PDA

View Full Version : Best Sandwich filling

Grimlock
2010-04-28, 05:42 AM
OKay, as we all know the ultimate snack is the much maligned, humble sandwich.
BORING I hear you exclaim?
Nay I reply, for the sandwich is great!
Okay- top filling for me- Chorizo, Rocket and Guacamole- if I'm feeling saucy, I'll pop in a few cheeky sun blush tomatoes.
So Playground- what's your favourite sandwich filling?

snoopy13a
2010-04-28, 05:51 AM
Peanut Butter

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 05:53 AM
BLT with Brie.

The sandwich place next to work sells it and it's basically the thing that keeps it in business. So good, especially with their seasoned mayo/secret sauce :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-04-28, 05:59 AM
hm...
do hot sandwiches count?

if not, turkey, pepperoni, lettuce, and swiss cheese on toast. the spiciness of the pepperoni and the cool of the turkey balance out so well *starts drooling, then cursing the lack of turkey in the fridge*

Jera
2010-04-28, 06:02 AM
Pastrami on rye Reuben style, provolone instead of swiss. Damn it, now I have to go to chick & ruth's for lunch today.

Anuan
2010-04-28, 06:03 AM
Steak, mozzarella and cheddar mix, lettuce, olives, pickled jalapenos, pepper, mayo, tomato sauce/ketchup. Toasted white or untoasted rye. Steak can be fresh-cooked, or cold on toasted white.

Sneak
2010-04-28, 06:10 AM
Cranberry sauce and stuffing w/ turkey. THANKSGIVING IN YOUR MOUTH.

potatocubed
2010-04-28, 06:12 AM
Peanut butter, Red Leicester, and ketchup. Grate the cheese, mix it all together into a brown paste, eat between slices of bread. Yum.

Nameless
2010-04-28, 06:20 AM
http://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hummus.jpg

GrlumpTheElder
2010-04-28, 06:40 AM
Peanut butter, Jam and Banana!

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-28, 07:00 AM
Tuna is good when done right (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8390189&postcount=1018).

Also, I love me some BLTs, as long as the B::L::T ratio is ~ 1::4::3.

Grilled portabella mushrooms are another favorite of mine.

Archonic Energy
2010-04-28, 07:07 AM
Jessica Alba... (point for the reference)

seroiusly, I'm thinking medium* steak with red onion & garlic butter fried Mushrooms...

Also, I love me some BLTs, as long as the B::L::T ratio is ~ 1::4::3.

Seriously?
my prefered ratio is 4:1:0...
that's just me though!

* anything less than medium and the bread will start to dissolve from the liquids

PJ the Epic
2010-04-28, 07:50 AM

That...that's not a sammich :smalleek:.

I personally like toast and peanut butter, so that the peanut butter melts. Then you but bananas and marshmellow cream on it. S'good.

Force
2010-04-28, 08:15 AM
Roast beef on wheat with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, pickles, and provolone cheese.

... Yes I had Subway yesterday.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-04-28, 08:19 AM
Chicken salad (http://lh4.ggpht.com/lynch.kevin/R9HtS17fDcI/AAAAAAAACHo/eOlvERc_pOk/s800/Chicken+Salad+Sandwich.jpg). No contest.

Elder Tsofu
2010-04-28, 08:38 AM
Butter and a good piece of ham. Preferably currant-smoked.
Maybe with a piece of newly rinsed salad.
Yeah I do not request a lot out of my sandwiches.

ScottishDragon
2010-04-28, 08:58 AM
A big hunk of black forest ham with a tiny bit of mustard,not to spicy,with some lettuce,and a thin slice of cheese,mayo on bottom slice of bread.Delicious

Ranna
2010-04-28, 09:26 AM
Oh no I cannot stand peanut butter but I really like peanuts I don't know the butter bit just ruins it for me I guess.

As for mine, I guess I like Spring Onion Cheese Mayo and Pickles - I stink of onions/pickle afterwards, but that's the sign of a good meal!

Oh and Sandwiches are meals right? I couldnt have one as a snack they are far too big...

Maybe I make them big?

Amiel
2010-04-28, 09:35 AM
We have something tragically named the "Bogan Burger," that can be ordered in a restaurant tucked away in one of Melbourne's suburbs; I can't recall exactly which one.
It's probably more of a battle than a meal. Anyway, this is what's in it;

"Bogan Burger:"
Sirloin steak, tomatoes, beetroot, garlic butter, caramelised onions, pineapple, bacon, Swiss cheese, chicken schnitzel, potato cake and egg in Turkish bread with a side of huge wedges and salad.
Weight: 2.175 kilograms.

Source: theage (melbourne) magazine.

Anuan
2010-04-28, 09:46 AM
...Moving back to Melbourne, never leaving again <33

Deth Muncher
2010-04-28, 09:47 AM
A friend of mine went to Brazil last year, and thanks to everything being grown there and thus being retardedly cheap, he was able to purchase something called "The Everything Sandwich." It is as follows.

Buttered Bun
Layer of mozzarella cheese
Scrambled egg
Hamburger patty
Sausage
Bacon
Ham
Lettuce
Corn & Peas
Tomato slice
Buttered bun atop

And served with ketchup mayonnaise and hot sauce as desired.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 09:47 AM
We have something tragically named the "Bogan Burger," that can be ordered in a restaurant tucked away in one of Melbourne's suburbs; I can't recall exactly which one.
It's probably more of a battle than a meal. Anyway, this is what's in it;

"Bogan Burger:"
Sirloin steak, tomatoes, beetroot, garlic butter, caramelised onions, pineapple, bacon, Swiss cheese, chicken schnitzel, potato cake and egg in Turkish bread with a side of huge wedges and salad.
Weight: 2.175 kilograms.

Not a beetroot fan, but I think I could let it slide for that abomination of awesomeness.

PJ the Epic
2010-04-28, 09:48 AM
I think my arteries just clogged a little more. :smalleek:

Starbuck_II
2010-04-28, 10:35 AM
2 slices of cheese. I like grilled cheese sandwiches. :smallbiggrin:

Grimlock
2010-04-28, 10:57 AM
Peanut butter, Red Leicester, and ketchup. Grate the cheese, mix it all together into a brown paste, eat between slices of bread. Yum.

You are a sick, sick man!
As for the everything sandwich; sounds awsome, but my heart is starting to harden just thinking about it!

LCR
2010-04-28, 11:00 AM
TUNATUNATUNATUNA. Maybe a little corn.

Archonic Energy
2010-04-28, 11:22 AM
You are a sick, sick man!

try a triple fried egg, chili, chutney sandwich...
i read about it in a chemical warfare book... (another reference point up for grabs)

Telonius
2010-04-28, 11:45 AM
Peanut butter and Apple butter.

HellfireLover
2010-04-28, 12:09 PM
Grilled chicken and smoked back bacon and salad on three seed wholemeal bread with avocado salsa (chopped Hass avocado, red onion, baby plum tomato, cracked black pepper, lemon juice, seasoned rice vinegar), a little creme fraiche, and sweet chilli sauce.

Jokasti
2010-04-28, 12:38 PM
Philly cheese. That is all.

arguskos
2010-04-28, 12:44 PM
Hmmm. Toast some ciabatta lightly, just enough to crisp. Spread some spicy German mustard (I like coarse ground personally) over one slice. Place cheese over mustard, any kind works, though I am partial to Swiss, CoJack, or Provolone. Acquire favorite fresh-sliced deli meat, I personally prefer this really great cajun turkey that a local place sells. Add layer of fresh-sliced deli pepperoni. Add another slice of cheese. Spread same mustard on the other piece of toasted ciabatta, top sandwich, eat while hot.

Alternatively, get a panini grill. Make anything, and grill it. Consume rapidly.

Player_Zero
2010-04-28, 01:14 PM
You prefer to eat what someone has vomitted onto a plate then?

Also, the enjoyability of a sandwich is proportional to what you currently crave. If you are particularly hungry then a nice filling trkey sandwich or similar taste better, whereas a cucumber sandwich may well taste better while you're sipping Pimm's and watching the cricket.

druid91
2010-04-28, 01:20 PM
Probably bacon. bacon is good eating in any form.

Also don't try to make a popcorn sandwich by ripping open the unpopped bage of popcorn and then putting the kernals in the bread along with the butter square and then microwave it.

And if you insist on making a popcorn sandwich like that don't put it on a paper plate.

If you Absolutely must ignore my advice and do this anyway I am not responsible for the butter burning a hole in both the bread and the plate.:smallbiggrin:

Thajocoth
2010-04-28, 01:21 PM
The best sandwich filling is the peanut butter, jelly, jelly and peanut butter.

Take 3 slices of bread. Put peanut butter on two of them. Put jelly on the third. Flip the 3rd onto one of the first two. Put jelly on the other side of the jelly slice. Put the remaining slice on that.

PJ the Epic
2010-04-28, 01:26 PM
Probably bacon. bacon is good eating in any form.

oooh. Can I change my answer? Bacon is definatly the king of all meat-based products. If you really wanted to, you could make a bacon sandwhich with baconnaise (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/c87a/) and bacon salt. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/c4e9/) :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2010-04-28, 01:31 PM
You prefer to eat what someone has vomitted onto a plate then?

Also, the enjoyability of a sandwich is proportional to what you currently crave. If you are particularly hungry then a nice filling trkey sandwich or similar taste better, whereas a cucumber sandwich may well taste better while you're sipping Pimm's and watching the cricket.

It's hummus. The greatest spread/dip in the world. I eat it Dailey, only everything. Even on pancakes.

Yes, with bacon too.

PJ the Epic
2010-04-28, 01:32 PM
It's hummus. The greatest spread/dip in the world. I eat it Dailey, only everything. Even on pancakes.

Yes, with bacon too.

Hurray! BACON BACON BACON! :smallbiggrin:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-28, 01:34 PM
The best sandwich filling is delicious sandwich filling.

druid91
2010-04-28, 01:34 PM

Yes, with bacon too.

Hummus and bacon? Why have I never thought of this? :smalleek: It.. Its pure genius!:smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 01:38 PM
The best sandwich filling is delicious sandwich filling.

What if you're only in the mood for a mediocre sandwich?

deuxhero
2010-04-28, 01:44 PM
Roast Beef, honey mustard dressing, and mild cheese on white bread, lightly toasted.

Thajocoth
2010-04-28, 01:44 PM
It's hummus.For some odd reason, I initially read "It's humans." :smalleek:

BSW
2010-04-28, 01:51 PM
For some odd reason, I initially read "It's humans." :smalleek:

That's appropriate, considering the fact that MY favorite filling is soylent green.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 01:53 PM
That's appropriate, considering the fact that MY favorite filling is soylent green.

Soylent green is people? WTH?!? What's soylent green, besides people apparently. :smallconfused:

onasuma
2010-04-28, 01:54 PM
Theres one way to guarentee a good sandwich:

Slice of bread
Slice of ham
3 slices of cheese
2 slices of tomato
One slice of lettace
Slice of bread
cocktailstick with olive

AH SO FILLING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioU-5aN_zXg&feature=related)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-28, 01:57 PM

Then any mediocre filling you have will chime with your feelings, turning your experience into a delicious one.

Innis Cabal
2010-04-28, 02:05 PM

The proper response is there is no mediocre sandwich filling.

My favorite is pepperoni, two fried eggs, two pieces of provolone cheese, mayo on both pieces of toast(Bread) and some tabasco sauce.

druid91
2010-04-28, 02:09 PM
Soylent green is people? WTH?!? What's soylent green, besides people apparently. :smallconfused:

Its a movie, about the future, where people are turned into food after death. this is all hushed up, and when the guy finds out he goes crazy.

Kneenibble
2010-04-28, 02:17 PM
For BLT lovers: try freezing the lettuce for explosive crunch.

My personal favourite is an english muffin with mayonnaise, ham... and a pickle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWn7zbgxZ4).

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 02:26 PM
I am eating a bacon, egg and black pudding sandwich with tomato sauce and a bit of pepper.

Is lovely.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-28, 02:36 PM
Eh, I'm boring.

I just like me a good ol' Ham & Swiss.

TheThan
2010-04-28, 02:41 PM
TheThan’s ultimate breakfast sandvitch (yes sandvitch)
2 Fried eggs
2 slices of pan-fried ham (or bacon)
1 slice of cheese (your choice), melted over the ham
On a buttered croissant roll

i read about it in a chemical warfare book... (another reference point up for grabs)

Red dwarf, one of lister’s concoctions.

Dust
2010-04-28, 02:48 PM
It's hard to go wrong with a thick slice of garlic bread smothered in cheese.

Of course, since that's not a sandwich per se, my vote will have to be for a BBQ-grilled chicken breast on a ciabatta.

Edit: Heh, random memory. When I was a kid, I used to mix peanut butter with marshmallows, melt them in the microwave, and spread over toast. It was awesome then, and I only feel slightly more silly chowing down on one of those every few months as an adult.

Stadge
2010-04-28, 03:05 PM
Hmm... there's probably two that I can think of. Firstly there's the infamous, but oh so delicious triple fried egg, chilli sauce and chutney butty. Contrary to popular belief the bread doesn't dissolve but it's still bets to eat it quickly.

There's also the tasty but simple sandwich I had on a night picnic recently, buttered sliced white, nice quality ham and a couple of slices of maasdam cheese. Superb!

Deth Muncher
2010-04-28, 04:41 PM

My personal favourite is an english muffin with mayonnaise, ham... and a pickle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWn7zbgxZ4).

See, you say explosive crunch, now I'm imagining some poor sod biting into a sandwich and it explodes in has face, leaving him with soot on his face, wacky hair and only his eyes being okay, a la the cartoons.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 04:42 PM
See, you say explosive crunch, now I'm imagining some poor sod biting into a sandwich and it explodes in has face, leaving him with soot on his face, wacky hair and only his eyes being okay, a la the cartoons.

I see you've eaten one before. Fun stuff, seriously.

Superglucose
2010-04-28, 04:42 PM
Roast Beef.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-28, 04:52 PM
Turkey, Bacon, Roast Beef, fried egg, swiss chese and peppers all in one glorious sandwich

Anuan
2010-04-28, 10:50 PM

"It's a state of the art sarny." "It's the state of the floor I'm worried about."

"...I feel like I'm having a baby! D:"

Lioness
2010-04-28, 10:59 PM
Ham and avocado, preferably toasted

Deth Muncher
2010-04-28, 11:01 PM
Also, because I'm not sure anyone else said it, the best filling for a sandwich is probably another sandwich, which in turn has a sandwich in it, which is filled with...

Grimlock
2010-04-28, 11:19 PM

Wow, you're hard core. You eat exploding lettuce in your sandwiches! Damn!

Pyrian
2010-04-29, 12:51 AM
Also, because I'm not sure anyone else said it, the best filling for a sandwich is probably another sandwich, which in turn has a sandwich in it, which is filled with...It's true that the best thing to wrap bacon in, is more bacon. However, recursive sandwiches are just a lot of bread. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-04-29, 12:53 AM
It's true that the best thing to wrap bacon in, is more bacon. However, recursive sandwiches are just a lot of bread. :smalltongue:

Yes, but if you were to deep fry that...

I'm sorry, I think I'm crossing over into a different thread.

Archonic Energy
2010-04-29, 03:52 AM
Red dwarf, one of lister’s concoctions.

1 Archonic Reference point awarded...

"It's a state of the art sarny." "It's the state of the floor I'm worried about."

"...I feel like I'm having a baby! D:"
1 Archonic Reference Point awarded

collect 100 Archonic Reference Points for a prize*...

*tis is not a guarantee. Prize may or may not exist. no cash alternates available. hippies will be stabbed on site.

Amiel
2010-04-29, 04:32 AM
Pickles are amazing; why don't people like pickles? :smallfrown:

We also have what is called the "Bogan Parma:"
Plate-sized chicken schnitzel, slices of ham, tomato sauce, melted cheese and two fried eggs draped over the top, chips and side salad.
Weight: 1.563 kilograms.

I suppose you could eat all of that between two slices of bread.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-29, 07:32 AM
Bring out the Branston.

Catch
2010-04-29, 10:15 AM
It's an ungodly hour of the night, you're hungry, possibly inebriated, and your stomach has recently spurned the local fast food emporium (it's not you, it's them). You want a medianoche, and the ingredients are are thus:

Half a loaf of white bread*
Sweet-cured ham
Roasted pork
Swiss cheese
Yellow mustard
Sliced pickles

* Cuban is the best, because there's a bit of shortening in the dough, but a half a loaf of challah or French bread will do, though a baguette certainly will not.

Slice the bread length-wise, leaving both halves attached, and spread the insides with mustard. Yellow is traditional, but use whatever kind you prefer, but do avoid a brand that might be overpowering. (While you're assembling your sandwich, get a little butter going in a frying pan, not too hot, just enough to melt butter to coat the bottom of the pan.)

The base of a medianoche is ham, and you'll want one that's slightly sweet (jamón dulce or bolo ham are best) with a mild flavor. Layer a couple of thin slices on the bottom of your sandwich, but leave room for the main event, which is roasted pork.

Lechón asado is the Cuban recipe for roasted pork marinated in garlic, sour orange juice, onion and oregano, and deserves its own post entirely, but what you'll want to have in your fridge is cold roasted pork. Sliced is nice, but shredded is better. Fill the rest of the sandwich with the pork, about two parts to one of ham, and don't worry about it being bulky, because it won't stay that way. Top your sandwich with several pieces of Swiss cheese and sliced pickle, then nudge it closed as if tucking in a small child to bed.

Now, you've got your butter going on the skillet, yes? Over to the stove. Set your sandwich down in the pan and find something clean, flat and heavy. Another frying pan is perfect, a thick baking sheet works, but as long as it could cause lethal blunt-force trauma and wouldn't dirty your sandwich, use it (Some prefer a brick wrapped in tinfoil). Press down on your sandwich with your smasher of choice and grill until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. If anyone asks what you're doing, conceal the sandwich with your body - you don't want to share.

Once your sandwich warm, gooey, and slightly cripsy, slice the big ol thing diagonally and eat it, preferably while standing in your kitchen in your underwear, and everyone in the house is still sleeping. That, friends, is the taste of a medianoche.

Cealocanth
2010-04-30, 10:08 PM
I gotta say, my favorite filling would have to be Charoset with a little bit of honey. It's a delicasy that my tastebuds only get one week per year. It's not as good with bread though...