PDA

View Full Version : War Hulk/Frenzied Berzerker?

Primehunter74
2010-04-29, 06:25 PM
Just wondering, how well do these work together? The DM of the campaign I'm in and I were joking around about making high or epic level characters and destroying sharn, and think it would be interesting to field a WH/FB. Just want to know if these are any good or if combining them would be a bad idea.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-29, 06:27 PM
War Hulk is really only good for monsters, gestalt, or post-Epic. No BAB advancement on a melee character is just too hurtful. After level 20 though, go wild...just make sure he doesn't have any allies within reach, or for that matter, within his move speed (Supreme Cleave).

Primehunter74
2010-04-29, 07:30 PM
Well, taking down sharn would probably require epic level. My main thought is that since everyone in the party would be epic level, they could send the wh/fb out first, letting him soffen up the opposion before charging in.
If only we could take down sharn. Sadly, we're playing D&D in an after school club, and our DM is a senior, so he wont be there next year and we only have a couple of sessions left til the club is over for the year.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-29, 07:39 PM
There's a bit of asynergy between Frenzied Berzerker and War Hulk. FB's damage output is based largely around power attacking very efficiently. Power attack loves BAB, so Warhulk doesn't synergise with it well. In general, I think that, while Warhulk certainly wouldn't hurt a FB build very much, there are much better uses of levels.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-29, 07:41 PM
War Hulk is really only good for monsters, gestalt, or post-Epic. No BAB advancement on a melee character is just too hurtful. After level 20 though, go wild...just make sure he doesn't have any allies within reach, or for that matter, within his move speed (Supreme Cleave).

Actually, by RAW, War Hulk is awesome for destroying buildings (get an Adamantine weapon) & attacking Large/Huge+ opponents.

If two (or three) adjacent squares (within reach of the War Hulk) are both occupied by the same monster, then when the War Hulk does a sweeping strike, he hits that monster two (or three) times (always assuming he hits their AC, of course).

A single Power-Attacked Sundering Swing at a wall damages 3 squares of it with one attack. Being smart, one would get Frenzied Berzerker first so that you'd have more than 5 Base Attack... or jump between them as you advance.

Eldariel
2010-04-29, 07:42 PM
WH can be used efficiently in few ways, but it doesn't play into the standard Barbarian Shock Trooper/Leap Attack simply because y'know, he lacks the BAB to Shock Trooper/Leap Attack. WH, however, has a perverse Str-score (we're talking 60+ when finishing the class). The key, therefore, is to find things that are Strength-checks (e.g. Tripping).

That one-level dip in EWP to get 2xStr to damage is nearly obligatory while otherwise it's pretty lousy (for a War Hulk, it's easily +15 to damage), and then you need attacks other than full attack. For that, you want ToB levels, Hulking Hurler (which is completely broken in combination with War Hulk; who cares if you only get one attack when that one attack deals ~1000000 damage and affects an area?) and other ways to gain special standard action abilities that preferably derive off your Str for massive damage.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the other method: Get a Skillful weapon or Divine Power on you and you'll be a sick full BAB Sick Str melee type.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-29, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah, forgot that too...

Divine Power + War Hulk = OMG!!!

Runestar
2010-04-30, 05:32 AM
Or a skillful weapon at least, which gives you 3/4 bab. :smallsmile:

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-04-30, 12:14 PM
Or a skillful weapon at least, which gives you 3/4 bab. :smallsmile:

Use this or somehow get around the issue of making Divine Power nonpersonal and go to town. War Weaver with Arcane Disciple is probably the best bet.

Mongoose87
2010-04-30, 12:16 PM
That one-level dip in EWP to get 2xStr to damage

What is EWP?

Gametime
2010-04-30, 12:22 PM

War Hulk can skip squares. There's no risk of hitting allies.

Eldariel
2010-04-30, 12:28 PM
What is EWP?

*EWM; Exotic Weapon Master.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-30, 12:51 PM

Frenzied Berserker.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-30, 12:53 PM
I love War Hulk, especially with a Half-Minotaur Half-Giant! Hello, Mr. Huge Greataxe...

The Glyphstone
2010-04-30, 01:50 PM

That's not what I meant -I meant once he cleaves down the enemies, he's still frenzying, and Supreme Cleave will let him go after non-adjacent allies next.