PDA

View Full Version : Factory Resets Suck

alchemyprime
2010-04-29, 10:18 AM
:smallfrown:So I have had my laptop for a few years now, and it's been running Vista, which I thought "Oh, everyone is over reacting. It works fine!"

This is true. Unless some jerk sabotages your computer while you're going to the restroom and to hand off your DSi to your girlfriend who came out to visit you on a day she didn't have class.

So, plus side: Got to spend all day yesterday with my girlfriend!

Minus side: I then spent two hours with Tech Support, then an hour factory resetting my laptop. And I tried every system restore in the last two months. NONE OF THEM WORK.

At least, at LEAST I didn't lose much. Two weeks of files, because I back up regularly. A few pdfs, one exe, a few cbz and cbr files, a doc or two. And all my work on my D&D homebrew class, the Warlord (not original, I know, but its for a variant system to D&D 3.5 so it can run much more high powered games). And all the pictures of my girlfriend and a bajillion demotivators. And the saves I had in Plants vs Zombies.

So not feeling too well about all this. :smallfrown:

So I know this is gonna sound weird in a griping thread, but since I lost so many files, can someone help me out in the one area I know they can? Some general or D&D (de)motivators? I lost about 300 of them. Also any other lol worthy images or charts & graphs you have.

Yes. I grab lotsa files. Yes I back up every Saturday. Yes, I saved them between backups. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Alchemyprime

Syka
2010-04-29, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that. :smallfrown: Even though I backed up EVERYTHING (all documents, all pictures, all programs I might need, all music), I was still soooo paranoid when I did my factory reset. After 5 years with my computer, setting it back was scary despite having everything backed up in two places (my EHD and my Udrive at school).

Good luck. I hope you can get stuff back.

Also...this is the one upside to uploading pictures to Facebook/Myspace. :smallwink:

Superglucose
2010-04-29, 10:58 AM
I lost a lot of my more important documents when I reformatted about a year and a couple months ago. One of them was a small series of sketches, I lost a poem that I'd written about an ex girlfriend, and there were a few other things I lost too.

I also apparently managed to install all of my IDE cables twice :smallconfused: I work in a tech shop and have a lot of friends who also work in tech shops and none of us have figured out how I managed it. This computer is so quirky I absolutely love it.

SilentDragoon
2010-04-29, 11:12 AM
Not sure if you saw it but right now in the Roleplaying Games section this thread has a few motivators/demotivators. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150356)

Worst part about resetting is reinstalling everything. I don't back up too often so I usually just have to write it off and reinstall everything from scratch... Come to think of it... *goes to back up HDs*

alchemyprime
2010-04-29, 02:16 PM
Not sure if you saw it but right now in the Roleplaying Games section this thread has a few motivators/demotivators. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150356)

Worst part about resetting is reinstalling everything. I don't back up too often so I usually just have to write it off and reinstall everything from scratch... Come to think of it... *goes to back up HDs*

Yeah. I was backed up to two weeks ago. I've been meaning to back up every week, but I forgot last week.