PDA

View Full Version : Natural Weapons and Range (3.5)

DragonKnight
2010-04-29, 01:04 AM
Warning: This is not a Min-max idea, nor a powergame build. It's just something fun I'm wanting to play in a small solo game.

Random question here. I'm working on a character for a solo game that is coming up shortly. Basic build is Changeling Psychic Warrior using Claws of the Beast and focusing on natural weapons.

Just curious, are their feats/magic items listed anywhere that increase your range with them? I'm doing a horror-ish character, and using the claws and stretching the arms out to make a sweep is an image I'd like to accomplish.

Any ideas, printed or homebrew, would be cool.

Pluto
2010-04-29, 01:07 AM
Lords of Madness has the Aberrant Inhuman Reach feat, which would work for this. And it makes you kind of creepy and monstrous.

Libris Mortis has Willing Deformity (Tall). That's got more of a self-mutilation flavor to it, which may or may not be a bit of a turn-off.

DragonKnight
2010-04-29, 01:11 AM
I'm borrowing from the game Prototype, this character would have been a magic experiment that broke out and is on the run. Playing the psionics as he can manipulate his body directly.

Just a small insight.

Also, thanks. I'd completely forgotten about Lords of Madness

gdiddy
2010-04-29, 01:12 AM
Tall Deformity [Vile] +5 ft. -1 AC, Heroes of Horror, page 121

Inhuman Reach [Aberrant] +5 ft, -1 to hit, Lords of Madness, page 180

Enlarge, too.

I think there is another spell, too. Can't Remember.

senrath
2010-04-29, 01:13 AM
I think a few levels of Warshaper (3 or 4, I think) will give you reach with your natural weapons.

Krazddndfreek
2010-04-29, 01:15 AM
Since you're using Psychic warrior, you could take the Soulknife class feature variant. After that, you take that one feat that allows you to make your soulknife into any weapon you're proficient with and bam. Throwable natural attacks. Suboptimal, I know, but it sounds pretty fun.

BobVosh
2010-04-29, 02:16 AM
I'm borrowing from the game Prototype, this character would have been a magic experiment that broke out and is on the run. Playing the psionics as he can manipulate his body directly.

I think a few levels of Warshaper (3 or 4, I think) will give you reach with your natural weapons.

I was going to recommend warshaper. Now that I see your inspiration, I recommend it even harder. It allows you to change your limbs into various creatures natural weapons, gives you +5 foot reach, allows a little bit of healing when you change, makes you immune to criticals, and a few other goodies I can't remember. It is an amazing PrC that really fits my concept of Mercer.

senrath
2010-04-29, 02:17 AM
+4 Str and Con at Warshaper 2, for one.

Yora
2010-04-29, 02:21 AM
It's a psychic warrior, so why didn't anyone mention the power expansion yet?
I often read that it's a must have power for PsyWars, exactly because it grants reach. It says you grow completely in size, but you can easily say that you only increase the length of your limbs. And it's also a changeling, so even if the power does not allow that, you could just use minor shapechange to shrink the rest of the body back.

AdalKar
2010-04-29, 03:15 AM
There is also this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777) thread from Person Man about increasing size and reach and other usefull stuff :smallwink:

Person_Man
2010-04-29, 08:43 AM
What AdalKar posted. Also, you could use Kensai to enchant your claws with Throwing, and Bloodstorm Blade to count them as melee attacks at a range.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 10:19 AM
The Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a) specifically lists throwing as an enhancement you could put on your natural weapon attacks. You will have to pay for the enhancement of each natural weapon separately.

Prime32
2010-04-29, 11:12 AM
It's a psychic warrior, so why didn't anyone mention the power expansion yet?
I often read that it's a must have power for PsyWars, exactly because it grants reach. It says you grow completely in size, but you can easily say that you only increase the length of your limbs. And it's also a changeling, so even if the power does not allow that, you could just use minor shapechange to shrink the rest of the body back.There's also the reach power on the Wizards site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827e).

See also the blood wind spell (Savage Species) which lets you make ranged attacks with natural weapons.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-29, 01:06 PM
There's also Ring the Golden Bell from DMC that lets you do the same thing with a feat

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 01:13 PM
There's also Ring the Golden Bell from DMC that lets you do the same thing with a feat
What's DMC? :smallconfused:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-29, 01:18 PM
What's DMC? :smallconfused:

Dragon Magazine Compendium

DragonKnight
2010-04-29, 07:05 PM
Thanks a lot, guys. Very helpful responses :D

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 07:22 PM
Dragon Magazine Compendium
I've got that book, and since there's no "Magazine" in the title, I drew a blank. I guess it should be DCVI if you want to abbreviate it: Dragon Compendium: Volume I.

Prime32
2010-04-30, 05:48 AM
I use DrComp