PDA

View Full Version : What if you could have one wish?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 03:07 PM
Suddenly an entity enters your dreams. It looks like someone you've known for a long time, maybe a relative or a good friend.

It tells you it has immense power and will grant you one wish. There are no unforeseen consequences, no legal trickery, no dead family members in exchange etc. As long as your wish is viable (and doesn't involve getting more wishes) it will grant it, no questions asked.

What will you wish for?

Me: I'd wish to go back to my first day of Year 7 with full knowledge of my life. I want to go back and start from scratch.

Bucky
2010-04-29, 03:14 PM
Suddenly an entity enters your dreams. It looks like someone you've known for a long time, maybe a relative or a good friend.

It tells you it has immense power and will grant you one wish. There are no unforeseen consequences, no legal trickery, no dead family members in exchange etc. As long as your wish is viable it will grant it, no questions asked.

What will you wish for?

I'd go for a wish chain i.e. "I wish for another opportunity exactly like this one to receive a wish, along with X". Repeat for each X that I want.

EDIT:The first X is likely "the wisdom to use it properly". Followed closely by "an intuitive sense of exactly how much I can get away with"

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 03:16 PM
I'd go for a wish chain i.e. "I wish for another opportunity exactly like this one to receive a wish, along with X". Repeat for each X you want

Good wish.

Comet
2010-04-29, 03:17 PM
Telekinesis.
Honestly, that's all I'd need. I'm pretty happy with how things are going in my life, but being able to go all mind over matter on the world would make things a fair bit more interesting.

druid91
2010-04-29, 03:18 PM
I wish the world functioned by d&d 3.5 raw in respect to only me except in the event of me meddling in someones affairs(So I shoot some guy with a gun he takes 1d4 damage instead of having his lungs punctured and dying not to say that he wouldn't die but....), inherent in this wish is that I am a level 6 character of a build assigned by me.

arguskos
2010-04-29, 03:20 PM
Endless wealth. This way, I can secure the health and safety of my entire family, along with all those that have affected me well (such as good friends), and contribute through charities and research to the betterment of the world at large.

Further, it would permit me to do as I pleased with my life, experiencing the things I wish at the pace I want with the freedom I so deeply desire.

Perhaps this is a selfish wish. If so, I don't care. The chance to do right by my family, friends, and the world at large outweigh the selfish nature of the wish.

Starscream
2010-04-29, 03:23 PM
No world peace? Fine, I'll be the first; world peace.

But if I'm being too much of a party pooper; my own TARDIS.

druid91
2010-04-29, 03:24 PM
No world peace? Fine, I'll be the first; world peace.

But if I'm being too much of a party pooper; my own TARDIS.

I would make world peace... under the iron fist that is a 3.5 casters raw power. of course it wouldn't be an evil iron fist.:smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 03:27 PM
I would make world peace... under the iron fist that is a 3.5 casters raw power. of course it wouldn't be an evil iron fist.:smalltongue:

How does one use a good iron fist?

Bucky
2010-04-29, 03:28 PM

By making it good and wise with another link in the wish chain of course :smallwink:

druid91
2010-04-29, 03:29 PM

Very carefully, so as to avoid squishing the innocent.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 03:35 PM
I've edited in a "no extra wishes" clause into the first post. Bucky can keep theirs because they got it before the edit :smallwink:

druid91
2010-04-29, 03:38 PM
I've edited in a "no extra wishes" clause into the first post. Bucky can keep theirs because they got it before the edit :smallwink:

Can I still use 3.5 raw to break the universe?:smalleek:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-29, 03:38 PM
Honestly, I'd probably wish for the ability to give myself whatever minor powers I want (ability to fly kinda sorta, minor telekinesis, being able to jump higher) because I am selfish. Although I'd try and find ways to use my selfishness to help others.

golentan
2010-04-29, 03:40 PM
I'd wish for everyone in the universe to be healthy and well fed for the rest of their lives, and for wars to no longer be necessary.

druid91
2010-04-29, 03:41 PM
I'd wish for everyone in the universe to be healthy and well fed for the rest of their lives, and for wars to no longer be necessary.

but then... what would we do for fun?!

Bucky
2010-04-29, 03:45 PM

That actually makes things worse, since I can modify the recursive loop to all fit into one wish with the exception of the ones that are mainly there to make later parts safer.

However, at that point I'd probably just do a meta-wish similar in concept to the one that The Dark Fiddler just came up with.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 03:46 PM
Can I still use 3.5 raw to break the universe?:smalleek:

Well D&D Wish drains away your lifeforce (at least that's how I see XP), so sure, why not.

Kaelaroth
2010-04-29, 03:46 PM
I'm immediately torn between asking for high-powered super-powers, and craving "my heart's desire", whatever it is...

golentan
2010-04-29, 03:47 PM
but then... what would we do for fun?!

You want, you can still kill each other. But it won't be necessary.

druid91
2010-04-29, 03:51 PM
You want, you can still kill each other. But it won't be necessary.

Ohh... Now I get it. :smallbiggrin:

Well D&D Wish drains away your lifeforce (at least that's how I see XP), so sure, why not.

Not with some nice cheddar it doesn't.:smallbiggrin:

Mauther
2010-04-29, 03:56 PM
"If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all the children to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace. If I had two wishes..."

Inhuman Bot
2010-04-29, 03:58 PM
All the powers of a 30th level D&D 3.5 Wizard, with the abilities to use them. :smalltongue:

Maybe with a 30th level cleric, too.

Project_Mayhem
2010-04-29, 03:59 PM
I'd wish for a bag of coffee beans. The shop just shut, and I'm cramming an essay tonight

Dogmantra
2010-04-29, 04:00 PM
Shapeshifting.

Totally.

druid91
2010-04-29, 04:01 PM
All the powers of a 30th level D&D 3.5 Wizard, with the abilities to use them. :smalltongue:

Maybe with a 30th level cleric, too.

You know what? We need to team up, I have the power of "the dm is dead" style RAW, and you have the class levels.

Go D&D Squad of {Undecided on whether to be a scourge of humanity or heroes.}!!

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-29, 04:02 PM
Ability to teleport.

The J Pizzel
2010-04-29, 04:03 PM
My first thought is a universal cure for all types of cancer. I'm tired of the people I love dying of cancer.

If that's a no go...endless wealth. To provide for me and my family...and to donate to research to find a universal cure for all types of cancer.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-29, 04:08 PM
I'd wish for Omniscience.

DraPrime
2010-04-29, 04:20 PM

I would one-up that with omnipotence. Then, with my absolute power, I would give myself omnipresence and omnisience. After that, I would destroy the being that gave me my power to make sure that there are no other major contenders in the universe.

druid91
2010-04-29, 04:21 PM

Does that include the capacity to hold all of that knowledge? Is their a wait time while you survey all information in existence in order to find the one specific thing you need?:smalleek:

This is unlimited magical power to do anything giving you these powers, you have to set things up just right to avoid horrid consequences.:smallwink:

I would one-up that with omnipotence. Then, with my absolute power, I would give myself omnipresence and omnisience. After that, I would destroy the being that gave me my power to make sure that there are no other major contenders in the universe.

I would defy you with my epic RAW power!! (see what I did there?)

PirateMonk
2010-04-29, 04:25 PM
Unlimited reality warping, including control over logic. So, pretty much the same as Dragonprime.

Castaras
2010-04-29, 04:29 PM
Hmm. A difficult one.

My first thought would be omnipotence. But then I would have all that power to do good - but probably would end up being selfish, spoilt, and using it just for myself and not to help anyone else. Plus the fact that I wouldn't feel comfortable with that - like a cheat code for real life.

I'd hope that I'd ask for something like world peace or for the world to never go hungry or something, but I think I'd most likely end up wishing for my fear of medical things and jabs, and my tendancy to faint to go away. Then I'd be happy.

Player_Zero
2010-04-29, 04:35 PM
"I wish for whatever I want the most."

Done and done. Without the hassle of that pesky 'thinking' nonsense.

druid91
2010-04-29, 04:39 PM

But what if what you want the most at the moment is a cheese sandwich?

Player_Zero
2010-04-29, 04:41 PM
But what if what you want the most at the moment is a cheese sandwich?

Then I'll be satisfied won't I? It's what I wanted the most.

druid91
2010-04-29, 04:41 PM
Then I'll be satisfied won't I? It's what I wanted the most.

Talk about taking joy in the little things....

golentan
2010-04-29, 04:42 PM

Why not "Need the most" or "Will bring me the most long term Joy?"

Player_Zero
2010-04-29, 04:43 PM
Why not "Need the most" or "Will bring me the most long term Joy?"

Because that's a petty semantic difference and I don't really care to make formal documentation of a simple hypothetical.

Totally Guy
2010-04-29, 04:52 PM
This happened to me the other day. Old Mother Shipton's wishing well... I wished for True Love because I didn't believe that any of that other stuff was feasible for reality.

I'm not going to waste my wish on something outside the realms of my beliefs when there is a chance that it might be for real.

It's weird how life I like that.

lsfreak
2010-04-29, 05:23 PM
As cliche as it is, money. Enough so that me and my close relatives could pay off debts and live modestly off some of the interest, plus enough for me to continue going to college for a long time (I love learning). Enough left over that can be invested, preferably with several billion in interest going to likely-looking world-betterment things every year.

Honestly, flat-out curing all disease is too much. That much unearned success, including complete collapse of medical institutions and the extinctions of probably millions of kinda of bacteria, or simple immunity to disease, would do more harm than good. Likewise, eliminating war both destroys free will and most progress. Conflict - both interpersonal and with nature - is necessary.

Trog
2010-04-29, 05:44 PM
The at will ability to instantly impart a feeling of deep satisfaction unto others (and also unto myself).

Lord Raziere
2010-04-29, 05:56 PM
Simple. I would wish I had total control over reality.

with that total control over reality, I could simply do whatever- I'd be higher than even gods, as I could make adjust reality so that I was immortal, then make reality to be whatever I see fit, adjusting everything, even granting other peoples wishes and manipulating things so that those wishes are granted without any repercussions or anything.

so with one wish, I could do anything pretty much.

Dust
2010-04-29, 06:05 PM
Mastery over time. I'd be happier if I could fix the screwups of my past. And hey, a cushy government job working as an ORACLE would be pretty sweet.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-29, 06:08 PM

See, I don't especially want to be omnipotent or omnipresent. I just want to know everything.

mucat
2010-04-29, 06:09 PM
I'm immediately torn between asking for high-powered super-powers, and craving "my heart's desire", whatever it is...
Your actual heart? It desires for you to quit drinking and smoking (if you do these things), eat a low-fat diet, and exercise regularly.

That was a boring use for a wish.

Felixaar
2010-04-29, 07:15 PM
If I had one wish it'd be for Cuba to change,
cause I think that all the Cubans are in pain.

Failing that,
World Peace.

And a boat.

druid91
2010-04-29, 07:29 PM

with that total control over reality, I could simply do whatever- I'd be higher than even gods, as I could make adjust reality so that I was immortal, then make reality to be whatever I see fit, adjusting everything, even granting other peoples wishes and manipulating things so that those wishes are granted without any repercussions or anything.

Except stop me from doing what I want.

Ilena
2010-04-29, 07:49 PM
Shapeshifting, definately my wish, able to use shapeshifting to keep myself alive for as long as i wish would be neat too :P

Askaris
2010-04-29, 08:01 PM
A flying, self sufficient city.

deuxhero
2010-04-29, 08:03 PM

this, except possibly the homicide (depends on what gave me it)

comicshorse
2010-04-29, 08:06 PM
Ridiculously high luck

Brewdude
2010-04-29, 08:38 PM
I'd wish that everyone else in the world would get a wish...that that wouldn't trigger until I approved it.

Pyrian
2010-04-29, 08:50 PM
I'd wish that people would stop posting silly wish fulfillment threads. :smalltongue:

druid91
2010-04-29, 08:55 PM
I'd wish that people would stop posting silly wish fulfillment threads. :smalltongue:

NOOOOO!!! Where would I post my silly wishes and compete with others silly wishes?

Aragehaor
2010-04-29, 09:18 PM
Simple, I'd wish to be a wizard more powerful then any magic user in Fiction created or not and real life(Im not about to take the chance that someone else already made a similar wish and destroys me with greater power. This also includes the being who gives me this power itself)

with the knowledge of how to use my powers and the ability to use them without fail. and no restrictions to my powers and the ability to hold the all the knowledge i would gain without dieing or going insane or any other such problem.

Assuming its unable to grant me such unlimited power then I'd also go with shapeshifting into anything(and i mean anything.) with complete and total control over my actions. (This means if i turn into say, a Lion. That instincts gained from the transformation dont cause me to do things i dont choose to do. Or that turning into a robot would make me unable to move because i no longer have a brain.)

Failing that aswell i'd go for immortality with the clause that if i ever willingly and knowingly spoke AND wrote(within an hour of each other)
"I wish to die" I would then die.

Force
2010-04-29, 09:42 PM
I would like to be transformed into a 3.5 Gold Dragon, Young Adult, while retaining my human personality, memories, and skills. Not the most optimized thing I could come up with, but free shapeshifting 3/day would be awesome. As I'd be a sorcerer with access to the Cleric spell lists, I'd also have some magic-- not the best stuff, not yet, but certainly useful enough. And heck, I'd be a frickin' DRAGON. How nice is that?

Cealocanth
2010-04-29, 10:03 PM
Hmm... I guess i'd wish for the ability to grant my own and other people's wishes. That way, I could make a lot of money just sitting around granting the wishes I want to. even if I deny a customer's wish I could simply wish that they'll come back with a different wish or that I would be free of charge if they decide to sue me. I prefer there to be challenge in life, so I wouldn't want to solve all the world's problems all at once, just do it piece by piece untill I've created the perfect Utopia. Then I'll colonize annother planet and start all over again.

zeratul
2010-04-29, 10:09 PM
A million more wishes of course :smallwink:

The the usual things, money, the guitar skills of alexi laiho and jimmi hendrix, flight, shapeshifting, an extremely loyal extinct shortfaced bear, goth chick harem, you know, the basics.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 12:06 AM

Give it a few trillion millenia, you'll get bored of having your every whim granted and slowly fall into an inescapable depression.

Bit of a waste of a wish, but if that's what'll make you happy then I suppose this will be the last ever wish fulfilment thread.

Starscream
2010-04-30, 12:09 AM
Give it a few trillion millenia, you'll get bored of having your every whim granted and slowly fall into an inescapable depression.

"I wish I could escape my inescapable depression." *Ding* "Yay! Chocolate milkshakes and kittens for everyone!"

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 12:17 AM
"I wish I could escape my inescapable depression." *Ding* "Yay! Chocolate milkshakes and kittens for everyone!"

:smallannoyed:

Why is it every time I say something people's first instinct is to go one better. It's like tourettes, but only related to me :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2010-04-30, 12:24 AM

I'd simply change reality from being unable to experience those things.

or maybe, I might decide to change my own mind every few millenia, to see things from a different point of view, make a ring to limit my own powers after I build a world to fight in where everyone just pops back to normal after a day, maybe even create a few of my own enemies and engage in complicated plots with them for all of existence, where we forever go through a game of wits and cunning, maybe temporarily remove my memories and give them to someone I trust so I can go be some amnesiac hero who saves the world.

I have it all thought out.

Gorgondantess
2010-04-30, 12:50 AM
I'd wish to be the guy granting the wishes.:smallwink:

absolmorph
2010-04-30, 01:03 AM
I would wish for the ability to manipulate reality to my conscious will.
Infinite power.

And then, when you get mad at someone, you accidentally remove them from reality because of your subconscious will.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-30, 01:12 AM
I would wish for the ability to manipulate reality to my conscious will.
Infinite power.

And then, when you get mad at someone, you accidentally remove them from reality because of your subconscious will.

so? I can bring em back if I want to.

or even make a better version of them.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 01:16 AM
...or even make a better version of them.

And you just hit what I like to call the "mad tyrant" phase of unlimited power :smallwink:

You can't make someone a better version of themselves, that makes them a whole different person.

Pyrian
2010-04-30, 01:35 AM
I'd wish to be the guy granting the wishes.:smallwink:Anybody else get an Alladin flashback from this? :smallbiggrin:

Lord Raziere
2010-04-30, 01:51 AM
And you just hit what I like to call the "mad tyrant" phase of unlimited power :smallwink:

You can't make someone a better version of themselves, that makes them a whole different person.

then used my powers to see the future to see that I'm going down that path and prevent myself from doing so, thus keeping me morally upright.

absolmorph
2010-04-30, 02:04 AM

I'd jump past "mad tyrant" to "making a universe that follows my rules".
Then go back to "mad tyrant".
That does include getting rid of this universe, yes.

Johel
2010-04-30, 02:14 AM
I'd go for a wish chain i.e. "I wish for another opportunity exactly like this one to receive a wish, along with X". Repeat for each X that I want.

EDIT:The first X is likely "the wisdom to use it properly". Followed closely by "an intuitive sense of exactly how much I can get away with"

...:smallsmile:

This is awfully well-thought and you're damn smart to come up with something like this.

The genie can flat refuse and say something like :
"-Technically, that's 2 wishes : 1 for the opportunity, 1 for X. Try again."
But beside this, I see no weakness.

Personnally, a 1/year ability to choose to make myself biologically younger of 5 years without this affecting my memory. The ability would be activated by uttering the sentence "-Unhappy Birthday".

Sure, I'm still mortal but I have plenty of time to find my way to godhood. :smallamused:

Athaniar
2010-04-30, 02:26 AM
UNLIMITED POWER!

No, but seriously, that is my wish. I wouldn't need any more wishes.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-30, 02:53 AM
Getting the abilities of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8002450&postcount=108) dragon except looking like Choranthau the inscrutable from Monster manual five. Or Tiamat. In addition to this, I'd want a ridiculous amount of DR so that people who saw me in my dragon form wouldn't be able to kill me. (unless they're also D&D things. In which case I might be screwed.)

Also, I'll be unable to kill anybody who doesn't deserve to die (not going to mention who would determine this because it's against board rules) and none of my magical abilities can scar anybody*.

*for life, Mentally or physically.

Sure this would be limited but here's the thing. I don't care.:smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-30, 02:53 AM
Conditional omnipotence.

That is, my hobbies will still challenge me, but anything serious will happen exactly as I want it to, as soon as I want it to, without any negative consequences for me.

Also, I will be utterly unable to kill anyone with the power.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 03:36 AM
Getting the abilities of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8002450&postcount=108) dragon except looking like Choranthau the inscrutable from Monster manual five. Or Tiamat. In addition to this, I'd want a ridiculous amount of DR so that people who saw me in my dragon form wouldn't be able to kill me. (unless they're also D&D things. In which case I might be screwed.)

Also, I'll be unable to kill anybody who doesn't deserve to die (not going to mention who would determine this because it's against board rules) and none of my magical abilities can scar anybody*.

*for life, Mentally or physically.

Sure this would be limited but here's the thing. I don't care.:smalltongue:

Thanks for the link, looks like some interesting stuff for later.

Word Salad
2010-04-30, 03:52 AM
Selective immortality with a side-order of agelessness. No death for me, until I get really, REALLY bored.

Thufir
2010-04-30, 04:18 AM
my own TARDIS.

Might want to add the ability to pilot it. Otherwise you'll just be standing there going, "Yep. I've got my own TARDIS...
What do all these things actually do...?"

And it's not something you really want to have to learn through trial and error. A few mistakes and you could blow a hole in the space-time continuum the size of Belgium.

Anybody else get an Aladdin flashback from this? :smallbiggrin:

Is anyone not?

Deca
2010-04-30, 04:23 AM
I would wish for complete omnipotence that was not only infinite in power but was also better than other omnipotent beings.

I don't Xavius, Dragonprime, absolmorph and Co muscling in on MY planet.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 04:31 AM
I would wish for complete omnipotence that was not only infinite in power but was also better than other omnipotent beings.

You're all omnipotent. Cant' you co-exist in your own multiverses.

Although the omnipotents going to war might be fun. You'd all cancel each other out and it'd basically come down to a street brawl in a very impossible backdrop.

Starscream
2010-04-30, 04:32 AM
Might want to add the ability to pilot it. Otherwise you'll just be standing there going, "Yep. I've got my own TARDIS...

Over the past 40 years it has been made abundantly clear that the Doctor has no idea what he's doing, yet he seems to get by. Even this weeks episode made jokes about his complete incompetence at flying the thing.

Besides, an object the size of a phone booth that has a seemingly limitless amount of space within is still pretty awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Although the omnipotents going to war might be fun. You'd all cancel each other out and it'd basically come down to a street brawl in a very impossible backdrop.

Perhaps this has already happened. Perhaps they are all omnipotent, and have canceled each other out, which is why the universe seems normal to us.

They can't hurt each other, so they are reduced to bickering on the internet just like everyone else.

Adumbration
2010-04-30, 04:39 AM
Being a dragon wouldn't be bad, actually. I would wish to be a Mature Adult Force dragon, for epic spellcasting, nigh-immortality and an expected lifespan of 6000 years.

(I must have fabricate and a few other select spells to restore my home to it's original state, if this wish should come true when I click submit reply. :smallcool:)

absolmorph
2010-04-30, 04:41 AM

I don't want to be omnipotent. That's boring.

Graymayre
2010-04-30, 05:34 AM
I wish I had the power to make my own dreams come true.

also a pb and j sandwhich

If that can't count, then I want to be able to change my body to whatever I please. I'd probably first make slight alterations to myself until I feel I'm perfect. Then I would rework my muscles and neural pathways until I'm as strong and smart as shakespearicles. When I want, I can reinvigorate my body, allowing me to live forever (if I wished, at any time I could stop doing it).

Dragon queen
2010-04-30, 06:05 PM
...I would wish to be....

THE RULER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

THEN I could have anything I wanted, right?

Mystic Muse
2010-04-30, 06:13 PM
...I would wish to be....

THE RULER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

THEN I could have anything I wanted, right?

Nope. instead you turn into a ruler.:smalltongue:

Partof1
2010-04-30, 07:20 PM
I would want complete comprehension and control of madness.

Or perhaps absurdity. Most likely madness.

That gives me near limitless potential, and a tyrannical air to boot.

Dragon queen
2010-05-01, 07:06 AM
Nope. instead you turn into a ruler.:smalltongue:

Then I would force them into making me more then a ruler.:smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2010-05-01, 07:12 AM
Well being for those I love.

PanNarrans
2010-05-01, 07:15 AM
Comprehensive plans to build a working fusion reactor.

Free energy for all the world, anyone?

Destro_Yersul
2010-05-01, 07:32 AM

Well, that bit over there is the timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff, yes? :smalltongue:

Personally, I wish for enough money to bring my girlfriend up here, build our dream house, and live comfortably for the foreseeable future.

Ikialev
2010-05-01, 08:24 AM
Then I would force them into making me more then a ruler.
A ruler can't really enforce anything, can it? :smalltongue:

As for me? Omnipotence. It's the only sensible answer.

PirateMonk
2010-05-01, 09:37 AM

If you really have infinite power, that includes control over logic, so neither of these are real issues. Just remove the law of unintended consequences.

I don't want to be omnipotent. That's boring.

Again, only if you want it to be. It's omnipotence.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-05-01, 10:57 AM
Just one wish, eh? Easy enough...kinda. I'd scribble out a list, including an escape clause for another wish at the very end. Wash, rinse, and repeat as needed. Ideally, think 24th Century Earth as depicted in Star Trek TNG. No poverty, no war, advanced medicine...all the good stuff, without those pesky, violent aliens. :smallsmile:

Closak
2010-05-01, 11:21 AM
I would wish for a set of three superpowers of my choice.

A: Eternal youth

B: Shapeshifting

C: Interplanar teleportation (So i can visit other universes)

There, good to go.

AtomicKitKat
2010-05-01, 12:25 PM
The power of: Alter Reality. Without the limitations that Djinn face. Time Travel? Check. Telekinesis? Check. Immortality? Check. All in one.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-01, 01:17 PM
hmmmm.....a lot of people say omnipotence...

this either suggests that we are all very rational and logical people who try to seek out the most potential out of every opportunity we are given or....:smallconfused:

deep down, everyone has the potential to be power-mad tyrants and rulers if given the chance :smalleek:

one implication merely means that we are smart, the other means that the difference between a normal person and a corrupt king is not as wide as we would like to think :smallfrown:

Gamerlord
2010-05-01, 01:39 PM
I would wish to be a ruler. No, not the king kind, the yellow, measuring, kind.

Why? I"M FRIGGIN BORED BOARD!

I know for my bad puns I shall be pun-ished.

V for Victory
2010-05-01, 01:57 PM
I would wish for Immortality, simple and with it I can get most other wishes in time.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-05-01, 02:00 PM
"Your powers. I want them."

Ravens_cry
2010-05-01, 02:18 PM
I wish I was Immortal, not killable or damageable by damage or age, unless I choose to do so to myself, not susceptible to any disease or syndrome. Why? I want to see the future. I want to see if we reach out into infinity, if we ever contact other life. It won't be Star Trek, I am sure of that, but I have hopes we will be great.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-01, 02:21 PM

What you didn't know is that granting wishes causes this particular race unending agoney, but they have to to sustain themselves, and of course they have an unbreakable survival instinct :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2010-05-01, 02:23 PM
I'd wish to be Adrian Veidt. Super-human intellect and fighting powers, Heck Yeah!

thubby
2010-05-01, 02:54 PM
i think omnipotence would get boring, in addition to the whole omnipotence being inherently impossible in premise.

Hell Puppi
2010-05-01, 04:04 PM
1) adventure

2) shapeshifting

One or the other. Or both :smallbiggrin:

Bucky
2010-05-02, 09:46 PM
To those of you who keep wishing for some variant on omnipotence: The genie will grant any *viable* wish. Presumably empowering you to do anything the genie cannot do is not viable.

The genie can flat refuse and say something like :
"-Technically, that's 2 wishes : 1 for the opportunity, 1 for X. Try again."
But beside this, I see no weakness.

In that case I rephrase it so that the second part is an exception rather than an addition e.g. "I wish for another opportunity that is exactly like this one to receive a wish, except that I have the wisdom to use it well."

Amiel
2010-05-02, 11:41 PM
Honestly, I'd wish for more wishes, and have the wishes accumulate exponentially.

Arutema
2010-05-03, 12:19 AM
To be sane.

gellerche
2010-05-03, 05:36 AM
I screwed around with my life and wound up in a dead-end career, and didn't really start to turn my life around until I was 30. And then my dad died. So my wish would be:

"I wish to know how my dad felt about me, really, before he died."

Dogmantra
2010-05-03, 06:32 AM

Granted. You know want the genie's powers.

onthetown
2010-05-03, 06:38 AM
I got my wish two months ago... My horse's old owner finally sold him to me after five years of leasing him. Sold the horse to me, not the owner. :smalltongue: I honestly can't ask for anything else after that. I'm happy.

Thajocoth
2010-05-03, 07:13 AM
It would take me a while to decide.

I wouldn't feel right asking for anything that controls other people, like world peace... I wouldn't want to alter time or physics as there's not enough understanding of the effects such changes would have in the long term. I do not want to reach the pinnacle of anything, as being the absolute best takes all the fun out of whatever it is... I don't want fame (well, no more fame than having my name in a few video games' credits gives me). Curing a disease would add to our overpopulation. We need more places to put humans already.

This leaves me with a few options...

- Prevent culinary odors from causing the very unpleasant reaction they currently do
- Patch the ozone hole
- Give me the blueprints to creating affordable under-ocean living for humans

The Demented One
2010-05-03, 07:18 AM
Dapperness. In infinite abundance.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-03, 07:19 AM
To be Dr. Mcninja.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-03, 01:15 PM
Honestly, I'd wish for more wishes, and have the wishes accumulate exponentially.

No extra wishes. Naughty Amiel :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-03, 01:27 PM
Bor's idea of a list actually isn't a bad one. "I wish for everything on this list to be fulfilled!"
Teleportation is still on the top of my list, but I'd also wish for enough money to pay for my schooling, my sister's schooling, and everyone else I know and love who is having trouble financially.
And for a job.
And for a larger German department at UMW.
And that I could study abroad.
And for everyone to be able to go to the JC meetup.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-05-03, 02:12 PM
I have thought about this all my life (= 16 years) so im going to explain why not to do the obvious. (also my spelling sucks)

first: true love. love does not exist as love. it exists as connective lust.
one persons desires fit closely with anothers to create the illusion of love.

second: world peace/cure diseases. humans differ which is why we have war. the only way you can create world peace isto change all minds to be 98% simialer. and humans differences are diseases in themselves. any difference in mental health is classed as insanity/a desease.

third: omnipotence/all powerfulness: without a challange to your power things are going to get boring REALLY quickly.

fourth:all knowing/immortality. when you know everything past,present and future you will reallise either how pointless everthing is, how badly humans willl use this knowledge, or howmuch the universe dosen't care. you will eventually fall into a depression or your head will explode. when you live forever theres the general you never get any friends thing. and after your couple thousand years of doing and learning of whoever and whatever you want yu will be REALLY bored

so finally we get to my wish
the ability to travel into any form of intertainment and play as any character
if i have already observed the story i can choose to forget it. when i die as a character i get kicked back to reality and can reenter i can choose the amount realtime i will be instory.

with this live all my fantasies without the bored factor.

absolmorph
2010-05-03, 02:16 PM
If you really have infinite power, that includes control over logic, so neither of these are real issues. Just remove the law of unintended consequences.

Again, only if you want it to be. It's omnipotence.
One of the things I enjoy most is consequences. Good, bad, whatever.
If I'm omnipotent, I can just decide what consequences will happen. To make that not a problem, I'd have to change myself. It just seems like there are so much more fun things to do.
For example, creating my own universe by giving myself the power to do so.
I'd put that universe in a marble.

Zen Monkey
2010-05-03, 02:29 PM
I wish people would treat each other right / be good to each other.

I think that would fix a lot of problems and give us the necessary foundation to grant a lot more wishes ourselves.

Eddums
2010-05-03, 02:30 PM
I'd wish to be a Time Lord, complete with TARDIS. You get near-omnicience, a immense lifespan, and time travel. You're pretty damn close to omnipotent. Of course, you'd have to be careful not to get a swollen head, re: Time Lord Victorious. Oh, and I want to be on my first incarnation. None of that 'one life' rubbish.

TBF, I mainly want this because I'm a history nut, and just time travel is boring. :smalltongue:

druid91
2010-05-03, 02:34 PM
Actually I would wish to have all the powers of sarda the sage. I can change what you say as you say it, make you barf out your own guts, and generally do crazy impossible things just to show that I can. like change days to 24 hours to get everybody to hurry up.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-03, 02:39 PM
Since Omnipotence is too easy, I'd go for telekineses. That would be sick.

golentan
2010-05-03, 11:58 PM
I have thought about this all my life (= 16 years) so im going to explain why not to do the obvious. (also my spelling sucks)

first: true love. love does not exist as love. it exists as connective lust.
one persons desires fit closely with anothers to create the illusion of love.

second: world peace/cure diseases. humans differ which is why we have war. the only way you can create world peace isto change all minds to be 98% simialer. and humans differences are diseases in themselves. any difference in mental health is classed as insanity/a desease.

third: omnipotence/all powerfulness: without a challange to your power things are going to get boring REALLY quickly.

fourth:all knowing/immortality. when you know everything past,present and future you will reallise either how pointless everthing is, how badly humans willl use this knowledge, or howmuch the universe dosen't care. you will eventually fall into a depression or your head will explode. when you live forever theres the general you never get any friends thing. and after your couple thousand years of doing and learning of whoever and whatever you want yu will be REALLY bored

so finally we get to my wish
the ability to travel into any form of intertainment and play as any character
if i have already observed the story i can choose to forget it. when i die as a character i get kicked back to reality and can reenter i can choose the amount realtime i will be instory.

with this live all my fantasies without the bored factor.

I reject your statements.

First: True love exists, even if it is rare. Lust is neither the be all end all of the spectrum or even more than tangentially related, and hopefully you'll have lots of time to realize that.

Second: What's wrong with curing mental illnesses? Difference isn't a disease, but actual diseases would be nice if they spontaneously went away. And wars happen more out of fear than anything else: Wars start because of a perceived threat, whether it's someone having a weapons program you don't like or "our country doesn't have enough food/water/land to remain stable without getting some more." Not just because the other guy is different than you. Removing those dangers would be a good way to ensure world peace without fear of suborning free will or individuality.

Third: Why? Unlimited sandbox game. Your copy of "The Sims" can't challenge you but that doesn't make it boring.

Fourth: Well, immortality sucks, granted. But it's not boring, just sad. Things aren't pointless, or rather they are solely so that people can make their own points for them. You can make friends constantly, the only thing is that they will die within a few decades. That's a long time to get close to someone though, and it's well worth it. :smallredface:

I guess what I'm saying is: You don't have these things. So you don't really have insight into how they work, only expectations. At the same time, you can't assume that they don't exist solely because you don't have them. You're 16. Tempting as it is to claim otherwise, you don't know everything yet and you haven't experienced everything you're going to. You're a fifth of the way into your life expectancy, you haven't even gotten to the part where your hormones stop trying everything in their power to sabotage the rest of your life forever and ever.

Defiant
2010-05-05, 10:08 AM
Interesting how many people would wish for money.

In light of this, I might be tempted to wish for a way for everyone to get this wish. That is, to live in a communist utopia.