PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a gestalt character

WildPyre
2010-04-29, 05:48 PM
Hmm you all seem like you enjoy a good challenge. (Well most of you anyway) So here's one for you...

I need a gestalt character for a solo game. I don't want anything OMGinsane game breaking, just something rather interesting and viable. The catches? I'll have a companion who's a cleric (if not a cleric/? gestalt as well), I'd like to play a goblin, melee would be preferable, and we'll be using the Eberron setting with Pathfinder rules...

And... GO!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-29, 10:52 PM
Druid//Unarmed Swordsage, Companion Spellbond, Natural Bond, Natural Spell, and whatever else you want. Get a Fleshraker or Dire Eagle as your animal companion.

Yorrin
2010-04-29, 11:51 PM
BF has suggested probably the most mechanically powerful class combo for a solo campaign.

I'm partial to Savage Species monster classes with a full-BAB class like Warblade, Crusader, or even a Dungeoncrasher-Fighter. Pick an outsider with caster levels and/or great spell-like abilities for best results.

The Rabbler
2010-04-29, 11:58 PM
you can never go wrong with factotum in a gestalt.

Godskook
2010-04-30, 12:03 AM
I'm going to disagree on the UASS part of BF's choice and vote for:

Druid//Totemist

-or-

Druid//Factotum

Actually, Factotum sounds like the way to go. Trapfinding, skills and a proper skill list seems to be the Druid's main faults, and Factotum 20 solves this quite handily.

Pluto
2010-04-30, 12:50 AM
Factotum//Archivist is about as good as it gets

(abuse the action economy, cast pretty much any spell, out-skillmonkey most other skillmonkeys, milk 3 good saves, turn undead, trapfinding, use Intelligence for pretty much everything)

WildPyre
2010-04-30, 01:05 AM
Eh I like the /idea/ of Factotum, but something about the actual way the class works doesn't really thrill me.

Not really wanting to play a druid either, though I was considering something out of the ToB.

gorfnab
2010-04-30, 01:47 AM
Eh I like the /idea/ of Factotum, but something about the actual way the class works doesn't really thrill me.

Not really wanting to play a druid either, though I was considering something out of the ToB.

Factotum // Warblade has some really nice Int synergy. You could easily go with a tripping focused build with Stormguard Warrior and two levels of Crusader (at levels 7 & 8) for Thicket of Blades.

Otherwise since you said you're using Eberron, a Warforged Artificer // Warblade / Crusader would be fairly self sufficient, basically a self repairing tank.

WildPyre
2010-04-30, 01:58 AM
Rogue/Warblade or Rogue/Swordsage was one of my thoughts, I like the flavor of swordsage over warblade in this instance but theres a part of me that doesn't want to have anything but a full on BAB prgression, especialy since between my character and my companion, I'll be the one doing most of the melee.

I also considered full levels in ranger and 50/50 on fighter and rogue. Geeze I tell you sometimes I come on here and feel like such an amature or something when I read people's suggestions.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-30, 02:02 AM
I had an egoist//factotum that dipped into some ToB classes and was a partial The Big Guy Is With Me build that basically could solo just about anything, with extreme prejudice. The DM asked me to stop it because I could do pretty much anything.

So, I tried factotum//artificer, which was considerably worse.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-30, 02:05 AM
Rogue/Warblade or Rogue/Swordsage was one of my thoughts, I like the flavor of swordsage over warblade in this instance but theres a part of me that doesn't want to have anything but a full on BAB prgression, especialy since between my character and my companion, I'll be the one doing most of the melee.

I also considered full levels in ranger and 50/50 on fighter and rogue. Geeze I tell you sometimes I come on here and feel like such an amature or something when I read people's suggestions.Rogue is for amateurs.

Factotum kicks rogue's arse in gestalt. Srsly.

Also, you'll want a caster. Much easier to inflict pain and overcome just about anything.

I mean, how does a fighter//rogue hope to handle incorporeal creatures? Planar travel? Casters of ANY persuasion?

WildPyre
2010-04-30, 02:06 AM
I had an egoist//factotum that dipped into some ToB classes and was a partial The Big Guy Is With Me build that basically could solo just about anything, with extreme prejudice. The DM asked me to stop it because I could do pretty much anything.

So, I tried factotum//artificer, which was considerably worse.

*laughs* Yeah that's what I'm trying to avoid... even though I'm going to be the only actual player, I will have a companion, and the game is going to be rather laid back so I don't need to be ubrerawesome kill everything guy. It's going to be a rather laid back game.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-30, 02:08 AM
*laughs* Yeah that's what I'm trying to avoid... even though I'm going to be the only actual player, I will have a companion, and the game is going to be rather laid back so I don't need to be ubrerawesome kill everything guy. It's going to be a rather laid back game.Perhaps an egoist//psychic warrior, straight-up? They both make awesome gishes, and together...

WildPyre
2010-04-30, 02:13 AM
Rogue is for amateurs.

Yeah... I'm also most probably playing a goblin...

In fact I just want to learn something more about WOW in this thread//:smallwink:

WHAT? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat)

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-30, 02:15 AM
In fact I just want to learn something more about WOW in this thread//:smallwink:Well, WOWIO (www.wowio.com) is giving out free comics. 5 per email address you've got. This is a good one. (http://www.wowio.com/users/searchresults.asp?nPublisherId=37)

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-04-30, 02:15 AM
No druid no factotum melee focused seems like actually interesting restrictions.

Wildshape Barbarian* // Unarmed Swordsage ?

*Class feature equivalencies are inferred from UA variants; like UA variants themselves, it requires DM permission/cooperation, but considering this build has no primary casting you're not going to break anything. Then again it's still a druid-y feel, so let's go for something different...

Wizard/Incantatrix // Warblade, focused on persisted buffs, could be pretty damn scary.

Asdfth
2010-04-30, 04:19 AM
Warblade// unarmed swordsage

kamikasei
2010-04-30, 04:24 AM
I've a soft spot for Warblade//Psion myself. A full manifester with full BAB and max hit die, no penalties for armour, and Int synergy. Doesn't have to be gamebreaking but is going to be tough and have lots of options available.

paddyfool
2010-04-30, 04:38 AM
So primarily a melee build, but self-sufficient. Most builds would have one strong mental stat - and which one you feel would fit the personality you'd like to RP will strongly affect what your character looks like.

If you go for Wis, you might want a (Barbarian or Wildshape ranger or Paladin with the Serenity feat)//(Psychic Warrior or Cleric). Cloistered Cleric is superior to regular Cleric for this, but makes an odd character concept with most of the options for the other side.

If you go for Cha, you might want a (EDIT: Crusader or Knight)//(Bard, Beguiler, Warlock or Dragonfire whatsit).

If Int, your Warblade//Rogue idea really isn't that bad, and fits a goblin pretty well; make sure you UMD it up, though, to give yourself options beyond being sneaky and hitting things.

That said, my build-fu really isn't on a par with most of this forum, so take what I say with a generous pinch of salt.

erikun
2010-04-30, 04:39 AM
Barbarian//Druid is a personal favorite, and it would be amusing to watch a little goblin turn into a bear and tear stuff apart. :smallbiggrin:

Other than that, Psionics is always fun to throw into the mix. Psychic Warrior//Monk is quite good and can go Psionic Monk, and the Psychic Warrior//Psion (Egoist) has a bunch of PP to throw around for powers. I would think a Psion//Lurk or Psion//Psychic Rogue would be interesting for a sneaky character with lots of powers, and taking a prestige class on the non-Psion side gets you fun abilities without losing manifester levels in the base Psion. Walk through walls as a Psion Uncarnate? Unlimited PP with Metamind?

I guess we could mix the two; Barbarian//Psychic Warrior or Barbarian//Tome of Battle would be quite a surprise to anyone who thinks the "little goblin" can't fight.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-30, 05:14 AM
I'm a fan of Druid, as much as the next guy, but, for a smattering of something different...

Warblade // Wizard

or

Warblade // Factotum

For the wizard, focus on buff spells on the wiz side.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-30, 05:29 AM
Beguiler//Warblade is a strong choice, particularly if you take Versatile Spellcaster and dip a level of Cleric so you can use your Beguiler spell slots to cast any spell on the Cleric list as an Int-based arcane spell. I'd get the Travel and probably Cold or Slime domains for more spell choices. Use Cloistered Cleric and swap out the Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion.

Goblin is far from a great race for a melee build, but maybe consider going Jungle Goblin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#jungleGoblins) to get a climb speed.

dspeyer
2010-04-30, 09:28 AM
Goblins are small -str +dex. Doing melee with one screams shadow hand and hence swordsage.

Swordsage has skills decently covered at 6+int with a good list, so you probably want either something casting-like on the other side or something full BAB.

For casting-like, you probably want wis for synergy, but you've already got a divine companion. Psychic warrior has nice options.

For full BAB, three things come to mind: swashbuckler using assassin's stance to power daring ambusher, paladin with serenity, and fighter until good feats run out. Mix them to taste.

What level is this, though? I've been assuming fairly low -- at high levels more options open.

NotMe
2010-04-30, 09:29 AM
If it's a solo campaign then you'll probably want lots of options rather than uber power. To me this suggest both skills (base skill points and int as an important stat), UMD and at least a smattering of spellcasting as there are just too many things in D&D that are difficult to deal with without magic.

Beguiler / Warblade is great for this (as pointed out above) as it covers a decent amount of magic, social skills, trapfinding, and sneaking, along with the saves, BAB and hitpoints that you always want in gestalt.

Incarnum can help with the versatility (incarnate for the best range of skill and misc boosters, totemist for natural weapons and outdoorsie type skills). If you were human then I'd suggest looking at chameleon for even more ability to rebuild your character each day with some great low to mid level spell access.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-30, 10:13 AM
Hmm you all seem like you enjoy a good challenge. (Well most of you anyway) So here's one for you...

I need a gestalt character for a solo game. I don't want anything OMGinsane game breaking, just something rather interesting and viable. The catches? I'll have a companion who's a cleric (if not a cleric/? gestalt as well), I'd like to play a goblin, melee would be preferable, and we'll be using the Eberron setting with Pathfinder rules...

And... GO!

Artificer/Factotum. Be a genius gadgeteer.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-30, 01:01 PM
I love goblins! They have so much going for them!

Here's my gestalt INT-Abusive Melee Monkey!

Race: Tasloi
Class: Swashbuckler 6/Rogue 4/Scarlet Corsair (SW) 10//Warblade 20

if you want psionics, here's my Undead Psiligious Supergenius:

Race: Blue (yes, the blue goblin)
Class: LA 1/Archivist 5/Walker in the Waste 10/Contemplative 4//Mantled Erudite 7/Psionic Uncarnate 10/Arch Psion 3

Yorrin
2010-04-30, 02:08 PM
After reading though other people's suggestions and your own feedback, I'd like to bring up the feat-rogue. Trades sneak-attack for fighter's feat progression (UA variant).

You really can't go wrong gestalting that with anything. Swordsage does seem to fit a Goblin, but you'd get more bang for your buck with Warblade, methinks. Use some of your extra feats to pick up Shadow-Hand maneuvers, if necessary.

Other suggestions include:
Feat Rogue|Wildshaping Ranger- Full BAB, a couple of good saves, and all the joys of Wildshaping.
Feat Rogue|PsyWar- More feats than you think you need... until you actually start planning your build and realize you'll use every one of them.
Feat Rogue|Warlock- Grab any basic glaive-lock build and give it lots of feats and skill points to burn.

Caliphbubba
2010-04-30, 02:20 PM
What about something like...

Warlock/Cleric/Eldritch Disciple//Warblade

lol I've been on an Eldritch Glaive kick lately...

or maybe something like

Dragonfire Adept//Warblade

TheThan
2010-04-30, 03:50 PM
Unarmed swordsage/monk. That should prove interesting enough.

monkey3
2010-05-03, 11:07 AM
How about a dread necromancer // Paladin of Tyranny?

Sit on your skeletal horse, holding a scythe, commanding your armies of undead.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 11:10 AM
How about a dread necromancer // Paladin of Tyranny?

Sit on your skeletal horse, holding a scythe, commanding your armies of undead.Too bad you can't add druid into the mix. Being a paladin of tyranny tyrannosaurus rex would kick ass.