PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding/Building [PF/3.5]

satorian
2010-04-29, 05:07 PM
Hi all. So I've been asked to join a Pathfinder game a buddy is running. I've read the Pathfinder rules perfunctorily, but not in great detail save for the sorcerer rules. I also know about the polymorph nerf. I know in theory about the CMB stuff, but don't really know how it works yet.

Anyway, with their rogue/cleric having just dropped out, this group composed of a fighter/barb (AoO focus), Generalist wizard (SoD focus), and Ranger/Warlock (zap-em focus) is in need of either a skillmonkey or a healer or both. Another meleer probably couldn't hurt either. Another friend or two is likely to join, so I don't have to fulfill both roles. I choose... healer. I think.

So the options I have for myself so far are:
Paladin of Freedom concept, using either

Paladin of Freedom, using wands for extra heals and the cool kensai-esque weapon thing

Cleric with Liberation and Travel domains
or
Alternate concept

Sorcerer with Celestial bloodline and UMD

The build is for level 4.

Restrictions:
1) Core races
2) Books allowed are:
a) PF Core
b) 3.5 PHB2
c) Complete Warrior, Divine, Adventurer, Arcane
d) others by request
3) PF 25 point buy
4) Standard PF WBL (6000 gp)

Cloistered cleric is allowed. DMM persist I imagine will be, but won't be operable for so long it doesn't matter. I'm looking for a playable build at level 4 that will be fun to level up. I hope to stay in class to honor the PF goal of single-classing. So what I am looking for is feat advice or a nudge in one of my directions above.

Thanks, all!

Zumii
2010-04-29, 05:47 PM
I'm currently playing Repose//Healing PF Cleric.
Feat wise, Skill Focus is always useful :smallsmile:

Skill Focus
Choose a skill. You are particularly adept at that skill.

Benefit: You get a +3 bonus on all checks involving the chosen skill. If you have 10 or more ranks in that skill, this bonus increases to +6.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new skill.

satorian
2010-04-30, 08:23 AM
Just bumping once.

For reference, I understand 3.5 rather well. I've just never played anything but sorcerers, wizards, beguilers, psychic warriors and fighters. So I need a bit of help with cleric and Pathfinder.

Thanks you to the poster above, but I don't think Skill Focus is really up my alley. I don't wish to super-optimize, but I do want to be a little more optimized than that. I could only see using skill focus if I had a pressing need for a specific skill.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-30, 08:34 AM
I know in theory about the CMB stuff, but don't really know how it works yet.

CMB is the new combat maneuver method: instead of grapple, trip, etc have own method to do it.

CMB is Base + Str + size mod. This is opposed by CMD.
Also add in bonuses that add to attack from spells, feats, or other effectds (like Bard song).

CMD is 10 + Base attack + Str + Dex + Special size mod.
Add in anything that adds to touch: Deflection, Dodge, circumstance, insight, morale, profane, sacred, etc that add to AC. Like usual being flat footed takes away Dex and dodge bonuses to CMD.

So defender no longer rolls he takes 10. If you beat his score, you win and he is affected by combat maneuver.

satorian
2010-04-30, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I should have clarified that my toss out of CMB was just to illustrate that I am new to Pathfinder. What I am really looking for is advice on the character options I placed above and where I might take it.

Zumii
2010-04-30, 08:53 AM
Just bumping once.

For reference, I understand 3.5 rather well. I've just never played anything but sorcerers, wizards, beguilers, psychic warriors and fighters. So I need a bit of help with cleric and Pathfinder.

Thanks you to the poster above, but I don't think Skill Focus is really up my alley. I don't wish to super-optimize, but I do want to be a little more optimized than that. I could only see using skill focus if I had a pressing need for a specific skill.

This maybe of use: PF feats & reference document (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html)

subject42
2010-04-30, 09:07 AM
I'm going to assume that you're allowed to use 3.5 classes due to the Warlock in your party, so I would suggest asking for approval on a Factotum based on restriction D.

They're a class with pretty much all skills as class skills and 6 + INT mod skill points, so that covers your skillmonkey need.

With the opportunistic piety class feature they can do some minor healing, so that reduces, if not eliminates your need for healing.

With 3/4 BAB and the inspiration class feature, they can stand up in a melee for a few rounds without falling over.

Failing that, a cloistered cleric is always fun.

Mongoose87
2010-04-30, 09:34 AM
Take the dual role of skillmonkey and cleric: go with a cloistered cleric. They nerfed Divine Favor a bit, so it's not going to be like having a full BaB class, anymore, but you can still have a lot fun with that.

OldFart
2010-04-30, 10:29 AM
While not a "nudge" to paladin or cleric, Bard seems a good skill monkey/healer blend in PF. Several race choices bump Cha. Bard 5th + high int can give auto-success for knowledge of any critter <= party's CR, and versatile performer almost makes skill focus worthwhile.