PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question Regarding File Uploading

Dust
2010-04-28, 02:40 PM
{Scrubbed}

randman22222
2010-04-28, 02:43 PM
{Scrubbed}

Morally, I'd say that sending the files would be okay, but not putting them up on some corner of the public internet, regardless of how obscure.

It's just like sharing a book with a friend, letting them scan something for future reference, etc.

Putting it up on the internet is less like that.

At least, that's what I've held ever since I pondered making a living out of music... (Incidentally, I think I'd be most comfortable letting anyone who wants download music from a website, and then making revenue from performances.)

Legally, I've no idea.

Pyrian
2010-04-28, 02:45 PM
Legally, the works are subject to copyright law, which means that you in general have no right to make any sort of copy of them (except as explicitly allowed).

TSGames
2010-04-28, 02:54 PM
So I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I'd like the playground's opinion - in a perfect world, I'd also love to find the laws in writing.

Ask and you shall receive.

The DMCA (http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/iclp/dmca1.htm), is certainly not the only US law pertaining to Copy Right and the internet, but it is the main one. Anyone who has ever been on the fuzzy/dark side of file sharing or hacking should have all the relevant sections memorized already.

And now we're in too deep: MORE THAN YOU WANTED TO KNOW (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/)

Comet
2010-04-28, 02:55 PM
If you do end up uploading them, make sure to do so behind the privacy of at least a password, so no one else than your group can get access to the material. It's still illegal, I think, but in my opinion acceptable.

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-28, 06:00 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't ask for legal advice on this forum. Also, don't discuss or advocate illegal filesharing or other types of copyright infringement. As a forum funded and operated by an artist who makes his living off of his art, we take a particularly dim view of allowing this forum to be used for such infringing activities.

Also, if you think it's a bad idea to post something, especially if you think so enough to put that in your post, just don't post.