PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Best way to get arcane casting in armour?

Cogidubnus
2010-04-28, 12:40 PM
The title says it really. Just interested. Assume there's no way in core.

Thalnawr
2010-04-28, 12:41 PM
Be a bard?

Draken
2010-04-28, 12:44 PM
In core? Bard or Assassin.

In splats?

Base classes: Duskblade, Hexblade, Warmage, Dread Necromancer, Beguiler, Warlock (sort of).

Prestige Classes: Bladesinger, Spellsword, Geomancer, Runesmith (Dwarf-only but by far the best), etc.

Feats: Armored Caster.

Quite a few. There sure are more.

senrath
2010-04-28, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the Armored Caster feat only advances casting in armor that you already have, and can't be used to get the ability if you don't already have it.

alisbin
2010-04-28, 12:46 PM
Edit: mega-ninjaed

what kind of armor do you want to wear? light is easy, off the top of my head there's bard, warlock, and i think warmage who all get free light armor casting. anyone who gets free light armor casting (the above and any i can't recall) can get the armored caster feat which lets you cast in medium armor. dunno about heavy.

Il_Vec
2010-04-28, 12:51 PM
In Core? Using Still spell, quicken spell and only spells without somatic components...

Telonius
2010-04-28, 01:03 PM
Assuming you mean heavy armor...

Cleric with Greater Anyspell. (I think they'd technically be Divine spells, but you'd get them from the Wizard list).
Artificer who takes Heavy Armor Proficiency.
Wizard9/(any full-bab)1/Spellsword1, Twilight Mithral fullplate. (You still have 5% ASF, I think, but I'm sure there are ways to further reduce it without losing another caster level).

Defiant
2010-04-28, 01:08 PM
anyone who gets free light armor casting (the above and any i can't recall) can get the armored caster feat which lets you cast in medium armor. dunno about heavy.

Mithral armor

jiriku
2010-04-28, 01:15 PM
Any arcane caster can wear a mithral buckler and a githcraft thistledown-padded mithril chain shirt (or twilight mithral chain shirt if the other options are unavaialble) to get a +4 armor bonus and +1 shield bonus with 0% ASF. Enchant to taste.

Prime32
2010-04-28, 01:15 PM
Be a psion.

lsfreak
2010-04-28, 01:17 PM
Others have said it, but:
Items only - twilight mithril chain (MIC, BoED, PHB2)
PrC dip - Spellsword1 + mithril twilight breastplate, or twilight mithril fullplate with thistledown padding (RotW)
Feat + Dip - Spellthief + Master Spellthief removes for light armor (including mithril breastplate)

I rarely do anything but but twilight mithril chain for a straight caster, it's not worth the level/feat/extra money.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-28, 01:33 PM
Just to clarify, it's not for any particular character. Just interested, read a comment somewhere that made me wonder.

deuxhero
2010-04-28, 01:36 PM
Mithiral Twilight Chain Shirt, or just cast (greater) Mage Armor.

EvilJoe15
2010-04-28, 01:40 PM
Mythril Breastplate with twilight and thistledown. If you're worried about check penalties, you're not being a very good wizard. Just cast True Strike.

Edit: Oops.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-28, 01:42 PM
be a duskblade, and far in, you gain the ability to cast in Meduim armor. Then take armored caster, you have Heavy proficiency with no ASF

Pluto
2010-04-28, 03:06 PM
Surreal made a big list (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) of all this sort of stuff.
I seem to link to it a lot.

Arcane Spell Failure (ASF) reduction - or casting in armor
Bard, light armor
Fighter, Armored Mage alternative class feature, Complete Mage, light armor
Duskblade 1, 4, 7/20, Player's Handbook 2, casting in light armor, medium armor, then heavy shields respectively
Bladesinger 6, ecl 11, Complete Warrior, cast in light armor
Hexblade, Complete Warrior, casting in light armor
Spellsword 1, 3, 5, 7, 9/10, ecl 6, Complete Warrior, 10/15/20/25/30%
Rage Mage 2, ecl 7, Complete Warrior, -10% in light or medium armor
Spellthief, Complete Adventurer, casting in light armor
Fochlucan Lyrist 1, ecl 11, Complete Adventure, cast in light armor
Warmage 1, 8/20, Complete Arcane, casting in light then medium armor
Suel Arcanamach 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 7, Complete Arcane, 5% each time
Battlecaster, feat, Complete Arcane, allows casting in armor one category heavier (unclear whether you gain proficiency)
Geomancer 1, ecl ?, Complete Divine, see text

Dragon Devotee 3, ecl 8, Races of the Dragon, ignore ASF for 0-level and 1st-level spells
Arcane Heirophant 1, ecl 6, Races of the Wild, casting in non-metallic light or medium armor
Runesmith 1, ecl 6, Races of Stone, cast in any armor, see text
Knight of the Weave 2, ecl 7, Champions of Valor, cast in light armor, in medium at level 8
Pale Master 4, 8/10, ecl 9, Libris Mortis, -10% each for undead armor
Knight Phantom 1, ecl 6, Eberron: Five Nations, casting in light armor
Corrupt Avenger 1, ecl 7, Heroes of Horror, light armor
Silver Key 1, ecl 5, Eberron: Dragonmarked, light armor, abjuration only
Githyanky Battlecaster, feat, Monster Manual 4, light armor
Fatemaker 1, ecl 6, Planar Handbook, light
Ebonmar Infiltrator 1, ecl 6, Cityscape, cast in light armor, see text
Urban Savant 1, ecl 6, Cityscape, cast in light armor, see text
Knight of the Weave 2, ecl 7, FR: Champions of Valor, cast in light for all classes, medium at level 8

Twilight, armor enhancement, Book of Exalted Deeds, -10%
Thistledown, armor add-on, Races of the Wild, -5%
Leafweave, armor add-on, Races of the Wild, -5%
Feycraft, armor template, DMG2, -5%
Githcraft, armor template, DMG2, -5%
Hellforged, armor template, DMG2, +5%
Blue Ice, component, Frostburn, cast [Cold] spells without ASF
There are other ways (Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard), Master Spellthief and armor emulators like BoED's Luminous Armor spells, among others), but this should point you toward most of them.

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-28, 03:19 PM
In Core? Using Still spell, quicken spell and only spells without somatic components...

QFT.

Now, when you step out of core, you're looking at a twilight mithril Thistledown fey crafted (or gith crafted) Suit of full plate, with Mithril buckler and mithril dastana.

I think I missed a few in there, but someone else will fill it in ^_^

EDIT: with Eager enchanted hemet horns, and Defending net cutter spikes too!

Eldonauran
2010-04-28, 03:22 PM
There are other ways (Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard), Master Spellthief and armor emulators like BoED's Luminous Armor spells, among others), but this should point you toward most of them.

Prestige Bard +9,001

A prestige bard can cast any arcane spells in light armor without the normal arcane spell failure chance.

Any arcane spells... From any class.

Totally Guy
2010-04-28, 03:22 PM
There's also the Urban Savant in Cityscape that'd give you light armour. But you'd need to discuss the entry requirements, it suggests changing Bardic Knowledge for a knowledge skill as an alternative. That change would avoid a 1 level bard dip.

Then you can boost to medium with that armoured caster feat.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-28, 03:36 PM
Factotums cast arcane spells as spell-like abilities, don't require a spellbook, and can cast whilst in armor.

Also, archivists cast arcane spells as divine spells, and spell-to-power erudites cast arcane spells as psionic powers (with no ASF).

Jarveiyan
2010-04-28, 04:29 PM
Has everyone forgotten about the Warmage PrC from Dragonlances Age of Mortals book? -5% asf at 2nd lvl and -10% at 4th lvl.

gorfnab
2010-04-29, 12:10 AM
Edit: nevermind

Escheton
2010-04-29, 12:31 AM
what where the stats and source of glassteel again?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 01:12 AM
what where the stats and source of glassteel again?
3.0 glassteel: Races of Faerūn, page 158. Combines the characteristics of adamantine and mithral for a unique (but very expensive) effect; ASF reduced by 10%.
3.5 glassteel: Champions of Valor, page 65. Pretty much a useless material as it's basically the same as mithral except more expensive (matching exactly in weight, ASF, MDB, and ACP); ASF reduced by 10%.

Sindri
2010-05-02, 03:31 AM
Blended Quartz from Arms and Equipment give -20% to spell failure rate.
If you're using Goods and Gear one of the options for variant materwork armor is -5% to spell failures.

If you're in the DragonLance campaign setting the Master class can make items of up to 5x the normal masterwork benefit at high levels; a 12th level master can make mithril plate with no spell failure, or a 6th with blended quartz.

The best part is that it's all in the item; instead of wasting time of prestige classes you just need proficiency.

Incidentally, are Jarveiyan and I the only ones who play in DL?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-02, 04:16 AM
Mithral (-10%) Gith/Feycraft (-5%) Twilight (-10%) Full Plate with a single level of Spellsword (-10%) = no ASF in Full Plate.