PDA

View Full Version : Round-Robin GMing [Any / D&D 4e]

Zaq
2010-04-28, 08:35 PM
So, in the next month or so a group of friends and I are going to start a new D&D 4e game. Rather than force someone to volunteer to be a GM, we've decided to try a round-robin style of GMing, in which we take turns by natural arc ("I'm GMing until we get through the jungle." "I'm GMing until we capture the bandits that robbed us." "I'm GMing until we find the missing high priest." and so on). We've decided to designate seconds to play our characters when we're GMing (so our characters still exist and the party doesn't suddenly find themselves missing a key role), and we've all agreed to play nice and not show favoritism to our own characters (we'll see how well that goes, but the issue has at least been floated and acknowledged). I think it'll be fun, and I'm looking forward to it, but none of us have ever actually done this before, so I'm curious if anyone here has anything to add.

Basically what I want to know is if anyone else has ever played this style of game before, and if there's any kind of advice or tips you can offer me. What kind of pitfalls do we need to look for? What tricks can make our lives easier? Any suggestions or warnings of any kind? Anything like that will be helpful. What do you think?

Binks
2010-04-28, 08:46 PM
My group of friends has a far less formal version of this going with one game. Basically anytime someone wants to gm a game in that world they do so. It's worked pretty well. The main things I've learned that might help:

1. Work out how you're handing out rewards beforehand, not a list of items or anything, just a general 'about this much wealth per session' type thing.

2. Same thing for how often you're going to level. This one's not needed if you're using exp and CL though (our group doesn't use that, more informal).

3. Make sure that anyone who starts a storyline is committed to finishing it.

If you've got committed players and a consistent idea of rewards round-robin GMing can be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it.

Human Paragon 3
2010-04-28, 08:57 PM
I played this way almost exclusively for about 9 years. There are many advantages to this method. Everybody gets to play a character and everyone gets to DM, too. I think you have the right idea on how to run things. We have used a number methods to divide up the load including one and done (and if you didn't finish what you had planned, too bad), DM as many as you need to finish your thought (preferably 1-2), and each DM handling an arc of 5 sessions which must be a self contained story that can transition into the next DM's arc. They all work, but I think we had the most success when DMs were free to complete small arcs that formed a complete subplot.

In general, my favorite thing about round robbin DMing is when one DM/Player does something really unexpected with another's plot thread. The rewards of this method can be great, but require a mature group.

As you say, it is vital not to favor your own character. Additionally, you need to be willing to accept the actions of the other DM/players. You can't be worried about the next guy "ruining" your story. And you can't be in competition with your fellow DMs.

I would also recomend having a way to take your DMpc out of the equation occasionally. It gets annoying to have to run a PC and DM silmotaneously. If you are too worried about running your DMpc, you may find yourself unable to give either the attention it deserves.

I'm sure I'll come up with a lot of other tips, but in general this is a good way to run a game, and I think you guys will have a lot of fun.

valadil
2010-04-28, 10:54 PM
I've done this once. It was awesome. Here's my advice:

Let each GM run for 2-4 sessions. This is enough time for a decent arc.
Between GMs, everyone levels.
Give out GP instead of loot. Let people buy from Magic Marts between GMs. Ban items as needed.
Use a wiki to store information. Everyone should have equal access to public info.
Vote on character builds ahead of time. This helps ensure an even power level across the board.

Kurald Galain
2010-04-29, 03:29 AM
So, in the next month or so a group of friends and I are going to start a new D&D 4e game. Rather than force someone to volunteer to be a GM, we've decided to try a round-robin style of GMing, in which we take turns by natural arc ("I'm GMing until we get through the jungle." "I'm GMing until we capture the bandits that robbed us." "I'm GMing until we find the missing high priest." and so on).

Of course, that means that if the players decide to not capture the bandits, you'll be DM'ing forever :smalltongue: