PDA

View Full Version : Does nobody like Tome of Magic?(3.5)

Protecar
2010-04-29, 07:29 PM
So I'll admit: I'm frustrated just a tad. I've sampled a couple char generators by now--one's that are the best from what I understand. I tried heroforge and have now tried etools: neither of which seem to have ToM support--no Binders, or Anima Mages. Just nothin'. Seeing as I'm running an anima mage right now, it's quite the let down.

So, am I missing something? Anybody know of a program/program add on so I can stat out characters that use classes I use?

Prodan
2010-04-29, 07:30 PM
Hm.... Can't say I've seen anyone support ToM classes either.

Protecar
2010-04-29, 07:35 PM
*shrugs* I don't get it. I mean, Binders have nice flavor and I think the Anima Mage itself is pretty sweet also. Nice flavor and a some decent dual-progression. :smallsmile:

sonofzeal
2010-04-29, 07:35 PM
Binders are really hard to set up that way, and Shadowcasters and Truenamers are pretty unpopular. Plus, ToM isn't one of the major books. I think you're out of luck.

Eldariel
2010-04-29, 07:36 PM
This is why I stat up everything manually anyways; it's hard to find support for the Late 3.5 Sources. But Binders are well-liked and are even expanded with new Vestiges in various releases (Dragon Magic, few online articles, etc.), so you'd think someone would've added them to their Char Gen. That said...yeah, do it manually and you're fine.

TheThan
2010-04-29, 07:41 PM
A lot of people here like the systems in the TOM. But they aren’t as powerful as the core spellcasting classes and I think a lot of other people get hung up on that.

honestly, I think the TOM classes are about as powerful as the core spellcasters ought to be.

Optimystik
2010-04-29, 07:47 PM
As others have said, Binders are a bit complicated to toss into a char builder. Shadowcasters are somewhat weak, and complicated as well. Truenamers... yeah.

Zeta Kai
2010-04-29, 08:34 PM
honestly, I think the TOM classes are about as powerful as the core spellcasters ought to be.

Binders? Sure.

Shadowcasters? Maybe.

Truenamers? WTF?!?

The Tygre
2010-04-29, 08:35 PM
Look around Homebrew; folks there love ToM. Heck, even truenaming got enough hugs and kisses to get a makeover or two. As for why it's not on any character gen, I can only guess that folks aren't up for statting programming three new systems of magic from one book. Might also be an age thing; ToM came out relatively late.