PDA

View Full Version : Random Character Selection

reptilecobra13
2010-04-29, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, I'm thinking of running Tomb of Horrors this summer for a group of friends (the 3.5 edition), and I know that the majority of my players have a set race/class that they use in almost every game they play. In order to get them to think outside the box a little, I'm considering having a few pre-built concept characters (human sorc, dwarf fighter, elf rogue, etc.) and letting them draw for their character and then come up with stats, style (weapons and armor, feats, skills), and background themselves. Have any of you tried this, or something similar?

the humanity
2010-04-29, 12:22 PM
I've wanted to try something like this.

might I suggest a multioption thing, such as...

-draw 3 cards-
ok bob, you can be a _________, a _________, or a ____________.

that way if there is one class the player is adverse to, they wont be forced to pick it.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-29, 12:24 PM
Not bad. I could at least give them a "re-draw" option.

Mythestopheles
2010-04-29, 12:25 PM
Hmm, interesting. You could also tell them they have to be say... an arcane caster. Let them work out the details.

Something like, more than half of your levels include a class with:
Melee: Full BaB
Skillmonkey: 6+ skill points per level
Arcane: Full arcane casting
Divine: Full divine casting

Just an idea, feel free to use or ignore.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 12:34 PM
Here's what I would do: instead of the old methods of either point buy or roll-4d63-arrange-as-desired, use the simple, yet effective, method of roll-4d6b3-in-order.

Or 5d6b3, if you want to give them more options. Usually this forces a player into a concept, but not necessarily into a class.

Mythestopheles
2010-04-29, 01:36 PM
Here's what I would do: instead of the old methods of either point buy or roll-4d63-arrange-as-desired, use the simple, yet effective, method of roll-4d6b3-in-order.

Or 5d6b3, if you want to give them more options. Usually this forces a player into a concept, but not necessarily into a class.

Good idea. At the very least it makes players think outside the box to get the character concept they want to play.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-29, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'd like them to be able to play something that they feel comfortable enough with (at least mechanically), but not the same exact character they've played in the last three campaigns. I'm leaning towards making a handful of options (at least two-three per player I'll have) in a hat, letting the player draw one, and giving them an option of a re-draw if they get something they don't think they could handle. I'd only be locking them in to a race/class, and I'd let them roll their stats (or do a point buy system) after they knew what they'd be playing. I may do a test run of this system over the weekend. Thanks for the suggestions. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 03:11 PM
Write the races & classes into two numbered lists. Then have them roll a dice for each.

TheThan
2010-04-29, 03:25 PM
No, have them come up with their own characters. Then when they sit at the table, have each one pass their character sheet to the right. so they all get stuck with one-another’s character sheet. this can be even better if everyone sits at different spots each game session.

the humanity
2010-04-29, 03:27 PM
Write the races & classes into two numbered lists. Then have them roll a dice for each.

isn't there one of those for NPCs in the DMs guide?

maybe give that a try.

horseboy
2010-04-29, 03:54 PM
No, have them come up with their own characters. Then when they sit at the table, have each one pass their character sheet to the right. so they all get stuck with one-another’s character sheet. this can be even better if everyone sits at different spots each game session.

Or have them draw character names out of a hat.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-29, 10:54 PM
Years ago, my DM did something like this. We were only using the the core classes and races from PHB (3.0). We selected 3 classes we did NOT want to play and one race we did NOT want to play. We then chose two races at random and three classes at random and made a character from one of each.

For the record, I said no to gnomes and to wizards, sorcerors and druids. I ended up with either dwarf or human for class and either bard, fighter or barbarian for class. End result: Human Bard.

It was fun to do and forced us to look at different classes than we usually played. I had played a half-elf cleric for almost two years at that point, so the change was welcome.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-30, 02:41 AM
Years ago, my DM did something like this. We were only using the the core classes and races from PHB (3.0). We selected 3 classes we did NOT want to play and one race we did NOT want to play. We then chose two races at random and three classes at random and made a character from one of each.

For the record, I said no to gnomes and to wizards, sorcerors and druids. I ended up with either dwarf or human for class and either bard, fighter or barbarian for class. End result: Human Bard.

It was fun to do and forced us to look at different classes than we usually played. I had played a half-elf cleric for almost two years at that point, so the change was welcome.

Good sir, I think you win. This is my favorite suggestion this far. Thank you all.