choose your movement, you also choose a direction to face. Humans are pretty agile at turning, though, so your "front" constitutes a 225 degree angle. Example:

V = Adventurer facing southwards. f = Front of adventurer. s = Sides or Flanks of adventurer. r = Rear or Back of adventurer

sbs
fVf
fff

Or if we want a 135 degree front:

sbs
sVs
fff

That, of course, is with a square grid rather than a hex grid. A hex would be like this:
r
s s
V
f f
f Enlarging the flanks in this case would not work out.

So, the idea is to anticipate where your opponent will move, and their facing. Bipeds (and most animals) being so agile in turning as they are, can change their facing a full 360 degrees with their movement.

It does make it easier to tell how much time the combat has lasted, true. That isn't really something important to the system, however. The number of rounds the combat is is the number of seconds the fight lasted.

While a nice thought, I don't think it'll work out for what's planned. I already worked out how far a person can move within a few seconds in adjustment to the movement rules.

I hope I don't necro the thread accidentally :-\. Though, I am more active now, since there are topics to discuss.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-06, 12:02 AM
i stole your dice rolls (though i changed it a bit) and different sword attacks but i mostly just used my own ideas that i posted here.
the flanking is a good idea though do you have any stats (- to hit + to dodging/deflecting blows)?

Conners
2010-07-06, 03:21 AM
Dice rolls aren't really something I can make claim to... sadly :smallfrown:.

I'll want the numbers to reflect a repetitious system. Small Penalty = -5, Medium Penalty = -10, Large Penalty -20, Massive penalty = -50

That style of thing. Just need to work out the exact levels to get it to, and which items fall into what categories after that. Attacks from behind would be either Large, or Massive Penalty to Defence, for example.

imp_fireball
2010-07-06, 11:43 PM
Sometimes, yes. This is where the moving at the same time comes in. Fighters can get anxious and try going on the defensive, only to find their opponent does the same, putting you both out of striking range.

Come to think of it, you'd have flanks, and a rear, you can't face all directions, so part of "moving defensively" is trying to keep your flanks and rear guarded.

Ideas for rules on facing and flanking: When you choose your movement, you also choose a direction to face. Humans are pretty agile at turning, though, so your "front" constitutes a 225 degree angle. Example:

V = Adventurer facing southwards. f = Front of adventurer. s = Sides or Flanks of adventurer. r = Rear or Back of adventurer

sbs
fVf
fff

Or if we want a 135 degree front:

sbs
sVs
fff

That, of course, is with a square grid rather than a hex grid. A hex would be like this:
r
s s
V
f f
f Enlarging the flanks in this case would not work out.

So, the idea is to anticipate where your opponent will move, and their facing. Bipeds (and most animals) being so agile in turning as they are, can change their facing a full 360 degrees with their movement.

It does make it easier to tell how much time the combat has lasted, true. That isn't really something important to the system, however. The number of rounds the combat is is the number of seconds the fight lasted.

While a nice thought, I don't think it'll work out for what's planned. I already worked out how far a person can move within a few seconds in adjustment to the movement rules.

I hope I don't necro the thread accidentally :-\. Though, I am more active now, since there are topics to discuss.

I think the system should remain simple, like you said in the title.

Facing is already detailed as a variant in the d20 SRD - you could adapt those rules rather then starting from scratch.

Instead, I think you should just open up a slew of combat options that can only be done while flanking an opponent or while they are unaware (ie. garrote for the latter, vulcan death grip or <insert UFC style move here>).

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-07, 12:37 AM
Sneak Attack Garrote FTW lol:smallbiggrin:
@conors: if you make -5 -10 and -50 only then you severly limit armour, spells etc. i recommend -1, -3, -5, -10, -20, -50.

Conners
2010-07-07, 03:59 AM
@imp_fireball: And this is a simple element of strategy to consider. Could be a children's game, really. Try and move your pieces so that the backs and sides don't get caught up.

I pretty much have the rules for it already, though? Not sure what else there is to consider. Choose facing with move, check, decide on percentage of front to percentage of flanks/rear, check(?), And decide on penalties--not check just yet.

Well, for grappling, there'll be different moves based on your position: Advantaged, Disadvantaged, Front, Behind, Ground, Pinned. Six states aren't too hard to remember with some practice, I dare say.
However, even if you get behind the guy, you need to succeed on starting a grapple-match. They aren't just standing still when you get behind them... you can expect a sword to swing about and catch you if you aren't careful.
--
When was the garotte invented, anyway...? Only know of it being in Hitman and the Godfather, mostly.

@newD&Dfan: You forgot the -20. I suppose some -1/3/whatever penalties might be a good idea, for more miscellaneous stuff.

I'm researching GURPS, and other systems, trying to get something I can base my Wounds off of. Found a gorey piece of homebrew by an anatomist and doctor for Warhammer, too.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-08, 03:44 AM
the Garrote was invented centuries ago. it was an old rusty piece of metal to choke someone from behind

imp_fireball
2010-07-08, 11:43 AM
Six states aren't too hard to remember with some practice, I dare say.

The problem though is how much it may bog down a gaming session. Whether or not it's easy to remember 'with practice' is not the issue. As soon as the GM forgets, the game goes a little slower.

imp_fireball
2010-07-08, 12:07 PM
I made an adjustment to my rules:

A creature's death threshold (-10 hp in normal D&D) is negative hp equal to their Con score + fortitude save modifier + 1/2 will save modifier (round down to nearest whole number) + total HD + 6 per size category greater then medium (unless specified otherwise; sound good?). Drastic failure to stabilize (10 or more; DC = 5 + damage that dropped them to dying condition) means that the creature will bleed for 2d6 rounds before being granted another check to stabilize. The 'toughness' feat adds 3 to a creature's death threshold, in addition to 3 hp to its total hp.

NOTE: In real life, some animals will bleed for what seems like hours before finally dying. Ie. An standard elephant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elephant.htm) in the d20 SRD will die at -59 hp. The elephant's Con score is 21, its total HD is 11, Fort save modifier is 12, size huge gives it another 12 adjustment and its will save modifier is 6, giving an additional adjustment of 3.

Save or Dies: An attack that is 'save or die', that results in a failed save will never kill, let alone immediately kill (unless specified that it does so). Instead, the creature will be at -1 hp and 'dying' and usually remaining so for up to 2d6 rounds until granted a check to stabilize (unless successfully healed with a heal check before then). Some save or dies, such as poisons can be altered to make the creature be rendered 'dying' for longer.

Verisimilitude: In real life, deadly poisons often rendered a person unconscious, but would almost never immediately kill the moment the person became unconscious (only sometimes, and usually said person would have a fit or seizure before dying - at least movies say so :smalltongue:).

Problem with Sunder rules, is that weapons rarely break from a couple of hard swings.

I would use the sunder rules as written, with the exception that you don't apply strength to damage and only to hardness, unless your strength modifier is greater then the weapon's hardness (and even then, always subtract hardness from strength modifier - sort of like stacking damage reduction?). Also, maybe a bonus on the opposed attack roll, since you need a good swing to harm the weapon - and instead of granting a bonus to attack for wielding a larger weapon, make it a bonus to damage, but halve it. Thus, the wielder of a two-handed weapon on a sunder attempt gets a +2 bonus to damage (+1 for each additional arm or if the weapon is one requiring more then two hands to wield, such as some exotic thri-keen weapon), and the wielder of a light weapon takes a -2 penalty to damage.

Sundering a weapon with slashing damage means taking a -3 penalty to damage. If the hardness of your weapon is greater then the hardness of the enemy's weapon, then however much greater it is is also further damage reduction or bonus to damage.
Ie. A weapon with 5 hardness sundered by a weapon with 2 hardness subtracts 3 damage from the damage the weapon deals when trying to sunder the former weapon. Alternatively, if the weapon with 5 hardness sunders the weapon with 2 hardness, then the former weapon receives a +3 bonus to damage when sundering the latter.

Also, you can sunder armor, but armor has usually 4 times the hardness and hp as if it were not being worn (because you aren't trying to hurt the wearer). Alternatively, just go with wear and tear rules, and speed it up however you like whenever the wearer avoids heavy damage due to their armor cut off point bonus - and maybe some sort of finesse combat ability can allow you to strip armor off an opponent without damaging them.

Sundering with piercing weapons can be done, but it means having to do two times as much damage to hardness and hp unless the hardness of the piercing weapon is greater than that of what it is sundering, in which case it deals normal. So a ranged piercing weapon with hardness less than that of what it is sundering would have to do four times as much damage (ranged damage, as written for D&D, needs to do twice as much damage to hardness and hp unless specified otherwise).

Sample: A light blade has 10 hardness and 2 hp. Sundering it with 3 strength and a great sword (two-handed hafted weapon) means having to deal at least 17 weapon damage (10 hardness - 2 for two handed weapon + 5 for hardness superiority + 4 for strength penalty). This means that it is impossible to sunder the light blade, since a great sword's weapon damage is only 12 at most -3 for doing only slashing damage, ultimately making it 9 at most, not to mention you cannot critical confirm against objects.

Minimum strength modifier required would be +5, at which point the minimum number of strikes you can make on the weapon would be 24 - or 144 (whatever the odds of rolling a 12 on a 2d6 are; my math is bad today). If 'wear and tear' rules are used, this would also significantly tear the great sword.

Conners
2010-07-09, 03:18 AM
@newD&Dfan: Looking some stuff up, not all Garrottes were metal wire. The Spanish often used a garrotte machine for executions. Also was a division known for garotting people with yellow cloth. Now I just need to find out how much use it saw outside of Spain... Surely there were some people who worked it out besides the Spanish, but it doesn't mean to say it was widely used anywhere else (the Spanish laughed at the quarterstaff, till three of their swordmen were taken down).

@imp: Well then, since there isn't much to remember, the GM probably won't forget. When they look it up, it'll only be a small section, what's more.

There's a problem with trying to rework DnD rules into a realism system: It isn't meant to do that. Basically, it's making a car into a bicycle. It's doable, but you'll find awkwardness in use.

While a detailed formula, I'd prefer to have two aspects to when you die: Where you were hit, then your survivability. It's amazing how much people can survive--assuming there's adequate medical attention. A problem that I need more data at this time, though.

As for venoms and poisons, it really varies.. One example from a deadly snake bite went into such a deep coma, they thought he was dead. Several days later, a nurse saw his fingers twitching. Then they revived him.
With the fact snakes and the like will sometimes "dry-bite", using minimal to no venom, it gets very complicated.

I'll need to look stuff up and work out sunder rules. A general wear and tear system, where at the end of each encounter, you assign a variable of detriment your equipment has sustained, which needs to be repaired. Plus some rules for if a nasty blow to a weapon occurs.

Trying to think of stuff for Mass Combat, too... Apparently, soldiers can't stay in a bloody mix-up for too long, unless one side breaks and the other is spurred on from that.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-09, 05:08 PM
@Connors: look at the Fear and Force section of my RPG. it says that if 1/2 of your parties Force is nullified (dead KO'ed etc) make a fear check. if you fail roll a D6. 1-3 run, 4-6 surrender.

Conners
2010-07-10, 02:21 AM
While an interesting system, there are a couple of kinks. Firstly, different characters will want to do different, often unique and unexpected actions. If it was random soldiers, it would work, except that surrender and run away is more likely decided on the chances of running, what the enemy is known to do to their prisoners on war, etc..
Finally, if the characters are really being overcome by fear and forced to react in a unusual way, there'd be more possibilities. Freezing could work as surrendering, but they might also go Berserk and fight till brought down, if they're that scared.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-10, 03:23 AM
it is only v1. i might add more options or Modifiers in v2 or 3