PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a deck plan for Stargate game using SWSE rules

doc225
2010-04-28, 10:00 AM
I plan to have the party "SG-30" get stuck on a ship in another galaxy, combining elements of Atlantis, SG:U, and Firefly. I am looking for a ship anywhere in size from a light freighter to small capital ship. I don't want anything too big, like Destiny or Atlantis. They will be accompanied by another SG team, SG-32. The ship needs to be able to house at least 8, with no upper limit, but not require a crew of more than 8.

Right now I am thinking either the Barloz class freighter or one of the Ghtroc designs found here:
http://deckplans.00sf.com/Main/Galleries.html#Space_Transports

I like these designs, as they contain many of the same features as a "firefly" or YT-series, without being an obvious knock-off. The only thing I worry about is the "consumables" portion, but I figure I can have that mean "food and Water" rather than fuel. ZPM's or Asgard power cores shold be enought o run a small freighter.

any suggestions? I prefer to have a deck plan for the ship, as encounters could take place onboard. I also thinkthat being able to see what the ship is all about might lead to the team having more of a connection to the ship.

thanks

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-28, 11:22 AM
I guess it depends on what the purpose of the ship is going to be. Is it just to get them from place to place, more or less? Or is figuring out how it works or getting it repaired going to be an important plot arc at the beginning of the game?

I like the Barloz. It wouldn't feel too out of place in Stargate. It's not very big, though, probably a bit smaller than an al-kesh. Needs more hallways, too. :smallwink:

At the very least, it'd be pretty amusing to put a big honking 'Gate in the cargo bay. (You might need to give that deck a high ceiling.)

Alternatively, you could use one of the larger Gthroc models, but they're kinda uninteresting what with being mostly cargo space (unless the cargo itself is interesting). Also, the engines being at the front is kinda strange.

If you want something bigger, you might be able to find something here (http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/Pages/Root_1_Ship_Menu.html). A lot of the stuff there just screams Star Wars, but there's some rarer ships and a couple original creations as well.

doc225
2010-04-28, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Killian. I looked at those, still kept coming back to the Barloz or Ghtroc. Something about the smaller design, with enough space but not too much.

Tha Action VI is way to big... maybe something along the lines of the Corellian Corvette, but i think it's too obvious. some of the custom ones looked ok.... not really a fan of the designs on the site though. I prefer the Deckplan alliance style. It seems to me like they put more thought into layout.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-28, 12:10 PM
Hmm... Well, taking a second look at them I think I'd go with one of the mid-size Ghtrocs (the Ghtroc Medium or Heavy cargo freighters). They're simple enough, but they've got various rooms, plenty of hallway, and a nice high ceiling in the cargo bay if you wanna put a 'Gate in it.

The Barloz's 3-deck design is nice, but it's starting to remind me of a glorified Goa'uld cargo ship. Plus, not enough hallways. You gotta have hallways! :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I hope you don't think I have some kind of hallway fetish. It's just that hallways seem to be one of the major design elements of most spaceships in Stargate.

doc225
2010-04-28, 12:33 PM
I think I'm going to use the Ghtroc Cargo Baroness. I don't think I'll need anything much bigger. I will be converting the escape pods into puddle jumpers. 2 jumpers should be overkill, but I'd like the ship to be able to have "fighter support" if needed. All team members have the Ancient gene, and 2 have the pilot skill. one can fly the ship, the other can take a jumper. SG-32 can help with ship ops as well...

not sure if I want to put a gate in the hold... still thinking about that.

pffh
2010-04-28, 01:09 PM
I think I'm going to use the Ghtroc Cargo Baroness. I don't think I'll need anything much bigger. I will be converting the escape pods into puddle jumpers. 2 jumpers should be overkill, but I'd like the ship to be able to have "fighter support" if needed. All team members have the Ancient gene, and 2 have the pilot skill. one can fly the ship, the other can take a jumper. SG-32 can help with ship ops as well...

You could put a prototype gate in the hold (like the small one the ancient built in samantha's basement) that gives them a hard time. For example it could need a lot more energy then a normal gate, break down often so they need to scavenge parts (crystals) from other gates or even sometimes send them to the wrong address.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-28, 01:10 PM

Yeah, that really depends on the circumstances of your campaign (how they get stuck on this ship, why they can't get home, etc.). But I figured carrying around your own Stargate would eventually come up even if you don't start them off with one. The ship is basically going to be their "home away from home", right?

EDIT: Well if it's going to be an Ancient ship, make sure to find a place to stash the ring platform. :smallamused:

doc225
2010-05-01, 12:18 AM
I'm actually thinking no ring platform on this one. I want to get the feel of SGU crossed with firefly. Still not 100% how I am going to achieve that...

BobVosh
2010-05-01, 12:50 AM
It could be hilarious to have the side of the ship be a ring. Prevents lot of shenanigans that having both a ship and a ring could do, by the fact that you have to do it planet side. Bonus points if your players start doing paratroopers out of it when the ship flies into an atmosphere.

Also the firefly book has quite a few default ship designs, and like most ships in that setting take very few people to pilot.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-01, 07:44 AM
I'm actually thinking no ring platform on this one. I want to get the feel of SGU crossed with firefly. Still not 100% how I am going to achieve that...

Hmm.... I suppose the ship isn't so big that one would be necessary. We don't actually have a lot of info about how the Ancients designed their more recent ships. (The only ones we've seen have been massive warships or tiny puddle jumpers, and apparently Destiny predates the ring technology.)

Since you said you're going to equip the ship with puddle jumpers, you should probably go for the size angle and just say it's too small to need rings. After all, as far as we know, just because the Goa'uld used rings that extensively doesn't mean the Ancients did.

randomhero00
2010-05-01, 12:43 PM
Does it have a FTL drive?

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-01, 11:27 PM
Does it have a FTL drive?

Based on what the OP's told us (puddle jumpers), I'm guessing a hyperdrive is more likely.