PDA

View Full Version : My Relatively Simple System

Saveducks
2010-04-28, 10:43 PM
Ok so I have recently developed a homebrew system that I call. The System. It is bassicaly a class-less system that can be set in any time-frame (so far I have only used it with modern and near modern). So here are the rules:
You have 7 attributes; Strength, Coordination, Intellect, Toughness, Charisma, Awareness and last and least Adrenaline
Strength: Entails most physical combat and the majority of your health
Coordination: Is used for accuracy and damge on most gun-like weapons accuracy and most spell and used for dodge among other dextorous things
Intellect: Determines damage on most spells and used for intelligence based skills
Toughness: Extra health and determines defense
Charisma: Social situations and can be used by some casters
Awareness: Used mainly for perception
Adrenaline: Depending on your adrenaline once you take a certian amount of damage you no longer feel your wounds for a small amount of time.
Skills: There are 12 skills
Fighting- Mellee accuracy and damage
Psionics- Magic control and damage
Marksmanship- Accuracy on ranged and magical attacks
Athletics- Dodge and athletic type stuff
Craft- How strong you're special ability is or how profficient you are at manipulating you're magic or abilities.
Knowledge: A general knowledge skill
Medicine: Used for healing check from mundane to magical
Social: Diplomacy bluff and all the other DnD social esque skills rolled into one.
Stealth: Sneaking around and such
Manuvers: Crazy use of you're body ie. I jump from that wall to that wall do a backflip and land on the guys head.
Perception: How well you percieve things
Transport: Like manuvers exept with vehicles
There are traits which will be explained in a moment.
It uses a wound system see below

Charecter Creation:
In charecter creation a the player recieves 26 points to distribute beetween traits and attributes (I recomend you spend around 20 on attributes and use flaws for additional traits) the max a player can have in anyone trait or skill is six points. Then the player makes up traits for there charecter traits are for things like supernatural abilities, devices that our magical and can only be obtained through traits, or anything you can think of here is an example: I made a charecter called Coca-Cola bear I used 2 traits to be a mascot polar bear, 2 points on improving my claws, 2on a being able to emit an ice cloud that stuns people around, 2 on short distance teleport, and 4 on being able to multiattack. Now any one counting would realize that I spent 10 points on traits however I was able to counter balance this by supplementing with flaws. For example he took a 2 point flaw for being hated by the all powerful Pepsi co. and a 3 point flaw for having a deep dark secret, he had once tried pepsi if anyone learned about this Coke Bear would be fired and shunned by all his Coke co. friends furthermore someone knows this secret and Coke Bear has to pay him 50% of his salary to keep him quiet.

Health:
To find your health doble you're strenght and add you're toughness. And then for you're adrenaline level add from the bottom. For example Joe has 3 strength two toughness and 2 adreneline so his hp would look something like this
00 888888 66 0=adrenaline 8=strength 6=toughness

Attacking and Defending
First of all and I really should have mentioned this earlier this is a D6 system. For all attacking, dodging, and skill checks you use 2d6
To determine you're to-hit on a mellee roll 2d6 +fighting+strength
For damage rolls, roll D6's equal to your strength and +1 if you have 1-4 ranks in fighting, and +2 if you have 5-6.
For Ranged attacks with ranged weapons You gennerally substitute Strength with coordination and Fighting with Marksmanship
For magic although mainly up to GM discression I have gennerally used Coordination and marksmanship to hit and Intellect and Psionics for damage.
For dodging add your Coordination to your Marksmanship, in a to hit situation dodger wins ties
For defense you gain defensive dice equall to your toughness +1 if you have a 1-4 in fighting and +2 if you have a 5-6 in said skill

How damage is dealt
Damage dealing is similar to the way the soldiers fight in risk the main difference is the attacker wins ties so if Jons offense is 12d6 and Mikes defense is 6d6 they would both roll and match up there dice from least to greatest if Jon won in 5 out of the 6 dice that matched up Mike would take 11 damage (Mike managed to block one 12-1=11)

Wound system
After damage is dealt the attacker rolls a D6
1: The damage is dealt to the head further more reroll the D6 if you roll another one it was actually dealt to the neck and does critical damage. If the defender takes damage to the head he loses one intelect
2: The damage is dealt to the arms. The defender loses one strength.
3: The damage is dealt to the legs. The defender loses one coordination.
4: The damage is dealt to the gut. The defender loses one toughness.
5-6: The damage is dealt to the chest the defender does not take any stat damge.
[I]Note: It is assumed that all attacks are aimed at the torso are so wen I say you have dealt damage to the arms or legs the actuall hit probobly took place on the shoulders or hips respectively (nobody is being stabbed in the kneecap.I]
Stat damage: Stat damage is recovered in coorespondence with the health.

Healing: Players can be healed slowly through heal checks however I would suggest every party have member with some sort of healing trait like a medi-gun or magical coke bottles you chuck at people to make them feel better My general rule of thumb for trait points to healing is 1 trait point to 1d3 of healing and 2d3's = a D6 so 5 points would be 2d6 and one D3 this healing goes directly to there life.

Crits and Mini- Crits
On a natural 12 with 2d6's damge is doubled damage is also doubled on a shot to the neck mentioned above. Mini Crits occur when (on an attack roll) the player rolls a 6 and a 4 or 5 on mini crit the player explodes there damage meaning once damgae is calculated they get to reroll there 6's and add that to the total damage dice can be exploded infinitley. For example if Jon rolls 3d6 for his attack and rolls one 6 he can reroll that 6 if he gets a 1-5 it will have just been exploded once so he would 4 damage (3+1 explosion) however if he roll another six he can explode it again.

I would like to hear any comments,criticisms, suggestions or things that were not explained clearly. (It might not have been as simple as I thought)
Sorry for any mispellings

Temotei
2010-04-28, 11:36 PM
Formatting would be an excellent way to make this easier to read and more enjoyable.

-- Center
-- Bold
-- Italics
-- Underline
-- Size 3 (Use different sizes for main headings.)
-- Black text (Use different colors for main headings if you like, although this isn't necessary.)

Saveducks
2010-04-28, 11:57 PM
Okay thanks

Knaight
2010-04-29, 05:43 PM
No skills for knowledge beyond one, no profession or craft type skills, and almost all the skills are very combat centric. This breaks down the instant someone tries to make a non combatant, and needs to be fixed. Yes, you can use up traits there, but for mundane skills that is absurd.

Adrenaline is vaguely and poorly defined, and the example of health is just odd and probably not what is intended. The system in general is poorly suited to anything but hack and slash, not very deep play, though obviously deep play can happen in it. Really, every party needs a medigun type?

Saveducks
2010-04-29, 06:12 PM
Well skills were gennerally intended as a basic guideline my groub has added various skills such as technology, chemistry and bioengineering. In response to the every patry needing a medigun type I probably mispoke most campaigns I have played with this have had enough combat to warrant such a need but it is certainly not necessary. I am thinking about how to explain the health system better

Knaight
2010-04-29, 06:44 PM
The health system is 2(Strength)+Toughness, correct? So a strength 8 and toughness 6 gives 22 hit points. Or am I completely off?

Saveducks
2010-04-29, 06:48 PM
Yes, you are on, except initially you can only have a max of 6 in any one stat.

Zeta Kai
2010-04-29, 08:24 PM
Wound system
After damage is dealt the attacker rolls a D6
1: The damage is dealt to the head further more reroll the D6 if you roll another one it was actually dealt to the neck and does critical damage. If the defender takes damage to the head he loses one intellect
2: The damage is dealt to the arms. The defender loses one strength.
3: The damage is dealt to the legs. The defender loses one coordination.
4: The damage is dealt to the gut. The defender loses one toughness.
5-6: The damage is dealt to the chest the defender does not take any stat damage.
Note: It is assumed that all attacks are aimed at the torso are so when I say you have dealt damage to the arms or legs the actually hit probably took place on the shoulders or hips respectively (nobody is being stabbed in the kneecap.

Here's an idea for a possible improvement:

After damage is dealt the defender rolls 3d6, & consults the chart below:
{table=head]Roll (3d6)|Body Part|Damage Type
3|Neck|Critical
4|Head|-1 Intellect
5|Left Leg|-1 Coordination
6|Left Arm|-1 Strength
7|Left Shoulder|-1 Strength
8|Left Hip|-1 Coordination
9|Abdomen|-1 Toughness
10|Torso|Normal (No Stat Damage)
11|Torso|Normal (No Stat Damage)
12|Abdomen|-1 Toughness
13|Right Hip|-1 Coordination
14|Right Shoulder|-1 Strength
15|Right Arm|-1 Strength
16|Right Leg|-1 Coordination
17|Face|-1 Awareness
18|Groin|Critical[/table]

There, now you have a simple system for determining exactly where the defender was hit, what kind of damage was done, & the 3d6 makes for an elegant bell curve (IE the probability of rolling a 10 or 11 is much higher than rolling a 3 or an 18). Enjoy.

Knaight
2010-04-29, 10:41 PM
Yes, you are on, except initially you can only have a max of 6 in any one stat.

Well yeah. The example is a bit of a veteran.

Saveducks
2010-04-29, 11:12 PM
Here's an idea for a possible improvement:

After damage is dealt the defender rolls 3d6, & consults the chart below:
{table=head]Roll (3d6)|Body Part|Damage Type
3|Neck|Critical
4|Head|-1 Intellect
5|Left Leg|-1 Coordination
6|Left Arm|-1 Strength
7|Left Shoulder|-1 Strength
8|Left Hip|-1 Coordination
9|Abdomen|-1 Toughness
10|Torso|Normal (No Stat Damage)
11|Torso|Normal (No Stat Damage)
12|Abdomen|-1 Toughness
13|Right Hip|-1 Coordination
14|Right Shoulder|-1 Strength
15|Right Arm|-1 Strength
16|Right Leg|-1 Coordination
17|Face|-1 Awareness
18|Groin|Critical[/table]

There, now you have a simple system for determining exactly where the defender was hit, what kind of damage was done, & the 3d6 makes for an elegant bell curve (IE the probability of rolling a 10 or 11 is much higher than rolling a 3 or an 18). Enjoy.

Thats a great idea and I will use it.:smallsmile: