PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves vs Giants [3.5]

Scarey Nerd
2010-04-29, 02:07 PM
There are mentions in the Players Handbook etc of there being huge wars between giants and dwarves, leading to dwarves training against them (+4 dodge against giants etc). Is there any other mentions of these wars in the books that I just haven't found, or is it up to the DM to invent said wars as history, or none of the above?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-29, 02:09 PM
There are mentions in the Players Handbook etc of there being huge wars between giants and dwarves, leading to dwarves training against them (+4 doge against giants etc). Is there any other mentions of these wars in the books that I just haven't found, or is it up to the DM to invent said wars as history, or none of the above?

up to the GM.

Though i think it some of the earlyer books(2nd ed specificaly) they talk about them constantly fighting.

In 3.5 i could see dwarves and gnomes fighting giants.

Scarey Nerd
2010-04-29, 02:10 PM
In 3.5 i could see dwarves and gnomes fighting giants.

Ah yes, forgot about gnomes fighting them as well :smallredface:

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-29, 02:17 PM
Ah yes, forgot about gnomes fighting them as well :smallredface:

they have the giant fighter prestige class..

Edit: which by the way i don't understand why dwarves can't take it.

Scarey Nerd
2010-04-29, 02:20 PM
...I think I might go cry in a corner... :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, my group plays core 3.5, basically just the PHB, DMG and MM, with the EPH thrown in for good measure :smallwink: The only prestiges I know about are in the DMG ir ones for psionics.
What's the giant fighter prestige like? (Or alternatively, what book is it in?)

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-29, 02:24 PM

In all seriousness, my group plays core 3.5, basically just the PHB, DMG and MM, with the EPH thrown in for good measure :smallwink: The only prestiges I know about are in the DMG ir ones for psionics.

Its not that great. Basicaly gives you bonus's to fighting things larger then your self.

From races of stone i belive.
I think its a translation from the Giant slayer kit in 2nd ed.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-29, 02:31 PM

Hey, some of those aren't bad.
There are few good gnomes ones.

I like Blade bravodo (gnome Prc in Races of Stone). makes you better at fighting larger creatures. Light armored fighting class (good vs giants and other things). Level 5 grants +2 dodge AC per size difference (so +2 vs meduim if you are small).

CW has Giant slayer one (as it was one of the initial Prcs it isn't very good). The designers were still testing waters. CW Prcs are hit or miss.
1st and 2nd level of Prc are good, but the rest aren't so much.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-29, 02:34 PM
Hey, some of those aren't bad.
There are few good gnomes ones.

I like Blade bravodo (gnome Prc in Races of Stone). makes you better at fighting larger creatures. Light armored fighting class (good vs giants and other things). Level 5 grants +2 dodge AC per size difference (so +2 vs meduim if you are small).

CW has Giant slayer one (as it was one of the initial Prcs it isn't very good). The designers were still testing waters. CW Prcs are hit or miss.
1st and 2nd level of Prc are good, but the rest aren't so much.

bagh im retarded ya its in CW.

Optimystik
2010-04-29, 02:46 PM
they have the giant fighter prestige class..

Edit: which by the way i don't understand why dwarves can't take it.

The point of the PrC is using your Small size to confuse Giants - but Dwarves are Medium, not Small.

For example, a Dwarf wouldn't get any bonus to fighting Ogres from that PrC even if he were allowed to take it, but a Gnome always will.