PDA

View Full Version : Best Class for Throwing Axes

Zilfana
2010-04-29, 03:25 PM
I'm about to start a 3.5 campaign and i'm thinking of starting either a Dwarf or Human character that mainly throws axes as well as uses them for comment along with a broadsword or similar weapon. Think of a throw happy viking. I was thinking of going with a fighter, but not being particularly knowledgeable of the dozens of classes in 3.5, thought someone might know of a better class that can let my character hold his own while throwing alot of weapons, while being able to roleplay the throw happy aspect of the character.

Ormagoden
2010-04-29, 03:31 PM
Goliath hehehehheehhe Throw bigger axes.

Barring that jotunbrud human has the same effect.

Hell take throw anything and chuck a great axe as you charge with hurling charge

Townopolis
2010-04-29, 03:32 PM
if ToB is allowed, a warblade going into the bloodstorm blade prc begins to work nicely once you get into the prc.

(bloodstorm blade's deal is that you get to apply the throwing and returning properties to melee weapons for free and can use martial maneuvers at throwing range. So you'd actually be throwing a battleaxe around)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 03:36 PM
In core, the following feats are a must:
Throw Anything - throw melee weapons (greataxe sounds nice)
Brutal Throw - attack rolls with thrown weapons use STR bonus instead of DEX
Power Throw - same as Power Attack, but with thrown weapons
Quick Draw - throw more than one weapon per round

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-29, 04:27 PM
Bloodstorm Blade in Tome of Battle is exactly what you need. You can throw around Battleaxes and Greataxes and they'll come right back to your hand instantly so you can make your next attack with them. You get to treat your thrown weapon attacks as though they were melee attacks, so you get Str to hit, 1.5 Str two-handed, you can Power Attack, you can throw an axe at the end of a charge with Leap Attack, you can use your martial maneuvers with thrown attacks, they don't provoke AoOs, etc. Definitely worth taking a look at.

AslanCross
2010-04-29, 04:33 PM
+1 for a Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade build, although it's subject to DM approval since Tome of Battle is not always allowed. Even if your DM might not like martial maneuvers, the Bloodstorm Blade doesn't get them (it only requires them) so with some tweaks that you can work out with your DM, it might be playable.

Doc Roc
2010-04-29, 04:34 PM
+1 for a Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade build, although it's subject to DM approval since Tome of Battle is not always allowed. Even if your DM might not like martial maneuvers, the Bloodstorm Blade doesn't get them (it only requires them) so with some tweaks that you can work out with your DM, it might be playable.

+2
This is the bomb-diggity of throwing builds.
See if you can get your axes to count for Boomerang Daze, even if you have to take EWP to get it. So worth it.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-29, 04:36 PM
Heh heh heh... I remade the Lord of Blades for my most recent Eberron game as a Bloodstorm Blade. He had artifact component wings, and he flew around throwing a greatsword and turning Sharn city watchmen into red mist. Good times.

AslanCross
2010-04-29, 04:37 PM
In core, the following feats are a must:
Throw Anything - throw melee weapons (greataxe sounds nice)
Brutal Throw - attack rolls with thrown weapons use STR bonus instead of DEX
Power Throw - same as Power Attack, but with thrown weapons
Quick Draw - throw more than one weapon per round

But these aren't core. (Apart from Quick Draw) :smallfrown:
The rest are in Complete Warrior, IIRC, which isn't a core book.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-29, 04:40 PM
Master Thrower (Complete Warrior). Complements Bloodstorm Blade nicely as well, if you have ToB.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-29, 06:42 PM

Uhm, my core is bigger than your core!? :smallamused:

Eldariel
2010-04-29, 06:54 PM

Complete Adventurer for most. CWar has Throw Anything, Brutal/Power are Adv.

veovius
2010-04-29, 06:55 PM
Titan Bloodline for throwing a 40 lb Gargantuan Warhammer :D

demidracolich
2010-04-29, 06:58 PM
Hulking Hurler is nice but you have to be at least large. Though at higher levels you could throw the moon if you wanted to.

Vilyathas
2010-04-30, 12:42 AM
Agreed with the Bloodstorm Blade. Or you can start as a Scout to add some skirmish damage to your throwing axes.

Eldariel
2010-04-30, 12:59 AM
Hulking Hurler is nice but you have to be at least large. Though at higher levels you could throw the moon if you wanted to.

You gotta be large for War Hulk anyways so that's a non-issue. Hulking Hurler War Hulk is the standard combo since War Hulk is a very efficient means of increasing your Carrying Capacity.

Zilfana
2010-04-30, 01:45 PM
I think I'll go try out a warblade, and as for as restrictions go, the DM said there are none for this particular campaign. So what books do I need to find or at least see if the DM has them? All I have is core.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-30, 02:18 PM
All you really need is Tome of Battle. Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer are icing on the delicious axe-throwing cake.

Zilfana
2010-04-30, 02:35 PM
But I like icing. Alright, thanks yall.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-30, 02:37 PM
Uhm, my core is bigger than your core!? :smallamused:

...That's not what core means.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-30, 02:51 PM
Bloodstorm blade is really nasty. Like, really.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-30, 03:26 PM
Bloodstorm blade is really nasty. Like, really.But in a good way.

deuxhero
2010-04-30, 03:32 PM
+2
This is the bomb-diggity of throwing builds.
See if you can get your axes to count for Boomerang Daze, even if you have to take EWP to get it. So worth it.

+3, except instead of axes, play a large character and throw around enemies.

Eldariel
2010-04-30, 03:37 PM
...That's not what core means.

Think it was a joke.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-30, 03:44 PM

I think a Bloodstorm Blade with Fling Ally/Fling Enemy would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-30, 03:54 PM
I think a Bloodstorm Blade with Fling Ally/Fling Enemy would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:Play a dragonborn and you can be Bowser from Super Mario RPG.

goken04
2010-04-30, 04:58 PM
I think a Bloodstorm Blade with Fling Ally/Fling Enemy would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

I'm inspired! Next one-shot I play at high enough level....

AslanCross
2010-04-30, 07:09 PM
Play a dragonborn and you can be Bowser from Super Mario RPG.

Thank you for my next character concept.

Flickerdart
2010-04-30, 07:16 PM
Get Leadership, get a Hulking Hurlr cohort. Have your cohort throw you and then throw your axe for double the power!*

*Note: Doubling of power is neither RAW nor RAI. Use with caution. Do not use if you are pregnant or expect to become pregnant. Side effects include death.