PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Statting up: Richter Belmont (Castlevania)

Greymane
2010-04-29, 04:01 AM
Well. It's that time again. When I happen to be looking at pictures, or picking up a game that causes me to wax nostalgic...

It just so happens, that the flavor of the day was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. While I understand that one's about Alucard, the opening (and later, unlocking Richter for normal play) with Richter as being playable always screamed 'awesome' to me.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Richter_Belmont

For those of you who have played some of the Castlevania games and are a little more familiar with him, how would you go about statting him out, assuming all official sources are available? I am rather inclined to say that his 'whip' should be a 'spiked chain', though, as whips don't actually hurt undead in D&D at all.

I humbly ask the Playground for some insight in this matter.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-29, 07:35 AM
I am rather inclined to say that his 'whip' should be a 'spiked chain', though, as whips don't actually hurt undead in D&D at all.

As far as I can recall, the Belmont's famous whip Vampire Killer was specially designed to work against undead. It would probably be something like a Holy Evil-Bane Undead-Bane Whip +whatever. At this point, it's not really the whip's physical damage that matters anymore. Any creature wearing armor or immune to nonlethal damage would still take the applicable extra damage dice.

About Richter himself, I can't really help much. He didn't seem all that spectacular in SotN to me. He's probably more agile than strong, but still pretty strong. I remember he could do a lot of flips and slides and other acrobatic moves. IMO, his coolest move was Item Crush (or at least that's what my friends called it), his super attack with each of the various sub-weapons. Also, prob'ly has a low Will save, since he got mind controlled by Shaft.

Eldan
2010-04-29, 08:15 AM
One could take the dagger whip, which deals normal damage. I agree on the holy undeadbane weapon, though. Demonbane as well, most likely, since a lot of dracula's creatures aren't really undead at all.

I'd probably also stat him as a ranger with favoured enemies undead, demon and aberration.

Person_Man
2010-04-29, 09:54 AM
All of the exotic weapons scream Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526) to me.

There's dozens of different ways to get your Jump check to obscene levels and/or add "double jump" like abilities - Raptorian, Dragonborn, Incarnate, Leap of Heavens, Thri-Kreen, magic items, etc.